07/09/12 [DMFA #1334] - Jyrras is an engineer.

Started by joshofspam, September 07, 2012, 07:10:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wanderer

Quote from: Inumo on September 07, 2012, 04:02:44 PM
Huh. Well, she did say she needed to learn how to draw guns for Chapter 30, and here we are...

Dammit, I wanted to be the one to point that out in this thread! :<

Lying Foo

Hmm... the shipper in me wants either Jyrras or Wildy to tell the BOB that he and Abel are dating.

Also, that's a hell of a warning shot.  I don't think Jyrras is that good... he missed.

(Also, where is Jyrras standing?  He's either a lot further above or a lot further from Light Aliph than I thought before seeing that line.)

Mab suggested at one point that a gun would benefit from being non-magical... wonder how.

Finally, "of all folks"...
Itsuwari, osore, kyoshoku, urei - samazama wa negative ni torawareru hodo yowaku wa nai, kodoku mo shiranu Trickster.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Lying Foo on September 07, 2012, 08:06:04 PM
Hmm... the shipper in me wants either Jyrras or Wildy to tell the BOB that he and Abel are dating.
That occurred to me as well, but if Abel's still conscious it'd probably freak him out.

QuoteAlso, that's a hell of a warning shot.  I don't think Jyrras is that good... he missed.
We don't have enough information to tell.  It might have been lucky, but on the other hand it's quite possible he's been using the prototypes a lot and getting practice in secret.
The other thing is that you can't intimidate people by waving a gun at them if they don't know what it is - you have to demonstrate it.

Quote(Also, where is Jyrras standing?  He's either a lot further above or a lot further from Light Aliph than I thought before seeing that line.)
Not sure, but I think he's in the doorway leading to the basement.  If so, the shot is probably going left-to-right.

QuoteMab suggested at one point that a gun would benefit from being non-magical... wonder how.

From what I remember, magic tends to cause the mechanism to jam or misfire.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Wanderer

(Also, where is Jyrras standing?  He's either a lot further above or a lot further from Light Aliph than I thought before seeing that line.)

Actually I think he's below rather than above, and a lot closer. I think the shot went from left to right. If so, Jyrras is probably just offscreen in the panel where Pegasus gets shot.

joshofspam

I suppose how BOB will react next will in some part depends on just how much they now about guns.

Though seeing it has already been told that their guns are mostly still  the the old muzzle one shot loaders, that might mean they'll recognize it as a gun and think that Jyrras used his only shot.

Though seeing as Jyrras is so tight to his vest with his more controversial inventions, I wonder if Wildy would jump to that conclusion as well?
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Pvblivs

QuoteAlso, that's a hell of a warning shot.  I don't think Jyrras is that good... he missed.

Maybe.  But I don't think so.  The belly is a wider target and just as deadly (given that it is exposed here.)  That was a warning shot.  Whether it was intended to hit anything...

Infranscia

There's that gun. :mowmeep

Anyway, guys, as someone from a family that owns guns, said family has subscribed to at least one gun magazine, and fired a few guns (in an indoor shooting range, or at the top of a hill toward targets near the ground - no chance of hitting someone by accident, haven't aimed at someone on purpose, either), I can say that there are guns that can be fairly quiet.  Even rifles.  One person described their first experience with a rifle (with extra-small bullets, I would guess) as expecting 'artillery cannon' and getting 'book dropped on table.'  It literally can be that quiet.  Might not even need hearing protection.

The biggest factor in how quiet a gun would be would be how much gunpowder the bullet has (which is often reflected in the size of the bullet).  Judging by the size of the barrel there, he's going to be using some pretty thin bullets.  (Possibly smaller than you get in real life.)  I also know that there are also bullets that are only about, oh, maybe a centimeter long (I used them when I first went to target practice), and really can't hold much.  Assuming Jyrras is using bullets about that size, while 'dfft' may not quite be accurate, it wouldn't be too far off.  It would probably be something like a fairly soft 'pop.'  I think I silencer might be able to get the sound into a 'pop' range, but it doesn't look like he's using one.  Not that he'd need one that badly.

