[Art/Writing] Jairus: Merry Christmas

Started by Jairus, July 20, 2008, 04:25:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Jairus on September 27, 2008, 06:19:16 AM
... yeah, I know that my sleep schedule is completely different from yours, Boxy. Just a general thing.

Something to do with being in a totally different country, or something...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Jairus

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on September 27, 2008, 08:45:51 AM
Quote from: Jairus on September 27, 2008, 06:19:16 AM
... yeah, I know that my sleep schedule is completely different from yours, Boxy. Just a general thing.

Something to do with being in a totally different country, or something...
There is a slight possibility that this is the case.

Eight time zones over,
A world apart. And somehow
We can talk like this.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Jairus

Still practicing the Jyrras sketching... decided to try sketching by eye one of Amber's full body pictures of Jy...

From Strip 413. It's not bad, but I had to redraw the original head I had because it was slightly smaller. The proportions for Jy3 seem to be about 1-1-1-2 (hair - head - body - legs), and I had the head at the wrong proportion. It's funny, but I want to draw him a little thinner than Amber does: maybe once I've got him down I'll do some actual fanart. Anyway, still getting the process down. And the head is still bothering me. On the plus side, I'm much more satisfied with his hair. It just looks better.

EDIT: Fixed the fluff on his tail, and also moved his head down a bit... his neck was too long. And now I just realized that I didn't fix his collar. Damn.

Um, regarding "Jy3": I kind of refer to Jyrras in development stages. Jy1 is the earliest strips, Jy2 is the lankier smoother figure from around the arc when his family visits, Jy3 is this arc through about Saia when he's starting to get a little fuzzier, while Jy4 is the more recent "Ear-zilla" type who looks much fuzzier than the earlier ones. It's just how I group them, and I know that aside from the original style shift it's been a fluid development of how they're drawn on Amber's part. And I could probably divide it up a little better, but four divisions works for me. And I also know that given the medium and Amber's drawing style, this stuff about proportions is just a general thing: Amber seems to draw characters in the way that fits the scene best.

Also, I tried drawing a Jy1-style picture, but I discovered two things: one, the comparative lack of details and coloring makes it almost impossible to get issues of scale right; two, I just can't draw that way. Besides, I think Amber would hurt me if I drew fanart in the style of the earlier strips.

And I have officially stretched this explanation on long enough.

EDIT:
I want to get it
Just right. I want to improve,
Be better at it.

My haiku are just
A little too topical. Should
I work to fix that?

EDIT 2: I'm considering changing the title of this thread to "[Art] Jairus", considering that it's becoming a balance of my writing and my practice drawings.

Jairus

Okay, another Jyrras sketch... and for the first time it's not based on strip art.

I have no idea how old he is here... I think six or seven, maybe eight. Definitely pre-meeting Dan, though. He's supposed to have his t-shirt untucked, with the sides hitched up a bit so he can get his hands in his pockets. He's a bit on the scrawny side, though, and the eyes are really faint: sorry about that, they look kind of stupid if I fill them in at the edges a little more.

Anyway... comments, advice, notes, anything? All will be appreciated.

EDIT: Okay, based on some advice, I've made a few changes to the face... and I like it much much better now. The eyes especially.

EDIT 2:
This sword can cut through
Steel like butter. So why does
It not cut its sheath?

Jairus

Okay, I'm done inking it.

I think I prefer it at a smaller scale... the mistakes in the inking don't stand out as much. I'll definitely be reducing the image's size when it's colored.

Incidentally, I have an idea for a background/setting to put this picture in. We'll see if I can make it work.

Jairus

Another profile. This one for the Aneshrii tigress Calvin. I have no shame. Maybe I should change her nickname to "Kelvin."

