14/08/2011 [DMFA# 1237] Kodak moment

Started by RobbieThe1st, August 14, 2011, 04:07:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobbieThe1st

I have to say, Amber just keeps getting better. I'm really impressed with the first and fourth panel, and Wildy's expression in the latter is just great! :P

Pasteris.ttf <- Pasteris is the font used for text in DMFA.

MT Hazard

Reminds me of something Alexsi said before "I worry about him, he worries about me, we worry together" She has probably threatened to kill anyone who hurt her brother as well.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Sicill

...Abel didn't remember to mention his dreams to Fa'Lina at any point while she was there, didn't he. :U

Tapewolf

Quote from: Sicill on August 14, 2011, 07:03:24 AM
...Abel didn't remember to mention his dreams to Fa'Lina at any point while she was there, didn't he. :U
No, I don't believe he did.  Mind you, that's something he really wants to have private time with her about which he hasn't really had at the party.  I don't think he wants anyone else to know about it.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Madmann135

You have to admire a guy that can go from happy to serious in 1.2 seconds flat... and scare a dragon in the process.

Yes, I do post just to see my own words on the screen.

MT Hazard

Quote from: Madmann135 on August 14, 2011, 07:57:36 AM
You have to admire a guy that can go from happy to serious in 1.2 seconds flat... and scare a dragon in the process.

Well, he has been Wildy's friend for many years....

OminousShadow

I can now imagine Abel and Pyroduck beating the shit out of anyone who even looks at Alexsi funny for fear of what Dan will do to them if that person were to do something to her.
97% of teens would cry if they saw Robert Pattinson (Edward Cullen from Twilight) standing on top of a skyscraper, about to jump. If you're one of the 3% who would sit there eating popcorn screaming "DO A FLIP, YOU SPARKLY (I am not smart enough to use polite words)!" then copy and paste.

joshofspam

Yep, I bet Wildy would know a serious threat when she hears it.

Their probably her specialty after all. :P
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Wurgel

so, what does this mean for Pyros and Alexis relationship?

No more riding the dragon?

e_voyager

is ir me or did wildy look just a wee bit happy telling poor Ducky that Dan meant that threat as a warning.
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Stig Hemmer

I am fairly certain Alexsi can convince Pyro that dragon rides are worth the risk.

Also, Wildy in that last frame... she was itching to say "... and I will help him.", wasn't she?
Stig Hemmer, at your disservice.

Arcblade

Quote from: Stig Hemmer on August 14, 2011, 09:59:37 AM
I am fairly certain Alexsi can convince Pyro that dragon rides are worth the risk.

Also, Wildy in that last frame... she was itching to say "... and I will help him.", wasn't she?

A free excuse to deliver pain and suffering?  Of course! 

I love how the 4th panel is set up.  I'm not sure why, but it's just perfect. 

Wonder why Mab and Pip aren't there for the goodbyes? 

MT Hazard

Quote from: Arcblade on August 14, 2011, 10:05:26 AM

Wonder why Mab and Pip aren't there for the goodbyes? 

Mab is in the background of Panel one. She probably already said goodbye and she could pop in and see him any time, I doubt her old friend would mind.

D'ymkarra

I find it funny that while Dan's warning addressed both Pyroduck and Abel, in the fourth panel, Abel conveniently ignores it for the chance to take a dig at the dragon..So much hate, indeed...
'It'd be such an honour, to be personally smacked upside the head by the artist herself' - Bjalf

e_voyager

Quote from: D'ymkarra on August 14, 2011, 12:04:22 PM
I find it funny that while Dan's warning addressed both Pyroduck and Abel, in the fourth panel, Abel conveniently ignores it for the chance to take a dig at the dragon..So much hate, indeed...
now that you've reminded me what do you thing Fa`lina will say to Dan about threatening her adopted son?
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Tapewolf

Dan vowed to avoid fighting other 'Cubi.  I did wonder, whether - given Destania's capabilities - that could be a geas that Dan can't willingly break, but on the other hand he did try to punch Abel in p734.
Whatever the case, Abel knows about the vow, and he almost certainly has a drop over anything Dan could do to him after just one month of studying.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and if anything does happen to Alexsi, it's likely to be the result of an external agency, e.g. Biggs or someone kidnapping her again.

DavidRokon

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 14, 2011, 12:59:03 PM
EDIT: Oh yeah, and if anything does happen to Alexsi, it's likely to be the result of an external agency, e.g. Biggs or someone kidnapping her again.

I think that's the idea. "I'm not going to be here to protect things so you two lunkheads better keep your eyes open." I actualy think that he called them out by name he 'does' actually trust them to be able to do it.

Tapewolf

Quote from: DavidRokon on August 14, 2011, 01:09:00 PM
I think that's the idea. "I'm not going to be here to protect things so you two lunkheads better keep your eyes open." I actualy think that he called them out by name he 'does' actually trust them to be able to do it.

Ah.  I didn't think of that because it doesn't normally work.  Usually it results in critical problems being concealed, and/or the charges disappearing without trace to avoid blame.

