The end of my quest is near

Started by Gabi, July 02, 2012, 01:47:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amber Williams

Yay! I'm really glad that you got to try some tacos and that they were enjoyable to eat!  Those pics look delish!  :3

I shall make it a point to bring along the crispy shells for you next AC so you too can experience the joy of opening the package to most all of them being broken.  :U

.....man. Now I want tacos.  :eager

Mao

Ignuus66

(credit: Gabi)

Gabi

Tacos are good... I agree now that I have an idea of what they taste like.

Here's the new version!

Now with lime, jalapeƱos and cheddar cheese.

Thanks again, Amber! :)
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Darkmoon

They're somewhat smaller than a bell pepper (pointier too), with a mildly spicy flavor. Maybe something in your area would be a good substitute.
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

Brunhidden

savor the awesome experience that is cheddar
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Gabi

Er... thanks, but, while it wasn't bad, there are many cheeses I like better than cheddar. It makes an interesting combination with the tacos, though.

And I've tried better cheddars than this one too. >.>

Brunhidden

all the more reason to keep experimenting- if cheddar isnt your thing try monaray jack, or muenster, or if you tried mild cheddar try sharp cheddar next time. if its the sause try mixing up the ingredients, find what seems to be missing. eventually you may have a taco that is your favorite, and share the recipe with others.

justacritic

Quote from: Gabi on August 01, 2012, 02:54:56 PM

And yes, I know about what hunger can do. Not personally, thankfully, but my great-grandfather was from Russia and fought in the war against Japan... He had to go without any food for so long that he ended up eating the soles of his boots.
Were they leather or rubber? If the soles were leather you could go about eating it but if they were rubber... let's just say nutritional value is the least of your worries

Amber Williams

Turnsky

Quote from: Brunhidden on August 04, 2012, 01:14:35 AM

too orange to be proper cheddar.

note: australian and has access to "tasty" cheddars which are paler and sharper than what most folks may be used to. also melts pretty damn well.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Brunhidden

Quote from: Turnsky on August 06, 2012, 03:10:24 AM
Quote from: Brunhidden on August 04, 2012, 01:14:35 AM

too orange to be proper cheddar.

note: australian and has access to "tasty" cheddars which are paler and sharper than what most folks may be used to. also melts pretty damn well.

'proper' cheddar?

first off color has squat to do with anything. virtually all cheese on the market today is white, liquid colorants have to be added during the curdling process so they look more attractive- like when they dye your salmon pink so you think its healthier. in addition heating cheese  often changes the color and chemical composition as well, note the waxy sheen on that cheese, it has been melted tastily

second off- im from wisconsin, our selection of cheese in all its non-french forms is staggering to the point of being humorously frivolous- i myself have sampled over twenty varieties of cheddar alone in addition to five types of meunster, twelve kinds of havardi, four styles of feta, seven types of jack, four varieties of colby, colbyjack does not count as a flavor, six kinds of ironic mexican cheeses that are produced here and then exported TO mexico, brie, brick, farm, neuftachel, fifteen different styles of potted cheese, and nine varieties of fresh curd. i believe its been pointed out before, but if you somehow think australia has superior cheese then i shall let you believe that while i wear my cheese shaped hat (they're real and even we think they're ridiculous) whilst enjoying finely crafted five year aged cheddar from a local curdsmith, extra brittle and a bite like a badger.

now im not trying to be elitist, i know every place has its own local specialties. however dont be claiming you have the best, especially with such shaky footing. even i don't claim wisconsin has 'the best' cheese, only that there's more varieties made by disturbingly dedicated craftsmen. there's likely many english villages proud of their local craft cheese, there's laws saying what can and cannot be called a gruyere as well as proper disposal of the wheels that do not pass inspection, and france has an abundance of raw milk soft cheeses that are actually smuggled over the black market as they are illegal in the states.

the french can claim they have 'the best' wine, but that is a legacy based on assumptions, california now dominates the market along with your very own australia and virtually every state with a water supply has its own local vintiers, any of which could carry a wine you personally could love better then Chateau Margaux. in fact john cleese did a documentary on why wine snobs are elitist pricks and the audience should just go try a variety of wines and see what they like, proving so by blindfolding celebrities and having them write their reactions to wine samples and invariably favoring cheap wines and labeling fancy ones as swill. on this assumption i cannot go up to someone living in another country and say 'you must love this cheese' or 'this brand of cheese is far superior to your lowly excuse for spoiled milk'. i can however say there is a variety, and suggest some i think they will enjoy. closer to topic i am glad that the taco experiments are going well, whereas i know many audiences would be up in arms that the taco recipe they are familiar with was not used and insist that if ingredient X was missing its not a real taco. much like john cleese and his quest for grape juice of happiness on DVD one cannot let preconceived notions of an item dictate what they do, and someday there could be a restaurant in Argentina that serves a 'taco ala gabrielle' as eventually concocted by our lovely host here.