Hobessu "Calvin" to Karuben

Name: Hobessu to Karuben
Nicknames: Calvin, Hobbie
Family: unknown
Marital Status: Available
Species: Aneshrii
Type: None (alchemist/machinist)
Fur color: Orange/white
Eye color: Bright green
Skills: maintenance, boxing, kickboxing, gunnery, low-level alchemy, "negotiation"
Hobbies: Beating stuff up, ending barroom brawls
Favorite Weapon(s): Bare hands, physical strength, gauntlets
Most known for: Being an anthropomorphic tigress-like Aneshrii who doesn't wear much in the way of clothing
Favorite food: Steak, medium rare
Favorite color: Green
Overview
Personality: Vibrant and practically perky, Calvin approaches life with a refreshing upbeatness. She seems to be almost perpetually cheerful, though perhaps excited at life might be a better term. On the other hand, she is also extremely serious when it comes to her precious engines and machines, though even then the seriousness is hidden behind more laughter and jokes. If you had to nail a pattern down, she becomes calmer and more serious as the danger climbs: the moment that Calvin does not have a smile on her face is a dangerous one indeed. Despite her joking demeanor, however, she is not wont to lose her head in a critical situation, and can be counted on to at least provide a voice of sanity - well, comparitively.
History: Somewhat refreshingly, Calvin's own history is fairly well known. An Aneshrii from the Hobessu clan village, she decided - like many young Aneshrii - to travel before she found a mate. Unfortunately, she quickly ran into a bunch of slavers who took her prisoner. Fortunately, they were inexperienced, and did not know that an Aneshrii is incredibly strong. She escaped after beating them up and freeing all of the other slaves, and found herself in Carbaireos. She quickly put what few skills she'd picked up from traders who visited her village to good use, and became a mechanic in one of the towns, where she proved to be a fast learner. A year or so later, she happened to meet Telum while he was trolling around for a permanent skilled mechanic for the Shepherd Junior, a position she accepted in a heartbeat. The crew has been together since. At a few points since then, they have visited her old village, and she still keeps up tabs on her family.
Trivia:
• Though it is not her strong suit, Calvin does have training in being a gunner and operating weapons. She is not adverse to wielding heavy weapons in defense of her ship.
• She is either unaware that "Calvin" is not a girl's name, or she simply doesn't give a damn.
• Like many Aneshrii, she believes that the gods gave them lives that they may live them, and part of the reason that she joined with Kiyoshi and Telum is because a life of piracy promised excitement and a full life.
• She enjoys barroom brawls, especially ending them.
• Being covered in fur, she doesn't wear much in the way of clothing: no more than is required to be considered decent in a human city. She will wear robes or cloaks in inclement weather, however. She also wears sandals to help protect her feet. In battle, she also has a custom-built suit of armor for protection.
• In terms of maintenance, while she does understand the delicate nature of some mechanical components, she is of the school of thought that a little percussive maintenance can go a long way.
• She can often be found reading new mechanical journals and schematics, and also enjoys tinkering with junked machines and stolen hardward: she knows quite a bit about Imperial technology as a result of this.
• While she doesn't quite fit into a normal city lifestyle, it is possible that she doesn't care about not fitting in.
• Dropped comments from Ren, Telum, and Calvin hint that the three of them have on occasion enjoyed one another's "company," though they may be joking. Ren and Telum have also been occasionally mistaken as a couple, though in Telum and Ren's own words "Calvin is better in bed."
• She is not a trained boxer or kickboxer, but her style is a natural one similar to the fighting styles of her home village. It is very much a "dirty" style.
• She has not really studied magic, and is not a sorcerer. She does, however, know how to mix alchemical potions, and thus has some magic for use in battle. She makes up for this weakness with her brains and brawn.
Personal Quote: "You don't wanna touch that."

Okay, there's Calvin/Kelvin/Karuben. A scantily-clad attractive tigress character: clearly you sick deviants have corrupted me. ;) Okay, questions, comments, clarifications, WTFs?

PS:
Two more inked drawings.

Well, that's two more... and I have to say I really liked them better when they were just in pencil. Phoo. Oh well, maybe coloring will fix them.