D'ymkarra

Quote from: e_voyager on August 14, 2011, 12:48:12 PM
now that you've reminded me what do you thing Fa`lina will say to Dan about threatening her adopted son?

As Tapewolf mentioned, Dan did vow not to fight other Cubi; However, if something happens to Alexsi because of Pyroduck's action/ inaction, I'd think all bets (and the gloves) would be off - he is still a dragon afterall  :erk
'It'd be such an honour, to be personally smacked upside the head by the artist herself' - Bjalf

joshofspam

Quote from: D'ymkarra on August 14, 2011, 01:38:24 PM
Quote from: e_voyager on August 14, 2011, 12:48:12 PM

As Tapewolf mentioned, Dan did vow not to fight other Cubi; However, if something happens to Alexsi because of Pyroduck's action/ inaction, I'd think all bets (and the gloves) would be off - he is still a dragon afterall  :erk

I think this may also be Dan reminding Ducky of the responsibilities he took up being Alexsi's boyfriend.

Abel's relationship with Dan has been a little rocky. But when it's all said in done, Dan just leaving when making that threat shows just how much and little Dan trusts them. Dan could have just stayed and it all hints that Dan believes that they do have the skills to watch over his family and home in his stead.

Though I do wonder just how much Dan knows about the threats to his family? Alexsi seems to know more about that then her brother.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

justacritic

This is a perfect example of one the reasons that I respect Amber's skill.
Her ability to depict a wide range of emotions on her characters makes me seethe with envy and admiration.
That said in the second panel is it just me or does Dan look like he's missing a tooth?

Naldru

Wildy, Destania, and  Alexsis have all had their moments of expressing lethal attitudes.  Abel has also had his moments.  And as we all know, cubi don't overreact.  I suspect that that also applies to those having cubi as step-parents.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

AmigaDragon

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 14, 2011, 12:59:03 PMWhatever the case, Abel knows about the vow, and he almost certainly has a drop over anything Dan could do to him after just one month of studying.

While Abel has over 300 years of training at SAIA, Dan has Adventurer training and experience. Granted, one is not necessarily better than the other in all circumstances.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Amber Williams

People seem to think that Dan's vow means he's going to just roll over and accept any abuse from Cubi.  It's not that way at all. He's vowed to try to avoid conflicts with other Cubi, but the keyword is try.  If he feels it is truly justified, he isn't going to refrain from beating the snot out of a Cubi.

Alondro

And with that warning, Dan has now activated 'Comic Karma', which by rules demands that something happen to Alexsi forcing Abel and Pyro to go on some long, drawn-out misadventure to put things right before Dan gets back! 

And they'll both become Shinigami in the process!  :D
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Tapewolf

Quote from: Amber Williams on August 14, 2011, 09:47:25 PM
People seem to think that Dan's vow means he's going to just roll over and accept any abuse from Cubi.  It's not that way at all. He's vowed to try to avoid conflicts with other Cubi, but the keyword is try.  If he feels it is truly justified, he isn't going to refrain from beating the snot out of a Cubi.

If Abel actively harmed Alexsi, I can well imagine he'd ignore the vow.  That would be justifiable.  What I find jarring in terms of the vow is the fairly explicit threat to murder him if something happens that he can't prevent.

(EDIT:  For that matter, it's a jarring in terms of Dan's moral compass, but whatever)

Quote from: AmigaDragon on August 14, 2011, 09:21:41 PM
While Abel has over 300 years of training at SAIA, Dan has Adventurer training and experience. Granted, one is not necessarily better than the other in all circumstances.

"Do you honestly know how many adventurers-turned-'Cubi have come to SAIA thinking they could just pick up a sword and 'Show 'em who's boss'?  It's almost laughable!"

See also 'adventurer-slaying department' (notwithstanding that this may possibly have been invented by Ink to annoy Dan)

Anker Steadfast

Well, Dan being Dan, he generally don't tend to be very menacing, even if he can be dangerous and have been on occasions - simply because he's a nice guy.

Even so, I think this is perfectly in character for someone like Dan. After all, one does want ones familiy to be safe, and he don't have a whole lot of family to go around, which might explain to some degree his protectiveness of Alexiss.

Can he back up his threat though ?
I mean, really ?
A dragon and a cubi ?

GAH - I have been lured into fiddling with forum tamagotchies.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Anker Steadfast on August 15, 2011, 10:11:20 AM
Well, Dan being Dan, he generally don't tend to be very menacing, even if he can be dangerous and have been on occasions - simply because he's a nice guy.
Even so, I think this is perfectly in character for someone like Dan. After all, one does want ones familiy to be safe, and he don't have a whole lot of family to go around, which might explain to some degree his protectiveness of Alexiss.

Well, I keep reading it as either "If one of you harms her, I'll kill you both regardless of who's guilty" or "If something demolishes the inn, I'll kill any survivors".

However it's probably the result of my brain parsing language strangely again.  And I'm probably thinking about it much too hard.

Naldru

Actually, my finding has been that the nice ones make the best killers. 
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

justacritic