01/11/10 [DMFA #1076] -a Belt like that

Started by Rambon, January 11, 2010, 05:53:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eon

Quote from: Drathorin on January 13, 2010, 02:52:58 PM
You expect some sort of semblance of order?

You fool! THIS IS CLOCKWORK MANSION FORUMS!

If this be a clockwork mansion, then surely it ought to be the very paragon of order? o.รณ

Anker Steadfast

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on January 13, 2010, 05:03:44 PM
Quote from: Anker Steadfast on January 13, 2010, 04:04:25 PM
Says the man with -3324 on his IQ ... Zombie fodder he is not.  :D

You can talk...

Ooooooooo ... I'm not in danger of zombies eatin' me brain no more - Awesome! :D

And I was aiming more in the direction of Mao Lauren being the boogeyman !
If that makes any sense. heh.

GAH - I have been lured into fiddling with forum tamagotchies.

Chakat Blackspots

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on January 11, 2010, 10:57:52 PM
Quote from: kusanagi-sama on January 11, 2010, 10:46:21 PM
I'm guessing Dan doesn't really have a problem with Pyro being a dragon?
I'd say it's more the fact that he can see that not only is Alexsi still in one piece, but she seems to be enjoying herself as well (ruling out a kidnapping), and, for Alexsi, Dan is going to man up and let his prejudices slide.

Because you do have to remember, Dan personally isn't on good terms with most dragons...

and that's not even factoring in that they're a type of Creature (something adventurers like Dan hunted) and the problems that he's a Cyra clan cubi (something that every dragon except for Pyroduck apparently hates, though Dan may not know this).

Well, I guess Dan will have to learn to like Pyro once Alexsi introduces him to Dan a little more than what Dan does know about Pyro.

Anker Steadfast

It's interesting, I've always pegged Dan and Pyroduck as good buddies.
Not best of friends, but certainly on the same page, if you know what I mean.

I think they'll get to be excellent friends, Dan tends to be a nice person after all. :)

Mao

Quote from: Anker Steadfast on January 13, 2010, 07:18:45 PM
Ooooooooo ... I'm not in danger of zombies eatin' me brain no more - Awesome! :D

And I was aiming more in the direction of Mao Lauren being the boogeyman !
If that makes any sense. heh.

Might want to take a look at the IQ scores of some of the admin team,  they're worse than mine (at least until one of them gets bored and starts tampering with the numbers).  One should never take those silly internet numbers seriously.  You never know who's been tampering with them.

As for me being said boogeyman, I believe I've already clarified that I'm not one of them.  I've found some of their stuff amusing and to be a social phenomena worth taking note of, but that's the extent of it.

Eon

Quote from: Anker Steadfast on January 14, 2010, 04:26:53 AM
It's interesting, I've always pegged Dan and Pyroduck as good buddies.
Not best of friends, but certainly on the same page, if you know what I mean.

I think they'll get to be excellent friends, Dan tends to be a nice person after all. :)

Actually, I'm re-reading DMFA from the beginning, and it seems that Dan has always been slightly diffident around him.

Anker Steadfast

Quote from: Mao Laoren on January 14, 2010, 05:20:14 AM
Might want to take a look at the IQ scores of some of the admin team,  they're worse than mine (at least until one of them gets bored and starts tampering with the numbers).  One should never take those silly internet numbers seriously.  You never know who's been tampering with them.

Yeah, I noticed.

Yesterday I had +4 and -1003 ... so I had an IQ of -999 ! :D
But today, some meanie has given me another positive, so it's all weird now.

I'm still zombie proof though. :)

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Anker Steadfast on January 14, 2010, 08:27:48 AM
I'm still zombie proof though. :)

I doubt it. Have you seen the zombies around here?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Netrogo

I seriously wouldn't be surprised if Amber was a /b/tard, given her usual 'states' in news posts, comics, and the forum.

On the main topic, something that just occured to me about Matilda's belt. We know she can store "up to 200 items" in it, but where exactly do they go. I know hammer space and all that but usually items that access said space have atleast some form of an opening that you will drop said items into. Matilda's belt is a strip of fabric, we see no pockets or holes in it thus far. Or does she simple slip said items between the belt and her waist and 'poof' gone. In that case though wouldn't the belt take her too just by putting it on?
Once upon a time I actually posted here.

Eon

Maybe the pockets are concealed along the inside of the belt, where we have yet to see.

Mao

I love how you guys are trying to apply logic to a fantasy based comic in which magic, dragons and god like fae run about.  It's so cute.

Eon

If it's as well-constructed a fantasy universe as it appears to be, then there ought to be some rules that operate within that fantasy framework. True, in the realm of the supernatural, anything is a-go, but fantasy universes in fiction where anything goes tend to come across as rather shallow and poorly thought out. I don't think DMFA is like that, so I don't see anything wrong with speculating about things like this.

