14/01/2011 [DMFA# 1187] - Cubi Wardrobe Malfunction

Started by Icalasari, January 14, 2011, 04:32:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icalasari

Bet Jyras secretly enjoyed that

Edit: I hate this phone. First the browser crashes when I am almost done, and now a typo
Quote from: MT Hazard on January 08, 2011, 10:54:19 AM
Warning! This cubi has encountered an unknown error and needs to restart
Do you wish to start in safe mode ? Y/N
Loading last known good configuration.....
Loading WinMows....

Tapewolf

I always wondered if that happened to unconscious 'Cubi...

It looks to me like he hasn't mentioned that Kria was one of the gang who offed Devin, which is interesting.
On another note, sleeping didn't do Abel much good last time it happened - hope he gets a break this time around.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Anker Steadfast

I wonder if Pip is going to get involved in this bout of sleepery ?
Also, when he wakes up, will the poetic spider be back ?

*sigh* so many questions, and so little sanity left to answer them. :D

GAH - I have been lured into fiddling with forum tamagotchies.

MT Hazard

Another chink in the cubi defences, knock them out and any shapeshifted clothes vanish. Seems like the 'universe' is conspiring to leave little warning signs or 'here be cubi'.

Considering that other creatures probably have ways to shapeshift, this may seem a little unfair to them.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

RobbieThe1st

Quote from: MT Hazard on January 14, 2011, 06:48:40 AM
Another chink in the cubi defences, knock them out and any shapeshifted clothes vanish. Seems like the 'universe' is conspiring to leave little warning signs or 'here be cubi'.

Considering that other creatures probably have ways to shapeshift, this may seem a little unfair to them.
To be fair, more than likely any innate shapeshifting would work the same way, no matter the creature type.
Of course, any -magical- shapeshifting(i.e. an amulet, etc) would probably -not- stop when the being or creature becomes unconscious - Though there are probably other methods of disrupting that sort of thing.

Pasteris.ttf <- Pasteris is the font used for text in DMFA.

Lore

I find it somewhat odd that 'cubi shapeshifting goes away when they lose consciousness. I had always assumed that they spent energy to change their form and were at rest until they spent energy to change their form again (even back to their original form), as opposed to constantly spending energy to stay in a changed form. While there's nothing in the comics that says anything like this (and now something that says the opposite), my logic behind this was Aniz. It seems rather unlikely he could have lived with May and Abel for 20-some years without ever being unconscious in front of either one of them.

Now, given this, I see a couple possibilities. A) Aniz just went 20-some years without sleeping. Technically this is possible, though dear lord feigning sleep would be boring. B) Aniz had some sort of magical aid- likely his ever present bracers or later his eyepatch- that fixed the problem. C) Abel is unexperienced and hasn't trained himself to shapeshift in his sleep. Or something like that. We know he isn't keen on shapeshifting, so it's likely he saw no need.

I'm leaning towards C myself.

Turnsky

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Mao

Given that we've been told that Cubi don't *NEED* to sleep or eat (not that they don't do either, or can't do either) I wouldn't consider it a stretch to think that he simply pretended to sleep the whole time.

It's also mentioned that these needs tend to drop off as the Cubi age, and all things considered, Abel is still pretty young.  Not a child or anything, but I'd not quite consider him a full fledged adult and thus less likely (in my opinion, obviously) to have the energy/magic/whatever needed to allow him to avoid sleep as a form of recuperation, particularly when one encounters something like alcohol.

ishidan

Heh.  So now "cubi lose shapeshift if they are knocked out" is canon.

Turnsky

Quote from: Mao Laoren on January 14, 2011, 10:13:30 AM
Given that we've been told that Cubi don't *NEED* to sleep or eat (not that they don't do either, or can't do either) I wouldn't consider it a stretch to think that he simply pretended to sleep the whole time.

It's also mentioned that these needs tend to drop off as the Cubi age, and all things considered, Abel is still pretty young.  Not a child or anything, but I'd not quite consider him a full fledged adult and thus less likely (in my opinion, obviously) to have the energy/magic/whatever needed to allow him to avoid sleep as a form of recuperation, particularly when one encounters something like alcohol.

especially if one isn't used to it... who knows, Abel could be quite the lightweight.  it prolly wouldn't worry Dan as he practically lives off the stuff, though.
that and he could've just zonked out from being sick, from experience a good heap of heaving then dry heaving really takes it out of ya.

i.e: he could be just exhausted.

Lore

Quote from: Mao Laoren on January 14, 2011, 10:13:30 AM

And manage not to drink himself to death. I've heard kids will do that to you.

And then I remembered this. Granted it doesn't show the exact moment when Dan wakes up (though it's somewhat implied), so he could have had time to shift his headwings away.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Spooks on January 14, 2011, 08:50:34 AM

While you're considering options, you may wish to consider this one:

Shock.