I cannot draw fingers/hands, can I? *adds to list of things to work on*

LionHeart

Everybody has trouble with drawing hands. They're probably the most difficult part to learn to draw.

'Tis good stuffs, Jay. Keep it up.
"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

Jairus

Okay, a new sketch, and it's a Dan Ti'Fiona/Cloud Strife crossover, which basically means I'm not being original... again.

Okay, basically this is going to be Dan in Cloud's outfit, w/ Buster sword. Since it is Dan, he's not going to be wearing Cloud's sweater vest thingy. This was just a quick thing (about forty-five), but I kind of like it so far. It's hard to tell, but his left hand is supposed to be only half open, which is why the fingers look a bit funky. And I have no idea how his right hand is holding the sword: I think it's a reverse grip. And I know the wings are terrible, but they're just placeholder wings.

EDIT: I've made a few adjustments and fixed some things. The right hand doesn't look too bad.

EDIT 2: I forgot his tail. I can't believe I forgot the tail. Though, to be fair, I also forgot the tail on Jyrras Highwind. As Ren pointed out, I'm not used to drawing anthro art.

I've kind of talked about this with Ren, and this one is going to be apart of two crossover sketch themes, one being "Furry Fantasy VII," which is basically the two casts merged (Dan Strife, Abel Valentine, Jyrras Highwind, Alexsi Gainsborough, Mab Kisaragi, Pip XIII, Wildy Lockhart, Fi Sith, Lorenda Wallace, and Pyroduck as Sephiroth... well, something like that, anyway.). The other is "Final Fantasy Furry Adventurers," which is basically just the cast of DMFA in different jobs from the Final Fantasy Tactics series: Dan as a Fighter, Jy as a Machinist, Alexsi as a Monk, Wildy as a White Mage... this one is a little less thought out. How I am going to do all of these when I am doing classes and working on my book is beyond me, but we shall find out, won't we?

Okay, in this case advice really is wanted. Constructive criticism too. Basically, anything you can offer would be helpful, especially since I want this to look good. Thanks for looking!

Den's profile should be up later today.

Ren Gaulen

Hmm, nice sketch, Jay. It's great that you are trying to draw characters in some poses other than "just standing there". And we all know that Danny loves great swords. :3 Keep up the good work!

Jairus

Okay, number two in "Furry Fantasy VII..." Jyrras Highwind.

Okay, he's a combination of Jyrras and Cid Highwind, the Dragoon/Machinist of the FF7 cast. I felt it was the most appropriate match. I am not really satisfied with his left hand, and the right arm is still bugging me a bit, but aside from that I'm fairly happy with it. I've made a few costume changes to match Jyrras a little closer (especially the pants legs).

I think that I'll do either Abel Valentine or Pip XIII next.

Advice and constructive criticism always appreciated.

I promise, I'll get Den's profile up at some point. All I've got to do is his Personality Profile, Personal History, and Trivia Section... crud, that's most of the damn profile right there.

Ren Gaulen

Nice work, Jay! You are improving quickly. The more you draw, the better your drawing gets.

Janus Whitefurr

I cannot for the life of me imagine Jyrras telling people to sit their #&%*@( down and drink their goddamn tea.

...no, wait. Yes I can. Teehee.

:ferret
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Jairus

Quote from: Janus Whitefurr on September 29, 2008, 09:33:34 PM
I cannot for the life of me imagine Jyrras telling people to sit their #&%*@( down and drink their goddamn tea.

...no, wait. Yes I can. Teehee.
I did think of this...
"Sit your #&%*@( down and don't touch that goddamned red button!"
... but it doesn't have the same ring. I do like the idea of Jyrras actually intimidating his fellow cast members.

Quote:ferret
Cute!

Janus Whitefurr

Quote from: Jairus on September 29, 2008, 09:38:08 PM
I did think of this...
... but it doesn't have the same ring. I do like the idea of Jyrras actually intimidating his fellow cast members.

