07/09/12 [DMFA #1334] - Jyrras is an engineer.

Started by joshofspam, September 07, 2012, 07:10:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wanderer

Quote from: Atharyn on September 08, 2012, 02:40:12 PMIs it possible Jy is using a compressed air gun (similar to a paintball gun) with darts or blades for ammo?

Why do people keep coming along and saying whta I want to say before I manage to get here? I've been thinking all along that the gun was probably pneumatic, but reading all these posts about people trying to figure out why it was so quiet made me want to come in and point out the possibility... only to find that someone's beaten me to it. Again. Bleh.

QuoteInsert Quote
Castrate gun? Hazawhatsit?

Caster gun. The caster is a weapon from the anime Outlaw Star which can fire a number of kinds of unique ammo, including exploding shots, magical shots, magic-piercing shots, and probably others that didn't appear in the few episodes I watched. It is also, apparently, dangerous to wield, and can drain the life of its user when fired.

IonOtter

Quote from: Atharyn on September 08, 2012, 02:40:12 PM
After reading all the conversations about guns, silencers, coil guns, and such I have a much simpler idea..

Is it possible Jy is using a compressed air gun (similar to a paintball gun) with darts or blades for ammo?  *snip* Given Jy's rather soft-hearted nature I don't think he would want to risk accidentally killing someone by missing.

A compressed air gun would be plausible.  Compressed air hunting rifles do indeed exist, and you can hunt buffalo with them, just like Lewis & Clark did.  You can also slaughter ranks of soldiers with them, just like the Austrians did.  But we haven't seen all of the gun just yet, so we can't tell if it has a reservoir for more than just a few shots.  CO2 cartridges don't carry enough PSI to give enough penetration power, you need higher pressure.

It would also be very quiet, as we've seen.

As for Jy's "soft-hearted nature", that's a very dangerous attitude.  Never question someone's resolve when they've got a gun in their hands.  It's not a recipe for a long and healthy life.

ANTIcarrot

On the subject of noise:
There is no reason why the gun cannot have a magical silencer mounted on it which drastically reduces noise.

On the subject of knowledge:
Aside from Jy, no one in this room knows what they don't know about guns.

Everyone in this room has almost certainly seen a repeating crossbow, and maybe a double action crossbow. They all know about (flintlock?) hand guns. They wil view the pistol in this context. Specifically, that while Jy is still acting as if it's loaded, and it might be, they all know there is a reason why projectile weapons do not dominate the adventure scene. They will assume it has, at best, one or two shots left. Some time later they may express curiosity about it being really small and compact, but nothing they have seen so far will be world shattering to any of them. The forth shot will be the brown trouser moment, when the weapon does something they believe to be utterly impossible. Until that happens, or a bulet makes a fist sized exit wound in someone, they will assume that he will not attack three people with (at most) two shots, because the survivor would kill him.

Speaking of which though, as others have pointed out Jy's Mum is a lawyer, and he probably knows exactly what he can get away with in this situation. (Probably quite a lot, given they're attacked the owner and staff, with lethal intent in one case.) And they are probably not going to want to attack too many beings, as it would be bad for business. If they recognise him, or Wildy points it out, they will definately not want to attack him, since he has sociopolitical connections with both the being and creature council (you do not want both annoyed with you!) and In Case Of Murder bounty clauses in wills may be common in this world.
<carefully leans closer to the spinning coffin>
"What's that Mr Mendel? Kill chakat Goldfur? Shi's making a mockery of all your theories?"

Lying Foo

...you know, is Lost Lake under any state authority?  No one but the adventurers seemed to care when Alexsi was kidnapped...
Itsuwari, osore, kyoshoku, urei - samazama wa negative ni torawareru hodo yowaku wa nai, kodoku mo shiranu Trickster.

KiloFoxx

Quote from: Lying Foo on September 08, 2012, 07:02:46 PM
...you know, is Lost Lake under any state authority?  No one but the adventurers seemed to care when Alexsi was kidnapped...

i don't think they reported it. just decided to get her back on their own and screw having a middleman.
seeing as every time they go shopping they end in in (i assume) Ziniv, AND that Jyrras got their protection from the Bachelor of the Year thing, that Lost Lake would be reletively close to the city. so unless the area of Lost Lake (not just the Inn) has its own police force, i think it's safe to assume everything would fall in Zinivh jurisdiction.