That said, a small projectile can still be deadly if it hits the right spot, be it a small bullet, a shot from a bb gun, a shot from a blow-gun, or what have you.  It may not necessarily be an instant kill, but the victim could die from bleeding out, or possibly infection, or some other kind of complication.  They can also easily take out an eye or otherwise slow someone down with an injury.

Anyway,  it does make sense that he'd use a pistol with small bullets, considering his size.  I understand that if a bullet is too powerful for your frame, and it's not braced/mounted against something sturdy enough, it can injure you from the recoil.  Hmm...  I suppose it's also possible that Jyrras used a smaller bullet for the first shot so he could more-easily use a warning shot, then have larger bullets in the clip.

Anyway, that gun does look pretty good, particularly for a first appearance, and without that much expertise. :mowsmile  Admittedly I'm having a little trouble telling whether it has a sight on the front.  If I look close, I think I see what might be a faintly-drawn one?

I think the main thing I want to note to Amber is how Jyrras appears to be aiming the gun.  Unless he's had a lot of practice (which granted, him being able to hit Peg's ear like that might indicate) he should look through one eye and line up the sights in said eye.  I guess you might say he was aiming a moment ago and now he's giving them a glare?  I guess it depends.

Heh, if you think of it the right way, along with the obvious threat, Jyrras could be implying that reason isn't getting from Peg's ears to his brain. X3
Please excuse the watermarked avatar.  I haven't bothered to fix it yet.  (Still, thanks to PetFriendAmy for the original pic!)

Lying Foo

Quote from: Wanderer on September 07, 2012, 08:42:32 PM
Actually I think he's below rather than above, and a lot closer. I think the shot went from left to right. If so, Jyrras is probably just offscreen in the panel where Aliph gets shot.

(Pegasus... I was calling him "Light Aliph" as a joke.)
Itsuwari, osore, kyoshoku, urei - samazama wa negative ni torawareru hodo yowaku wa nai, kodoku mo shiranu Trickster.

Gamma

Ah shoot! (pun intended)
This either has been escalated further or deescalated, depends on how the B.O.B. take the hint of a being with a gun in the room.

I believe that to probably be a Rail or Coil gun he wields, from the sound and size of the projectile alone. Plus the weapon Jyrras has seems to have a reverse slide action going on if those pieces move at all. I doubt they do. This is hard to see however as we only have this one perspective at the moment.
No sound but it zipping through the air indicates no explosive propellant method I know of, remotely possible to be a compressed gas propellent though. Suppressors really only lower a report a few percent, its to help the sound from carrying to far. There is no magic "fwip" like in movies.

And in a Coil/Rail gun the smaller the projectile the easier it is to get to high velocities. The problems with too small a projectile is that it has less mass and the velocity drops off quicker without the inertia to overcome air friction and to impart more energy into the intended target.

All projectile weapons have the goal of imparting energy into the target very quickly. The greater the energy that transfers to the target the greater the damage on typical soft tissues. This is why a .45 slug does better then a 9mm in many situations against non armored people. The slug travels slower but is larger. Upon impact the slug is more likely to stay in the target totally or at least for a longer period of time. Friction then will impart more of the energy to the target.

The 9mm however moves faster and is smaller. This generally leaves less time for the slug to impart energy as it is more likely to exit said target.
The potential energy of the 9mm is greater but the imparted energy is usually less, hitting bones make things very interesting for all slugs. Bonuses for 9mm include larger magazine capacities and the target usually does still suffer enough damage to be considerably lethal. .38 to .45 in handguns are completely acceptable calibers to choose for these reasons. Rifles add another layer to the theory.

A vest works by spreading the energy imparted across a larger surface area during a longer period of time, then just the caliber round that was being used. It literally catches the bullet before it can puncture, or puncture very far, into you.

Assuming the gun and rounds are designed to defeat magic wielding enemies, the construction of a Coil/Rail gun does not need to be very resistant to magic. The only moving parts are the loading mechanics and those are usually just springs. Much harder to muck with magic.
Another point for smaller rounds is that high purity materials resistant to magical effects are in short supply so small rounds would also be a necessity.
And finally if you are attempting to defeat magic defenses first and all other considerations are secondary; it would be better to expend more rounds on a target but have them all get past the defenses then have a weapon that doesn't work around magic most of the time.
011010000111010001110100011100000011101000101111001011110111011101110111011101110010111001111001011011110111010101110100011101010110001001100101001011100110001101101111011011010010111101110111011000010111010001100011011010000011111101110110001111010110111101001000011001110011010101010011010010100101100101010010010010000100000100110000

Jasonrevall

I wonder what Jy-jy's sentry would look like.

