RP Forum Specific Rules (UPDATED 11/9/07)

Started by Damaris, January 06, 2007, 12:36:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Damaris

*  All posts are On Topic (ie, in character, in the flow of the game), unless they:
          o Specifically say "Out of Character", "OOC", "OC", or the like.
          o In a topic designed to be out of character (like discussions about the game at      hand, etc.).

* Do not play as your character outside of the RP forum.

* Follow the rules of the game. Do not power game or rule whore. Don't bitch if the rules don't go your way.

* If you don't like a game, play a different one (or not at all). Don't ruin the threads for others.

* Do not remove your posts from a game. The games are built on the previous posts, and removing posts from a game can ruin the entire topic.  This is a bannable offense.

* Games must be all inclusive and may not segregate. They must have open periods from time to time (when feasible for the story -- at least 1 real-time week, spaced apart no more than three months at a time), and must allow anyone to join that would like to, regardless of character type (within reason- yes, we understand that a megaman character will probably not work in medieval Europe.  Although imagine the props a GM would get if he did manage that).  (In-progress games have until March 5, 2007 to adjust for this rule.  Please PM Darkmoon if you have any questions, or need any help with this.)

*Please Note:  The administration is instituting an automatic program to lock threads older than two months.  This will be utilized in all areas of the forum.  If you find a thread has been automatically locked in this forum that you continue to need, please politely PM one of the admins or mods to have it unlocked.  Rude requests and tantrums will be ignored.

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

Arcalane

Edited out as per Damaris' request.

Darkmoon

We agree that there are times where it isn't convienient to add new characters. This is why we state that games can be closed for up to 2 months. If by that point you can't find a way to direct the characters into a situation where they can get new people, you're going to need to discuss that with the admins. We're trying to avoid hurt feelings from people because "all the good games are always closed," etc, etc.

I recieved this PM, and I figured I'd answer it here, since it helps to elaborate on the rules a smidge.

QuoteIf mods play in a game and they say something happens, game-wise that is, does that over rule the actual storyteller, game system or in-game situation?

You state there is no segregation, however, history has taught me that some people are undesirable in a game because of play-style, ire or general incompatibility with certain personalities, can these people be excluded or declined?

There is an absolute limit to the number of players that a person can accommodate, based on individual of course.  Keeping that in mind, the rule that an RP must open its doors at least every two months and must accept everyone is rather steep.  After a time, a game may become unwieldy.

Dam mentions no powergaming, what if it is a power game?  (say a DBZ RPG)

Any character must be accepted regardless of type, do we no longer have any control over our own games?

As with above, if I wanted to run a historical Roman adventure, can I omit furries and enforce only humans?  Conversely, can I prevent humans if I am running a furry parallel universe?

Everything is within reason. We agree that when running a historical game, you don't want robots. When running an actual, factual game based on the Roman Empire, I can see reasoning for there to be no furries, but, on that same note, I don't think there are a lot of people that will be able to bring in their normal characters into a factual Roman game.

No power gaming is directed at the people that power game to the point of ruining the flow of the game. Obviously, in a DBZ game, what would be considered "Power Gaming" would be different from other games.

As for game runners only being able to handle so many people, well... the only person that can tell us they've reached that limit is themselves. They'll let us know if things are getting out of control.

As with all situations and all rules, the standard forum rules still apply. If at any point there are complaints or concerns, the involved parties can PM the admins and we'll evaluate the situation.

Oh, and in the case of an admin playing in a game trying to over-rule the game, that won't happen. Their job is to say whether the content violates rules or not. Their job is not to say that they don't like where the story is going because their Ogre Barbarian didn't get his Power Axe. All admin decisions are based on a majority rule of the admins, and no one has the power to totally derail a thread all on their own.
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

KarlOmega1

Question about the Non-segregation rule...does that include age restrictions?
I'm a Skype User.
Skype Name: Karaius

Damaris

Karl-

Right now the rating restriction on this forum is PG-13, so the content of the games themselves should not keep any player out of the game.  However, if the RP players, or a particular GM petitions the admins and is approved for a mature game, I would say that segregation based on age would be appropriate.

Thank you, Karl (and the mystery PM-er), for your thoughtful concerns.  Please let us know if they have not been addressed completely, or if they have raised other questions.

