03/08/2010 [DMFA #1133] - Photogenic

Started by Tapewolf, August 03, 2010, 04:20:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Well, he did the clothes-morphing trick.  I'm somehow mortified at the camera business, though...

PS: Someone else make a thread for a change, I'm starting to feel guilty about this

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

!KCA

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 03, 2010, 04:20:27 AM
I'm somehow mortified at the camera business, though...

Won't people just think he's an angel/demon mix? There's a few running around, if I recall.

PS: Someone else make a thread for a change, I'm starting to feel guilty about this

But your posts are (usually) so insightful. Sometimes, they're the only reason to read a thread.

Garsemor

Hey, I think this is actually the first insectis to have talked in-comic.

Tapewolf

Quote from: !KCA on August 03, 2010, 04:54:29 AM
Won't people just think he's an angel/demon mix? There's a few running around, if I recall.

Depends if they recognise the headwings.  No, it's just that I wrote something very similar to this strip a few weeks ago.  But that's just one of the perils of writing fanfiction  :B

That and hiding the fact that you're a rare and dangerous Creature by pretending to be another rare and dangerous Creature is maybe a little counterproductive.

As for insight, bear in mind that when I'm starting a thread I haven't always had time to digest the strip fully...

EDIT:
As for the covers (see rant), that would be cool.  Depends on Amber's workload, though.

Bjalf

Lovely update, as always. Well, not always, as such, but definitely most of them. (No, I'm not complaining, I just don't want to give the artist a big head  ~_^ )

Which makes me want to go a bit off-topic, and slightly fanboi-ish.

I look at the strip, and I think "Dang, there's a lot of details there. I wish the strip was larger, so I could really feast my eyes on all the lovely details."

So my vote is this: Chapter covers are more nice to have than need to have. But my monitor is 1680x1050 and today's strip is a mere 666x350. Aaand I'm getting ooold, and I can't afford new glasses :crying

But seriously, the artwork is so good that slightly larger strips would be quite welcome.

MT Hazard

An Insectis fan girl ? (Guy?) now I've seen everything
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Mao

Ah, nothing like random, unsolicited photography of one's self to make a situation awkward.  I wonder how long until we get that photo out to the world and a lovely little mess starting at Lost Lake as the 'Cubi witch hunt begins...

Tape:  If you want other people to make a thread all you have to do is not make one.  Why not just wait until someone else makes a thread to post?  I'm fairly confident that one will go up at least around the same time the sun hits the American continent.

Howl

I had totally forgotten he ever wore an outfit like that.

His skirt is shorter, though.

Axa

I predict : That photo is going to be one of those "who is this man" and "are they dating" kind of thing in the news.

PS : I think the cubi witch hunt will start as soon as people see Abel's clan mark on his back...

Tapewolf

Quote from: Axa on August 03, 2010, 07:00:38 AM
I predict : That photo is going to be one of those "who is this man" and "are they dating" kind of thing in the news.

Depends to some extent whether Jyrras has been outed.

Quote from: Mao Laoren on August 03, 2010, 06:06:57 AM
Tape:  If you want other people to make a thread all you have to do is not make one.
Yeah, I was having one of those mornings.  Apologies for my earlier whinging.

Keleth

Quote from: Bjalf on August 03, 2010, 05:51:13 AM
But my monitor is 1680x1050 and today's strip is a mere 666x350. Aaand I'm getting ooold, and I can't afford new glasses :crying

But seriously, the artwork is so good that slightly larger strips would be quite welcome.

Lower your screen resolution.

It will make that strip fill up more of your screen  :U
Help! I'm gay!

Suwako

Quote from: Drathorin on August 03, 2010, 07:43:37 AM
Quote from: Bjalf on August 03, 2010, 05:51:13 AM
But my monitor is 1680x1050 and today's strip is a mere 666x350. Aaand I'm getting ooold, and I can't afford new glasses :crying

Lower your screen resolution.

It will make that strip fill up more of your screen  :U

I think ''ctrl +'' works too, but stuff can get blurry that way. :3

Soulgem.

Axa

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 03, 2010, 07:22:30 AM
Quote from: Axa on August 03, 2010, 07:00:38 AM

Depends to some extent whether Jyrras has been outed.

Agreed. I did say "kind of thing".  :ipod
And to clarify my original thought in "kind of thing" was meant as "news like these".

Tapewolf

On reflection, you're quite right.  Abel was talking about being 'Cubi in public and with his traditional SAIA outfit, I had somehow missed that his headwings are missing.  I'm not sure I like that he seems to have been photographed from an angle that would show his marking, though.  Unless of course he painted it over.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 03, 2010, 05:22:32 AM

Depends if they recognise the headwings.  No, it's just that I wrote something very similar to this strip a few weeks ago.  But that's just one of the perils of writing fanfiction  :B

headwings? What headwings? I don't see any headwings on him there.... (dammit, sniped)

Of course, the whole "sometimes he has wings, and sometimes he does not" thing might be a bit suspicious...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

joshofspam

Abel can't go into public without the fan girls taking a picture of him. >:3

But is it surprising?

Why I wouldn't be surprised if Abel had a gaggle of girls following him by the time he reaches Jyras's house. The biggest problem for Abel is probably if his clan mark was in the photo and this girl shared it on the internet.