I'm glad he stepped in. We don't get to see the little guy in action very much and I do love my some Jy-jy haha.
Forward ever onward upward aiming skyward.

IonOtter

Hi Everyone!

Just wanted to point out one, very critical point?

You're all forgetting about Macy.

If Jyrras had time to run back home and get his gun, then he most certainly had time to alert Macy.  In fact, Macy may have been summoned somehow, and provided Jyrras with the weapon...

...and is now flanking the rouge adventurers from outside the building.

AmigaDragon

Quote from: killpurakat on September 07, 2012, 12:10:40 PMOkay, hands up! Who else wants to see Jyrras and Dr. Insano working together ... for SCIENCE!!! :mwaha

Who? How about Jyrras and Agatha Heterodyne?

Quote from: ishidan on September 07, 2012, 05:39:50 PM"And if that don't work...use more gun."

KNEECAPS! "I was an adventurer until I took a bullet to the knee."

(Also, where is Jyrras standing?  He's either a lot further above or a lot further from Light Aliph than I thought before seeing that line.)

Actually I think he's below rather than above, and a lot closer. I think the shot went from left to right. If so, Jyrras is probably just offscreen in the panel where Aliph gets shot.

Why are you calling him Aliph?

Quote from: Lying Foo on September 08, 2012, 12:04:50 AM(Pegasus... I was calling him "Light Aliph" as a joke.)

Quote from: IonOtter on September 08, 2012, 12:59:29 AMMacy may have been summoned somehow, and provided Jyrras with the weapon...

Or Jyrras had the gun with him already (paparazzi protection? ;) ).
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Wanderer

Quote from: Lying Foo on September 08, 2012, 12:04:50 AM

(Pegasus... I was calling him "Light Aliph" as a joke.)
Right... I totally knew that. All along. No one can prove otherwise.

Lying Foo

Jyoumon

Tapewolf

The more I think about that, well, it makes a lot of sense.  It worked for Lorenda, and recurring themes can be a lot of fun.

Ignuus66

Tesla coils? needs more tesla coils for the intimidation  8)
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Also I don't think that is a railgun (due to the fact that railguns are much bigger to be powerful), it probably has a silencer built in, or is simply a silent weapon (I have seen  a few of those)

(credit: Gabi)

Tapewolf

Quote from: Ignuus66 on September 08, 2012, 09:31:59 AM
Also I don't think that is a railgun (due to the fact that railguns are much bigger to be powerful), it probably has a silencer built in, or is simply a silent weapon (I have seen  a few of those)

It probably is a conventional firearm, but don't forget that Jyrras has built things which are beyond our own technology.  I wouldn't put it past him to use coils made from room-temperature superconductor, and/or power pack technology that makes a li-poly battery look like a galvanic cell in comparison.

Turnsky

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

IonOtter

Quote from: AmigaDragon on September 08, 2012, 01:13:04 AM
Quote from: IonOtter on September 08, 2012, 12:59:29 AMMacy may have been summoned somehow, and provided Jyrras with the weapon...

That's actually an even more frightening thought.

Ever since Jyrras came back from the Fae Realm, he's been obsessed with making his protections more and more powerful.  He also threw all pretense at caution to the wind, and developed not just another artificial form of life, but one that is apparently heavily armed.  I.E. Macy.  And based on previous interactions, I'd say Macy also has emotions, which means "she" could become extremely angry if Jyrras is harmed.

At which point, we might find out whether or not Jyrras gave Macy the upgrades to her chassis.  Oh yeah, and you're all forgetting Alexsi.  When she wakes up from getting zapped, Jrryas might not need Macy.

But back to Jyrras.  If he has been carrying a gun all this time, he's been hiding it really well.  That's not a small weapon.  It's not big, but it ain't small, either.  And being such a small being himself, Jyrras doesn't have a lot of places to hide it on his person.

