02/15/09 [DMFA #972] - Backstory… words words words words…

Started by Jairus, February 15, 2009, 01:16:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jairus

Wooo! Backstory!!!! ... ho boy.

You know what? I'm finding Regina less and less likable the more we learn about her. Offhand, I'd say Dan would be totally justified in killing Regina.

Also, I sense that this is Regina's Story in the space of three panels. Wee!
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Baal Hadad

I hate to say it, but that's about all I want to KNOW of her backstory....

Seriously, she isn't really that interesting of a character so far--my only hope is that she either comes to have a better raison d'etre or else isn't seen that much....

Although the fact that she knows Edward is interesting....

Janus Whitefurr

I'm sure her fans will cry that she deserves a better story extrapolation than that, with all their expectative buildup of such a 'beautiful' character.

Now I'm going to go off into a corner and quietly laugh.
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Jairus

Quote from: Janus Whitefurr on February 15, 2009, 01:24:51 AM
I'm sure her fans will cry that she deserves a better story extrapolation than that, with all their expectative buildup of such a 'beautiful' character.

May I join you?

You know, that one panel where we first met her? Offhand, I'd say that's the straw that broke Dan's back and really pissed him off. Telling him that they'd be perfect for each other after she's killed innocent beings and manipulated him and almost killed his friends? Yeah, that would push him over the edge. And then when he attacks her, she does that whole "destroy you and everything you love" thing. Such a lovely character.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Howl

Regina! Put your cast page outfit on and fight Dan already!

Tyranastrasz

Quote from: Jairus on February 15, 2009, 01:27:32 AM

May I join you?
I'll bring the popcorn so we can enjoy watching the Regina fans in comfort!

Noone

I predict that panel 971 ruined 64.8% of Regina based fanfics and that panel 942 ruined 58.1% of the remaining ones. I also predict that 86.4% of the ruined ones deal with some relationship between Dan and Regina.

On a more serious note, I wonder what would happen if Lorenda saw Dan and Regina fighting in the open. I know Regina and Lorenda don't get along, but I wonder how far that actually goes.

Angel

Black_Angel's vocal reaction!

"Bo - huh - ageh - beh - a-heh-de-beh- ...HUH?"  :erk ...  :dface No wonder Dan hates demons and cubi and "monsters"!

As I said once before, I don't think I'll end up liking Regina a lot. With her personality and this new knowledge combined, I may end up hating her. But she must be really fun to write for. My inner writer would kill for a character like that.

...Which was probably a poor choice of words given the comic. A-heh.
The Real Myth of Sisyphus:
The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water spout,
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,
And the itsy-bitsy spider went up the spout again...
BANDWAGON JUMP!

inuhanyo

Quote from: Jairus on February 15, 2009, 01:16:18 AM
Wooo! Backstory!!!! ... ho boy.

You know what? I'm finding Regina less and less likable the more we learn about her. Offhand, I'd say Dan would be totally justified in killing Regina.

Also, I sense that this is Regina's Story in the space of three panels. Wee!
Well, Amber warned us what Regina was like.

Interesting that she thinks of Dan as "that adventurer's son".   Does she even realize that Dan is Aliph's slayer?   She's scared of him, but her fear seems purely based on her own previous encounter with Dan.   Which seems to have gone badly enough.

Quote from: The1Kobra on February 15, 2009, 01:38:33 AM
I predict that panel 971 ruined 64.8% of Regina based fanfics and that panel 942 ruined 58.1% of the remaining ones. I also predict that 86.4% of the ruined ones deal with some relationship between Dan and Regina.

On a more serious note, I wonder what would happen if Lorenda saw Dan and Regina fighting in the open. I know Regina and Lorenda don't get along, but I wonder how far that actually goes.
Yeah, judgeing by the forum comments, there was a lot of shipping speculation going on.
I expect the writers are quite disappointed.

Lorenda stormed away, but was she planning on going back to Jyrrias'  or is she just walking to cool off? 

!KCA

I suspect the actual sequence of events went something like this:

- Regina manages to convince Dan she's okay.
- Then kills a dozen people with Dan's unwitting help.
- Dan retaliates to stop her from killing anyone else (or something).
- Regina's vow of destruction may occur here or at any point onward, frankly.
- Regina tries to kill Dan & co.
- They escape however.

M

Well, isn't she just a ray of sunshine?

