04/12/10 [AS2#97] -

Started by Teroniss, April 12, 2010, 12:41:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VAE

HAHAHAHA

Seriously, this i did not expect, but makes a LOT of sense...
I guess Aary now firstly came into contact with O'Riordan's theorem (appearance x intellect is a constant expression for all people of opposite sex one meets)

Amber is reallly a genius!
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Arcblade

Quote from: Naldru on April 12, 2010, 05:29:50 AM
Two thoughts:

Opposites attract
You always hurt the one you love

Two thoughts to counter your thoughts: :P

Opposites don't actually attract, sameness with just enough variation to be interesting attracts. (seriously, science will back me up here)
You always hurt anyone you're in contact with long enough: that's part of life. 

Also, the squiggly hits the nail on the head: ding!

Les

Quote from: Mao Laoren on April 12, 2010, 07:36:32 AM
I guess people are too busy fapping to the idea of Aary being "Destania v 2.0:  The puppet edition" that they didn't think for a second that she could be just motivated by simple attraction.  A desire that led her to actually want to see Not-so-Abel get out of his whiny funk.

Given Destania's interest in Abel, and Aaryanna's interst in Destania, it's not an unreasonable assumption.  However, the idea she's reaching out to Abel is spurred by physical (and possibly emotional) attraction does do a better job of passing the test of Occam's Razor.

Still I think Aary's going maximum jerkass when interacting with Abel may be the result of emotion-jamming, Aary herself claims to not understand why she can't maintain civility when she tries to address him.

"Woops, Abel-Hotness at 2 o'clock.  Okay Aary-kitty, maintain.  Remember your training.  You're gonna walk over there with a swish and a smile, look him in the eye and say, 'Good Morning AbelFATHGAN! IA! IA!"   :mowdizzy
Long live Space Race, Long live... Molvania!

Mao

I don't think that's the case but, who knows?  It doesn't seem likely to me that he'd be able to successfully do that to her, or vice versa.  It just kinda seems far-fetched to me.  In fact, I think it's just the normal kinda frustration that comes when a girl likes a guy, but is trying to change him to some ideal but can't figure out how.  That's just me though.

VAE

Besides it would make little sense for him to force everyone to try to yell sense into him, only so that he would have to run away from them and argue with them which he wants to avoid...
I do not think even he is that dumb
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

joshofspam

He can put up with Mink, what makes her think he can put up with her?

I don't really think that whips and chains are Abel's thing. :erk But I'm generally in agreement that his multi color might be what attracts Aaya to him.

But what was really suprising is Mink and Aaya are working together to get Abel to act. To bad Aaya over did it on her end. Mink though seemed to get through their for a while though.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

D'ymkarra

Quote from: Les on April 12, 2010, 08:48:56 AM
Still I think Aary's going maximum jerkass when interacting with Abel may be the result of emotion-jamming, Aary herself claims to not understand why she can't maintain civility when she tries to address him.
Quote from: Mao Laoren on April 12, 2010, 08:54:05 AM
I don't think that's the case but, who knows?  It doesn't seem likely to me that he'd be able to successfully do that to her, or vice versa.  It just kinda seems far-fetched to me.  In fact, I think it's just the normal kinda frustration that comes when a girl likes a guy, but is trying to change him to some ideal but can't figure out how.  That's just me though.

Actually the idea of emotion jamming makes a lot of sense here...If Abel is 'broadcasting' a strong enough emotional shield to keep other cubi out of his own head, it stands to reason that some may be influenced by it enough for it to affect their own emotional state: Case in point (Okay, maybe not the best example, but you get the general idea)
'It'd be such an honour, to be personally smacked upside the head by the artist herself' - Bjalf

Les

@Mao:  I dunno, by the time of the events in the current comic it's been established that Abel is so adept at emotion-jamming that he's become dependent on that skill, which throws him for a loop when he fails to convince Jyrras he's genuinely a jerkass.. kinda like trying to jam someone's GPS and it turns out all they have is a road-map.

@Danman:  I don't think Emotion-Jamming is that precise.. more like it just puts out a 'vibe' that sets people up for a specific emotional state when they're around him.. like pissed-off annoyance.   :P
Long live Space Race, Long live... Molvania!

PetFriendAmy

I've been playing way too much Ace Attorney. First thing I thought of when I saw "annoying bugging bug that bugs buggingly" was a certain character's abuse of the word "fool." :B

At any rate, this certainly puts an interesting spin on things. Makes me wonder if what was going through her mind in this strip, when she was worried about Merl fighting Abel, was something along the lines of "what if these two guys I like are fighting?" 'Cause... y'know. That kinda is awkward.