That means one of three things:

1.  He's got a portable hole in his pocket.
2.  He ran back home, got his gun and came back, or Macy brought it to him.
3.  He had it stashed at the Inn.

I'm betting on #3.  And if that's the case, then there's going to be a jökulhlaup of carp coming down.  Because if you can stash weapons in properties you don't even own, then that means you've got more than enough weapons to risk losing them to the homeowner when they accidentally find it. 

That, in and of itself is going to be a lot of fun.

Once the dust has settled over the guns, the next carp storm will arrive.  Namely that Jyrras is a very well-known, highly respected citizen with a LOT of extremely dangerous, very powerful, very wealthy friends. 

Alexsi:  she's a long-time citizen, business person, land-owner, tax-payer, employer and a pretty powerful adventurer in her own right. (A tavern-owner should be considered an 8th level fighter, simply due to dealing with drunk idiots looking for a fight.)  That she was not only attacked, but shot from behind, without any reliable evidence to back up such an assault, is NOT going to sit well with anyone on the city council.  This one thing would be enough to have these idiots thrown in a pit for the rest of their lives.  That's if they're lucky.  If they're not lucky, then the council will charge them with the recent murders.

Abel:  He's not just Cubi, he's also a registered being, and citizen.  That is going to start a carp-storm all on it's own.  The Zinvth City Council is already reeeeally touchy about Abel, after what happened with Aniz.  Oh, and there's the whole carp-storm over what happened in regards to the hospital being revoked.  We haven't heard if the hospital was actually approved or not, but that's still going to tie in Kria and Fa'lina.

Fa'lina I expect to be subtle and diplomatic.  Kria?  Well...let's just hope these turkeys have a truly outstanding insurance policy for their entire family line.

Speaking of insurance policies, let's not forget Moira, Jyrras' mom.  She probably won't be too worried about Abel, but putting her only son into danger?  I do believe that she was one of the few people that Kria actually respected for their power.

Hmmmmm.

People have been tossing around the term, "jumped the shark", just because guns have shown up.  I suspect that's because 90% of the people here are too young to even know where the term comes from, without resorting to Google and Wikipedia.  I know where it came from, because I watched the original episode of Happy Days where Fonzie pulled it off.  It was quite a disappointment to see Fonzie turned into the ultra-mega-super-cool human that could do no wrong or screw nothing up.

That is most definitely NOT the case here.

There have been so many screw-ups in the last 10 comics that the carp storm from this is going to last well into next year.

So yeah.  Hang on to your hats, folks?  Things are just getting started.

Tapewolf

Quote from: IonOtter on September 08, 2012, 10:08:51 AM
Alexsi:  she's a long-time citizen, business person, land-owner, tax-payer, employer and a pretty powerful adventurer in her own right.

I think Amber said that Lost Lake Inn was on independent territory so I don't know that she's a tax-payer or that they get any protection from Zinvth.  Even so, going on a Creature-hunting spree so close to Zinvth may not sit well with them.

QuoteAbel:  He's not just Cubi, he's also a registered being, and citizen.  That is going to start a carp-storm all on it's own.  The Zinvth City Council is already reeeeally touchy about Abel, after what happened with Aniz.  Oh, and there's the whole carp-storm over what happened in regards to the hospital being revoked.  We haven't heard if the hospital was actually approved or not, but that's still going to tie in Kria and Fa'lina.

Not quite sure where you're coming from here.  Are you saying that Kria and her influence in Zinvth might come down hard on people trying to harm him once they find out he's still alive (and presumably the Faeta stone will testify it's him)?
I ask because you bring up the hospital as if they might blame Abel for it, and I'm not convinced about that.  It happened hundreds of years earlier and it was mentioned around p1300 that Zinvth is now trading with 'Cubi clans.  It's possible that Jin's clan is among those so she may now have got her hospital.  In any case, don't forget that Abel was friends with Mink so I rather doubt they blame him for it.  It's quite likely Mink was aware that Abel intended to kill the person responsible anyway.

QuoteSpeaking of insurance policies, let's not forget Moira, Jyrras' mom.  She probably won't be too worried about Abel, but putting her only son into danger?  I do believe that she was one of the few people that Kria actually respected for their power.