Eboreg

@ANTIcarrot: With flintlock weapons, the amount of loaded ammunition is directly proportional to the amount of barrels. Jyrras will get the point across if he fires another shot. I should also note that flintlock weapons are not known for their accuracy. The fact that Jyrras hit someone's ear and was aiming for it is enough cause for surprise. I also get the feeling that Wildy already knows how many shots Jyrras has.
Quote from: Amber Williams on October 29, 2012, 05:55:06 PM
I expect if flamethrowers exist, Matilda would be tempted to install one into her shower.

Jasae Bushae

Quote from: Wanderer on September 08, 2012, 03:15:18 PM
Caster gun. The caster is a weapon from the anime Outlaw Star which can fire a number of kinds of unique ammo, including exploding shots, magical shots, magic-piercing shots, and probably others that didn't appear in the few episodes I watched. It is also, apparently, dangerous to wield, and can drain the life of its user when fired.

Umm, I might be misremembering things a bit but from the discussiony thread where guns had come up before, Im pretty sure Amber mentioned that it was possible to make magic bullets for odd effects like that XD (though i also recall her mentioning the shelf life for such spells was super duper short for reasons i cant recall)

so in a sense, caster guns have already been a thing XD

To throw my own two cents into this how is the gun so quiet discussion, given how jyrras had no reluctance whatsoever to mix science with magic (asking for help from people who can do magic to create things like those disguise braclets and the laptop and the very existence of deathbringer) so it might not be an entirly mechanical device (even though once you get the difficulty of inventing the buggers out of the way their relatively easy to fashion)

and as for how he happend to have the gun....Im going to spec that either pip fetched it or jyrras somehow fashioned it from stuff in the kitchen XD (macguyver~)

I might be a hack writer but thats no reason not to Enjoy writing anyways
http://greenfrostfire.deviantart.com/

Pvblivs

QuoteHe also threw all pretense at caution to the wind, and developed not just another artificial form of life, but one that is apparently heavily armed.  I.E. Macy.

Let's be fair.  Macy was created by accident.  The heavily-armed chassis was deliberate, though.

Gamma

While this info is 4+ years old it at least reminded me about the fact they have indeed thought about typical semi-automatic pistols in Furrae. Wildy's novel had Dan using a couple.
I wouldn't blame Amber if all of this is completely irrelevant now, including the novel.
Whatever is best for the story is what I'd like to see occur no matter what. :eager
011010000111010001110100011100000011101000101111001011110111011101110111011101110010111001111001011011110111010101110100011101010110001001100101001011100110001101101111011011010010111101110111011000010111010001100011011010000011111101110110001111010110111101001000011001110011010101010011010010100101100101010010010010000100000100110000

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: KiloFoxx on September 08, 2012, 08:04:44 PM

i don't think they reported it. just decided to get her back on their own and screw having a middleman.
seeing as every time they go shopping they end in in (i assume) Ziniv, AND that Jyrras got their protection from the Bachelor of the Year thing, that Lost Lake would be reletively close to the city. so unless the area of Lost Lake (not just the Inn) has its own police force, i think it's safe to assume everything would fall in Zinivh jurisdiction.

Zinvth. Not only have you not got it correct, you've got it totally wrong in two different ways in the same post. Pay attention, Zinvth has been brought up before in the last two pages. Sheesh.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Prroul

I would like to point out the ma-duce-esque in Jy-Jy's lab that Lorenda was told was a farming implement. If he wanted to paint the room red, he could've easily done it. And that he's built far bigger and more dangerous firearms. Which means he's also probably rather familiar with them.

Also, it doesn't take a very large gun to inflict severe damage. For example, he was aiming pretty high to hit Peg's ear... now he's aiming at Jyrras's head height. Which, if I do some calculations... hmm... carry the two... ahh, would put the aim in a rather... tender... location. It's a safe bet to say that's a semi-auto pistol, of whatever flavor it might be. The calibre seems small, considering the size of the wielder, so either it's tossing darts, or small calibre bullets. Which means a clip in the grip can probably hold more than enough to pick off the entire BOB. Depending on his accuracy, they may well not have a chance to effect a response, particularly not when Wildy is NOT going to let her favourite shipee get hurt.

I would also respectfully submit that Macy has Energy Blades and would just love the chance to run the Gryph-Mech. Depending on how upset Jyras is, she may have not even needed to initiate response three.

So yea... taking a gun to a knife fight is a good idea. I just hope BOB realizes just how badly they are out-gunned (and yes, that was pun-intentional), or there may be body bags before they learn the lesson.