I also wonder if she's mean to him simply because she likes him and doesn't want to admit it. :U Oh the minds of those in love.

Jairus

I don't think Abel is emotion jamming Aary so much as he's just not interested in her (a sentiment that I can agree with: I neither like her personality nor is she attractive to my tastes), while Aaryanna might want a boyfriend who will join her in torturing some other soul or something like that or at the very least accepts their Cubiness, so she's trying to break him out of this funk or whatnot. And the fact that Abel won't even consider it is what is frustrating her. A lot. And I really don't see him as intentionally emotion jamming so much as he doesn't want to deal with people: Mink is the only one dense cheerful enough to ignore it, and Aaryanna's got a crush on the spotted one.

At tangent: Well, considering she seems to be over him by the present day (okay, not totally over him, since there seems to be bad blood there), I wouldn't accuse her of being one-dimensional. Part of the problem of being quasi immortal and stuck in a large school with very little changing in the way of courses and such and most of the people staying the same age is that it might retard emotional development, so really, Aaryanna wouldn't have had much leeway to develop much. This basically feels like the equivalent of a high school crush to me. And I wouldn't call her Destania 2.0 so much as she is Destania's protege who has really taken after her. At least this does give her slightly more emotional breadth than "Ra ra ca Cubi kill soul suck maim torture bwa ha ha ha!"

At joshofspam: As for Aaryanna and Mink working together, my thought was more like they've had this conversation before, and Mink is such a nice guy that he's trying to give her advice.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Scow2

I could speak out on why Aary's still in the wrong about her approach here, but if I try to elaborate too much, I'd get banned...

She's trying to nag, flame, and bitch at him in an attempt to call him out on his behavior. His response is to walk away and ignore her without giving her any ground for or against her assertions, since there's no convenient way to report the harassment.

I doubt there's any unusual compulsion surrounding Abel to make Aary so intolerant to him. I seem to have the same problem at times, such as when I hit the "Reply" button on the threads about this issue.

Scarydragon

Quote from: Mao Laoren on April 12, 2010, 07:36:32 AM
No!  NO I SAY!  It has to be some big, long, ass backwards convoluted plot where she's some sort of monster!

I believe the correct term is 'bass ackwards'. :B

But as for the whole Aary liking Abel, it totally makes sense that's she's being a horrible bitch to him, while still wanting to jump his bones. She might see acting nice to the guy she wants to sex up as being 'un-sucubus-like'. I suspect she thinks that guys are supposed to pine after her, not the other way around.
A Scarydragon approaches!

[Attack]
>[Word Play]
     [Sarcasm]
     [Innuendo]
     [Backwards Logic]
     [Puns]
   >[Sarcasm]
  [Procrastinate]
  [Item]

Alondro

*Charline de Lyon looks smug*  Seeeeeee, I'm not the only evil perverted Succubus!  >:3
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Amber Williams

I am only going to say a couple things.

1: If Abel was emotion jamming, I would probably have done something in the comic to indicate he was.  That said, considering how Abel has probably not been heavily investing in most classes, I would say it is more likely Abel has not been heavily investing in classes that particularly focus his Cubi abilities.

2: I find almost as bad as one-dimensionalness is that sometimes authors will feel compelled to try to over-dimension things.  Sometimes you just gotta sit back and accept that some roses have their thorns, some characters are just as shallow as they appear to be, and that not everything is a buildup to a grand scheme.  While part of me does find it interesting/nice/amusing? to see how much conversation has come up regarding Abel and Aary...I have been trying to keep relatively quiet on the matter since I don't want to word of god the conversation.  The Aaryanna character is most definately not one of the deepest ones in the cast, but I find her presence gives her a unique spin on things.  

3: I dont really think either Abel or Aaryanna are necessarily wrong or right. They just happen to be two individuals who have vastly different approaches to life and both are the stubborn-faced types.  As some folks noted in the conversation, a lot of the situation hinged on a bunch of "Well what if..." possibilities. That was intentional.

4: I like big butts and I cannot lie.