Sheridan-

Was redundant color commentary on the rules particularly necessary?  This thread is kept open for questions, not for forum members to write their own addendums.  Please feel free to PM your thoughts to Darkmoon directly, as he is more "hip" with RPing than I, and will be making necessary adjustments to the rules.  I would appreciate if you would edit your post after you finish C&P it, as I do not want confused forum members thinking those are "the last word" from the moderation staff.

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

Darkmoon

More good questions:

QuoteIf I was to receive a character submission for a game during the recruitment phase and I find it to be lacking in thoughtfulness, detail or seemingly incompatible with the game, do I need to have admin approval to decline the character?

This wasn't mentioned, but I thought I might ask, do we need to submit an idea for a new RP for approval first or just those games that need special consideration or dispensation?

As the game runner, if you aren't happy with someone's submission, it's your perogative to tell them if they can't use that character (yet) and why. In these case, we would appreicate you taking the effort of trying to help them get the character (or some character) up to speed, and not just saying "no, you suck, so you can't play."

As far as new RPs, whether they are ones that need special requirements or not, you are free to set them up. Be aware, though, that outside of story requirements or mature themes, we do not like segregated RPs at all (thus the rule). As an example, there has to be a damn good reason why every character must be a furry other than "hyoomans are lame".

Azlan

Quote from: Darkmoon on January 06, 2007, 05:44:10 PM

As far as new RPs, whether they are ones that need special requirements or not, you are free to set them up. Be aware, though, that outside of story requirements or mature themes, we do not like segregated RPs at all (thus the rule). As an example, there has to be a damn good reason why every character must be a furry other than "hyoomans are lame".

So if it is themed to where humans did not develop, or are the hidden enemy (and should not be played for campaign reasons), then it would be reasonable to not have them.  I don't really forsee this type of situation, but I thought it good to check.
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

Darkmoon

I think it's reasonable... although if someone really want to play an enemy human, and comes up with a good character for it, we'd appreciate you at least thinking about it.

Azlan

If it were possible and a good concept then indeed I would.  It requires a good mix of players though.

Darkmoon

Manawolf

I love giving my players plenty of options.  Heck, if you got a good reason why that half-fiend isn't simply going around corrupting souls or rending entrails (I believe ones alignment is based on their upbringing, not on who they are), then They could be of the good alignment.  Obviously, some races simply have no choice in the matter.  The process that makes devils and demons what they are is completely evil in nature, and the only chance of them being good is through powerful intervention (and know, you can't simply say he was sanctified, but got to keep all his powers).

I'm flexible, but you can only do some much before they break.

Also, contrary to popularity generated by the comic, there is no chance of you getting to play that cubi character you created as a fan of the comic and now want to take to an RP.  Maybe a villain, but I for one loathe PvP.

Azlan

Quote from: Darkmoon on January 07, 2007, 12:26:00 AM
That's all we ask.

I always entertain everything, but my jaded, overly cynical self tends to see the bad before the good.     

Edit:
I had to smite you for being civil... it's uncanny and wierd.

Darkmoon

DigitalMan

Oh good, someone already brought up the power-gaming issue. And it is so nice that removing posts is officially not allowed. But I still don't think it's fair to force RPs to let in types of characters that would be illogical. I suppose that's what GameFaqs and other boards are useful for, though.

Now here's a question, what happens if someone decides to break these rules, or RP-specific rules? Like trying to start a fight where violence is not allowed, how can the GM boot people like that from the RP?

Gareeku

I guess one way would be to report it to the admins, then if the offending player persists then the threat of a ban can be used.

Arcalane

Quote from: Damaris on January 06, 2007, 02:05:58 PMSheridan-

Was redundant color commentary on the rules particularly necessary?  This thread is kept open for questions, not for forum members to write their own addendums.  Please feel free to PM your thoughts to Darkmoon directly, as he is more "hip" with RPing than I, and will be making necessary adjustments to the rules.  I would appreciate if you would edit your post after you finish C&P it, as I do not want confused forum members thinking those are "the last word" from the moderation staff.

Done and done.  :)

~~

If the offending player persists or attempts to be violent in a non-violent area, just stick within the RP setting if you can. If you're not supposed to be violent because there's a big police force who'll come bust your ass up, then have said police force come bust their ass up. If it's because there's a field or some implants that suppress[es] violent impulses then have them hauled away by the cops and medical staff to have their implant checked on and some sedatives applied.

If they persist then, or if you're not going to mess around, just call in an admin.

Damaris

It is possible to ban a person from the RP forum without banning them from everywhere else.  If a person becomes such a huge problem that they need to be expelled from the entire subsection, we can take a look at doing that.

Digitalman- I do believe Darkmoon said there would be some flexibility on that.  We're asking that DMs try to be a bit inclusive when they're making their plans.

And just because we're requiring a time for open enrollment does not mean that you can't tell someone they can't play because they're being a ponce.  However, please make sure they're really being a ponce before resorting to that.

Darkmoon

Some clarification:

Out of Character: Standard short hand is (OOC) or [OOC]. Most DMs will not have a problem with OOC comments in threads. Make sure all your OOC comments are marked as such.

Speaking of, though, the OOC thread are there for major discussion. If you need to do more than make a quick, out of game, comment, then go to the OOC thread. On the flip, don't sit in the OOC threads and treat them like lounges. If you want to just randomly talk, go do it in the General Discussion forum

On the subject of editing posts, refrain if it is not the most recent post available. You cannot travel through time to fix past mistakes (unless it's in the current thread, and then you'll be doing in through new posts, not old ones), and the changes will probably either not be noticed, or earn you a sharp slap on the wrist in karmic terms.

It's okay to modify you posts if they have not yet been responded to, but going back and editing a conversation is very no. You could, for example, request something simple from a superior (such as a loo break) and if they reply affirmatively, you could go back and edit the post to something more important, like an entire year's worth of holiday.

For those of you looking to join a game that's currently closed, if it's closed, you can't join until it's open, and, unless the DM says you can just ad new characters at your leisure, you need to run your character past the DM for approval and introduction. It's his game, and his prerogative how it's run.

In other word, don't just barge into a closed game and expect people to like it, want you there, or that you won't get banned for it.

And remember, follow the generals rules of the forum just like you would anywhere else. One fact that was mentioned to me was for those members for whom English is not your primary language, it is your responsibility to try and write cohesively when posting in the RPs. You have to be able to tell your story to be able to play. Do your best, and try not to get upset if people have a hard time understanding you.

Special thanks to Sheridan for these suggestions.

Damaris

Please remember that March 5th is the deadline for implementing rolling open signups in closed RPs.  It's only about a month away, so you might want to start planning now!

Damaris

19 days until open sign ups.  Please let Darkmoon know when you are planning on opening the signups.  We don't want to leave your players in limbo if you fail to meet the deadline for detailing your plans.

Ryudo Lee

I notice this wasn't covered in the original post, so I'm going to ask right out...

What can be done about people using OOC information that hasn't been explicitly portrayed IC'ly (otherwise known as metagaming)?

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

Azlan

Metagaming should and has always been prohibited in any and all RPs throughout history.  Specific sanctions and penalties are levied by the RPGA and many "professional" gaming associations.  I imagine that the issue would be the same here, but ultimately the moderation staff will elaborate on their viewpoint.

Damaris

Bap them verbally, and if they continue, let us know so we can ban them from the RP forum.  We'll be more than happy to make a group that "shuns" people from the RP forum if it becomes necessary, and is requested by a GM.

Manawolf

Tip on how to cut down on metagaming, if one player has their character all alone from the rest of the group, continue their exploits over PMs with the GM, so people can't suddenly bust in on what that player is doing by themselves.

Damaris

Just a reminder that March 5th (Monday) is the deadline for opening any closed RPs for signups.  Please PM Darkmoon if you're not going to make it, so we don't have to go through the ick of locking your thread. 

*edit* Please note that I've extended the amount of time in between to three months, and added a list at the end so you and others can keep track

Azlan

How long do the RPs need to remain open?

Is there any specific minimum time period?

llearch n'n'daCorna

At least 1 real-time week, it says.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Gareeku

I suggest that GMs also have the option of being able to kick people out of the RP. I'm saying this because some members who have joined my RP in the time it was open to sign ups have made one or two posts and have now just disappeared off of the face of the Earth.

Kitsune Ascendant

Any chance I could get a suspension of the thread necromancy rule for my ooc/rp information topic? It's not getting much actual ooc posts, but I was using it for chapter summaries and character bios so that they don't clutter up the main topic so much. Alternatives are also welcome.
I may be a bit young to be worrying about it so much, but I'm not changing this sig until I find true love.
yappities by silverfoxr, and are awesome.  Thanks!

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears