Cartoons/Anime thread

Started by King Of Hearts, August 03, 2006, 05:45:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

King Of Hearts

In this thread, let us discuss about the animated 2D media that I am aware many of us still appreciate ever since our childhood days.

Well then let us try to get the ball rolling.

first off, get that godawful Brainiac Attacks show out of your head, the guys who did that had nothing to do with the original staff.

I simply LOVE Justice league unlimited, [well, seasons 2 and 3 anyway] and most of DC cartoons directed by Bruce Timm who defined and Redefined the character of Batman with "Batman: The animated series" I hear that he will be directing an animated rendition [or animated sequel] of Darwyn Cooke's graphic novel "New Frontier" [try to read it, its 2 volumes of sweet story telling goodness] which is set in the 60s during the days of Macarthy-ism. [Marvel readers might compare this to "Civil War"]

Also rumors of DC cartoons creating an animated rendition of "Superman/Doomsday: Hunter/Prey" [I wanted Death and Return of Superman, pfft.] The show's producer has also mentioned in an interview that they discussed about an animated rendition of "Dark Knight Returns" [An alternate universe story where an aged Bruce Wayne is forced to don the mantle of Batman once again] but nothing solid has been said about it.

And how about an anime about people who watch anime, or alternitavely, a manga about people who read manga... take your pick.

I just discovered this interesting show that my friend recommended me, "Genshiken." Its about an otaku club and their everyday travails. I was hesitant at first because of the premise but by the time they started singing the Combattler V OP, showing GGXX snapshots and made spoofs on Gundam Plamos, I was sold.

Im at ep 8 right now and the only bad thing I can say about the show is Kosaka... He's such an anti-typical otaku it makes me wanna stranggle him out of jelousy... or drop down to my knees ang go "Im not worthy! Im not worthy!"

nice show, Id recommend it to any person who thinks s/he's watched enough anime or read enough manga who wouldnt mind seeing an almost satyrical look on the otaku.

RJ

I'm a big JLU fan as well... if only I was actually able to watch the episodes outside of when I go visit my grandma :/ Stargirl is so awesome.

lucas marcone

Amber Williams

I don't really watch much TV..at all.  Though I did like the second season of Drawn Together enough that I'd watch it.

A few weeks ago I watched the toonami linup of Naruto/One Piece...and based on that I am going to say pirates in terms of entertainment were far superior. (Seriously...maybe I just ended up with a bad run on Naruto, but it was like freaking Yugioh/Pokemon with ninja powers)

I dunno...recently I havent had any real time/desire to watch any cartoons or anime.

lucas marcone

welcome to the salty dogs amber.... *hands her her buckeneer hat and pirateish clothes.

the pirates claim on more yea dirty stinkin ninjas!  :laugh

Kitsune Ascendant

right now, I watch naruto. one piece never really caught my attention.
but a few years ago there were these two awesome shows on toonami that I watched all the time. and a few that were really good but not quite as good as these two.
anyways, the first one was ronin warriors. man, that was some good anime right there. if I ever see the dvd collection, I'm almost certain to get it.
then there was this odd little show called reboot. I think it's anime, but I'm not completely sure. anyways, it was cool.
of the zoids shows I've seen, I think I liked chaotic century and [whatever the one with bit cloud was called]. the one with the fuzor zoids was kinda meh.

'course, back when I was a bit younger, I used to get up every saturday morning AT 7:00 (keep in mind that nowadays you're lucky if I'm out of bed before 10 on a saturday) just to watch the new episode of digimon. man, I loved that show. I still will see it ocasionally on toon disney, and it's as cool as ever.

and is there anyone else that wishes animaniacs would return to tv? that was one funny show.
I may be a bit young to be worrying about it so much, but I'm not changing this sig until I find true love.
yappities by silverfoxr, and are awesome.  Thanks!

Netami

Genshiken is pretty funny, I was waiting for something that sort of made fun of the fanbase.