That's very true.

Janus Whitefurr

Quote from: Jyoumon on September 08, 2012, 09:11:51 AM
Ok...I expect to see a Caster gun next XDD :)

*skids into thread*

CASTER SHELLS WILL NOT WORK AGAINST HAZANKO!

*flees thread*
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

AmigaDragon

"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

joshofspam

Quote from: IonOtter on September 08, 2012, 12:59:29 AMSpeaking of insurance policies, let's not forget Moira, Jyrras' mom.  She probably won't be too worried about Abel, but putting her only son into danger?  I do believe that she was one of the few people that Kria actually respected for their power.

It actually makes me wonder how a Lawyer can get something done with the law seemingly being so lopsided in court in the favor of creatures.

She must be one heck of a lawyer to get her friends murderer convicted after the sentient undead had just been recently created. To have that turned on BOB, I'd think that would be akin to a financial slaughter. I'd have a feeling creatures and adventurers alike fear her. :)
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Mrs_A_ZeTavia

All we need is for Jyrras to be in a suit, grab a pair of shades and we can have a "Pulp Fiction" moment. >:3

KiloFoxx

Quote from: IonOtter on September 08, 2012, 10:08:51 AM
Quote from: AmigaDragon on September 08, 2012, 01:13:04 AM

That's actually an even more frightening thought.

Ever since Jyrras came back from the Fae Realm, he's been obsessed with making his protections more and more powerful.  He also threw all pretense at caution to the wind, and developed not just another artificial form of life, but one that is apparently heavily armed.  I.E. Macy.  And based on previous interactions, I'd say Macy also has emotions, which means "she" could become extremely angry if Jyrras is harmed.

At which point, we might find out whether or not Jyrras gave Macy the upgrades to her chassis.  Oh yeah, and you're all forgetting Alexsi.  When she wakes up from getting zapped, Jrryas might not need Macy.

But back to Jyrras.  If he has been carrying a gun all this time, he's been hiding it really well.  That's not a small weapon.  It's not big, but it ain't small, either.  And being such a small being himself, Jyrras doesn't have a lot of places to hide it on his person.

That means one of three things:

1.  He's got a portable hole in his pocket.
2.  He ran back home, got his gun and came back, or Macy brought it to him.
3.  He had it stashed at the Inn.

I'm betting on #3.  And if that's the case, then there's going to be a jökulhlaup of carp coming down.  Because if you can stash weapons in properties you don't even own, then that means you've got more than enough weapons to risk losing them to the homeowner when they accidentally find it. 

That, in and of itself is going to be a lot of fun.

Once the dust has settled over the guns, the next carp storm will arrive.  Namely that Jyrras is a very well-known, highly respected citizen with a LOT of extremely dangerous, very powerful, very wealthy friends. 

Alexsi:  she's a long-time citizen, business person, land-owner, tax-payer, employer and a pretty powerful adventurer in her own right. (A tavern-owner should be considered an 8th level fighter, simply due to dealing with drunk idiots looking for a fight.)  That she was not only attacked, but shot from behind, without any reliable evidence to back up such an assault, is NOT going to sit well with anyone on the city council.  This one thing would be enough to have these idiots thrown in a pit for the rest of their lives.  That's if they're lucky.  If they're not lucky, then the council will charge them with the recent murders.

Abel:  He's not just Cubi, he's also a registered being, and citizen.  That is going to start a carp-storm all on it's own.  The Zinvth City Council is already reeeeally touchy about Abel, after what happened with Aniz.  Oh, and there's the whole carp-storm over what happened in regards to the hospital being revoked.  We haven't heard if the hospital was actually approved or not, but that's still going to tie in Kria and Fa'lina.

Fa'lina I expect to be subtle and diplomatic.  Kria?  Well...let's just hope these turkeys have a truly outstanding insurance policy for their entire family line.

Speaking of insurance policies, let's not forget Moira, Jyrras' mom.  She probably won't be too worried about Abel, but putting her only son into danger?  I do believe that she was one of the few people that Kria actually respected for their power.

Hmmmmm.

