Cartoons/Anime thread

Started by King Of Hearts, August 03, 2006, 05:45:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hilary

Yeah, insane characters always make for the best entertainment.

I forgot to mention Wolf's Rain, I like that too. I really want a screensaver like the background in the end credits, with the wolf running against the sky that constantly changes. It's just a little hypnotizing...

King Of Hearts

GaoGaiGar is made of win and hotblood.

With courage 1% becomes 100%!

During the 80s and the early 90s, the super robot genre was waning the focus was on Real Robots... for me it was Yasuhiro Imagawa [one of my fave directors, his work on Giant Robo: The day the earth stood still was great!] who started the revival of the SR genre with G Gundam which was cemented by Yoshitomo Kometani with GaoGaiGar and the return of Go Nagai's trademark insanity.

SRs have so much cheese that it goes beyond all cheesiness and ends up becoming so freakin' cool.

I havent seen Hellsing yet... but it seems I may end up enjoying it.

Ive been browsing youtube looking for old anime OPs... ahh... the memories
Zorro... yes, THAT Zorro had an anime, I remember this was shown locally. I liked it.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=qj2V0m52isA
WOW... what the heck was up with this Yu-Gi-Oh OP?
http://youtube.com/watch?v=-tUHcMjmvpI
Son of my mother... Heroes of Galaxy Wars! Man, I LOVED this! Anyone who liked Suikoden should try to find this! It chronicles the life of Rai, a soldier in a war and his ascent trough the ranks.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=f0CpiwQzXaU
Please Save My Earth... This made me cry with a weird story of love and reincarnation. I watched this during my Ranma-addicted days, so that in itself was quite a feat.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=38Y5dYPKms8

Oh and to anyone who even remotely likes Naruto, I would recommend "NINKU" to you, It follows the story of Fusuke, who at first seems like a normal frog-looking boy who in truth was a great war veteran, who masters in using wind techniqeus. The story is great, the fighting styles are mostly based on Feng-Shui geomancy meets ninjitsu. [They spam the substitution technique so much at times that they would eventually use the wooden blocks as weapons, talk about adaptability] The art is quite dated and the characters arent pretty but the the stories are rich and characters are lovable, where else would you see a ninjitsu using penguin with flatluence or an earth shaking man in a loincloth?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=A-pgXFgUQDk

Netami

Quote from: Zina on August 05, 2006, 07:36:25 PM
I do need to sit down and re-read the manga to fully understand what's going on now. D:I'm lost.

Katan X Rociel pairing = win, that is your refresher.

Hellsing is a great anime and all, but the ending sucked because they wouldn't wait for the manga to finish. Thus "Helling Ultimate" is coming out which is truer to the original works.

Hilary

Quote from: Netami on August 06, 2006, 05:26:31 AMThus "Helling Ultimate" is coming out which is truer to the original works.

And ever since I found out, my brain has been having a little disco party inside my skull. That's how much happiness I'm talkin' about.

Miaka

Quote from: Netami on August 06, 2006, 05:26:31 AM

Hellsing is a great anime and all, but the ending sucked because they wouldn't wait for the manga to finish. Thus "Helling Ultimate" is coming out which is truer to the original works.
oh really now? I'll have to keep this in mind. <<

Zina

Quote from: King Of Hearts on August 06, 2006, 04:14:13 AM

WOW... what the heck was up with this Yu-Gi-Oh OP?
http://youtube.com/watch?v=-tUHcMjmvpI

That's for the first season of Yu Gi Oh that wasn't shown in the USA(don't know about the rest of the world) It had very little to do with the card game and Kaiba had green hair for some reason. And the art really sucked.

Quote from: Netami on August 06, 2006, 05:26:31 AM
Quote from: Zina on August 05, 2006, 07:36:25 PM
I do need to sit down and re-read the manga to fully understand what's going on now. D:I'm lost.

Katan X Rociel pairing = win, that is your refresher.

Bah, Rociel. He annoys me, as pretty as he is. I do sort of like Katan, though. My favorite character is Katou, though. He sure doesn't like to stay dead, that boy. XD

Nikki

TwT can someone please tell me what FLCL is about? i watched five epidodes -FIVE- last night and i didn't get it!! apart from all the sexual jokes XP

Much thanks to Keaton and Haz for my sig, and King Of Hearts for my avatar. ILU guys <3

Hilary

Aargh! I was going to watch that and I forgot!  *hits self on head repeatedly* To not answer your question, I have no idea. Apparently we're not the only ones-- on adult swim.com the show description is:
This gorgeous animation from Japan features alien rock stars, zippy motor scooters and robots that burst from the main character's skull. We may not understand it, but we sure do like it.
More information on the main characters can be found there, if you're interested, it might clear up a few things.

Hilary

Wierd double posty. Ignore.

Paladin Sheppard

I was just going through Gunslinger Girl again and I thought I'd mention on how I think its intro and music is just so damn good. The whole package (I got the boxed set  :mowcookie) is just so neat and clean and the story is quite fresh and differnt from most of the anime out there.

Miaka

Quote from: Xze-Xze on August 06, 2006, 02:10:20 PM
TwT can someone please tell me what FLCL is about? i watched five epidodes -FIVE- last night and i didn't get it!! apart from all the sexual jokes XP
from what I can tell, you need to watch it at least three times to understand it. but even if you don't understand it, it's good.

Netami

FLCL is a pretty basic idea... It's a coming of age tale of a young boy, with a lot of humor (mostly japanese cultural) mixed in. It does take you a few times to get it, especially if you watch it in the original japanese subbing. I remember back a few years before it was translated in english, you couldn't find any websites on it except for one little forum and we had all sorts of ideas on what things meant.

