Dragon Scale Clothing

Started by SolarWings, February 16, 2014, 07:19:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SolarWings

Would this have any special properties other than letting everyone know you're a suicidal show-off? Such as giving a bit of the dragon's strength to the wearer in the form of resistances to certain magics?
o3o Iunno.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Well, it might attract other dragons to take your head, I'd guess.

On the other hand, it might suggest that you're friends with a dragon. After all, if they shed scales every so often, it wouldn't be hard to collect the shed ones and make an outfit out of that...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Lorien077

I can't think of a reason it'd confer any magical properties (but I don't know DMFA dragons very well) but I'd imagine it'd at least be really durable, maybe good for armor?  Like scale-mail?
You have my permission not to love me; I am a cathedral of deadbolts and I'd rather burn myself down than change the locks.

My scribbles: http://lorien077.deviantart.com/

llearch n'n'daCorna

Of course, the other option for reading this is "dragon-scale clothing", in which case, it wouldn't fit very well.

Unless you were a dragon, of course.

meltingface101

Magic  was  stated  to  rely  on  the  soul , unless  the  soul  of  the  Dragon  itself  is  bound  it's  just  a  nice  looking  jacket .
Though  I  think  it  might  be  possible  to  get  it  to  use  the  magic  of  its  host .

I  don't  think  it  would  work  however  otherwise  you  get  things  like  cities  making  a  living  by  constantly  harvesting  the  hides  of  such  creatures  given  all  of  the  other  abilities . 
All  things  float  down  here

Tapewolf

Quote from: meltingface101 on February 17, 2014, 06:26:06 PM
Magic  was  stated  to  rely  on  the  soul , unless  the  soul  of  the  Dragon  itself  is  bound  it's  just  a  nice  looking  jacket .
Though  I  think  it  might  be  possible  to  get  it  to  use  the  magic  of  its  host .

Spells are, but innate magic may or may not be.  A lump of metal in Furrae still contains magic unless it's specially refined and as far as we know that doesn't rely on the metal having a soul.  Taking that further, it's possible that dragonskin could remain tough after death because the magic inside its atoms is still configured that way.  Though assuming it did remain invulnerable, how you'd get it off the dragon in the first place is another matter.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

LionHeart

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on February 17, 2014, 11:52:57 AM
Of course, the other option for reading this is "dragon-scale clothing", in which case, it wouldn't fit very well.

Unless you were a dragon, of course.
I must admit, I wondered which option was intended when I saw the title of this thread...
"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

Grey Wolf

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 17, 2014, 06:48:36 PM
Though assuming it did remain invulnerable, how you'd get it off the dragon in the first place is another matter.

The same way one get's cat-grease?
Warning: This forum goer is prone to bouts of logic, and has a dry sense of humor.

meltingface101

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 17, 2014, 06:48:36 PM
Quote from: meltingface101 on February 17, 2014, 06:26:06 PM
Magic  was  stated  to  rely  on  the  soul , unless  the  soul  of  the  Dragon  itself  is  bound  it's  just  a  nice  looking  jacket .
Though  I  think  it  might  be  possible  to  get  it  to  use  the  magic  of  its  host .

Spells are, but innate magic may or may not be.  A lump of metal in Furrae still contains magic unless it's specially refined and as far as we know that doesn't rely on the metal having a soul.  Taking that further, it's possible that dragonskin could remain tough after death because the magic inside its atoms is still configured that way.  Though assuming it did remain invulnerable, how you'd get it off the dragon in the first place is another matter.

Considering  how  every  magic  item  we  have  seen  so  far  rely  upon  a  being , or  a  disembodied  soul  providing  power , I  don't  think  a  being  or  any  creature  short  of  another  dragon  would  get  anything  out  of  such  a  practice  due  to  the  constant  power  requirements .

Otherwise  they  could  just  constantly  carve  chunks  out  of  a  sedated  Dragon , wait  for  it  to  regenerate . Then  rinse , wash , repeat  .

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: meltingface101 on February 18, 2014, 11:00:01 AM
Considering  how  every  magic  item  we  have  seen  so  far  rely  upon  a  being , or  a  disembodied  soul  providing  power , I  don't  think  a  being  or  any  creature  short  of  another  dragon  would  get  anything  out  of  such  a  practice  due  to  the  constant  power  requirements .

Otherwise  they  could  just  constantly  carve  chunks  out  of  a  sedated  Dragon , wait  for  it  to  regenerate . Then  rinse , wash , repeat  .

I do believe you're, once again, misunderstanding the world that Ambaaargh has created, in order to argue a point that would otherwise be invalid.

