Oh I never thought I'd see this day...

Started by thegayhare, May 06, 2009, 10:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thegayhare

Yep it's official I can now get married...  course I still need a groom

Today the govener of maine signed a bill into law legalizing gay marriage in the state.

*dances*

I'll admit it's not a lock yet  it doesn't go into effect for 90 days and there is a chance for a referendum knocking it back but damn this is cool

*dances in the street... even though its still raining*

gotta find me a groom, now... Hmm I wonder... *starts eying certain forum members*

Mao

*checks himself*  Yup, still straight.  Sorry TGH.  ;)

However, I have to say congrats.  It's nice to get treated equally, isn't it?

thegayhare

Quote from: Mao Laoren on May 06, 2009, 10:29:02 PM
*checks himself*  Yup, still straight.  Sorry TGH.  ;)

However, I have to say congrats.  It's nice to get treated equally, isn't it?

Well I can fix that...

*hides the chloroform and stun gun*

*giggles*

sorry just being silly

Mao

Hmm..toss the chloroform, but keep the stun gun.  Then we'll talk. :P

Keleth

I've always been confused on one thing, is it the common law marriage, or the Christian God makes you couples for life marriage?
Help! I'm gay!

Turnsky

go oldschool and just use a big wooden club.

"ug"

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Pagan

Ah, so Maine joins the list now? Woots for Maine then.
After a long time, some things change. Some things don't. And I still love Regina!

Janus Whitefurr

Quote from: Turnsky on May 06, 2009, 11:39:04 PM

"ug"

Well, he has had the idea for a tribal bunny story in the past, along with inspirations...
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

thegayhare

Quote from: Drathorin on May 06, 2009, 11:34:00 PM
I've always been confused on one thing, is it the common law marriage, or the Christian God makes you couples for life marriage?

It's civil marraige

part of the new lay says no church will be forced to prefore same sex marriage ceremonies

Quote from: Turnsky on May 06, 2009, 11:39:04 PM

"ug"

Ever see history of the world part 1?  
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkz83VFEk1A

the scene I'm talking bout starts at 1:56

shadowterm

See, that kinda makes me sad because California passed prop 8. The only reason it passed is because they campaigned that it prevented the teaching of gay "relations" in schools, which was really only a secondary part of it. The main part was getting us "blaspheming gay folk" to stop treading on their sacred bonds. (having a dirty mind: Writing "sacred bonds," and thinking dirty thoughts.)
/)//w//(\

rabid_fox

It'd be so much a less contentious issue if it were called civil union or legal union or something like that.

Oh dear.

TheDXM

Quote from: rabid_fox on May 07, 2009, 01:28:17 PM

It'd be so much a less contentious issue if it were called civil union or legal union or something like that.

I'm not so sure about that. In reality, it's more a cop-out than anything. Gay marriage isn't good enough to be considered marriage so we have to rename the legal definition en masse now? Pah. Unfortunately, the fact is that there's some people who just DO NOT want there to be same sex unions of any kind. Period. More accurately, it seems to me, which I admit is based entirely on conjecture, that some just don't want the doctrinal concept of marriage to be separate from the legal one. This is the main hump to get over.

Sure, you could change the definition, and if the rights bestowed from the union were the same as any marriage, then there would be no reason (read: little) to complain. The churches could safely ignore gay marriage, and gays would still get their rights. The only people who would complain then would be the generic homophobes who follow the suit that homosexuality must equal the degradation of society. But I can't be the only one to think that's indicative of how silly this entire ordeal with ourselves about whether or not we're finally willing to separate church and state, has actually been.

While I'm not complaining about the fairness of the idea of civil unions, it certainly begs the question: If it were so simple, how come it has taken so long to reach this breaking point where the states are even considering the matter?

Anyways, best of luck TGH: While I'm certain there will be some attempt for a referendum, at least it's a step forward. Time will tell if it becomes two more steps back.

Angel

Congratulations, and yay! Only 44 to go now! I'm happy for everyone in Maine now! (Now, I have a gay friend in Kentucky.... how many years before they give in? :3 )
The Real Myth of Sisyphus:
The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water spout,
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,
And the itsy-bitsy spider went up the spout again...
BANDWAGON JUMP!

superluser

Quote from: Black_angel on May 07, 2009, 11:12:08 PMCongratulations, and yay! Only 44 to go now! I'm happy for everyone in Maine now! (Now, I have a gay friend in Kentucky.... how many years before they give in? :3 )

I believe Kentucky is one of the states where they managed to get state legislators to join in a lawsuit alleging that Obama is not a natural born citizen.

It might take a while.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Jigsaw Forte

Quote from: The DXM on May 07, 2009, 05:46:18 PM
Quote from: rabid_fox on May 07, 2009, 01:28:17 PM

While I'm not complaining about the fairness of the idea of civil unions, it certainly begs the question: If it were so simple, how come it has taken so long to reach this breaking point where the states are even considering the matter?

How frickin' long did it take for a black man to get elected president?

Stuff takes TIME, man! Especially when it's the kind of stuff that 4-odd years ago probably got Bush re-elected....

LionHeart

Quote from: thegayhare on May 06, 2009, 10:27:09 PM
Yep it's official I can now get married...  course I still need a groom

Today the govener of maine signed a bill into law legalizing gay marriage in the state.

*dances*

I'll admit it's not a lock yet  it doesn't go into effect for 90 days and there is a chance for a referendum knocking it back but damn this is cool

*dances in the street... even though its still raining*

gotta find me a groom, now... Hmm I wonder... *starts eying certain forum members*

I'm straight, but I do think the whole business over gay marriage is a bit ridiculous.

A marriage is between two consenting adults who have chosen to join their lives together, and it should not matter a damn what gender each of them is.

Also, your comment about dancing in the rainy streets made me think of this song.
"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity