Firefox 2.0

Started by Supercheese, October 26, 2006, 08:35:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Supercheese

Just downloaded the new, shiny Firefox and it looks very shnazzy. However, it did one thing that made me go "WTF?!" - but not in a bad way.

Apparently, it checks your spelling for you as you type. Like, in one of these little post box thingies. It doesn't like "thingies", or "WTF". But, just like MS Word, you can right-click for spelling suggestions and "add to dictionary" and whatnot.

I must say, that is rather awesome. The upgrade only made one of my addons incompatible, and it wasn't a critical one anyways.

Hmm, maybe I should stop making new topics. Then again, I've basically never made one 'til recently, so maybe I'll just use up my "quota" all at once...

...ack, I pressed backspace and it went "back" on my browser!  :< Thankfully, when going "forward" again, Firefox saves the text you've typed in the post box. Ah, Firefox - what would I do without you?

Hmm, this kinda sounds overly fanboi-ish...

Azlan

Quote from: Supercheese on October 26, 2006, 08:35:10 PM
Ah, Firefox - what would I do without you?

Learn to like Safari...?
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

Supercheese

Quote from: Azlan on October 26, 2006, 08:38:52 PM
Learn to like Safari...?

Hmm, perhaps. Hence the tiny text at the bottom.

Aridas

Quote from: Supercheese on October 26, 2006, 08:35:10 PM
...ack, I pressed backspace and it went "back" on my browser! :< Thankfully, when going "forward" again, Firefox saves the text you've typed in the post box.
So does nearly every other browser out there. OLD.

Supercheese

Meh, that was included in the post based on situation, not original intent...

Aridas

You included it on the same paragraph as you worshipped firefox on. Therefore...

Supercheese

*shrug* It is what it is.

Sid

I'll upgrade to 2.0 soon enough... kinda shying away from it at the moment since 1.5 is still doing a good job and because I'm too lazy to hunt down my extensions again right now.

Recently stumbled over a quite helpful site that lists a few tweaks, maybe somebody can use some of them: Clicky here
:boogie

Damaris

I like to wait quite a while before upgrade software as well.  Mostly, it's so that other people can break, and summarily fix it before I get my creepy little hands on it.

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

Darkmoon

2.0 has been betaed for a while, so most all the bugs are fixed by now. Hoewver, I'm waiting for a while before updating because most of the exntensions I like to use haven't converted over to 2.0 yet. Once they do, I'm game.
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

Creativity

I just updated, it seems interesting. Wondering whats so special D:

OMG RED LINES UNDER OMG

sweeeeeeeeett....

Jack McSlay

for now I've been doing fine with netscape 8, which seems more like a firefox with extensions that remembers NS7 but great anyways.

I've never went around hunting for extensions. just plain firefox is good enoughalready. and yes FF2 is very nice too
Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to resume.

Tapewolf

Konqueror has the spellcheck thing already, although it will be nice to have it at work in Windows as well.  Doesn't Safari have this too?

I have upgraded Firefox at home and so far so good, but it doesn't fix the problem where it locks up for a minute or so when saving things and doubles the lockup time for each save.  No-one else seems to have that happen so I'll be sticking with Konqueror for a bit longer, by the looks.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

bill

It still has nasty start-up times for me, but I'm still sticking with it.

Gabi

Konqueror is incompatible with some of the most popular sites... like Yahoo. Not my choice for a browser.

I may upgrade my Firefox eventually, but not yet. Does 2.0 have any advantages over 1.5? Spellcheck is not a good thing for me: first of all, it's unreliable; and second, I type in 2 different languages and use some words that are in neither, like proper names, pokemon names, etc. So I would have to deactivate it for it to stop bothering me. And having the browser go back when you're trying to erase something you wrote is too annoying, I hope it can be switched off too.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Aridas

Actually, backspace usually defaults as the back button when you don't have it focused on a text box in most browsers.. so I'd imagine that one was a mistake on his part.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Gabi on October 27, 2006, 06:41:14 AM
I may upgrade my Firefox eventually, but not yet. Does 2.0 have any advantages over 1.5? Spellcheck is not a good thing for me: first of all, it's unreliable; and second, I type in 2 different languages and use some words that are in neither, like proper names, pokemon names, etc. So I would have to deactivate it for it to stop bothering me.

It seems to be just a passive beast that underlines words in red, so you can ignore it for words like 'Konqueror' and 'Firefox' which it doesn't know.  It also looks like you can switch languages on the fly by right-clicking.

