07/09/12 [DMFA #1334] - Jyrras is an engineer.

Started by joshofspam, September 07, 2012, 07:10:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hanii Puppy

Quote from: Plotting on September 07, 2012, 09:48:15 AM
I would hazard a guess that Skirmish will be the next one to be shot or shot at as she seems to be a little angry with Jyrrus, and would likely attack him regardless of what the others say or do.

Horse boy might also try to attack Jyrrus considering what just happened to his ear.

It will be interesting to see if the bullets can go through magic shields. I don't think Jyrrus would be above getting someone to enchant his bullets to overcome magic shields, and it would be a wise move in a world where magic is soo prevalent. And hollow point ammunition would not be a bad idea either.

...mmm...enchanted hollow point bullets... >:3

Thought: Bullets made from Hollow-bone would probably go through magical shields :B

°Runs away° :U

FairWage22

There's something more important at work here.

Jyrras is *famous* (Like, tabloid famous, even if he isn't the Most Interesting Man in the World at the moment).  He just shot one of them.  Any hope of subtlety they had remaining just went out the window.  And if he really is using the bullets that are nigh non-magical...

Well, this whole situation just took a whole order of interesting at the drive-thru, didn't it?
For decades I viewed myself as a 'wageslave', captive to whims of others and not realizing that by Naming myself that I *defined* myself.

Now many years older and wiser, I am trying to be the change  I want to see.

Keleth

I would love a nice hot cup of "Served"

Oh, darn, some little kangaroo mouse and just bought it all up? Eh, I'll wait for the next pot to brew, no rush.
Help! I'm gay!

ishidan

Quote from: reathe on September 07, 2012, 10:20:12 AM
to be fair the .45 1911 is over 100 years old in design and is still used today.  the FBI dropped the autos they were using to issue the springfield trp 1911.  US marines abandoned the Beretta in favor of the 1911 to much joy of the soldiers just recently.

Well to be fair about the latter, the Beretta is an automatic too.

It's just that the Beretta was a 9mm:  much smaller round than the 1911's .45 ACP.  Sure, you can pack more of them in the magazine, but each round has less power.  These are MARINES we're talking about, though:  they pride themselves on making the bullets go where they want them, and when the bullet gets there, it had better DO DAMAGE.  No need to spray and pray fifteen rounds, if you can get the job done well in six.  Recoil?  Oh yes, sure, those other services with the weak-wristed boys can complain about recoil--again, MARINES.  

Of course, Jyrras's gun is a custom build to his roo-rat frame, and is clearly much smaller.

Hanii Puppy

Quote from: ishidan on September 07, 2012, 12:31:12 PMRecoil?  Oh yes, sure, those other services with the weak-wristed boys can complain about recoil--again, MARINES.

More recoil means less accuracy when firing in the sort of situations that marines would be. No point in having bullets that could kill elephants if you couldn't hit an elephant at ten paces.

Drayco84

ATTENTION! Gun discussion incoming. (Sorry Amber.)

Quote from: reathe on September 07, 2012, 10:20:12 AM
to be fair the .45 1911 is over 100 years old in design and is still used today.  the FBI dropped the autos they were using to issue the springfield trp 1911.  US marines abandoned the Beretta in favor of the 1911 to much joy of the solders just recently.  automatic pistol doesn't mean it's advanced.  as for sound you cant see how long it is,  if its got perhaps 8 inches of barrel it can be integrally suppressed and barrel bore looks to be about a .22 caliber so take the 5.7x28 for example,  is a quiet, very high velocity, very accurate round with fairly decent stopping power (good power considering its size).  Although i was wishing jyrras would pulled a .45 long colt.  its got class.  oh well,  hes an "engineer" not a classic pistol smith so an automatic as his personal working piece fits.  

remember...he was working with materials that have little to no magical residue and after a tipping point in purity, magic has little affect on it.  not sure how well a magical shield would hold up to residue free ammo.

Saying that a gun, even a 5.7x28, is "quiet" is like comparing the noise level of lawnmowers. EVERYBODY in the neighborhood is still going to know you're using one. Even with a suppressor, which only SLIGHTLY reduces the noise it produces, it's still going to be a LONG way from "Dfft". (Sorry to disappoint and bring in physics, but most guns DO propel the slug faster than the speed of sound, creating a sonic boom.) Plus, with those big ears, firing a gun without (lots of) hearing protection would be downright PAINFUL.