But the red button is there to stop them pressing all the other buttons! And belatedly: You wrote it "Jyrass". Teehee.  :3
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Jairus

Quote from: Janus Whitefurr on September 29, 2008, 09:45:23 PM
Quote from: Jairus on September 29, 2008, 09:38:08 PM
I did think of this...

But the red button is there to stop them pressing all the other buttons! And belatedly: You wrote it "Jyrass". Teehee.  :3

Shit.

Jairus

Okay, one more before I get to work on Abel Valentine.

Pip XIII, a meeting of Pip and Red XIII. Obviously, Pip is yellow, not red. I tried to slip in as many references to Red XIII's design as I could (feathers in the ears, the scar through his right eye, earrings, the tattoos, the bracelets), but a few of them were a bit beyond my grasp.

Yes, I know that Pip is not the most difficult character to draw. I figured I might as well get an easy one out of the way.

PS: I don't think Den's gonna get up tonight. Abel Valentine, however, is next.

Mao

Lets see... Vincent Valentine... my favorite character from the FFVII series is going to show up in some incarnation here.. Oh you better believe I'll be keeping an eye out for that.  As for the others,  Ren said it best:  The more you've been drawing, the better you've been getting.  Keep it up man.

Jairus

Quote from: Mowser on September 30, 2008, 07:54:40 AM
Lets see... Vincent Valentine... my favorite character from the FFVII series is going to show up in some incarnation here.. Oh you better believe I'll be keeping an eye out for that.  As for the others,  Ren said it best:  The more you've been drawing, the better you've been getting.  Keep it up man.
Well, either Abel Valentine is harder to draw than I thought, or I shouldn't try to draw at 1:30 in the morning. In short, Abel was giving me a headache. Here's what I've got so far...

So, basically, all I've got done are his pants and shoes. Ignore the gauntlet: it is going to be redrawn. The trick really is figuring out what the heck I'm going to do with his wings. I'm just thinking that instead of Vincent's red cloak, Abel would hold his wings close to his back and maybe have his headwings cover his mouth like with Vincent. But we'll see when I get that far. I may have to try one of the other characters first to warm up.

But thanks for the compliment. I'll try to finish this one today.

Sunblink

Quote from: Jairus on September 30, 2008, 10:44:46 AM
So, basically, all I've got done are his pants and shoes. Ignore the gauntlet: it is going to be redrawn. The trick really is figuring out what the heck I'm going to do with his wings. I'm just thinking that instead of Vincent's red cloak, Abel would hold his wings close to his back and maybe have his headwings cover his mouth like with Vincent. But we'll see when I get that far. I may have to try one of the other characters first to warm up.

This is a bit pedantic, but I think you should probably reconsider the head-wings. While it's a very good idea, I don't think Abel's head-wings could bend all the way around his head unless he enlarged them, and even then, it might just cover the majority of his face. But then again, that's what Cubi metamorphosis is for... so if you made an exaggerated size to his head-wings you could say he shapeshifted. XD

Another thing I'm uncertain about is Pyroduck as Sephiroth - maybe Dark Pegasus for that role? Dark Pegasus is more inherently malicious, whereas Pyroduck is a jovial fellow. Then again, I haven't played Final Fantasy VII in forever so I'm not very familiar with the characters - I do like Barret, though.

However, that's pedantic stuff. You have some awesome stuff in this thread, and like Ren said, you're improving very quickly. Just keep practicing; you show a lot of potential and perseverance in improving. :)

Especially with the hands - it's one of the hardest parts of the human (Furrae?) anatomy to draw. I don't think there's any particular tutorials that can guide someone through the steps, you just need to observe and practice. Once I got my mother to pose with her hand in a particular position so I could quickly draw it. Usually if you have a real-life example or picture, you can have a better understanding of how something should be. I usually look up things on Google Images for that purpose - such as what a person looks like from behind or a reference sheet of hand positions.