What? Dragons in this world probably use the internet too. Being locket up in their caves all smug with themselves by majority. Internet for them was probably the best thing for them since "Thirty minates or your pizzas free".

As for Amber wanting to do covers for her comics. Do what you'll enjoy Amber and have fun.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

RandomMetaphysics

Quote from: joshofspam on August 03, 2010, 09:04:34 AM
Abel can't go into public without the fan girls taking a picture of him. >:3

But is it surprising?

Why I wouldn't be surprised if Abel had a gaggle of girls following him by the time he reaches Jyras's house. The biggest problem for Abel is probably if his clan mark was in the photo and this girl shared it on the internet.

Holy crap.  :U
I forgot there was internet in the world of DMFA. Which means that there is a possibility that your theory could come true.
*Shifty Eyes*
*Puts some popcorn in the microwave*

Jasonrevall

Hey the ambiguous gender outfit has returned.

In regards to chapter covers, I don't know if the old art would fit in with the new art, but it would still probably make it look spiffy. However, unless it is gonna be a book, we have the archives to tell us when chapters start and end. I say it would be neat and even helpful with organization and stuff but not really necessary, and I would prefer the focus on the comic. Just my thoughts on the matter.
Forward ever onward upward aiming skyward.

ChaosMageX

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on August 03, 2010, 08:28:57 AM

Of course, the whole "sometimes he has wings, and sometimes he does not" thing might be a bit suspicious...

There are patches, jewelry, and other magical items that can used to easily hide creature traits on creatures that don't have shape-shifting abilities.

IIRC, Jakob used a seemingly magical ring as a rouse to hide his own shape-shifting abilities before he revealed his cubiness to Joshua in Project Future.

Abel could easily use the same ring rouse, or another random piece of jewelry, or even a hidden patch, to deny any internet claims of him being a cubi.

Heck, probably some of the people who comment on a comparison of Abel's photograph will make that same claim.

On the other hand, Abel's rare wing combination does have me worried.  Would an Angel/Demon hybrid really have that same combination, or is that a rare trait exclusive to the Quoar clan and other cubi that won the genetic lottery?

If it's the latter, most of the world probably won't know of this combination and that picture would get a lot of people asking questions about it.

And there's also the possibility of that if his clan marking did end up in that photograph and on the internet, someone could run it through a database of known cubi clan markings and possibly get a hit.  However, given that Siar clan is nearly extinct, the possibility of a match is thankfully very slim.

In regards to chapter covers, I'd like them, as they would be quite interesting eye candy (some perhaps even wallpaper worthy), but only if Amber has the time to make them.

Icon by Sunblink

Mao

Quote from: ChaosMageX on August 03, 2010, 11:39:58 AM

There are patches, jewelry, and other magical items that can used to easily hide creature traits on creatures that don't have shape-shifting abilities.

I was thinking this as well.

Kuari

Tabloid headline!

Man in skirt seen visiting Jy-Jy, man of the year!

...this can't end well.

techmaster-glitch

lilpuppy23

Quote from: Garsemor on August 03, 2010, 05:03:57 AM

I think that's the first insectis to even appear in-comic

I don't think Abel really has that much to worry about, considering their rarity and intense paranoia, I think this one is more of a scientist-studying-surface-creatures insectis than one that's going to spread it all over the internet. Do they even get wi-fi underground?

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: lilpuppy23 on August 03, 2010, 12:53:28 PM
Quote from: Garsemor on August 03, 2010, 05:03:57 AM

I think that's the first insectis to even appear in-comic

Actually, I think there was an Insectis at the Creature Council meeting... yeah, here. Said only three words, though...

What I'm wondering is if the next comic is going to cut to another scene, or if we actually get to see more of this Insectis....  :3

Raffe

Regarding the rant about covers, I think they would detract from the flow of the story. Instead of [story, story, story], you get [story, STOP, wait a minute, story]
Hooray ellipsis!

SpottedKitty

I wonder how long until we get that photo out to the world and a lovely little mess starting at Lost Lake as the 'Cubi witch hunt begins...

Not forgetting, of course, that Little Miss Blunt Object Brigade saw him at Lost Lake last night without wings.

Assuming she's sobered up yet and got rid of the monumental hangover enough to remember what "pretty boy" looked like...   :rolleyes
ENGLISH: A language that lurks in dark alleys, beats up other languages
and rifles through their pockets for spare vocabulary.

Mao

Funny, she was exactly who I was thinking about.  No, not because of how well Mab drew her chest...

Well, ok, not *only* because of how nicely drawn her chest was.

terrycloth

'Come out of the woodwork'? Is that a termite insectis?

And why didn't he hide his wings, anyway?

(as for chapter cover pages, only if they're interesting enough to show off in their own right; I'd probably rather have comics)

Rambon

Quote from: SpottedKitty on August 03, 2010, 01:28:04 PM

I wonder how long until we get that photo out to the world and a lovely little mess starting at Lost Lake as the 'Cubi witch hunt begins...

Not forgetting, of course, that Little Miss Blunt Object Brigade saw him at Lost Lake last night without wings.

Assuming she's sobered up yet and got rid of the monumental hangover enough to remember what "pretty boy" looked like...   :rolleyes

That may be true but it isn't a crime.