So... Unless Amber gets all her gun info from movies... (And I'm sure she didn't.) Just in case, though... Here's a couple Cracked articles: http://www.cracked.com/article_18576_5-ridiculous-gun-myths-everyone-believes-thanks-to-movies.html and http://www.cracked.com/article_19781_6-stupid-gun-myths-everyone-believes-thanks-to-movies.html (NOTICE: Most places view Cracked as NSFW.)

Thus, using what we DO know and judging from the thickness of the frame around the barrel, it's possible that this is a coil gun, which uses a series electromagnets to accelerate an iron/steel projectile to lethal speeds. This would have much less noise, (Maybe a low hum or comparable to a bow.) little recoil, and still be dangerous.

The only logic gap is where the power source for it would be...

ADDENDUM: Well, at least my gun-talk won't be so out of place now...
.45s are LARGE slugs that go with the mentality of "Beat the snot out of the target." and have tremendous recoil, not something that weak-armed Jyrras could easily handle. And this is getting off-topic.

Eboreg

(Must ... not ... nitpick ... oh what the hell) The size of the barrel compared to the rest of the gun makes it seem that Jyrras prioritized armor-piercing capabilities over stopping power, which is not a bad idea if a major threat can make its skin as hard as diamond. However, such a bullet would tumble in flesh leaving a larger wound. The lack of visible sights is a bit of a downer for me and Jyrras seems to lack trigger discipline, which is understandable given that he practically invented the gun and hasn't released it yet.

Still, I have to admit that if Amber hadn't released all of the foreshadowing she did, this scene would be considered jumping the shark.
Quote from: Amber Williams on October 29, 2012, 05:55:06 PM
I expect if flamethrowers exist, Matilda would be tempted to install one into her shower.

justacritic

At least Amber was fortunate not to release any strips with things like cars. Could you imagine the level of flame that would ensure?

Amber-"Here I go posting a comic with a car in it."
*ten seconds later*
Amber-"I better check my e-mail" 'Click' "OH GOD THE SPAM I'M DROWNING IN IT!"

TacticalError

... What language is Skirmish speaking? Tikkish?

Quote from: Hanii Puppy on September 07, 2012, 12:37:51 PM
Quote from: ishidan on September 07, 2012, 12:31:12 PMRecoil?  Oh yes, sure, those other services with the weak-wristed boys can complain about recoil--again, MARINES.

More recoil means less accuracy when firing in the sort of situations that marines would be. No point in having bullets that could kill elephants if you couldn't hit an elephant at ten paces.

I sense a case of 'Youtube War Expert' coming...

Also, Wildy seems quite annoyed that Jyrras stole her fight.

Nino

Quote from: Eboreg on September 07, 2012, 12:54:50 PM
(Must ... not ... nitpick ... oh what the hell) The size of the barrel compared to the rest of the gun makes it seem that Jyrras prioritized armor-piercing capabilities over stopping power, which is not a bad idea if a major threat can make its skin as hard as diamond. However, such a bullet would tumble in flesh leaving a larger wound. The lack of visible sights is a bit of a downer for me and Jyrras seems to lack trigger discipline, which is understandable given that he practically invented the gun and hasn't released it yet.

Still, I have to admit that if Amber hadn't released all of the foreshadowing she did, this scene would be considered jumping the shark.

Really? I mean, the guy has a lab, has been shown to work on mechanical weapons in the past, and what he's been developing has gotten a ton of creatures worked up. In terms of his actions, this seems very in-character as well, considering his sense of justice and his respect and feelings for Abel. A huge, game-changing plot twist? Definitely. Almost jumping the shark? Ehhh.... it seems like something this whole chapter's been leading up to and not a 'wtf, where did this come from?' moment.

Also nobody mentions wildy hiss face? That's the best face. I almost wish Jyrras hadn't interrupted because seeing her next actions would have been potentially awesome (I assume her face at Jyrras is more of a 'what are you doing kind of thing).

On another note, creatures are obviously very touchy about not having the power that magic brings. I think the reason weres were almost killed off and humans aren't around is the same reason they want to get Jyrras for developing weapons like  this. Anything with magical immunity must go.

Arcblade

Amber, your witty dialogue just keeps getting better.  I love it.  Thanks for making this comic and thereby improving my day.   :)

Alondro

*sings*  Jyrras got a gun...  :giggle

*Charline is all over this comic!*  AWWW YEAHHH!!  Bloodshed!  Shoot those damned cubi killers!  I'd kill them all too!  And their families!  And anyone who so much as smiled at them in a friendly manner!  *and people wonder why no one trusts cubi...*
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Lying Foo

Quote from: Jairus on September 07, 2012, 11:18:52 AM
*eyebrow*

I believe there's an expression from American history for what Jyrras just did and will represent in the future: the shot heard 'round the world.