VAE

Quote from: Scarydragon on April 12, 2010, 11:08:49 AM

But as for the whole Aary liking Abel, it totally makes sense that's she's being a horrible bitch to him, while still wanting to jump his bones. She might see acting nice to the guy she wants to sex up as being 'un-sucubus-like'. I suspect she thinks that guys are supposed to pine after her, not the other way around.
I would more go with the theory that half of her wants to make mad shapeshifting cubi love with him while half is appalled at his lack of virility and whiny attitude which does not allow her to actually do so.
That basically gives a reason for the shouting and so - what aary is saying essentially is:
"For the love of [insert deity] behave like a proper cubi so that i can go to bed  with you without my conscience and pride  tearing my mind in half"  
Of course the latter could have an effect too... although she is not a fjord
Quote from: Amber Williams on April 12, 2010, 11:26:55 AM

2: I find almost as bad as one-dimensionalness is that sometimes authors will feel compelled to try to over-dimension things.  Sometimes you just gotta sit back and accept that some roses have their thorns, some characters are just as shallow as they appear to be, and that not everything is a buildup to a grand scheme.  While part of me does find it interesting/nice/amusing? to see how much conversation has come up regarding Abel and Aary...I have been trying to keep relatively quiet on the matter since I don't want to word of god the conversation.  The Aaryanna character is most definately not one of the deepest ones in the cast, but I find her presence gives her a unique spin on things.   

True, not to mention even the fact that a lot of grand schemes can rely on one-dimensional characters' actions.
In a war, most soldiers want to survive, bed women, get drunk and stuff like that (or another common thing is kill the enemy who did whatever to their homeland )
Yet interesting tactical manevres and compelling battles happen with them as actors.

However if someone's butt is so big he cannot lie it becomes a problem.... BD
Saphroneth

Prof B Hunnydew

I am only going to say a couple things.
2:   The Aaryanna character is most definately not one of the deepest ones in the cast, but I find her presence gives her a unique spin on things.  

3: I don't really think either Abel or Aaryanna are necessarily wrong or right. They just happen to be two individuals who have vastly different approaches to life and both are the stubborn-faced types.  As some folks noted in the conversation, a lot of the situation hinged on a bunch of "Well what if..." possibilities. That was intentional.

2:   Aary fans should note, that she is a minor character.  And she meant to be a thorn in Abel side.  I have meet persons who are more shallow and one-dimensional than her.

3: Amber finds us Amusing....

4: "I like big butts and I cannot lie...." so do alot of the guys.

PBH

MelSkunk

These other brothers might deny that.

I agree with number 2. I don't see anything wrong with Aary wanting Abelbutt as a motivator because as you point out, sometimes that's how life is.

What *I* want to know is if Mink wants to sleep with Abel
*runs and ducks from the thrown fruit*

Suwako

This comic left a big stupid grin on my face and I think it is stuck, oh dear.

And hurray for the mention of intercourse, such a lovely lovely development. The expressions like always make the comic in my opinion, just look at Minks reaction, oh dear, he just rose two awesome points and got stuck there like the grin on my face. I don't care about how one dimensional the characters are and I can't be bothered to analyse their characters and critise them, perhaps thankfully so. I just enjoy the comic and try not to think about things that might bother me. I'm bothered enough in life as it is.  :)

*grins*

Drayco84

Dammit! You'd think there would be more parodies of that song, but you'd be surprised...

Here kiddies, learn something.

Shachza

Quote from: Drayco84 on April 12, 2010, 01:45:30 PM
Dammit! You'd think there would be more parodies of that song, but you'd be surprised...

"That's how things float!"  *dundun dundun dundun dundun*  Damn you!  Now I can't stop humming that...   :mowignore

Quote from: Mao Laoren on April 12, 2010, 08:54:05 AM
I don't think that's the case but, who knows?  It doesn't seem likely to me that he'd be able to successfully do that to her, or vice versa.  It just kinda seems far-fetched to me.  In fact, I think it's just the normal kinda frustration that comes when a girl likes a guy, but is trying to change him to some ideal but can't figure out how.  That's just me though.

I agree with you on her reaction.  I'm surprised more people haven't picked up on the amount of frustration that can be evoked by meeting that one person you really want to become friends or more with, and they don't notice a damned thing.  To me it seems perfectly logical that she is freaking pissed as hell simply because she can't seem to reach Abel.

In terms of the emotion-jamming, I know what Amber said, but I cannot believe that Abel is not broadcasting some sort of vibe that could be making Aary's reaction worse.  When I'm seriously pissed I want people to know it.  I'm sure that if I had 'cubi powers like Abel I'd literally be sharing the hate, even if it was unconsciously.  He certainly has enough bottled up right now, and with enough you lose control, and the unintentional and leaky nature of it might be what makes it so subtle.  Mink senses it and that's just more reason for him to stick around and try to help Abel; Mink doesn't like the vibe.
            <-- #1 that is!