Let's also point out that Pyroduck frequents Lost Lake. You know, the Dragon. And his girlfriend is now lying unconcious on the floor. As well as Able, his adopted step-brother (I think? I mean, he was adopted by Fa'lina, so there's at least some kind of bond there).

Speaking of Alexis, I don't know how long she's going to be down, but you can bet she's gonna come up swinging. And there's only three people who have ever beaten her, and Mom isn't present.

As for carp-storms... that sounds kind of fishy to me. It's one thing to tip the scales, without without getting puffered up about it. I mean, sure, someone's gonna need a Sturgeon after this, if they don't clam up, but I don't think Jyrras is shellfish enough hog all the glory...

Ryy Lazurus

I just want tae go on the record and say that I did NOT see this coming!

Things are really escalating here and I am enjoying the ride!

IonOtter

Quote from: Prroul on September 09, 2012, 04:52:03 AM
As for carp-storms... that sounds kind of fishy to me. It's one thing to tip the scales, without without getting puffered up about it. I mean, sure, someone's gonna need a Sturgeon after this, if they don't clam up, but I don't think Jyrras is shellfish enough hog all the glory...

Yes, well, the alternative would get me booted out on my bass...

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on September 09, 2012, 04:11:52 AM
Zinvth. Not only have you not got it correct, you've got it totally wrong in two different ways in the same post. Pay attention, Zinvth has been brought up before in the last two pages. Sheesh.

Hypothetically speaking, what would you do if I said it was spelled 'Zinvth'...?

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Nerikull

Of course, this is not the first time Jyrras has shown his marksmanship: http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_036.php

Quote from: Janus Whitefurr on September 08, 2012, 10:34:36 AM
Quote from: Jyoumon on September 08, 2012, 09:11:51 AM
Ok...I expect to see a Caster gun next XDD :)

*skids into thread*

CASTER SHELLS WILL NOT WORK AGAINST HAZANKO!

*flees thread*

O HAI THAR! Seems I'm not the only run-thru lurker!  >:3
--Nerikull Murakami
"When life hands you lemons, chuck them back until life hands you the winning lottery ticket!"

KiloFoxx

Quote from: KiloFoxx on September 08, 2012, 08:04:44 PM

yeah i'm dyslexic. and i have a terrible memory when it comes to names.
i'm also PC-less and i have to type this on a Wii. which dosn't let me open up tabs to check my spelling.

regardless. it should be my POINT that gets discussed. NOT my spelling.

Lying Foo

IIRC (although I can't find the strip), Jyrras only got the protection of Zinvth by being featured in that magazine; that implies he wasn't already a citizen.
Itsuwari, osore, kyoshoku, urei - samazama wa negative ni torawareru hodo yowaku wa nai, kodoku mo shiranu Trickster.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Lying Foo on September 09, 2012, 02:56:16 PM
IIRC (although I can't find the strip), Jyrras only got the protection of Zinvth by being featured in that magazine; that implies he wasn't already a citizen.

I can't find it - Zinvth wasn't mentioned, and I'm not sure they care anyway.  It was just 'Creature Groups' and the Creature Council that were named.

In any case, these make interesting reading:
http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_1027.php
http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_1029.php

I really have no clue what Mab is doing.  Originally I assumed that she was trying to make the Beings more equal, but given how they seem to be able to run around stabbing Creatures in the back in their own homes with total impunity, and given how p1332 strongly implies that it's us-vs-them for every single race, it has to be something more.
IMHO the Beings don't seem to need much help and even if she did promote them further up the ladder that's just rearranging things and I'm sure the pecking order has changed anyway over the millennia.

Besides, it's interesting to note that the first use of his advanced weapons has not been to defend Beings against Creatures, but to protect a Creature against Beings.

P1027 is particularly interesting:
"It's only a matter of time before the Creature Council puts pressure on Jyrras and he reacts with his weapons.  But without that final one..."
"...They will stomp not only him but your other four friends."

The handgun is probably not the Final One.  But it's going to be interesting to see how it unfolds, since it's liable to freak out the Council once they get wind of the weapons.  And Kria, who was mentioned earlier w.r.t. Abel, has ties with the Council.

Lying Foo

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 09, 2012, 03:31:35 PM
I can't find it - Zinvth wasn't mentioned, and I'm not sure they care anyway.  It was just 'Creature Groups' and the Creature Council that were named.

Ah... here is the one I was looking for.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Lying Foo on September 09, 2012, 03:39:33 PM
Ah... here is the one I was looking for.