An onlooker firing into a tense standoff and starting a massive eight-year war... seems appropriate.
Itsuwari, osore, kyoshoku, urei - samazama wa negative ni torawareru hodo yowaku wa nai, kodoku mo shiranu Trickster.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Eboreg on September 07, 2012, 12:54:50 PM
(Must ... not ... nitpick ... oh what the hell)

Yeah, on that note I should probably remind people that one of the reasons Furrae doesn't have much in the way of guns is that Amber isn't a gun-nut.  So now that she has dipped a toe in that particular water, it might be nice to go easy on her.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Surzsha

I have to agree. If we can accept that magic exists and animals can walk on two legs, talk, and build societies like humans than we can accept Jyrras' gun of silence. Besides, if you want to be consistent in your nitpicks than why let all the traditional weapons slide? There's rules behind swords and armor too (I'm looking at you, buster sword...) .

... Still, if you do know about guns and can tell reality from fiction then good on you. I'm not gonna lie, I'd like to learn more about guns too.

Lurkie

Someone once remarked, "never piss off a techie".  Well, as an engineer Jyrras is most certainly a techie, and I would say that he is wholly pissed off.  (Surely I'm not the only one who's noticed Abel's blood on Skirmish's spearhead?)  I don't know if Jyrras was aiming for that ear, or if he missed the head shot, but in any case Pegasus is very lucky.  Check the elevation and angle of the shot, then transfer to the previous panel.  Yup.  Lucky, lucky Pegasus.  (Though that may be Amber's artistic license at work, and not anything deliberate on Jyrras' part.  Pegasus is still lucky. :) )
|  Space   ||   Space  ||  It's Hard  ||  A Place  ||  Burma  |
|  is Big  ||  is Dark ||   to Find   ||  to Park  ||  Shave  |

Attic Rat

Whatever the gun's capabilities, it seems Jyrras deliberately chose a non-lethal "warning shot" there. It's still not impossible for this incident to be settled without further damage.
Which would you like to be, ignorant or misled?

Tapewolf

Quote from: Grey Wolf on September 07, 2012, 12:05:50 PM
Huh. The B-O-B have found their best defense against Abel completely by accident.
When he wakes up and sees all that blood, he's going to be a mess.

It depends how messy things get.  The only time we've seen Abel freak out in the present day was when there was a lot of blood/paint - i.e. very messy death levels of blood.  If, gods forbid, Jyrras goes Fallout 3 on someone and sprays the inn with bits of head, Abel will lose it for sure.  Though since that would break rating I highly doubt it.

The other question is how heavily Abel is bleeding himself, that might be enough to do it.  Either way, I imagine Jyrras' strategy - assuming he doesn't blow this via a sneak attack from Gen, for example - would be to have Wildy check and/or patch up Abel while covering the others.

Inumo

Huh. Well, she did say she needed to learn how to draw guns for Chapter 30, and here we are...

justacritic

maus_merryjest

wow... I actually got something right! granted, there was no theme music, but there was an entrance that was full of win.
* bumps Jyrras to second favorite character*

Bakoneko

That was wonderful and totally made my day.  GO JYRRAS!  And Wildy's hiss face was awesome too; I think she was ready to lay down some serious mayhem if Jyrras hadn't interrupted.

One thing I thought was interesting which nobody's mentioned so far is pronouns.  Nitemyste, even as he protests that he's trying to reason with Abel, refers to Abel as 'it'.  Peg, who's all for incapacitating Abel and says you can't trust 'Cubi an inch, says 'him'.  Nite may actually be the more prejudiced.  (And he was the one who was ready to kill Alexsi without verifying her 'Cubi-ness first, so let's upgrade that 'may be' to an 'is'.)

Anyway.  It's just interesting!  I'm loving this storyline and can't wait to see where all of this is going to lead.  :mowcookie
~ Bakoneko >^^<

*** Is a girl ***

Tapewolf

Quote from: Bakoneko on September 07, 2012, 04:52:24 PM
Nitemyste, even as he protests that he's trying to reason with Abel, refers to Abel as 'it'.  Peg, who's all for incapacitating Abel and says you can't trust 'Cubi an inch, says 'him'.  Nite may actually be the more prejudiced.

Yes, I noticed that and I'm still fascinated how they keep flip-flopping like that.  I would have thought that indecisiveness was not a survival trait in the adventuring game.

