Exactly. (You beat me to it. :P)

llearch n'n'daCorna

So... prominent and dangerous?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Brunhidden

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on December 05, 2008, 04:01:57 AM
So... prominent and dangerous?

i felt that saying 'people of note' or 'important people' would offend those not on the list

and several of the people you put up wont be getting bios from me due to me not knowing them well enough
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Oh, heck, I just selected random names to fill out the spaces. Feel free to remove them, they were just there to hold the frame, as it were, so I could see how it looked when complete.

Mao

And here I was hoping there was some progress on this that we could soon be privy to.  Though I suppose the first clue should have been that my name was up there.

Tapewolf

Awesome, the list is being populated.  One quibble with mine is that it says I applied for divinity.  Godhood isn't obtained like that - you don't ask them, they ask you... 

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

llearch n'n'daCorna

Oh, you're welcome to ask. If you do, you get removed from the list of applicants.

Sort of a catch-22, as it were...

Mao

Sort of:  if you have to ask, it's already no.

llearch n'n'daCorna

* llearch n'n'daCorna edits the layout, and makes it look pretty.

I'll go back and apply the A layout across the rest of the entries when I'm idle some other time... Perhaps after I get home...

Darkmoon

I'll take care of it now. I have a free moment...
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on December 05, 2008, 02:59:04 PM
Oh, you're welcome to ask. If you do, you get removed from the list of applicants.

"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job."
--Douglas Adams

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Darkmoon on December 05, 2008, 04:05:41 PM
I'll take care of it now. I have a free moment...

Thanks, D.

Damaris

personally, I'm not amused by the project.  I mean, you were concerned that "important" would offend people, but calling people trolls that cause trouble isn't.

*shrugs*

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

Mao

I would think, that where this is meant to act as a warning/survival guide to new comers, it would be wise to advise them of people who are known to be argumentative and at times, downright mean, in their discussions.  While the term Troll carries with it some nasty connotations and could be possibly replaced with another term, the idea remains.  Though it does seem odd that important would be an issue if the project was willing to call someone a troll.

Zina

Quote from: Mao Laoren on December 07, 2008, 03:03:51 PM
I would think, that where this is meant to act as a warning/survival guide to new comers, it would be wise to advise them of people who are known to be argumentative and at times, downright mean, in their discussions.  While the term Troll carries with it some nasty connotations and could be possibly replaced with another term, the idea remains.  Though it does seem odd that important would be an issue if the project was willing to call someone a troll.

Ehn, I don't know about that. I was under the assumption that this list was meant to be silly. Like the way people always joke about who they should "watch out for" when greeting new members. Writing that so and so's a jerk, watch out for them, seems a tad mean-spirited, and I can only see it ending with people getting angry.

superluser

My impression was that it was supposed to be silly, as well.

Of course, a true troll would enjoy being called one, and many jerks would, too.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Mao

Quote from: Zina on December 07, 2008, 05:16:19 PM
Quote from: Mao Laoren on December 07, 2008, 03:03:51 PM

Ehn, I don't know about that. I was under the assumption that this list was meant to be silly. Like the way people always joke about who they should "watch out for" when greeting new members. Writing that so and so's a jerk, watch out for them, seems a tad mean-spirited, and I can only see it ending with people getting angry.

Fair enough, though I think this list doesn't outright call them a jerk (or fully even imply it)  and I don't feel that your example of calling so and so a jerk is quite on the mark, unless it were to come to pass.  Further to that, I don't think Brun would do that.  Even if he did, this list is stickied and on your forum (by yours, read all mods) so if you think something is unfair, you guys have the ability to mod it, unfettered.

Damaris

oh, don't worry.  I have every intention to mod it, the first complaint that I receive.

So, I would imagine it would be a good idea to retool a few of the classes. Just a thought.