It's entirely possible that the only reason Abel's clothes vanished is that he went into shock. Or made an extremely poor decision as a result of being drunk, and decided to make his clothes vanish.

In fact, that latter suggestion is probably better yet. Being drunk removes inhibitions, and Cubi don't have too many to start with, so... I can easily see him making some extremely hazardous choices while under the influence. Briefly. Before staggering off to find somewhere to drop his toenails, by way of his esophagus...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

MT Hazard

It could simply be that Abel neglected to put a 'lock' in place (he never expected to pass out) that would keep the shapeshifted form in place.

Dan's and Abels wings hiding power could could come with a 'lock' already build in. Abels clothes spell is something you need to hold the button down, wing hiding has an on/off switch. (although Abel may have just changed to his most comfortable form)

Prof B Hunnydew

Quote from: MT Hazard on January 14, 2011, 11:46:34 AM
It could simply be that Abel neglected to put a 'lock' in place (he never expected to pass out) that would keep the shapeshifted form in place.

Dan's and Abels wings hiding power could could come with a 'lock' already build in. Abels clothes spell is something you need to hold the button down, wing hiding has an on/off switch. (although Abel may have just changed to his most comfortable form)

I like your idea but Would added that Fluffy said that Cubi are affected by the "food" they consume... So Abel is 1) not use to shapeshifting clothes all the time so it is not engraved into unconscious to keep it up . 2) drunk and passed out  3) He is not pretending sleep so he can't maintain his shapeshifted pants

Aniz must have pretended to be asleep when he was pretending to be May's husband...

Jyrras is cute about not wanting to talk about the disappearing pant thing....
PBH

joshofspam

I'm surprised no one has thought why would that be the first topic Lorenda would bring up to change the future topic. >:3

Could it be that Lorenda is Kria's daughter after all? :3

Though at times other things point to that as well.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Captain

I blame it on being both exhausted and drunk, hohohohohoh.
If you want to visit me:
Download this: http://shoddybattle.com/downloads
then go to Captain's Modded Server and look for captaiN

joshofspam

If Abel is about to get another dream message it could be that too.

If the Pip dream sequence was either a dream or mental intrusion. It could mess with Abel's mind enough to switch off any preset mental commands to keep a disguise up. So if it's starting again I wouldn't be surprised he would lose his disguise here.

Though having a combination of 100 proof, a long dead acquaintance now found undead and possibility that Abel has been talking to his teachers daughter have made Abel's control (much as his mind) go bye bye. :P
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

MT Hazard

Quote from: Prof B Hunnydew on January 14, 2011, 12:15:54 PM
Quote from: MT Hazard on January 14, 2011, 11:46:34 AM

I like your idea but Would added that Fluffy said that Cubi are affected by the "food" they consume... So Abel is 1) not use to shapeshifting clothes all the time so it is not engraved into unconscious to keep it up . 2) drunk and passed out  3) He is not pretending sleep so he can't maintain his shapeshifted pants

Aniz must have pretended to be asleep when he was pretending to be May's husband...

Jyrras is cute about not wanting to talk about the disappearing pant thing....
PBH

Consider that wing hiding is one of the cubi's simplest abilities , clothes shifting if probably higher level.

I doubt Dan pretended to sleep at Matilda's, his head wings are still hidden. I also doubt Aniz would have avoided sleeping for that many years, he also shape shifted his body, not his clothes.

Where did Fluffy say that Cubi are affected by the "food" they consume ?

I think the "shock" theory is very plausible, too. After all, he didn't simply fall asleep, from what it looks, he went unconscious. That seems about as compareable with normal sleep as orderly shutting down a PC is with pulling the plug.

Add the fact that fainting Cubi are probably a pretty rare event (From what we know, Abel is still quite inexperienced for an Incubus of his age and in addition he has all those funny psychological traumata...) and you can see why they might not be prepared very well for such an event.

Starcat5

Quote from: MT Hazard on January 14, 2011, 01:51:37 PM
Where did Fluffy say that Cubi are affected by the "food" they consume ?
A few pages back.
Conservative Democrat or Liberal Republican: You decide!
The Centrist line has moved a long way to the Right over the years.

I'd argue that's a horribly shallow argument, except it's completely true. ~ooklah

Unsilenced

I find it somewhat odd that 'cubi shapeshifting goes away when they lose consciousness. I had always assumed that they spent energy to change their form and were at rest until they spent energy to change their form again (even back to their original form), as opposed to constantly spending energy to stay in a changed form. While there's nothing in the comics that says anything like this (and now something that says the opposite), my logic behind this was Aniz. It seems rather unlikely he could have lived with May and Abel for 20-some years without ever being unconscious in front of either one of them.