Basically it's something I wish we could have watched in English class Junior year of HS, instead of reading other dumb coming of age books like Catcher in the Rye. (Holden is such a pussy).

If you watched it in english, try finding the japanese subs. The humor is better suited, even if some stuff references people you don't know. Plus the voices are way hotter.

RJ

FLCL was cool at first... but then it just lost its appeal to me. :/

Cromartie High all the way!!  :3

[insert name]

I like Cowboy Bebop more than any other anime show out there.
As far as cartoons go, I never really had much access to good channels, but I loved Dexter's Lab when I was younger and managed to catch it.  Currently I love Invader Zim and The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy. :3

But I'm all for comic books.  I'll take a copy of The Watchmen over a year of satellite TV.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

THiN

FLCL was described in the director commentary as a, "Boy meets girl story, but then we also put in some robots." And that seems like a pretty good summary. Boy meets girl. Girl is an alien. Giant robot pops out of boy's head. You know, the usual. I could try to piece together a story summary for you if you like, but I don't want to ruin it for anyone else, so just give me a message if you want it.

When darkness overcomes the heart, my favorite anime appears. I can't even explain why without ruining the story, but Paranoia Agent is one of my favorite animes, right next to FLCL. The best I could describe this series as would be a look into the social changes brought on by a mysterious attacker, through normal conversation and gossip. The storyline for trying to catch him takes a breather during the middle to focus on these social aspects, which catches a lot of people off guard.
I'm heavy into creative mecha, so I've been religiously buying every Stand Alone Complex special edition DVD for the extras. I lurv me some delicious multiped (Tachikoma and other legged tanks) goodness. The storylines for each of the two seasons has been interesting, but at times, it gets a little too political and discussion-y for my tastes (There's an episode in the first season that takes place in a chat room.)
Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi (Hereforth referred to as "Abenobashi") is a fun one. Made by Gainax, it sort of follows the same style as FLCL, with lots of fast-paced comedy and overall chaos. Basically, the story for Abenobashi is about a young boy and girl who are thrown into a similar world to their own, in that the same people are there and the layout is similar, but the actual location is vastly different (A medieval, RPG-style world for starters.) Keep an eye out for a much subtler reference to Gainax's first animation work than FLCL's homage (Daicon V!).

RJ

*is a huge GitS: SAC fan* The Tachikoma made me cry... :<

King Of Hearts

Quote from: [insert name] on August 08, 2006, 01:02:22 PM
But I'm all for comic books.  I'll take a copy of The Watchmen over a year of satellite TV.

I'd take them both, though. Ive heard nothing but good out of Watchmen. I expect a lot from it especially since I loved what Alan Moore did with Swamp Thing and V for Vendetta. But alas I cant seem to find it where Im from.

...Kinda funny that Alan Moore looks like that old JLA villian the Shaggy Man.

Quote from: RJ on August 08, 2006, 08:30:31 PM

I only watched a few eps of it, feels very good, better than the movie. Iloved the OP, Inner Universe. And I adore the Tatchikomas, who knew that Big Metal spiders can be so cute?

RJ

Quote from: King Of Hearts on August 09, 2006, 12:00:11 AM
Quote from: RJ on August 08, 2006, 08:30:31 PM

I only watched a few eps of it, feels very good, better than the movie. Iloved the OP, Inner Universe. And I adore the Tatchikomas, who knew that Big Metal spiders can be so cute?

Reset the world! :D

Leafar

i like initial d...
recently i saw a ''somehow'' new anime...called airmaster...i found it a kick a** anime....
for the cartoons, i like johnny bravo...and the Rowdyruff boys!

Azlan

Watch Bleach...

Watch Berserk...

"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

Zina

Berserk upset me verily. It did introduce me to Penpals, though. So it's ok.
And I just wanna say:
Go Team Venture.

RJ

Roureem Egas

Captain Planet, he's a hero. o/
He's gonna bring pollution down to zero... o/

I don't remember the rest. But I am now reminded of Freakazoid.

thegayhare

Quote from: Zina on August 09, 2006, 11:05:07 PM
And I just wanna say:
Go Team Venture.

Ohh hon did you see the latest ep? 
20 years to midnight?
That was so cool

I loved the scene with a 20 something jhonny quest, hooked on anphetimines and living in a submersible

Zina

Quote from: thegayhare on August 10, 2006, 12:28:22 AM
Quote from: Zina on August 09, 2006, 11:05:07 PM
And I just wanna say:
Go Team Venture.

20 years to midnight?
That was so cool

I loved the scene with a 20 something jhonny quest, hooked on anphetimines and living in a submersible

IGNORE ME.

Leafar

Quote from: RJ on August 10, 2006, 12:19:30 AM
Captain. Planet.

'Nuff said.

holy moley that used to pass on tv in the hour of my lunch when i was what...16 or 17...God that was...dunno...no have the words for it! :>3

ilpalazzo

Hellsing
Elfen Lied
Cowboy Bebop
Cromartie Highschool
Metropolis
Zoids - Chaotic Century

Gareeku

quote author=RJ link=topic=757.msg19706#msg19706 date=1155183570]
Captain. Planet.

'Nuff said.

I see your Captain Planet, and raise you with Bucky O Hare, He-Man, and Thundercats.

Netami

Quote from: thegayhare on August 10, 2006, 12:28:22 AM
20 years to midnight?
That was so cool

My father? ... WhhhOOOAAAAA!