Ah, I see - so that gives him Zinvth's protection courtesy of Zinvth's security forces - not protection from Zinvth.  That could make things pretty ugly for the BOB if word should somehow get out that they were targeting him.

joshofspam

I've actually come to wonder what Pegasus means by "you of all folks should know better"?

That seems to hints at some experience of dealing with cubi in Nitemyste's past. Maybe he had a short relationship at one time with a cubi?
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

supermike

Quote from: supermike on August 15, 2012, 11:39:02 AM
Quote from: Nino on August 10, 2012, 01:42:55 AM

http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_1265.php

We're at chapter 30! I'm not sure if this has been brought up already, but I just noticed it :p

Logically the only person capable of producing a gun is Jyrras.  He had those auto-turrets and has been stuck doing research to avoid the press.

called it  :ipod also to abel  :bday

Kayriel

Quote from: AmigaDragon on September 07, 2012, 10:54:28 AM
Quote from: Black_angel on September 07, 2012, 09:26:12 AMPoint being Jyrras just got his Rock Lee moment.

Who? Never heard of him.

Hehe, I think much of the speculation was that Jyrras would pull out some impressively large gun, not a little pistol. Despite their anger, how healthy is their respect for this pea shooter?
Hehe, Wildy's annoyed.

Of course Wildy's annoyed.

A: Jyrras just broke in on her action.
B: Considering the possibility that she and Biggs are Wereferrets due to it seeming that his silhouette (and neck-bling) are on the Council of Creatures, she'd know it's problematic for Jyrras' dangerous technology to be displayed before the world's ready for it.
<3 Abel

Turnsky

i think the main point to note here, above all else is the one empirical thing:

Jy not only made the gun.

It seems, that he also knows how to use it with a fair amount of precision.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Madmann135

Firearms are not easy to use no matter what anyone says.  What Jyrras did is both impressive and frighting.
It is impressive because he was able to hit a small moving target on the first shot, it is frighting because the time and training to pull off such a shot is extensive and continuous.  It is also frighting because that did not 'sound' close to an expanding gas propelled projectile (it sounded closer to capacitors or batteries discharging).  

Yes, I do post just to see my own words on the screen.

Emerauld Drathmir

Quote from: ishidan on September 07, 2012, 05:39:50 PM

Problems like "how do I stop some mean motherhubbard from tearing Abel a structurally superfluous...oops too late."

Then the BOB decides they aren't impressed, and take aim at Jy.  Enter Mace, with a shoulder cannon that looks like it's out of Girl Genius.

"And if that don't work...use more gun."
Death Ray!  Get it right...:p

Yegods!  Someone got Punster Prroul started!  Head for the hills!

@Prroul:

I think that would initiate response 1:  "Squeeeeeeee!  Thank you Daddy!"
Yoho, yo ho, a pirate's life for me...Darn it Bean, no Looting until after dinner!
--Home of Angst Technology/Weak-end Warriors/Sorry We're Open, and InkTank-now back from hiatus.

Starcat5

Quote from: Kayriel on September 09, 2012, 10:45:07 PM
B: Considering the possibility that she and Biggs are Wereferrets due to it seeming that his silhouette (and neck-bling) are on the Council of Creatures, she'd know it's problematic for Jyrras' dangerous technology to be displayed before the world's ready for it.

What are you smoking, and why aren't you sharing? Links, or it didn't happen.

...besides, everyone KNOWS that Ferrets are a sub-class of demon. Mind you, part of me has wanted her to be part Tanuki Mythos ever since she got that tail upgrade, but at this point I've given up hope.
Conservative Democrat or Liberal Republican: You decide!
The Centrist line has moved a long way to the Right over the years.

I'd argue that's a horribly shallow argument, except it's completely true. ~ooklah

Lying Foo

The reference is to this strip.  However, as has been pointed out many times, it could also be this woman, or whoever else.  The idea that Wildy and Biggs are weres has been bouncing around the forum a long time, for this and other reasons that are probably best not to get too deep into right now.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 09, 2012, 09:32:31 AM

Hypothetically speaking, what would you do if I said it was spelled 'Zinvth'...?

... Slap myself on the forehead and go d'oh, and then edit the page to show no sign of the previous spelling at all, ever, anywhere. Why?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on September 10, 2012, 08:25:13 AM
... Slap myself on the forehead and go d'oh, and then edit the page to show no sign of the previous spelling at all, ever, anywhere. Why?

Yeah, I thought so.  I'll keep it to myself, then...