id rather this not be some rant or attack, i have nothing against turny nor the koala kingdom (being from the land where the chief exports are toilets, horseradish, and cranberries i cant be putting anyone down unless they come from wyoming)- but this is a topic, or rather a variety of topics, close to my heart. cheese in particular, fine foods in general, letting public opinion dictate what you think is good or not, letting falsely placed pride make something look odd out of context. this is my soap box to stand on and say that good food is out there, enjoy it where you find it, and go out further to find something new. also that john cleese is awesome and has valid points to make even outside the cheese shop sketch from monty python. also i haven't slept in two days and i think the walls are spinning, could someone help me find a couch i want to lay down

Mao

Pardon the food pun, but:

I think you all just got served.

Keleth

Quote from: Mao on August 06, 2012, 08:09:14 AM
Pardon the food pun, but:

I think you all just got served.

It's almost as if the topic ... curdled  :U
Help! I'm gay!

Turnsky

Quote from: Brunhidden on August 06, 2012, 05:31:52 AM
*snip*

well. you certainly put up a stink.  :P

first off. 'proper' cheddar is characterised by its pale-yellow colouration, and crumbly texture depending on sharpness, akin to its originator from Cheddar in merry ol' England (seriously, look it up)
Second off, i'm from Tasmania, which is not only noted for its apples (it's called the "apple isle", even) we also have a myriad of cheese producers.

Thirdly? cheese in the photo looks processed. grated cheeses have a different appearance.

Mao

I think I've processed enough of these cheesy puns.

Keleth

Guys guys

Seriously, let's all just calm down and pasteurize this like adults.
Help! I'm gay!

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Drathorin on August 06, 2012, 09:37:40 AM
Seriously, let's all just calm down and pasteurize this like adults.

No, just up to your chin.

Oh, and Brun? I find it interesting that you've counted the different flavours of cheese. I'm not sure what that says about you. Or me, for that matter, for noticing it. I'm not sure, but I think I might have tried nearly as many flavours of cheese myself... but, since I've been around a few places, this doesn't surprise me too much. Personally, I'd rather a nice edam to a cheddar, but it does depend on the application...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Gabi

Argentina isn't big on cheddar cheese. We don't get many varieties of it, just different brands, some of which are orange, some are orangey yellow and most of which taste almost like plastic.

And the boots were leather, not rubber.

Damaris

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

Turnsky

Quote from: Gabi on August 06, 2012, 12:24:52 PM
Argentina isn't big on cheddar cheese. We don't get many varieties of it, just different brands, some of which are orange, some are orangey yellow and most of which taste almost like plastic.

ideally any medium cheese that's like cheddar would do the trick, but really? it'd be to your taste specifics, and honestly? like most things, your taco should be really to your specifications on what's local and available, and not just follow the recipe to the letter.
after doing some research, try using some of the cheeses available locally to you, "Sardo" looks like a reasonable choice for a taco.

Keleth

Just don't get the stuff in store labelled "American Cheese" for it's brand/type. Seriously, I think whatever -that- brand is.. I think it's one chemical away from PVC piping.

Or that weird stuff that's labelled "Cheese Like Product"
Help! I'm gay!

Sofox

But that cheese stuff you get in a can, that's good stuff right?

Lurkie

Quote from: Drathorin on August 07, 2012, 10:24:07 AM
Just don't get the stuff in store labelled "American Cheese" for it's brand/type. Seriously, I think whatever -that- brand is.. I think it's one chemical away from PVC piping.

You mean the Kraft Singles?  Those orange-colored plastic slices individually wrapped in more plastic?  Ewww.  My mom bought that once when I was a kid.  Only once.  Neither of her children would eat it.

Quote from: Drathorin on August 07, 2012, 10:24:07 AM
Or that weird stuff that's labelled "Cheese Like Product"

Velveeta.  *shudder*  That may be worse than the Singles.  I do know people who like it, though for the life of me, I can't see how they can.  Then there's Cheeze Whiz -- a high quality (?) cheese-like substance that you spray from a can...

Me, I like to buy the local cheddar, aged 2 years.  Yum.  Wonderful with apples (especially Granny Smiths).  Now I've gotta go shopping... I'm out of cheddar...  :-(
|  Space   ||   Space  ||  It's Hard  ||  A Place  ||  Burma  |
|  is Big  ||  is Dark ||   to Find   ||  to Park  ||  Shave  |

justacritic

Quote from: Gabi on August 06, 2012, 12:24:52 PM

Then they were nothing more than cured cattle skin, though knowing how leather is treated in the traditional way and all those miles they were walked in, I salute the bravery and cast iron stomach of your grandfather.

Gabi

Thanks, everyone.

OK, I've found another brand of cheddar. This one's not so orange, not that the color really says anything about the taste. But I hope this one tastes better.