I think it's rather interesting just how blasé Regina thinks her actions were. She just seems more and more mentally immature with every strip. I can't wait to see what happens because of it.

inuhanyo

Quote from: !KCA on February 15, 2009, 01:53:12 AM
I suspect the actual sequence of events went something like this:

- Regina manages to convince Dan she's okay.
- Then kills a dozen people with Dan's unwitting help.
- Dan retaliates to stop her from killing anyone else (or something).
- Regina's vow of destruction may occur here or at any point onward, frankly.
- Regina tries to kill Dan & co.
- They escape however.

If Dan & co escaped from her, then why is Regina running from Dan now?   She clearly fears Dan enough not to try and face him.  So it's more likely Regina managed to escape Dan, than vice versa

Quote from: Marmonstein on February 15, 2009, 02:02:06 AM
Well, isn't she just a ray of sunshine?

I think it's rather interesting just how blasé Regina thinks her actions were. She just seems more and more mentally immature with every strip. I can't wait to see what happens because of it.
Well, the demon philosophy is "might makes right".  Hence the lack of vengeance seeking from a slain demon's relatives.  The moral immaturity isn't just Regina's. 

Running into these kind of Creatures is how Dan got his prejudice.  Perfectly rational.

AmigaDragon

Her "that adventurer's son" comment indicates that she knows of Edward and his relationshiop to Dan, even if she can't be bothered to remember their names (at least one mere being). Has she realized yet that this is the "cubi representative", and likely an incubus himself? Or in her mind, is he just a prior being encounter that she lost to once already (whether alone or with others' help)? If the latter, how about her reaction when she realizes he's not just a being? If she's scared now, that should escalate it a bit, whether he feeds on it or not (Ink mentioned a negative for fear affinity).

Potential outcome, Regina hides behind Lorenda wanting protection from the "ten levels of angry" adventurer. Yeah, that's it, put cousin between you and danger.

Off topic, while Amber is doing an update of some kind to the whole site, it would be nice if there was an index in the archives pointing to all the reader letters and other non-story strips (Amber and fluffy). As it is, they're hiding among the regular story strips and hard to find (I'm looking for the "neko-kitty" one to show a friend).

----------------
Now playing on Winamp: Johann Sebastian Bach - Cello Suite No. 3 (Classical Minnesota Public Radio)
via FoxyTunes
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

joshofspam

Has any one noticed how similar Kria and Regina sound in this page. :P

I would have to guess that demons belief that might makes right, makes it seem strange to them when other strong beings don't have the same view and come after them with pointy objects.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Michael Chandra

Only one thing to say: Exposition! (No need for a 200-page backstory on the one with the curved horns and bone wing.)

Aw... Can't find a miner-Amber image. (From that time where they just hit a whole new vein of awkward.)

By the way, of course she thinks of that adventurer's son, since back then Dan was just a kid, probably not attending Adventurer School yet. His dad on the other hand was probably still known as adventurer. Though I'm rather curious on if the rest of the 2 memory panels from 388 are related to the same incident.

PS: Mindset from demons:
QuoteDemonology 101: The Demon Race
Demons seem to go by a rule of power.
Because of this, most demons don't have a real notion of revenge or vengeance if one of their own kind is slain. After all, by their own belief system, if someone is able to defeat them, that other creature or being is obviously worthy.

Kipiru

Amber took the easy way out again with that backstory- I'm kind of glad though, not sure if I could stomach a sidestory or a lenghtly flashback with that pink harpy! Oh, crap- now Amber is sure to do it!

Quote from: Minishear on February 15, 2009, 01:31:26 AM
Regina! Put your cast page outfit on and fight Dan already!

Fanboy  :)

inuhanyo

Quote from: AmigaDragon on February 15, 2009, 03:16:51 AM
... Has she realized yet that this is the "cubi representative", and likely an incubus himself? Or in her mind, is he just a prior being encounter that she lost to once already (whether alone or with others' help)? If the latter, how about her reaction when she realizes he's not just a being? If she's scared now, that should escalate it a bit, whether he feeds on it or not (Ink mentioned a negative for fear affinity).

I'm thinking Regina doesn't even realize that "that adventurer's son" is "the fellow who has been killing Aliph".  Let alone associated him with the "cubi representative".  Petty and ignorant.  But her prior encounter with Dan taught her enough that she's the one fleeing.  The more she learns about Dan, the more reason she'll have to be scared of him.

While cubi have an affinity for a particular emotion, it appears that they can use other emotions as well, just not as effectively.  Abel, for instance, despite having an affinity for misery, prefers confusion.   Dan has his clan's affinity for pain, but fighting the good fight is his optimum situation.