But good lord... Anyone that subjects themselves to the watered-down, castrated versions of anime they show in America deserves the opinion that it all sucks. One Piece in english still has a lot of good traits because it's still pretty funny, whereas Naruto relies a lot more on blood and cussing... stuff they cut out in the english dubbing. It's so hard for anyone to plead the case of a good anime when most people's prenotions of anime are all going to be thinking of stupid, saturday morning sunshine shows.

Could you imagine someone taking Drawn Together and editing out all of the sexual and racial humor? To make it Y7 rated? You'd get about 15 minutes of stupid crap, and I don't mean the base subject matter! That's the kind of crap we have to put up when any new series comes out, and it bites.

At least Adult Swim airs some uncut stuff... But it sure didn't take one of my favorite shows, Yu Yu Hakusho, to go from a 11PM showing of uncut episodes to a 6 PM slot dumbed-down piece of crap for the kids.

Gornemant

I love old cartoons and animes (well at least some) :) , but everyone knows as long as it's not rated ARRR it ain't good anymore.
Warning, this link contains Black Sabbath

Gareeku

JLU is pretty damn badass. I've never really been much of a fan of the whole DC/Marvel superhero thing (unless you count Marvel vs. Capcom 3. >_>), but when i started watching JLU and the original Justice League, i really liked it.

Another badass cartoon is Samurai Jack. I know they haven't made any new episodes in ages, but i often find myself switching on the TV and watching the reruns. Samurai Jack is pure Badass.

Nikki

Xze likes:

Naruto (uncut Japanese version XD)
One Piece
YuYu Hakusho
Azumanga Diaoh
DNAngel
Pokemon
Invader Zim
Sailor Moon
InuYasha
Kids next Door
Samurai Jack
Courage the Cowardly Dog
Rugrats
Teen Titans

And many more!! XD

Much thanks to Keaton and Haz for my sig, and King Of Hearts for my avatar. ILU guys <3

Zina

I haven't watched much anime lately because I'm too lazy to go out and rent the subtitled stuff. Dubbed anime really just...bugs the heck out of me and ends up making me more mad than nothing else. I usually just buy or download the manga. It's a easier and faster way to catch up on some of my favorite titles. X3
In terms of american cartoons, I haven't been watching much lately. However, I ADORE The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy and Fosters Home For Imaginary Friends. Both those shows are seriously gold in the pile of crap thats been making it on air lately.

Nikki

Quote from: Zina on August 03, 2006, 08:07:41 PM
However, I ADORE The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy and Fosters Home For Imaginary Friends. Both those shows are seriously gold in the pile of crap thats been making it on air lately.
i second that notion.

Much thanks to Keaton and Haz for my sig, and King Of Hearts for my avatar. ILU guys <3

Kitsune Ascendant

Quote from: Xze-Xze on August 03, 2006, 08:08:41 PM
Quote from: Zina on August 03, 2006, 08:07:41 PM
However, I ADORE The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy and Fosters Home For Imaginary Friends. Both those shows are seriously gold in the pile of crap thats been making it on air lately.
i second that notion.

I third it.

we will now bring this topic to a general concensus. all in favor, say "aye"
I may be a bit young to be worrying about it so much, but I'm not changing this sig until I find true love.

thegayhare

I love mandy she's so evil

Latest favorite mandy quote
"It's 2 am so thats either a blood thirsty killer vampire or Billy.  Please please please let it be the vampire"

Xuzaf D

I personally can only somewhat like 25% of what I watch. A much lower percentage are things I actively try to watch (4% maybe).  

Anyway, I'm not the kind of person who lumps my shows together just because they share the same hour on the same station. For example, I've watched the Simpson's since I've been self-aware, but that doesn't mean I like King of the Hill, American Dad, and Family Guy and before you ask as to why I'm no fan of Family Guy; My explanation is simple: it's a rehash of derived sitcom plotlines filled with very annoying charactors that have become increasingly more annoying with time. Honestly, I'm suppose to laugh at "the greased up deaf/mute" just because he has a funny voice? There's no reason to make this charactor or the many others like him regulars when they have only the same punchline to deliver in all cases.