Jasonrevall

I like Aary's reaction. That irrational anger that just makes you lose control of your words happens from time to time when two people don't see something from the same perspective. Even when you have a plan to approach the person a certain way it just all blows up in your face.  Ah social interaction, I wish there was a manual for stuff like this.
Forward ever onward upward aiming skyward.

Shachza

Quote from: Jasonrevall on April 12, 2010, 02:59:29 PM
I like Aary's reaction. That irrational anger that just makes you lose control of your words happens from time to time when two people don't see something from the same perspective. Even when you have a plan to approach the person a certain way it just all blows up in your face.  Ah social interaction, I wish there was a manual for stuff like this.

I would definitely subscribe to that...

<.<
>.>

What?  I don't get out much.  :P
            <-- #1 that is!

Caswin

"He bugs me.  He bugs me, and I shall have him."
Quote from: DamarisThis is the most freaking civil "flame war" I have ever seen in my life.
Yap yap.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Drayco84 on April 12, 2010, 01:45:30 PM

I prefer this one...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Psychedelic Mushroom

Quote from: RandomMetaphysics on April 12, 2010, 04:47:04 AM
Ok... that... that was funny. I felt something was coming that would blow us all out of the water.
But Amber did not just blow us out of the water. Amber nuked the freaking ocean :mwaha

Nyahahahahaha!!! I know!!! :erk I nearly laughed to death when I saw Mink say that with such a cute face  :lol

Tangent

2: I find almost as bad as one-dimensionalness is that sometimes authors will feel compelled to try to over-dimension things.  Sometimes you just gotta sit back and accept that some roses have their thorns, some characters are just as shallow as they appear to be, and that not everything is a buildup to a grand scheme.  While part of me does find it interesting/nice/amusing? to see how much conversation has come up regarding Abel and Aary...I have been trying to keep relatively quiet on the matter since I don't want to word of god the conversation.  The Aaryanna character is most definately not one of the deepest ones in the cast, but I find her presence gives her a unique spin on things.  

3: I dont really think either Abel or Aaryanna are necessarily wrong or right. They just happen to be two individuals who have vastly different approaches to life and both are the stubborn-faced types.  As some folks noted in the conversation, a lot of the situation hinged on a bunch of "Well what if..." possibilities. That was intentional.
On #2. - Oh that's quite true. I doff my hat to you, Amber (it's a top hat! Got it at Anime Boston... I'll have to post pics when I get ahold of the pics seeing they're on a friend's camera). There is such a thing as overdoing stuff... and as my "criticism" shows, I was ambivalent on this aspect because while it did transform this aggression into sexual tension on Aary's part, it was also true to some of her character as shown later on in DMFA (which would be earlier on, seeing that it was... oh hell, time travel just gives me a headache. You know what I mean.)

You managed to insert a bit of humor into the situation, and AS has a bit less of The Funny than DMFA as a whole. I was just expecting something different with Aary, from how you managed to build on her in AS compared to DMFA as a whole.

On #3. - One of the problems inherent in the graphic media is that you are limited as to what you can show. A picture may be worth a thousand words, but what you're saying is far different than what you can come up with in prose. Sadly, we don't know all of what happened in the past with Aary and Destania urging Abel to confront Aniz. But I do suspect that this is where they went wrong. They put it forth as "confronting Aniz" instead of "why don't you visit your mom? We know you want to. We'll keep an eye on her for you, so you don't have to worry about May."

The latter? Might have worked. It definitely would have led Abel to examine his reasons for avoiding his mother... and may have even led to his writing his mother. But we will only know this as a fact when we look into the alternative reality where you won the lottery and hired dozens of art monkeys (I believe Damonk over at Framed!!! has some) to draw for you and presented this storyline more in full. =^-^=

Hey, art monkeys aren't exactly cheap, ya know... ^^;;
Robert A. Howard, Tangents Reviews
http://www.tangents.us

Merlin

Duh, if a girl picks on you that means she likes you. So does that make SAIA more of a primary school or an academy?

Also I'm lovin all the comics with Mink in them. He's way too cute :3

candide

Unlike everyone else, I was completely taken by surprise by the last panel.  Well played, Amber.  Well played.   :mowhappy

Baal Hadad

Quote from: candide on April 12, 2010, 07:12:46 PM
Unlike everyone else, I was completely taken by surprise by the last panel.  Well played, Amber.  Well played.   :mowhappy

Unlike everyone else...?

I was taken by surprise too....  I just thought it explained why she was butting into his business since I couldn't see any reason why it meant anything to her--but it never occurred to me that THAT was the reason....