Quote from: Michael Chandra on February 15, 2009, 03:33:15 AM
By the way, of course she thinks of that adventurer's son, since back then Dan was just a kid, probably not attending Adventurer School yet. His dad on the other hand was probably still known as adventurer. Though I'm rather curious on if the rest of the 2 memory panels from 388 are related to the same incident.
Dan (25) is two years older than Regina (23), that image of her on page 388 can't have been that long ago.  And Dan's first encounter with DP was two days after he graduated from adventurer's school. 

Since Wildy was involved, yet didn't belive Dan's "war stories", it would have had to occur while Dan was home, either after he retired or while he was "on vacation".

Madmann135

Regina is Lucky to have Kira as an aunt AND Lorenda as a cousin or else Regina's blood might be spilled in the next few minutes.
Kira may be eccentric in her approach to wooing a guy and her direct approach cough Dan off guard ...but that was bound to happen.

At the end of this I think Regina is going to owe Kira and Lorenda her life.  Dan may be a young cubi but he is a skilled and retired adventurer.

Yes, I do post just to see my own words on the screen.

!KCA

Quote from: inuhanyo on February 15, 2009, 02:18:35 AM
If Dan & co escaped from her, then why is Regina running from Dan now?   She clearly fears Dan enough not to try and face him.  So it's more likely Regina managed to escape Dan, than vice versa

You can't escape your enemy by beating them to a bloody pulp?

Tiger_T

No. That's when you walk away. :P

Well, unless you're in a panic, that is.
Tigriel's got a guest:

A Furry fan, that's what I am! - Proud member of the AP-Team. - Avatar Art by INK

llearch n'n'daCorna

Off topic, while Amber is doing an update of some kind to the whole site, it would be nice if there was an index in the archives pointing to all the reader letters and other non-story strips (Amber and fluffy). As it is, they're hiding among the regular story strips and hard to find (I'm looking for the "neko-kitty" one to show a friend).

I'll add that to the list of things we might or might not add.

In the mean time, I think you're looking for strip 619.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Ren Gaulen

Slamming someone's face with a tray without any warning is.. unforgivable. >:[

But I have to admit, so far her backstory does not seem to be particularly impressive - I mean, things like that must be somewhat common on Furrae.

Tapewolf

Off topic, while Amber is doing an update of some kind to the whole site, it would be nice if there was an index in the archives pointing to all the reader letters and other non-story strips (Amber and fluffy).

http://dmfa.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_%22Questions_from_the_Readers%22_and_other_informational_comics

Last Anthrocon, Amber was heard to say something like "Why are people so obsessed with Regina?  She's just a psychopath."  So I'm tempted to join you in that.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Ilusien

May I just compliment Amber of the recent backgrounds, they have been amazing and have completed the scenes perfectly!  :mowwink

llearch n'n'daCorna

I'm gonna sit here in the middle of everything and laugh out loud, k? ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

MT Hazard

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 15, 2009, 07:16:14 AM

Last Anthrocon, Amber was heard to say something like "Why are people so obsessed with Regina?  She's just a psychopath."  So I'm tempted to join you in that.

True, but she is also a new (ish) character and an interesting psychopath.

This is more than enough to get her many fans, serious, If you look back far enough there are probably entire topics devoted to characters with one panel appearances and/or shallow personalities.  

That and she is a way to further explore the backgrounds of other, more established characters.

But ultimately there are many fanboys and girls out there.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Alterationartist

Simple explanation for the fear Regina feels:

DAN IS A KEANU REEVES!! (cookie4ref)

Also. WE. WANT. ANGRY DAN! WE. WANT. ANGRY DAN!!
Round 9!

KelseyPotter

All I can say is I'm glad this wasn't a Friday (well, Monday now) update. If we had had to wait two whole days to find out what's going to happen next, I would not be able to concentrate on my work.

Quote from: Tyranastrasz on February 15, 2009, 01:37:12 AM
Quote from: Jairus on February 15, 2009, 01:27:32 AM

May I join you?
I'll bring the popcorn so we can enjoy watching the Regina fans in comfort!
Is there room for me over there? I have soda...

Turnsky

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on February 15, 2009, 07:29:52 AM

I'm gonna sit here in the middle of everything and laugh out loud, k? ;-]

i'll order the pizza.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Jack McSlay

Quote from: Janus Whitefurr on February 15, 2009, 01:24:51 AMI'm sure her fans will cry that she deserves a better story extrapolation than that, with all their expectative buildup of such a 'beautiful' character.

I don't think a whole lot are dissapointed. How many people are fans of Darth Vader compared to how many people are fans of Luke Skywalker?
Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to resume.