For starters: how would you sedate the dragon, given the medical profession limits sedation to magic-only methods, which would be of little use on something as magic-resistant as your intended target?

meltingface101

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on February 18, 2014, 01:23:39 PM
Quote from: meltingface101 on February 18, 2014, 11:00:01 AM
Considering  how  every  magic  item  we  have  seen  so  far  rely  upon  a  being , or  a  disembodied  soul  providing  power , I  don't  think  a  being  or  any  creature  short  of  another  dragon  would  get  anything  out  of  such  a  practice  due  to  the  constant  power  requirements .

Otherwise  they  could  just  constantly  carve  chunks  out  of  a  sedated  Dragon , wait  for  it  to  regenerate . Then  rinse , wash , repeat  .

I do believe you're, once again, misunderstanding the world that Ambaaargh has created, in order to argue a point that would otherwise be invalid.

For starters: how would you sedate the dragon, given the medical profession limits sedation to magic-only methods, which would be of little use on something as magic-resistant as your intended target?

Boy you  people  hate  me  a  lot , Anyways  I'm  sure  the  chloroform  will  pay  for  itself  after  a  while  if  there  was  any  demand . http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_879.php  

Either  way  creatures  tend  to  lose  their  natural  abilities  when  they are  killed  or  turned  undead . Logically  the  skin  would  suffer  the  same  effect .

I don't  understand  why  you  in  particular  care  about  this detail

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: meltingface101 on February 18, 2014, 01:38:59 PM
Boy you  people  hate  me  a  lot , Anyways  I'm  sure  the  chloroform  will  pay  for  itself  after  a  while  if  there  was  any  demand . http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_879.php  

I don't hate you at all. And that chloroform isn't aimed for use on dragons.

Either  way  creatures  tend  to  lose  their  natural  abilities  when  they are  killed  or  turned  undead . Logically  the  skin  would  suffer  the  same  effect .

I don't  understand  why  you  in  particular  care  about  this detail

"Logical" and "Furrae" don't necessarily mix.

As for why I care? You're posting on a forum. Everyone on the forum is welcome to respond with their thoughts. Why shouldn't I do the same?

Mao

Boy you  people  hate  me  a  lot

I tend to not be very active these days, but I think I'm going to chime in here in response to this one a bit.

I'm going to preface this all by saying that you seem like a pretty serious, and intelligent fan of Mab's work.  I honestly believe that you are deeply invested in it and probably quite doggedly interested in it, otherwise you wouldn't post as much and in as detailed of a manner as you do.

The issue to me, it seems is that your posts come off to most as being incredibly negative, critical and at times condescending towards other posters and towards Mab's work.  It's as though you don't post here because you enjoy the work or people, so much as you post here because you enjoy tearing into them.  That's what I've gleaned from just going back and reading your posts here and there and bit just now.  Maybe it is the case that you don't actually enjoy the comic as it is.  I don't know, honestly, because I don't know you.  Neither does anyone else here, really.  The only common thread the folks in the Lost Lake Inn really have is a love for Mab's work, so when they see someone who seems to not have that same thread it's very likely they're going to respond negatively to them.

I'm not saying that you should change or anything of the sort, but understand that if you post in a manner that folks perceive as being negative then you should expect that they'll respond in kind.  Beyond that, your posting quirk of double spacing everything you post (and stubborn refusal to change it) has been called out by others as being annoying.  You're intentionally annoying people and then acting like it's surprising that they don't seem to like you.

joshofspam

I'd have to side with Tape for the most part of the jacket. It would make sense that scales removed from the dragon might lose some of it's magical properties from being removed from the dragon. But for the most part, would naturally be embedded with some of it's magical properties.

Now it is open for debate will the scales be gradually dulled down over time and become ordinary scales or will magic constantly used against it  harden the bonds between magicl energy particles and the dead flesh. But it seems possible that the jacket of dragon scales might carry over immunity for some time.

Considering Large Gryphons and Dragons probably have a good percentage of magical immunity in their parts. In fact, I wouldn't be surprise if the being Gryphons and Dragons make a good bit of money selling hair, claw, feathers and scales for suppliers of Adventurer gear. If you can supply it they will buy it and dragons have to start the hoard somewhere. >:3
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

meltingface101

Quote from: Mao on February 18, 2014, 04:29:49 PM
Boy you  people  hate  me  a  lot

I tend to not be very active these days, but I think I'm going to chime in here in response to this one a bit.

I'm going to preface this all by saying that you seem like a pretty serious, and intelligent fan of Mab's work.  I honestly believe that you are deeply interested in it and probably quite doggedly interested in it, otherwise you wouldn't post as much and in as detailed of a manner as you do.