That's really all the advice I can offer, since it might universally apply to all parts of the anatomy. I'm not terribly good at practicing what I preach, unfortunately - largely because I'm still trying to shrug off a lot of my older habits and improve. I'm still an amateur. :<

Jairus

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on September 30, 2008, 12:41:21 PM
Quote from: Jairus on September 30, 2008, 10:44:46 AM

This is a bit pedantic, but I think you should probably reconsider the head-wings. While it's a very good idea, I don't think Abel's head-wings could bend all the way around his head unless he enlarged them, and even then, it might just cover the majority of his face. But then again, that's what Cubi metamorphosis is for... so if you made an exaggerated size to his head-wings you could say he shapeshifted. XD
Yeah, I have to agree with you. I'll figure it out after I've drawn his upper body.

My current method is probably one of the worst ways to draw someone: legs and hips, torso and arms, head. Any regular art teacher would probably hurt me.

Another thing I'm uncertain about is Pyroduck as Sephiroth - maybe Dark Pegasus for that role? Dark Pegasus is more inherently malicious, whereas Pyroduck is a jovial fellow. Then again, I haven't played Final Fantasy VII in forever so I'm not very familiar with the characters - I do like Barret, though.
True... it was either Pyroduck, Pegasus, or Fa'Lina, mainly because those are three mysterious characters who have three syllables so I can adapt "One Winged Angel" to fit them. I guess Pegasus would work, but we'll see when I get there. Whoever it ends up being, it'll be after the other six.

However, that's pedantic stuff. You have some awesome stuff in this thread, and like Ren said, you're improving very quickly. Just keep practicing; you show a lot of potential and perseverance in improving. :)

Especially with the hands - it's one of the hardest parts of the human (Furrae?) anatomy to draw. I don't think there's any particular tutorials that can guide someone through the steps, you just need to observe and practice. Once I got my mother to pose with her hand in a particular position so I could quickly draw it. Usually if you have a real-life example or picture, you can have a better understanding of how something should be. I usually look up things on Google Images for that purpose - such as what a person looks like from behind or a reference sheet of hand positions.

That's really all the advice I can offer, since it might universally apply to all parts of the anatomy. I'm not terribly good at practicing what I preach, unfortunately - largely because I'm still trying to shrug off a lot of my older habits and improve. I'm still an amateur. :<
Considering that aside from Jyrras this will be the first time I'm drawing any of them, this is a learning experience too. I actually tried to sketch my own hand holding a ruler to try and get Jy's hand down right. I'll try all of that, and now that I'm awake I think I can finish Abel sometime today. Maybe Fi Sith will be next. What should she/he be sitting on? Cait Sith sat on a giant stuffed Moogle, should Fi Sith sit on a giant stuffed gryphon?

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Jairus on September 30, 2008, 12:49:23 PM
Cait Sith sat on a giant stuffed Moogle, should Fi Sith sit on a giant stuffed gryphon?

Hey, leave Rover out of this!

Sunblink

True... it was either Pyroduck, Pegasus, or Fa'Lina, mainly because those are three mysterious characters who have three syllables so I can adapt "One Winged Angel" to fit them. I guess Pegasus would work, but we'll see when I get there. Whoever it ends up being, it'll be after the other six.

Like you said, don't worry about it until you get to it.

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on September 30, 2008, 12:41:21 PMMaybe Fi Sith will be next. What should she/he be sitting on? Cait Sith sat on a giant stuffed Moogle, should Fi Sith sit on a giant stuffed gryphon?

I recommend a giant stuffed Gryphon to allude to DMFA. >:3

Also, llearch, I see what you did there.