Before I start dumping on every show everybody watches, I'll just list the top cartoons that are on my netflix list.

Akira
Beast Wars
FLCL
Gundum 0083: Stardust Memory
Justice League
and Transformers The Movie

These aren't the only one's, but I'm feeling lazy right now and will only list the top group that comes to mind:

The Simpson's
Futurama
Mobile Suit Gundam (original)
Spider-Man ('94)
Gargoyles

One dishonarable mention: Street Sharks (they were not as "jawsome" as they claimed to be)

RJ

Quote from: Amber Panyko on August 03, 2006, 11:10:24 AM
(Seriously...maybe I just ended up with a bad run on Naruto, but it was like freaking Yugioh/Pokemon with ninja powers)

Amber makes ninja squirrels cry...

Anyway, I haven't watched most of the Naruto anime (none of the dub anyway), just read the manga (chapter 318 and counting!). I can't wait until they release the uncut DVDs here in October *dribble*.

Netami

You aren't missing much by skipping out on the anime of it, except for maybe Orochi's sexy voice. Naruto, like One Piece, is one of the few anime adaptions that stick VERY close to the manga. Most of the time it's word-for-word dialogue. Well, the japanese version anyways.

RJ

Quote from: Netami on August 04, 2006, 04:01:48 AM
You aren't missing much by skipping out on the anime of it, except for maybe Orochi's sexy voice. Naruto, like One Piece, is one of the few anime adaptions that stick VERY close to the manga. Most of the time it's word-for-word dialogue. Well, the japanese version anyways.

Until you reach the filler section for Naruto though... that's what most people hate.

lucas marcone

i wish i had more acess to original anime but my faverites are
FLCL
outlaw star<--- cartoon network should be ashamed for takeing this off the air
cowboy bebop
project A-ko
tenchi muyo and the manga "the ALL NEW tenchi muyo"
love hina the manga
full metal alchemist show and manga
cartoons
ren and stimpy
invader zim
kablam
clone high (MTV)
live actor show
red dwarf
the old dr. who
all that (the old episodes)
kenin and kel
double dare

so many show died before their time let us pay tribute with a moment of silence

Hilary

The only two shows that I really and truly love are Fullmetal Alchemist and InuYasha. I enjoy some others, like Samurai Champloo, on occasion, or when I'm too tired to really care what I'm watching. The manga list goes on and on... FA and InuYasha, obviously, and Hellsing, Fushigi Yuugi, Alice 19th, Ranma 1/2, among others. Once I have some extra cash on hand I'll start reading Godchild, that looks good. I love Miyazaki's films. Howl's Moving Castle is wonderful.

Kitsune Ascendant

Quote from: Hilary on August 04, 2006, 03:07:23 PM
The only two shows that I really and truly love are Fullmetal Alchemist and InuYasha. I enjoy some others, like Samurai Champloo, on occasion, or when I'm too tired to really care what I'm watching. The manga list goes on and on... FA and InuYasha, obviously, and Hellsing, Fushigi Yuugi, Alice 19th, Ranma 1/2, among others. Once I have some extra cash on hand I'll start reading Godchild, that looks good. I love Miyazaki's films. Howl's Moving Castle is wonderful.

I've only seen one miyazaki film: nausicaa of the valley of the wind. and it was awesome beyond words.

Nikki

Hayao Miyazaki is Wonderful PERIOD!!

I mean, come on!! his movies are TEH AWESOME!!

Roureem Egas

Quote from: Kitsune Ascendant on August 04, 2006, 03:13:25 PM
Quote from: Hilary on August 04, 2006, 03:07:23 PM

I've only seen one miyazaki film: nausicaa of the valley of the wind. and it was awesome beyond words.

I liked the manga better. Every movie of his I did see do kick supreme ass.