Mao

This one is well thought out, but it's also the artistic endeavor of a crazy person.  Trust me, there are some things she's just as likely to claim "a wizard did it" as she is to have a plan.  To assume that she's thought out the details of every minutia is a bit much as well.  Particularly where it comes to a gag.

Edit: I swear, people won't be content until they've analyzed everything to the point where there's no magic, mystery or gag left in this story that hasn't been beaten to death with their speculation.

Eon

Quote from: Mao Laoren on January 14, 2010, 09:51:40 AM
This one is well thought out, but it's also the artistic endeavor of a crazy person.  Trust me, there are some things she's just as likely to claim "a wizard did it" as she is to have a plan.  To assume that she's thought out the details of every minutia is a bit much as well.  Particularly where it comes to a gag.

Edit: I swear, people won't be content until they've analyzed everything to the point where there's no magic, mystery or gag left in this story that hasn't been beaten to death with their speculation.

Well, you don't have to join in on the speculation, do you?

I could be (and I probably am) completely wrong about Matilda's belt, but it's fun to speculate about how these things work in the meantime.

llearch n'n'daCorna

This one is well thought out, but it's also the artistic endeavor of a crazy person.  Trust me, there are some things she's just as likely to claim "a wizard did it" as she is to have a plan.  To assume that she's thought out the details of every minutia is a bit much as well.  Particularly where it comes to a gag.

:deadhorse

No?

Mao

I haven't and I generally don't, but it's a bother to check a new post and all it contains is drivel based on the users own baseless opinion.  Asking a question to the author is fine.  You may even get a response.  Spouting off for paragraphs about stuff to which you likely have no facts to back you up, or ones that can (and often have) changed on a whim seems pointless and like waffling to me.  Just wanting to talk to hear your own voice and for the hopes that if you do get validated you can sit with a sense of smug self worth at your chair. (which you can't, according to the rules of this forum, then brag about...at least not here)

Dawww, thanks for the extra - IQ!  Feel free to toss some more on there~

Turnsky

Quote from: Eon on January 14, 2010, 10:03:32 AM
This one is well thought out, but it's also the artistic endeavor of a crazy person.  Trust me, there are some things she's just as likely to claim "a wizard did it" as she is to have a plan.  To assume that she's thought out the details of every minutia is a bit much as well.  Particularly where it comes to a gag.

I could be (and I probably am) completely wrong about Matilda's belt, but it's fun to speculate about how these things work in the meantime.

ask me sometime and i'll tell you how Ariannia's streetlights work, i've even got diagrams!  >:3

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Keleth

It's like when some friends and I have our local movie nights.

Usually in some movies they have some sort of stunt or event that defies logic or the rules of the universe.

Someone will always start to go "What why how rah rah I think this is what's going on"

To which some of us yell "SUSPENSION OF DISBELIEF!"

Or "It's magic!"

Or "Stop being such a tool and enjoy the goddamn movie!"

I now apply those sayings to this forum and all prior posts. . now.
Help! I'm gay!

Corgatha Taldorthar

Yes, because obviously, people who enjoy applying logic, and critical thinking to their entertainment, who like to work out the ideas and bounce them off each other, are mentally deficient, or perhaps psychologically disturbed.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Keleth

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on January 14, 2010, 10:52:23 AM
Yes, because obviously, people who enjoy applying logic, and critical thinking to their entertainment, who like to work out the ideas and bounce them off each other, are mentally deficient, or perhaps psychologically disturbed.

Now you're getting it!
Help! I'm gay!

ooklah

Quote from: Turnsky on January 14, 2010, 10:11:26 AM

ask me sometime and i'll tell you how Ariannia's streetlights work, i've even got diagrams!  >:3

ooh! diagrams!!
<wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka>
"Why no, officer, I am not made of pancakes."

Anker Steadfast

Quote from: ooklah on January 14, 2010, 12:37:40 PM

ooh! diagrams!!

Do they have mows in them ? :)

iceick

Quote from: Anker Steadfast on January 14, 2010, 08:27:48 AM
Yesterday I had +4 and -1003 ... so I had an IQ of -999 ! :D
But today, some meanie has given me another positive, so it's all weird now.

Hey it's not being mean, I just like what you started by replying to my post.
Heh, heh, heh, I'm evil, I know, and I love it :mwaha.

Quote from: Drathorin on January 14, 2010, 10:49:08 AM

Usually in some movies they have some sort of stunt or event that defies logic or the rules of the universe.

Someone will always start to go "What why how rah rah I think this is what's going on"

Or "It's magic!"

