10/03/2010 [DMFA #1153] - Hollow words

Started by Caswin, October 03, 2010, 12:00:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caswin

...and words and words and words, or so the header would have us believe.  That explains some things.

Fluffy's expression.  Discuss!
Quote from: DamarisThis is the most freaking civil "flame war" I have ever seen in my life.
Yap yap.

Inumo

Quote from: Caswin on October 03, 2010, 12:00:13 AM
Fluffy's expression.  Discuss!

Ook. That is all.

Think Albion or Mab ever had any Hollow experiments?

Keleth

Fluffy's look of disgust is due to the all of the bad bad and horrible fanfiction that is undoubtedly coming.

Especially when people ask questions that are probably already answered in the Q&A strip itself.
Help! I'm gay!

Corgatha Taldorthar

Interesting choice of words. That there is a limit to the Fae's power strikes me that the universe is ultimately cruel but fair.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Anker Steadfast

I'm not surprised to find that Fae really, really, REALLY enjoy being all powerful.

Well .. almost all powerful.

:)

GAH - I have been lured into fiddling with forum tamagotchies.

Drayco84

*Looks at shot, mangled, and burned fanfic/RP ideas...*

Dang...

WhiteFox

...Dang.

I was going to ask "Can a Fae soul be given to the child of a Fae and someone of another race, resulting in a Fae child rather then a Hollow One?"  I mean, the child would probably be a full Fae rather then a hybrid, but I was just wondering.

I guess I'll never have the chance to find out now. Thankfully, I have the ability to go on living without knowing the answer to every little mystery of the infinite universe.

Incidentally, I have a DMFA fan comic, and no Hollow Ones involved whatsoever.

Fluffy's expression looks more like an urgh then an ook. I'm betting it's in anticipation of another forty billion questions about Hollow Ones coming in.
This is my pencil. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My pencil is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life...

Nino

I just don't understand why it wouldn't be half a soul since one of the parents isn't bound to the population limit, or just be all parent and no fae (sort of how a child of a cubi and a being is full cubi and not half cubi half being).

A hollow would make sense to me to be the product of two fae when they had a kid without a fellow fae soul being free. I guess that doesn't happen because they just can't get pregnant like that then?

Poor Amber, the explanations just give way to more questions =p

edit: I think the whole "universe is unfair thing" is a reference to the desire of a fae and/or the spouse of a fae to have a child with someone they love and not how it's unfair that they have limited power. I could be wrong though but obviously some fae are "human" enough to have a genuine desire for children (eg Albanian and his wife), not to mention the other, non-fae parent would definitely see it as tragic if they couldn't have a child with the fae they were with if they wanted one.

I mean, like Azlan and Neni, assuming they would want children, would never be canonically able to (going by the wallpaper which shows Neni as definitely non-fae). Which is sorta sad. I know people who can't have kids irl often think that the universe is cruel and unfair when they see everyone around them have children and are denied this themselves.

Wallaby Warrior

"Odds are some Fae would have tried the thing themselves"

Does anyone else see something vaguely sinister in that?

That_wolf

...Hollows are depresing. There's realy nothing else I can say.
Abel needs a hug...

Grey Wolf

Quote from: Kattuccino on October 03, 2010, 02:42:10 AM
I mean, like Azlan and Neni, assuming they would want children, would never be canonically able to (going by the wallpaper which shows Neni as definitely non-fae). Which is sorta sad. I know people who can't have kids irl often think that the universe is cruel and unfair when they see everyone around them have children and are denied this themselves.

Fae can reproduce asexually (or spontaneously); remember Rose? Azlan would probably have to apply for a fae soul, and then, with a little magic, the kid could look like both parents.
If not, there's always adoption...

Quote from: Wallaby Warrior on October 03, 2010, 03:06:21 AM
"Odds are some Fae would have tried the thing themselves"

Does anyone else see something vaguely sinister in that?

Indeed I do :C
Warning: This forum goer is prone to bouts of logic, and has a dry sense of humor.

jeffh4

Let me get this straight.  "Soul-less husk," "won't be seeing them in Furrae."

Well it's official.  Steve Irwin can make a guest appearance but Gordon Gecko never will!   :)

P.S. Of course, you can substitute any political personality you want in for Mr. Gecko, but trying to pay attention to the rules of the forum here.

Wanderer

I just don't understand why it wouldn't be half a soul since one of the parents isn't bound to the population limit, or just be all parent and no fae (sort of how a child of a cubi and a being is full cubi and not half cubi half being).

The rule of thumb is that a crossbred child defaults to the species of the more powerful parent. Given that any cross-species relations with a Fae pretty much guarantees that the Fae will be the more powerful parent, the resulting child would always be a Hollow.

Alondro

Hollows... that reminds me... *goes to watch "Bleach" some more* 

Charline wants there to be a Hollow so she can eat it, because that would be more evil than evil.
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Nino

Quote from: Grey Wolf on October 03, 2010, 11:35:37 AM

Fae can reproduce asexually (or spontaneously); remember Rose? Azlan would probably have to apply for a fae soul, and then, with a little magic, the kid could look like both parents.
If not, there's always adoption...

Ah yes, but Rose was a fluke when a fae gave their soul up without selecting a donor. From the recent arc that took place in the fae city I got the feeling that it could possibly be a long wait to qualify for a fae soul (possibly 4-5x the lifespan of the non-fae parent even). The adoption thing is true as well, but I think it's also partly not wanting "a" child but wanting their own child. I know this is the case in real life situations when couples can't have kids.

Quote from: Wanderer on October 03, 2010, 09:12:29 PM

The rule of thumb is that a crossbred child defaults to the species of the more powerful parent. Given that any cross-species relations with a Fae pretty much guarantees that the Fae will be the more powerful parent, the resulting child would always be a Hollow.