People have been tossing around the term, "jumped the shark", just because guns have shown up.  I suspect that's because 90% of the people here are too young to even know where the term comes from, without resorting to Google and Wikipedia.  I know where it came from, because I watched the original episode of Happy Days where Fonzie pulled it off.  It was quite a disappointment to see Fonzie turned into the ultra-mega-super-cool human that could do no wrong or screw nothing up.

That is most definitely NOT the case here.

There have been so many screw-ups in the last 10 comics that the carp storm from this is going to last well into next year.

So yeah.  Hang on to your hats, folks?  Things are just getting started.

the BOB have NO idea how much **** they just got themselves into...

i already knew where the term came from, i visit TVtropes a lot. but i AM too young to have seen it firsthand. (21)
but to quote Supernatural: "Is it really jumping the shark if you never come back down?"

IonOtter

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 08, 2012, 10:28:25 AM
I think Amber said that Lost Lake Inn was on independent territory so I don't know that she's a tax-payer or that they get any protection from Zinvth.  Even so, going on a Creature-hunting spree so close to Zinvth may not sit well with them.

Ahh, okay.  I hadn't seen that.  But yes, as you point out, Zinvth isn't going to be happy with this.  Having unknown murderers roving around isn't going to make things any better, either.

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 08, 2012, 10:28:25 AMNot quite sure where you're coming from here.  Are you saying that Kria and her influence in Zinvth might come down hard on people trying to harm him once they find out he's still alive (and presumably the Faeta stone will testify it's him)?
I ask because you bring up the hospital as if they might blame Abel for it, and I'm not convinced about that.  It happened hundreds of years earlier and it was mentioned around p1300 that Zinvth is now trading with 'Cubi clans.  It's possible that Jin's clan is among those so she may now have got her hospital.  In any case, don't forget that Abel was friends with Mink so I rather doubt they blame him for it.  It's quite likely Mink was aware that Abel intended to kill the person responsible anyway.

The City Council know that Abel is Cubi, and apparently have come to accept it.  He was a citizen in good and moral standing prior to his heritage becoming known, so while they might have been upset, they accepted him.

I don't think they'll blame Abel for the hospital incident, no.  The Zinvth council were the ones to boot the hospital off the planning board because Fa'lina failed to bring Aniz to justice.  I'm thinking more along the lines of this stirring up old carp, and possibly endangering long-standing relationships between Zinvth and other races.  Abel is a bridge between many worlds and cultures, and none of them will like what's happened here.

Of course, this is a lot of speculation on my part, and we'll probably never even see these potential aspects.

After all, Amber has just stepped into "Plot-point Rich Environment"   :eager

YawnPB

Interesting power dynamics in this comic.  Was starting to look like Nite and Wildy vs Pegasus and Skirmish in the beginning.  Then sheriff Jy busts in *A NEW CHALLENGER HAS APPEARED*.

IMHO it seems Jy as a sniper has now entered official canon, which adds more weight to his words.  Snipers tend to be OCD about hitting small targets with freakish accuracy.  By hitting the tip of his ear, then telling him the exact measurement from that ear tip to his skull.....  Doesn't seem like a miss, just like others said " a warning shot" and "demonstrating what his weapon can do". 

The reactions of the others are really varied though. Skirmish seems enraged; Pegasus is shocked he's hurt; Nite seems to be thinking "and this mission just keeps getting worse -.-"; Wildy is... well Wildy. 

Not sure if Macy has even been out of Jy's house, or is allowed to be.  Though her protectiveness of 'daddy' may have her lurking nearby though.  B.O.B. certainly didn't notice Jy sneaking up on them.  Unlikely they'd pick up Macy in ninja mode.  She even snuck up on Abel twice without detection, unless she announced herself. 

Lurkus Wallflowerus

Atharyn

After reading all the conversations about guns, silencers, coil guns, and such I have a much simpler idea..

Is it possible Jy is using a compressed air gun (similar to a paintball gun) with darts or blades for ammo?  It would be quiet and have enough stopping power for being-versus-being fights without being overkill.  The darts also would not have enough penetrating power to go through bone or walls.  Given Jy's rather soft-hearted nature I don't think he would want to risk accidentally killing someone by missing.