Now, given this, I see a couple possibilities. A) Aniz just went 20-some years without sleeping. Technically this is possible, though dear lord feigning sleep would be boring. B) Aniz had some sort of magical aid- likely his ever present bracers or later his eyepatch- that fixed the problem. C) Abel is unexperienced and hasn't trained himself to shapeshift in his sleep. Or something like that. We know he isn't keen on shapeshifting, so it's likely he saw no need.

Or he just wore normal clothes. Being able to form ones from your body doesn't mean you have to do it all the time... especially when it has that kind of drawback.
Post of the Dead:
"When there is no more room in hell, this thread will walk the earth"

Lore

Quote from: Unsilenced on January 14, 2011, 05:05:43 PM
Wall of text from myself

Or he just wore normal clothes. Being able to form ones from your body doesn't mean you have to do it all the time... especially when it has that kind of drawback.

... Which "he" are you referring to? Since you are not being specific and neither Abel nor Dan make any sense in that context, I'm going to assume you mean Aniz. So in case you have somehow utterly forgotten a large chunk of Abel's Story... let me remind you. Aniz spent some 20-odd years shapeshifted to resemble Cid.

So no. I'm positive Aniz probably did, at some point in those 20 years, wear normal clothes... but he also spent some 20-odd years shapeshifting his entire body to resemble someone else. So that wasn't quite the point I was making. ;)

Amber Williams

The key to things is preparation.  Obviously a Cubi wouldn't be worth salt if they lost their shapechange should they take a two hour nap.    What normally happens, particularly in a long-term disguise, is that a Cubi will apply a mental block of sort that handles the change subconciously.  Depending on the necessity, this can be something as simple and easy to dismiss, or something that nothing short of complete incapacitation would shake.

Abel in this case didn't really bother putting any major holds on his temporary outfit because he didn't really see a necessity to take the extra hours mentally fortifying one.  As such, simple unconciousness caused him to go default.  Aniz more than likely took a lot of time and mental preparation so that his disguise as Cid wouldn't poof.

Hariman

Quote from: Amber Williams on January 14, 2011, 06:47:53 PM
The key to things is preparation.  Obviously a Cubi wouldn't be worth salt if they lost their shapechange should they take a two hour nap.    What normally happens, particularly in a long-term disguise, is that a Cubi will apply a mental block of sort that handles the change subconsciously.  Depending on the necessity, this can be something as simple and easy to dismiss, or something that nothing short of complete incapacitation would shake.

Abel in this case didn't really bother putting any major holds on his temporary outfit because he didn't really see a necessity to take the extra hours mentally fortifying one.  As such, simple unconsciousness caused him to go default.  Aniz more than likely took a lot of time and mental preparation so that his disguise as Cid wouldn't poof.

Which would also explain why Dan's headwings were still hidden when he woke up at Matilda's. Dan hiding his headwings was a very simple shift was not only low effort, maintaining it with a lock was also very easy because he was used to living without them for most of his life. Plus, the lock was simple anyway, because it's only a minor change to hide his headwings.

And "hours" to fortify a mental lock on just a wing to clothing transformation probably means that Aniz' transformation into "Cid" took days to establish.

Although, now I wonder if a transformation like Aniz' disguise as Cid would fool another Cubi for any length of time.
Am I the only person who thinks that Mr. Roboto rusts out and eventually becomes the Ironman?

No not that Ironman, the other one!

Tangent

Robert A. Howard, Tangents Reviews
http://www.tangents.us

Prof B Hunnydew

Quote from: Hariman on January 14, 2011, 07:55:34 PM

Which would also explain why Dan's headwings were still hidden when he woke up at Matilda's. Dan hiding his headwings was a very simple shift was not only low effort, maintaining it with a lock was also very easy because he was used to living without them for most of his life. Plus, the lock was simple anyway, because it's only a minor change to hide his headwings.

And "hours" to fortify a mental lock on just a wing to clothing transformation probably means that Aniz' transformation into "Cid" took days to establish.

Although, now I wonder if a transformation like Aniz' disguise as Cid would fool another Cubi for any length of time.

Or what Abel said here http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_621.php  Dan's first lesson

PBH

AmberCross

Glad someone finally brought up the point that Aniz may have been wearing actual clothing... though I suspect the original question had more to do with turning back into Aniz when sleeping. In any case Amber dealt with that one, so my real question is...

What happened to Abel's actual clothes? I know he dropped his pants on a poor Mythos (I assume...), but didn't he then turn his shirt into his new pants? So why did his clothes completely disappear when he passed out?

Turnsky

Quote from: Turnsky on January 15, 2011, 04:43:16 AM
i guess technically Abel wore his birthday suit to Jy's house.   :P
... which, if we assume that Jyrras realized that too, puts the follow up comic into quite a different perspective... :P