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

Zina

Quote from: Mao Laoren on December 07, 2008, 07:16:25 PM

Fair enough, though I think this list doesn't outright call them a jerk (or fully even imply it)  and I don't feel that your example of calling so and so a jerk is quite on the mark, unless it were to come to pass.  Further to that, I don't think Brun would do that.  Even if he did, this list is stickied and on your forum (by yours, read all mods) so if you think something is unfair, you guys have the ability to mod it, unfettered.

Saying so and so is argumentative and can be down-right mean is basically implying that someone can be a jerk. And having a public warning that someone within the community is a jerk isn't very friendly, imo. We're basically ostracizing current members, and I can certainly see people getting upset by that.

Reese Tora

I have an idea.

It's a joke post anyway, so far as most of the current entries go, so why don't we say anyone who doesn't want to be in it can opt out, just like for the random hug thread.  We can even take it a step further and encourage Brun to let someone know when they have been included if it's not certain that they are already aware of their entry.

Personally, I wouldn't mind if someone decided I was important enough to be included, but I have a sense of humor, and, who kows, I may learn something about myself through seeing how others percieve me.

Aside, I think it would be nice if there were a post made when updates happen, because it's diffucult to tell what, if anything, has changed from day to day without going through searching for new stuff.

Of course, all that would be more work for Brun that he may well not be interested in doing, but that's why it's just a suggestion from a lowly worm, not fit to eat the very earth beneath your feet, to sample the soil your mighty feet hath tread, who looketh up and holds in awe the very saliva of your disdainful expectoration, whose moisture he is not worthy to have cast upon him, oh wise and powerful moderator type people.  :bow :dotdotdot :paranoid ;)
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

llearch n'n'daCorna

... you're pretty good at that grovelling thing. We might keep you.

Lysander

Considering Brunhidden classifies himself as a troll I think the term couldn't be something too harsh in this instance.   :januscat
TytajLucheek

Eibborn

Brun is classified as a troll? Yeah, I see no need to get too worried about these categories being too honest for their own good.
/kicks the internet over

llearch n'n'daCorna

Have you seen Brun? No way he could be classified as anything else. ;-]

Brunhidden

DM- first off i only assigned a grand total of 3 people as trolls, llearch apparently changed himself to match too, nobody else was going to get the title.

furthermore, anyone who is not happy with their entry could request it changed, as was explained in the first post. i had not intended to offend anyone, but it seems that's impossible

llearch- gee, thanks....

im almost afraid to come back here, thus ill probably keep my trap shut asside from editing the bestiary itself
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Darkmoon

Quote from: Brunhidden on December 09, 2008, 07:21:38 PM
DM- first off i only assigned a grand total of 3 people as trolls, llearch apparently changed himself to match too, nobody else was going to get the title.

I got dibs on the nick name "DM".
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

Valynth

I'm shocked, SHOCKED I say, that I was even considered for this list, given how I'm well bellow the mod-dar (radar used by mods to detect good/bad forum goers and thus respond to them).  That being said, I'm just showing a bit of support for it and I can't wait to see what people are going to write for me.

It what I see is any indication it will be both hilarious and accurate.

....I wasn't supposed to reveal the mod-dar was I?........  *makes a break for it*
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

VSMIT

Is there actually any kind of requirement for joining the Bestiary?

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Valynth on December 10, 2008, 12:18:29 AM
I'm shocked, SHOCKED I say, that I was even considered for this list, given how I'm well bellow the mod-dar (radar used by mods to detect good/bad forum goers and thus respond to them).  That being said, I'm just showing a bit of support for it and I can't wait to see what people are going to write for me.

It what I see is any indication it will be both hilarious and accurate.

....I wasn't supposed to reveal the mod-dar was I?........  *makes a break for it*

Nobody is below the mod-dar. You should know that. ;-]

Quote from: VSMIT on December 10, 2008, 12:28:28 AM
Is there actually any kind of requirement for joining the Bestiary?

Activity on the forum, at least once?