King Of Hearts

Im not that fond of Naruto and One piece because of the length, It just tires me so at times. Though I really wanted to watch One piece, then I got tired of waiting for the eps and decided to watch it in a marathon once the run is finished.

Needless to say Im still waiting... and waiting.

I also loved PPG and Dexter's lab, Tartakovsky was a genius. Though, I cant get into Samurai Jack. Just watch "Samurai Quack" to see my apprehension on it, but there are noteworth eps like the one with the Spartans, the one with the Viking Chieftain or when Aku and Jack fought in the Graveyard. Fosters home seems decent enough, it has good writing if not aimed for a generation younger than me, the only negative thing I can say is that some of the Friend's designs are too... forced to be weird, as if Tartakovsky is trying to be Hayao Miyazaki, Jack Kirby, or Grant Morrison at times.

Duck Dogers is another goodie, I love most of the episodes, especially the crossover with the Green Lantern [Boo, Hal Jordan, I want Kyle Rayner!] and the afforementioned "Samurai Quack" ep. [Walking, walking, walking, frog, frog, walking, walking, drop, walking... ROBOTS!] The characterizations are good, even people like IQ high and the Tyra Ny [or however you spell it, the Martian Queen] have their moments.

Simpsons, Drawn Together, Futurama, Family guy and most slice of life serial comedies also worth mentioning. Futurama in particular because it has those eps that just make you think deep such as the one with Fry's dog or his elder brother.

Old animes are great, especially Mecha in my case... Who cares it its from the 70s? The original Gundam trilogy series were great! [I still need to see the Zeta compilation movie, I also hear rumors of them making a compilation movie for ZZ] So was Macross [Robotech] and Voltes V.

To this day I still watch my old Ranma VHS tapes, man the OAVs rocked especially "The Two Akanes, Ranma LOOK at me!" Rumiko Takashi may be lousy in pacing but she does great serials [not to mention horror and gore, just see "Mermaid's Tear/Scar" to see what Im talking about]

and Its pretty old but try to find Doctor Dokkiri [Im not sure how its spelled] Its great comedy.

Netami

Haha, watching a .avi version of the first episode of Ranma back when I was in Jr. Highschool made me feel like I was actually in the 80's watching it. I miss those times, even if I was nostalgic of prior times then.

Rowne

I like all sorts of animé but I'd wager that an all time favourite is GaoGaiGar, since that's the only show that sits around on my hard-drive (as opposed to lying around in my archives) with any regularity.  It's just such a joyful show to watch.  I don't really do well with shows centered around a premise of suffering and as animé progresses, this seems to be more and more prevalent.

Not GaoGaiGar though.  GaoGaiGar is a happy little show about a Professor with jet boots, a bionic teen that saves the World frequently whilst declaring it's no big deal because he's only 19 years old and it has Transformers, too.

So all I have to say is ...

DIVIIIIDING DRIVER!

topher chee

Helena

Eh...if I were to say anything, I like a lot of anime-cartoons these days because I am a nerd like that. But, my favorite would have to be Hellsing...

I also enjoy anything made by CLAMP

And yeah most of u ppls do not know me...ah well, I am a "pop in, disappear," person.

Mirror, mirror, on the wall, whose to say who I really am at all?

Zina

I enjoy Hellsing simply for the fact that I'm convnced the guy that does it is absolutly insane. Or gets bored rather easily.
In terms of anime, I'm quite fond of One Piece and Yuu Yuu Hakusho, and I enjoy Angel Sanctuary, although I do need to sit down and re-read the manga to fully understand what's going on now. D:I'm lost.

Miaka

I really like Hellsing, mainly 'cause it's one of the few animes I like the voices in both english and japanese (Anderson's voice anyone?) and it's just the kind of thing I like. Too much blood or gore for any of my squeamish friends to watch(which means I get less smartass comments), enough moments I think are funny for me to not get bored, amazing art, and half the characters being insane enough for me to like.

basically... win.

Trigun also, but I didnt actually see half of it(falling asleep will do that to ya)