Oh yeah =p You're totally right.

joshofspam

The interesting cuter counter point of the Hollows is the Mow.

Though it is part Mab. It is nothing but a ball of fur with wings, antenna, and a face.

Though Fae are magical. It seems the Mow has no magic and is completely immune to it.

They both pretty much can't be killed. But the Fae are big time power houses, while Mow are just the scourge of property owners.

I often wonder if its a common the people in the comic (especially beings) think the Fae made them and leave it at that?

Where magic fails. Science concurse. With very unsatisfying results.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Netrogo

Oh god, now there are a whole bunch of rules about the things. Amber has released the flood gates of bad fanfiction. Soon there's going to be a dozen Stephanie Meyers writing horrible stories about their totally unique hollow character who finds his soul int he arms of his one true love and goes on to become king of the Fae or some thing.
Once upon a time I actually posted here.

Corgatha Taldorthar

Actually, I think a fanfic concerning hollows has the potential to be very good. Although I'm envisioning (and no, I'm not going to write this myself) something more about how it comes out that one of the couple is a Fae, and a sort of desperate, futile struggle against the inevitable sort of thing. Especially if you have some sort of conflict where the Fae parent has already given it up as hopeless,and the other parent refuses to stop trying stuff.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Drayco84

And there's also a large number of children who've lost their parents, or their parents have had to put them up for adoption for one reason or another... Sure, there's a few legal hoops you have to jump through, but there IS a way to make the universe a little less cruel.

EDIT:
Dang, this sounds depressing no matter how you slice it...

joshofspam

Truefully. I think Amber has done a pretty good job of covering up loopholes in the limit cap on Fae population.

Mow seem to be the exception to the rule. But at the same time they aren't completely what you would call a successful hybrid of two races.

It shows that even if you can get life into something only part Fae. It won't necessarily be a hybrid.

The Mow is probably the biggest success in this area and it was more cloning then making a hybrid. So using science to cut the difference might end worst then just getting a Hollow.

I think Amber might have completely covered any chance of a successful Fae half ever being born. Though adopting isn't out of the question I would think for those couples that want to raise a child.

Mao

I rather doubt this opens the foodgates for hollow characters at all, even in jest.  Keep in mind, they have no soul what so ever.  No personality.  No ambitions.  No drive.  Just a lifeless, emotionless automaton which seems to be only alive in the biological sense.  Everything else? Dead.  Completely empty.  Hollow.  This has been covered before I believe.  Toss on now that there's ABSOLUTELY NO WAY AROUND THIS, confirmed by the comic, that should be the end of it.

Alondro

Jyrras could impant a robot brain in one, then it would be a soulless cyborg of evil!

Yes... Hollows could be made into cyborgs...  >:3  I have an idea.
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

joshofspam

I kind of find the topic of the Hollow depressing though. :cry

But it is sometimes surprising how wrong an attempt can go when you try to break a rule that a Fae can't break. Page#363 is proof of that. :erk

VAE

Quote from: Alondro on October 04, 2010, 04:04:05 PM
Jyrras could impant a robot brain in one, then it would be a soulless cyborg of evil!

Yes... Hollows could be made into cyborgs...  >:3  I have an idea.

I had this idea before.... the awesomest thing is that it's a COMPLETELY MAGIC IMMUNE soulless cyborg of evil... i wonder what happens to the body when it reaches 21 though.... supposedly the organism dies but in this way maybe we could hold the individual segments used in the cyborg alive...  alternately, use hollow tissues, which hopefully retain the spell immunity even after death, to protect the body of a robot? (though, both would probably still be vulnerable to spot use of telekinetics or stuff like that... not all that peachy....
The possibilities  >:3

The bottom line though is, that breeding your own tribe of weres might be way easier method to get this property... in human form even the fae can't mess with them, apparently
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Anker Steadfast

I wonder, if a fae that dies, can make itself into a random child of any fae "suddenly-parent" .... could it also make itself into a child for someone non-fae ?
ie. the child itself would still be fully fae, just shaped like something else ?

Like, Jyrras working in his lab after promising Lorenda that he will create no more lifeforms, or sentient robots ... or ..

and*poof* - He has a Fae baby in his lap ? 

The snenanigans would be endless !!
Deebs randomness + Fae Baby with enourmous magical powers = chaos!
And M.A.C.E. would add some diversion to the bunch.

And then Jyrras' sisters would all go SQUEEEAAL over the baby ... and ... and ...
All fae in existance would scry on Jyrras like he was a soap opera on television.

:D

Man, maybe I should write a fan fiction.

GAH - I have been lured into fiddling with forum tamagotchies.

Turnsky

have the fae tried duct taping a soul to a hollow yet? i hear it does wonders for bending the laws of reality.  >:3

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Alondro

Quote from: Turnsky on October 05, 2010, 09:55:32 AM
have the fae tried duct taping a soul to a hollow yet? i hear it does wonders for bending the laws of reality.  >:3

I don't think duct tape is strong enough.  It can't stop a speeding car, as proven on Myth Busters.  :/

Now, Gorrilla Glue on the other hand...

AmigaDragon

Now that the next Q&A strip is up, where do we find this one? I don't see them yet in the archives or in Demo 101.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Alondro on October 05, 2010, 02:32:14 PM
I don't think duct tape is strong enough.  It can't stop a speeding car, as proven on Myth Busters.  :/

That depends entirely upon how much you use, and where.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Naldru

If you create a mat of duck tape and place it so that it would cover and stick to the front and hood, it might be able to stop a speeding car by interrupting the air flow and overheating the engine.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.