The issue to me, it seems is that your posts come off to most as being incredibly negative, critical and at times condescending towards other posters and towards Mab's work.  It's as though you don't post here because you enjoy the work or people, so much as you post here because you enjoy tearing into them.  That's what I've gleaned from just going back and reading your posts here and there and bit just now.  Maybe it is the case that you don't actually enjoy the comic as it is.  I don't know, honestly, because I don't know you.  Neither does anyone else here, really.  The only common thread the folks in the Lost Lake Inn really have is a love for Mab's work, so when they see someone who seems to not have that same thread it's very likely they're going to respond negatively to them.

I'm not saying that you should change or anything of the sort, but understand that if you post in a manner that folks perceive as being negative then you should expect that they'll respond in kind.  Beyond that, your posting quirk of double spacing everything you post (and stubborn refusal to change it) has been called out by others as being annoying.  You're intentionally annoying people and then acting like it's surprising that they don't seem to like you.

I  fail  to  see  how  I  come  off  as  serious in  any  shape  or  form . I  was  always  under  the  impression  that  people  avoided  my  post  due  to  the  fact  they  sound  utterly  retarded . Indeed  I  admit  that  I  can  come  off  as  negative  but  that  generally  that's  what  happens  in  debates  and  discussions . I  became  interested  in  the  comic  due  to  the  setting .It  is  much  like  D&D  but  the  effects  magic  on  society seem  a  bit  more  thought  out . Perhaps I  could  PM  you  to  discuss  further  how  I  have  deviated  from  standard  forum  conduct , if  it  is  not  to  much  trouble ?

Also  Dragons  always  struck  me  as  the  type  of  creature  to  proud  to  let  others  handle , let  alone  keep  discarded  body  parts  that  have  even  a  remote  chance  of  conferring  their  abilities  to  others . Especially  given  their  rather  dim  views  on  other  races .    

joshofspam

Quote from: meltingface101 on February 18, 2014, 08:07:03 PM
Also  Dragons  always  struck  me  as  the  type  of  creature  to  proud  to  let  others  handle , let  alone  keep  discarded  body  parts  that  have  even  a  remote  chance  of  conferring  their  abilities  to  others . Especially  given  their  rather  dim  views  on  other  races .    
Hmmmmmmm...Well generally I'd say your painting the dragons with a rather broad brush. Not that it's a totally bad thing. We've only had a few dragons show up and Destania has generally painted such a dark and twisted view of them.

From what we've seen, dragons don't seem much different then any other race in Furrae in the aspect that  while a race may have certain personality quirks describe from the demonology page, they work themselves through in different and surprising ways. We have Ducky, the Amazon sister, Ducky's father and Balorie mentioned in the demonology page.

It would seem unlikely all Dragons hold any death wish against the cubi's. Just like that also it would seem unlikely all dragons would be so wrapped up in dragon pride not to relies if their scales and claws might have potential for making special equipment, then they might have the makings for a lucrative trade item and cash in on it.

In fact, considering how dangerous Dragons can be, dragons can probably work deals quite well in their favor.

Of coarse saying that I get images of girl scouts coming to the door and trying to get Ducky to pay for an entire flatbed of cookies for a lock of hair. :B
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Darkmoon

Perhaps I  could  PM  you  to  discuss  further  how  I  have  deviated  from  standard  forum  conduct , if  it  is  not  to  much  trouble ?

Stop double-spacing after every word! That would help so freaking much.
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Darkmoon on February 18, 2014, 11:43:39 PM
Perhaps I  could  PM  you  to  discuss  further  how  I  have  deviated  from  standard  forum  conduct , if  it  is  not  to  much  trouble ?

Stop double-spacing after every word! That would help so freaking much.

... particularly erroneous when done _before_ the fullstop, rather than just after it. But I've mentioned that before.

Mao

Most anyone is welcome to PM me at any time about any topic (and if you're lucky and I'm having a good day, I may even respond!  Possibly even nicely!), but I don't think that anything beyond what I've said already can help.  I think that just having this conversation out here in public like this will help as it is.  It gives people a bit of insight into your side of things (lets us know you some) and expresses what some folks here seem to be thinking (lets you know us some).

Though if I could harp on this point one last time:  the spacing thing.  I don't know why you do it (and maybe it might help if I did), nor do I really care much beyond finding it annoying to read as well.  However, if you won't take the effort to correct that then don't be surprised when people in turn won't put effort into fair reading and consideration of your posts.  It's a tit-for-tat thing.

Darkmoon

In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

llearch n'n'daCorna