But you're blocking avenues of creativity by doing that.  As an example, a few years ago, I was watching Dogma with a few geek friends of mine. After the movie, we got into some speculations about the creative use of holy water in the movie and the general concept of "holyness". (Basically, one character is said to be descendant of Jesus. She has now the ability to bless things, even something mundane as a bowl of water, producing holy water. Which of course is poisonous for the creatures from the "other side" and which she uses in interesting ways during the movie.

This went so far that we were speculating in the end if "holyness were some kind of chemical component and if holy water would result in holy steam if you heated it".  :B
Sure you could have cut short the whole discussion saying "Dude, chill, it's only a movie". However, you'd have missed oput on the cool array of holy-water-based makeshift weapons that were the end result of that conversation ;)

Of course no author should let himself strangle by the inner laws of his/her story. And obviously comic relief and logical rules don't go well together and it's not really hard to see which should take precidence here :)
Still, throwing all logical speculation out of the window isn't the rifht thing to do either, IMO. Because then you couldn't speculate over anything and couldn't make up any cool ideas of what might or might not happen in the world of that story. and that would be sad.

Keleth

Quote from: 127.0.0.2 on January 14, 2010, 08:07:58 PM
Quote from: Drathorin on January 14, 2010, 10:49:08 AM

Or "It's magic!"

But you're blocking avenues of creativity by doing that.  As an example, a few years ago, I was watching Dogma with a few geek friends of mine. After the movie, we got into some speculations about the creative use of holy water in the movie and the general concept of "holyness". (Basically, one character is said to be descendant of Jesus. She has now the ability to bless things, even something mundane as a bowl of water, producing holy water. Which of course is poisonous for the creatures from the "other side" and which she uses in interesting ways during the movie.

This went so far that we were speculating in the end if "holyness were some kind of chemical component and if holy water would result in holy steam if you heated it".  :B
Sure you could have cut short the whole discussion saying "Dude, chill, it's only a movie". However, you'd have missed oput on the cool array of holy-water-based makeshift weapons that were the end result of that conversation ;)

Of course no author should let himself strangle by the inner laws of his/her story. And obviously comic relief and logical rules don't go well together and it's not really hard to see which should take precidence here :)
Still, throwing all logical speculation out of the window isn't the rifht thing to do either, IMO. Because then you couldn't speculate over anything and couldn't make up any cool ideas of what might or might not happen in the world of that story. and that would be sad.

Then we have the other extremity where people spend weeks theorizing about every other detail. Every single working thing to try to explain every minute detail, every single possibility.

Just to get a single moment of "Oh mah god. They. . They looked at me. The owner/writer of this work ACKNOWLEDGED my existance!"

Where the movie/literary work/strip/whatever is say an hour worth of enertainment. People get consumed and spend weeks or months trying to figure out every single detail.  Where the creator spent perhaps just a few moments if not seconds just thinking "The Rule of Cool/Lolz/Neat" apply.

Then they get pissy when you tell em to stop, or you think their opinion that they spent months and hours of their every waking day. . fabricating.

Also, sunlight. They hate it and burst into flames. Only Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter can save us now.
Help! I'm gay!

Turnsky

Quote from: Anker Steadfast on January 14, 2010, 12:59:27 PM
Quote from: ooklah on January 14, 2010, 12:37:40 PM

ooh! diagrams!!

Do they have mows in them ? :)

just baconspiders

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

MT Hazard

Its all about balance, while I admire those who put a lot of effort into their work (and figuring out how things work) its often a case of story first, detail later. Sometimes a vague explanation is enough.

That said the only sure fire way to enjoy some modern entertainment is power down you brain for a bit, just don't make a habit off it.

Further more I know what happens when you put detail first and story second, all to many of my story ideas have failed because of it. One example would be the book Jumper (there was no film) do we know how the main character teleports? Other than some vague hints about wormholes, no. Do most people care? No.

Apart form star trek, that has its own rules.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: MT Hazard on January 15, 2010, 10:46:28 AM
Further more I know what happens when you put detail first and story second, all to many of my story ideas have failed because of it. One example would be the book Jumper (there was no film) do we know how the main character teleports? Other than some vague hints about wormholes, no. Do most people care? No.

Was the film really that bad?

I mean, my expectations weren't very high, but still...

Anker Steadfast

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on January 15, 2010, 10:50:12 AM
Quote from: MT Hazard on January 15, 2010, 10:46:28 AM

Was the film really that bad?

I mean, my expectations weren't very high, but still...

I saw it ... I kinda want my time back. :(

techmaster-glitch

Jumper? Saw it, liked it, still think it would make an excellent TV show :D (David goes around, collects a group of Jumpers, they fight against the Paladins together)