Jairus

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on September 30, 2008, 12:57:59 PM
Quote from: Jairus on September 30, 2008, 12:49:23 PMMaybe Fi Sith will be next. What should she/he be sitting on? Cait Sith sat on a giant stuffed Moogle, should Fi Sith sit on a giant stuffed gryphon?
I recommend a giant stuffed Gryphon to allude to DMFA. >:3
Agreed. Now I just need to figure out how to draw a Gryphon B or C...

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on September 30, 2008, 12:57:17 PM
Cait Sith sat on a giant stuffed Moogle, should Fi Sith sit on a giant stuffed gryphon?
Um... I don't get it. Clarification please?

Jairus

Okay... it's finally done.

Okay... this was a freaking nightmare. His outfit ended up being a hodgepodge of Abel's normal outfit, Vincent's FFVII outfit, and Vincent's FFVII:AC outfit. The gun he is holding is the Death Penalty, the most powerful of any of his guns in both games Vincent appears in: and yes, I cheated by only showing it from the top. The fingers on his left hand are supposed to be slightly curled inwards, but it doesn't show up that well unfortunately. The wings weren't too bad, but necessitated a redesign of Vincent's cloak, which is that thing around his neck. Really sorry for all of the smudges, but I ended up erasing and redrawing him all totaled about three times. He was not easy, but I do kind of like how his head came out.

No idea who to do next. Maybe Wildy Lockhart or Lorenda Wallace. Preferably someone a little simpler, but I get the feeling I'm not gonna get that.

On the plus side, I'm kind of glad that the costumes are becoming more and more my own design rather than an adapted-for-size/shape version of the original ones.

EDIT: Fixed his cheeks: they were too fat.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Jairus on September 30, 2008, 01:00:06 PM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on September 30, 2008, 12:57:17 PM
Um… I don't get it. Clarification please?

In one of the RP's - Cogidubnus' "Mad God's Masque and Masquerade Ball" - I have a Gryphon C named Rover as my character. Well... one of my characters. He's not very bright, and needs a keeper to intercede and stop him from eating rocks. Or attempting to flirt with them, if they're particularly sexy.

Of course, the possibility exists that he's actually a lot smarter than the folks around him, and he's merely playing at being an idiot because it gives him a chance to have fun...

Jairus

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 01, 2008, 12:41:20 AM
In one of the RP's - Cogidubnus' "Mad God's Masque and Masquerade Ball" - I have a Gryphon C named Rover as my character. Well... one of my characters. He's not very bright, and needs a keeper to intercede and stop him from eating rocks. Or attempting to flirt with them, if they're particularly sexy.

Of course, the possibility exists that he's actually a lot smarter than the folks around him, and he's merely playing at being an idiot because it gives him a chance to have fun...

Always a possibility. Sounds like a fun character, though I can't imagine how you keep him from accidentally destroying something.

When I eventually draw Fi Sith's stuffed gryphon, may I call it Rover, Boxy? Or would you prefer another name.

llearch n'n'daCorna

You may call it what you wish. I will reserve the right to say "it's a different Rover", though, until after I see the end result.

... I do recommend you go and read the posts in the appropriate IC thread, though. Rover is... an acquired taste, and mere summaries do not supply his full flavour.

Jairus

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 01, 2008, 12:52:19 AM
You may call it what you wish. I will reserve the right to say "it's a different Rover", though, until after I see the end result.

... I do recommend you go and read the posts in the appropriate IC thread, though. Rover is... an acquired taste, and mere summaries do not supply his full flavour.
To be fair, it would look just like a big stuffed gryphon with a tag saying "Rover" on its collar. Something like this, really. Not a specific character.

Any comments on Abel, out of curiosity?

llearch n'n'daCorna

Janus Whitefurr

Oooh! Ooooh! I nominate myself for the position of Rufus "Affably Young And Evil" Shinra! (not that this is a request, but what can I say.)

Abel/Vincent is an interesting one. At least they have the same terribly tortured background! (And at least Aniz is a more sane name for a true father than... ahem.. Grimoire Valentine. Damn you, Dirge of Cerberus!)