Spambots

Started by llearch n'n'daCorna, June 14, 2011, 07:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

llearch n'n'daCorna

Hey, folks.

Just to let you guys know, we've been undergoing a fairly hefty collection of spambots of late.

We've gone through and removed as many as we find, but please bear with us if you run across something. Apparently many Simple Machines Forum sites have been hit by them, so we're not alone. We've added a mod which may give us some relief, but we'll have to wait and see just how effective it is. It shouldn't affect anyone already registered, but may make things difficult for new users.

In the meantime, your trusty admins (and the less trustworthy ones, like Darkmoon) are on the case.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Gabi

It's not just SMFs. They seem to be all over the net. We've been dealing with them for a while on another forum, which is a vBulletin. We've even implemented a special infraction for them so that all mods can ban them on sight, added human verification questions to the registration form, and banned the e-mail domains that were only used by spambots, but they still manage to get in every now and then.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Darkmoon

Another forum I run has been having the same issue during the last week. I've implemented and even harsher set of bans than what exists here on CMF (due to the more diverse fanbase we have here, we can't ban as many domains as I'd like). I also implemented the same mod over there. Hopefully we can get these spammers to fuck off.
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

llearch n'n'daCorna

Well, I'm thinking we should go through the list of all people who signed up over the last four days and check each one.

I'll make a list, in a minute, when I get my shit organised here at work.

Damaris

Also - in some cases, legitimate posters are being caught in some of the measures that we have been attempting.  If that is the case, and one of your friends mentions they've been banned, please PM one of the mods (llearch, Darkmoon, Mao and Tapewolf have been working on this quite a bit) and let them know.

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

llearch n'n'daCorna

Ah, yeah. Sorry about that. ;-]