Definition of planet finally to be decided upon? Three new planets added?

Started by LigerJet, August 16, 2006, 12:30:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LigerJet

http://www.smh.com.au/news/science/xenas-now-a-planet/2006/08/16/1155407858215.html Check it out.  Although, I hope they change the name of Xena if they do agree on this definition.  I'm not sure how well a planet named after a TV show character reflects on humanity.   D:

Kasarn

Blazehawk

I think astrologers are probably looking at this and going: Yay, more ways to tell people how screwed up they are!  D:

Sounds awesome to me though. I heard about that not too long ago and wondered if it would get anywhere. Looks like it just might work.

Lysander

Strange how a few years ago, if they had just discovered Pluto they'd call it an asteroid. Now it and many more are potential planets. :januscat
TytajLucheek

Damaris

I think the planet being named Xena is awesome.  My father in law did a lot of work with NASA before he retired, and that was is favorite show.  So I think it's ironic, and I've been hoping they don't change it.

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

Kasarn

Apparantly the official name is kept secret until it's formally approved (presumably in case it's not approved).
So it's unlikely that 2003 UB313 will be called Xena... although I'm sure people will call it Xena anyway :)

Darkmoon

Last time around, the debate on Xena pointed towards the planet being called Isis... I dunno if that's till and option or not.

I should ask my dad. He'd know.
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

Rowne

This will be one of the first things to outdate old Sci-fi I think, it'll be a matter of watching a show and thinking to ourselves: Wow, I can remember back when we thought we only had nine planets, the kids are going to wonder what in blue blazes this is all about.  It's going to be the new: by 1999, everyone will have jetpacks!

Xuzaf D

They would be more popular if they had one hand controls and a better fuel source. 15 seconds is nothing...

Darkmoon

Well, the article above did mention that the emphasis will switch to the 8 primary planets. Plutoids would (as it's suggested) be discussed, but they aren't the major planets.
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

Netami

Third graders are gonna so goddamn hate scientists for making them memorize all of this stupid crap.

Fizzbit

When I hear of Ceres, I think of the Space Station in Super Metroid that was named after that exact Asteroid.

Kitsune Ascendant

Quote from: Clara E. Leet on August 16, 2006, 05:02:42 PM
When I hear of Ceres, I think of the Space Station in Super Metroid that was named after that exact Asteroid.

hmm. I'm kinda suprised I didn't realize that. super metroid is awesome, though.
I may be a bit young to be worrying about it so much, but I'm not changing this sig until I find true love.
yappities by silverfoxr, and are awesome.  Thanks!

Rowne

That and it helped spark off my favourite genrĂ©, the humble Metroidvania.  I am so looking forward to that new DS Megaman game which apparently takes after those particular tenets of gaming goodness.

... and I'm surprised that didn't click with me, either.

Aridas

I remember hearing something about the new rhyme ending with "Uh oh, No Pluto" on The Colbert Report >.>