And no, Konqueror doesn't work on everything, which is why I keep Firefox as a standby, but it's pretty good - I only usually need to switch to it for Youtube, online banking and such.  I don't remember any problems with Yahoo.

Gabi

Maybe they fixed it recently, but when I tried to use Yahoo Mail on Konqueror, it was all messed up.

Anyway, my question still stands: is there anything good about Firefox 2.0?

Vidar

Quote from: Gabi on October 27, 2006, 07:24:44 AMAnyway, my question still stands: is there anything good about Firefox 2.0?

It's better then IE. Everything is.

Also I hear it has a (slightly) smaller memory footprint then FF1.5, and should also be a bit more stable on some systems (though FF1.5 never crashed for me anyway)

I haven't used FF2.0 yet, so all I know is what the release notes (link).
\^.^/ \O.O/ \¬.¬/ \O.^/ \o.o/ \-.-/' \O.o/ \0.0/ \>.</

xHaZxMaTx

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 27, 2006, 07:02:55 AM
It seems to be just a passive beast that underlines words in red, so you can ignore it for words like 'Firefox' which it doesn't know.
This reminds of Netscape's homepage.  Using the netscape browser, it blocks it's own pop-up. :lol:

Gabi

Resuming your browsing session... that sounds good. But some of the other things can be annoying. I'll think about it.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Gabi on October 27, 2006, 10:15:53 AM
Resuming your browsing session... that sounds good. But some of the other things can be annoying. I'll think about it.

Copy-and-Paste does not work in the Windows version (!).  I'll have to try it on Linux tonight since I don't think I tried that.

Darkmoon

Most all of the added functionality was already available in extensions. However, there are additional security features implemented that make Firefox more secure, and those can only be had by updating.

As I said, I'm only waiting a couple of weeks until all my extensions are compatible. When I tried updating at work, more than half the extensions I liked didn't work.

Supercheese

Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on October 27, 2006, 06:58:27 AM
Actually, backspace usually defaults as the back button when you don't have it focused on a text box in most browsers.. so I'd imagine that one was a mistake on his part.

Yeah, it was. Note to self: remap that stupid key...

Quote from: Darkmoon on October 27, 2006, 11:45:11 AM
Most all of the added functionality was already available in extensions. However, there are additional security features implemented that make Firefox more secure, and those can only be had by updating.

As I said, I'm only waiting a couple of weeks until all my extensions are compatible. When I tried updating at work, more than half the extensions I liked didn't work.

Yikes, you must be using a lot of extensions! The only one I was using that hadn't updated to 2.0 was Fasterfox. TabMix Plus (which had already implemented session restoration/crash recovery in 1.5) has a "still in development" version compatible with 2.0.

Darkmoon

I tried installing the TabMix one, and it wouldn't work in Firefox 2.0 once I installed it. Very aggrivating.

Supercheese

Quote from: Darkmoon on October 27, 2006, 05:38:13 PM
I tried installing the TabMix one, and it wouldn't work in Firefox 2.0 once I installed it. Very aggrivating.

Really? Odd. Worked on all three of my machines I upgraded. TabMix also had the "close tab" button (on each tab) in 1.5.

EDIT: Oh yeah, they also had the "individual progress bar per tab" thing. Wow, I guess it really would suck to have a critical extension not be compatible.

Darkmoon

There were a few, as I said. I'm so used to how my Firefox works right now, I just can't easily switch.

JousterL

I'm going to wait a little while. Unfortunately, an extension I depend on doesn't look like it's ever going to be updated for 2.0 (People keep claiming you can do what the extension does natively in 2.0, but I haven't found the option). SessionSaver.

I have a session with my 30+ comics I check. I can just click that, right-click the first tab, reload all tabs, and then go through all my Internet comics, instead of having to sit there and type out each and every one.

Until I see this defined natively (and easy to find), or they upgrade the extension, I'm sticking with 1.5.0.7.

Tapewolf

Quote from: JousterL on November 02, 2006, 01:59:35 PM
I'm going to wait a little while. Unfortunately, an extension I depend on doesn't look like it's ever going to be updated for 2.0 (People keep claiming you can do what the extension does natively in 2.0, but I haven't found the option). SessionSaver.

I could be wrong, but I think the full session restore only happens when it does a crash recovery.

JousterL

Ah... see, that's another thing. I don't intend to start invoking crashes intentionally so I can load my comics up in the morning. XD