07/09/12 [DMFA #1334] - Jyrras is an engineer.

Started by joshofspam, September 07, 2012, 07:10:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joshofspam

I actually rather like Amber's use of the team fortress's engineer's first few words as the pages title.

Though I do wonder about the gun. It didn't make much of a sound, but it still managed to take a good chunk of one of their ears off. For a bee-bee gun, it sure packs a bit of power.

Now to wait and see if Jyrras solved a practical problem or did he make the situation worst?

I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

justacritic

Jyrras grew a spine with a rather lengthy Bond one liner. This makes me happy beyond belief. I see Amber has been brushing up on her guns.

Eboreg

Quote from: Amber Williams on October 29, 2012, 05:55:06 PM
I expect if flamethrowers exist, Matilda would be tempted to install one into her shower.

Drakkenmensch

Jyrras turns the tables on the backstabbing adventurers with the power of SCIENCE!

Tapewolf

Impressive.  And yes, I think this is another example of fan speculation proving correct.  What I'm not clear on is whether this is going to make the situation better or worse.  And that's just in the short term of negotiations over Abel and Alexsi's life - what happens when it gets out that Jyrras has invented a working automatic gun, well that's a whole other can of worms.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

MT Hazard

It seems Peg has gone from "Lets be sure before we stab" to "Lets stab to be sure"

Also knowing Jyrras the weapon could actually be a rail gun/coil gun, not sure how much noise they make.

And Guys? Someone just shot at you with technology that isn't supposed to exist, could you look a little, well, concerned?
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Sofox

I could fan speculate...

...but instead I'll say that Jyrras has damn good aim if he truely was intending an ear-shot from the get go.

Fragmaster01

Hours of soldering iron work gives you very good hand dexterity.

Darron Ranston

Uh oh, Jyrras just brought a gun to a sword fight. Too bad he was actually aiming for his sword hand with that first shot...

Angel

"Like this little number designed by me...built by me...and you'd best hope...not pointed at you."

Guys? Amber already said at one point that guns DO exist in DMFA. Of course, this seems more advanced than those guns, so ... yeah.

Point being Jyrras just got his Rock Lee moment. :DDDDDDDD
The Real Myth of Sisyphus:
The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water spout,
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,
And the itsy-bitsy spider went up the spout again...
BANDWAGON JUMP!

Darron Ranston

Quote from: Black_angel on September 07, 2012, 09:26:12 AM
Point being Jyrras just got his Rock Lee moment. :DDDDDDDD

But didn't that end with Rock Lee losing the fight after being exploded and crippled?

Tapewolf

Quote from: Black_angel on September 07, 2012, 09:26:12 AM
Guys? Amber already said at one point that guns DO exist in DMFA. Of course, this seems more advanced than those guns, so ... yeah.

Yeah, I think this is the first automatic gun, as opposed to a flintlock which is what everyone else has.  Now it might be that they'll assume it's a one-shot gun like that, who knows.  Another interesting point is how many rounds Jyrras has on him.

justacritic

I also believe that shot took the edge off of the horse's ear. And judging from the small "offt" sound effect does Jyrras' gun have a silencer?

Plotting

I would hazard a guess that Skirmish will be the next one to be shot or shot at as she seems to be a little angry with Jyrrus, and would likely attack him regardless of what the others say or do.

Horse boy might also try to attack Jyrrus considering what just happened to his ear.

It will be interesting to see if the bullets can go through magic shields. I don't think Jyrrus would be above getting someone to enchant his bullets to overcome magic shields, and it would be a wise move in a world where magic is soo prevalent. And hollow point ammunition would not be a bad idea either.

...mmm...enchanted hollow point bullets... >:3

Plotting

Quote from: justacritic on September 07, 2012, 07:19:37 AM
Jyrras grew a spine with a rather lengthy Bond one liner. This makes me happy beyond belief. I see Amber has been brushing up on her guns.

It's amazing what one can do when one or ones friends are in danger, isn't it?  >:3

Mao

Quote from: Eboreg on September 07, 2012, 07:32:40 AM
TOTALLY F***ING CALLED IT!

Word to the wise:  don't do that.  Quick way to irk some of us mods. ;-]

Otherwise, carry on! :)

Turnsky

you mean he wasn't going to tromp through the inn with a power loader like ripley?!

i am disappoint.  :<

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Fragmaster01

Quote from: justacritic on September 07, 2012, 09:43:51 AM
I also believe that shot took the edge off of the horse's ear. And judging from the small "offt" sound effect does Jyrras' gun have a silencer?
Or more likely, from the size of the barrel, it's a needlegun. tl;dr SCIENCE

Tapewolf

Quote from: Fragmaster01 on September 07, 2012, 10:10:28 AM
Or more likely, from the size of the barrel, it's a needlegun. tl;dr SCIENCE

Having read Jack Vance (specifically the book with the name that would break the forum rating), I thought of the sandguns, which accelerated sand or dust particles up to near lightspeed.