Ignuus66

I believe it was a reference to meet the engineer video of TF2 (I may be wrong)
Jyrras is an engineer, that means he solves practical problems. Not problems like what is beauty? Because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy, he solves practical problems.  :P
(reference)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i68cEsALWt0

(credit: Gabi)

Myandriss

Hey, just a comment on the gun's quiet nature. It could also be using a Jyrras version of the Russian SP round.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K73kKODFyzw

ishidan

Quote from: Ignuus66 on September 07, 2012, 05:17:55 PM
I believe it was a reference to meet the engineer video of TF2 (I may be wrong)
Jyrras is an engineer, that means he solves practical problems. Not problems like what is beauty? Because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy, he solves practical problems.  :P
(reference)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i68cEsALWt0

Problems like "how do I stop some mean motherhubbard from tearing Abel a structurally superfluous...oops too late."

Then the BOB decides they aren't impressed, and take aim at Jy.  Enter Mace, with a shoulder cannon that looks like it's out of Girl Genius.

"And if that don't work...use more gun."

joshofspam

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 07, 2012, 05:16:46 PM
Nitemyste, even as he protests that he's trying to reason with Abel, refers to Abel as 'it'.  Peg, who's all for incapacitating Abel and says you can't trust 'Cubi an inch, says 'him'.  Nite may actually be the more prejudiced.

Yes, I noticed that and I'm still fascinated how they keep flip-flopping like that.  I would have thought that indecisiveness was not a survival trait in the adventuring game.

Though that might be because of the ramifications of adventuring outside their normal stomping grounds. Amber did mention in the forums that guards and other adventures butting heads wasn't uncommon.

Just because the adventurers of this area won't put the effort of finding the killer of cubi, doesn't mean they won't hunt down a known rogue adventurer group. Making a mistake here might have just as dire consequences for BOB as it would for the Lost Lake cast.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Pvblivs

I don't really see Pegasus flip-flopping here.  He wants to make sure someone is actually 'cubi before killing.  He has confirmed Abel is 'cubi.  He's really not concerned with anything else.

ishidan

Quote from: Hanii Puppy on September 07, 2012, 12:37:51 PM
Quote from: ishidan on September 07, 2012, 12:31:12 PMRecoil?  Oh yes, sure, those other services with the weak-wristed boys can complain about recoil--again, MARINES.

Only if you can't hit your target with the first shot.
The louder bang of the 1911 is also more terrifying to the enemy...and body armor that resists 9mm is pretty common, that can stop a .45, not so much.  No point in being able to hit the same target twice if neither round can kill it.

KiloFoxx

hate to nitpick the posters... but that's not an Automatic pistol. the word you're looking for is SEMI-automatic.

automatic is like a gatling gun or a machine gun. you pull the trigger and it's a bullet spray-fest.
Semi-Automatic is when it fires once every time you pull the trigger.
then there's bolt-action, leaver-action, breach-action, pump-action. you see all those (except Bolt that i know) in Shotguns. Bolt and Lever actions are seen in rifles. there may be a breach-action rifle (double-barrel shotgun) but i'm not sure on that. i'm not a gun nut

(yeah yeah i'm a grammar freak... sue me)

That was wonderful and totally made my day.  GO JYRRAS!  And Wildy's hiss face was awesome too; I think she was ready to lay down some serious mayhem if Jyrras hadn't interrupted.

One thing I thought was interesting which nobody's mentioned so far is pronouns.  Nitemyste, even as he protests that he's trying to reason with Abel, refers to Abel as 'it'.  Peg, who's all for incapacitating Abel and says you can't trust 'Cubi an inch, says 'him'.  Nite may actually be the more prejudiced.  (And he was the one who was ready to kill Alexsi without verifying her 'Cubi-ness first, so let's upgrade that 'may be' to an 'is'.)

Anyway.  It's just interesting!  I'm loving this storyline and can't wait to see where all of this is going to lead.  :mowcookie

i think this can be attributed to Abel being a 'Cubi... i think Nite is LESS prejudiced and is using the gender-neutral pronoun because cubi can shapeshift and appear as a different gender. for all he knows, Abel could be female.

point being, i find it hard to believe Nite ISN'T the least prejudiced one in the group. he seems the most reasonable of the bunch.

Quote from: killpurakat on September 07, 2012, 12:10:40 PM
Quote from: Drakkenmensch on September 07, 2012, 07:45:33 AM
Jyrras turns the tables on the backstabbing adventurers with the power of SCIENCE!

Okay, hands up! Who else wants to see Jyrras and Dr. Insano working together ... for SCIENCE!!! :mwaha

mother of god...

that would be SCARY... and AWESOME... and... good lord...

this HAS to be done... even if it's just some non-cannon filler-art or something...