EDIT: However, the fact that Mab implied the non-magical metals were a prerequisite suggests to me that it's a normal mechanical system

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Mao on September 07, 2012, 09:51:44 AM
Quote from: Eboreg on September 07, 2012, 07:32:40 AM
TOTALLY F***ING CALLED IT!

Word to the wise:  don't do that.  Quick way to irk some of us mods. ;-]

Otherwise, carry on! :)

Also, you weren't the only one to do so. If you were, you'd have a little more licence, but this particular plot point has been discussed to death, and there have been suggestions from many folks that this would happen.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

reathe

to be fair the .45 1911 is over 100 years old in design and is still used today.  the FBI dropped the autos they were using to issue the springfield trp 1911.  US marines abandoned the Beretta in favor of the 1911 to much joy of the solders just recently.  automatic pistol doesn't mean it's advanced.  as for sound you cant see how long it is,  if its got perhaps 8 inches of barrel it can be integrally suppressed and barrel bore looks to be about a .22 caliber so take the 5.7x28 for example,  is a quiet, very high velocity, very accurate round with fairly decent stopping power (good power considering its size).  Although i was wishing jyrras would pulled a .45 long colt.  its got class.  oh well,  hes an "engineer" not a classic pistol smith so an automatic as his personal working piece fits.  

remember...he was working with materials that have little to no magical residue and after a tipping point in purity, magic has little affect on it.  not sure how well a magical shield would hold up to residue free ammo.

Starcat5

Quote from: Plotting on September 07, 2012, 09:48:15 AM
I would hazard a guess that Skirmish will be the next one to be shot or shot at as she seems to be a little angry with Jyrrus, and would likely attack him regardless of what the others say or do.

Horse boy might also try to attack Jyrrus considering what just happened to his ear.

It will be interesting to see if the bullets can go through magic shields. I don't think Jyrrus would be above getting someone to enchant his bullets to overcome magic shields, and it would be a wise move in a world where magic is soo prevalent. And hollow point ammunition would not be a bad idea either.

...mmm...enchanted hollow point bullets... >:3

You've forgotten something. EVERYTHING on their world has trace levels of magic in it. It is when an object (a bullet in this case) has been DIS-enchanted that it gains the ability to cut through magic shields like a hot chainsaw through melted butter.
Conservative Democrat or Liberal Republican: You decide!
The Centrist line has moved a long way to the Right over the years.

I'd argue that's a horribly shallow argument, except it's completely true. ~ooklah

Tapewolf

Quote from: reathe on September 07, 2012, 10:20:12 AM
remember...he was working with materials that have little to no magical residue and after a tipping point in purity, magic has little affect on it.  not sure how well a magical shield would hold up to residue free ammo.

Like the Were, who can only be affected indirectly in human form, I'm sure they'll eventually figure out a workaround (freezing the air or some kind of eddy-current effect...?)  But right now, it will probably punch through most magical shields IMHO.

AmigaDragon

Quote from: Black_angel on September 07, 2012, 09:26:12 AMPoint being Jyrras just got his Rock Lee moment.

Who? Never heard of him.

Hehe, I think much of the speculation was that Jyrras would pull out some impressively large gun, not a little pistol. Despite their anger, how healthy is their respect for this pea shooter?
Hehe, Wildy's annoyed.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Jairus

*eyebrow*

I believe there's an expression from American history for what Jyrras just did and will represent in the future: the shot heard 'round the world.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

justacritic

Quote from: Jairus on September 07, 2012, 11:18:52 AM
*eyebrow*

I believe there's an expression from American history for what Jyrras just did and will represent in the future: the shot heard 'round the world.
was the start of the revolution.

Jairus

Quote from: justacritic on September 07, 2012, 11:33:46 AM
*eyebrow*

If you get that song stuck in my head, I will come for you. And I will find you. And you will awaken one dark and stormy night to find me at the foot of your bed, staring at you with a passion unfelt since time began.

And then I will sing "Conjunction Junction."

Oh, and good shot, Jy.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

justacritic

Quote from: Jairus on September 07, 2012, 11:35:29 AM
Quote from: justacritic on September 07, 2012, 11:33:46 AM
*eyebrow*

If you get that song stuck in my head, I will come for you. And I will find you. And you will awaken one dark and stormy night to find me at the foot of your bed, staring at you with a passion unfelt since time began.

And then I will sing "Conjunction Junction."

Oh, and good shot, Jy.
Passion is the wrong word for that situation..., and I'll counter with the "Good Eleven".

Grey Wolf

Huh. The B-O-B have found their best defense against Abel completely by accident.

When he wakes up and sees all that blood, he's going to be a mess.
Warning: This forum goer is prone to bouts of logic, and has a dry sense of humor.

killpurakat

Quote from: Drakkenmensch on September 07, 2012, 07:45:33 AM
Jyrras turns the tables on the backstabbing adventurers with the power of SCIENCE!

Okay, hands up! Who else wants to see Jyrras and Dr. Insano working together ... for SCIENCE!!! :mwaha