The importance of staying on topic

Started by MT Hazard, May 24, 2010, 06:17:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MT Hazard

Having been on the forums for a while I've seen any number of people asking, in varying degrees of seriousness that a thread get back on topic.

But how important is this?

After all conversations naturally change as they progress, surely keeping on topic is only for big serious issues?

And even if they do stray off topic, there is a chance they will stray back onto it.

Edit: There are exceptions of course, the rules cover these.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Suwako

Because the topic being discussed at the moment is what pulls peoples interest, going of topic onto another topic may not be a topic they are interested in and therefore they would simply be put off.

Also, one could start a new topic about the topic they were discussing or were going to discuss which would make things orderly and less confusing.

People need to be given a chance to share their view on a topic, when others move away from the said topic their posts could get ignored or two topics could be discussed simultaneously making for a giant confusing mess of posts.

Indeed, staying on topic is somewhat hard at times, however making a topic to discuss the new topic should not be that hard to do for anyone with average intelligence.  :3

Mao

Since I'm pretty sure I'm one of the folks who've been asking for this, I'll elaborate:  Someone makes a title topic.  This draws people in.  It's about a comic they just read.  About 5 posts in, it's already gone so far off topic that sharing their view on the topic title would be off-topic.  So now what?  Make multiple threads about this topic, only to have each derailed?  Or do we tell people try and focus and stay on one topic?  I'm of the mind that it's easier to just tell people to get back (or to stay) on topic.  It's a lot less work to chop out offending posts into their own thread than it is to merge a whole bunch of threads that start to crop up since folks would be 'off-topic' talking about the comic in another.

The other point of view is that, the thread title *is* the topic.  You're there to discuss that topic.  If you don't want to discuss that particular topic, then you don't need to post there.

There are varying degrees of relation and for the most part topic drift is an accepted and acceptable thing but it really is up to the moderation staff if something is 1) On topic and 2) Fun to read.  Lame things will be mined (or tearoom bound, pending on the forum in question).

llearch n'n'daCorna

And we all know how much fun it is to spend time in the Tearooms.

Anyone up for a cuppa? I'm gasping...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

MT Hazard

That does seem to cover my question, thanks for your time people.

Edit: Also, did I annoy/offend someone?
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Suwako

Pft, silly. I doubt anyone was offended by your question. Though perhaps the mods were amused since they thought it was obvious. The question has been answered so people who might ask it again can be referred to this topic, it's handy!  :U

Darkmoon

Quote from: MT Hazard on May 24, 2010, 12:53:05 PM

Yes. Bathe more often.
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

Turnsky

Quote from: Darkmoon Firelyte on May 25, 2010, 12:47:14 AM
Quote from: MT Hazard on May 24, 2010, 12:53:05 PM

Yes. Bathe more often.

and see about that wart on your nose, i swear it winked at me.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Mao

Kay guys, see?  SEE!?  This is what I'm talkin' about.

Damn kids.  This is a topic about staying on topic!  *waves his cane*

Turnsky

Quote from: Mao Laoren on May 25, 2010, 05:35:55 AM
Kay guys, see?  SEE!?  This is what I'm talkin' about.

Damn kids.  This is a topic about staying on topic!  *waves his cane*

Mao: you should star in your own movie... "The Thread of Fail", the tagline will be.. "if you post it, they will come.."  >:3

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Darkmoon

What was the topic again? Can it be about Spider-Man?

llearch n'n'daCorna

Is Spider-Man topical, though?

... does he come in cream?

Mao

Darkmoon

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on May 25, 2010, 12:42:51 PM
Is Spider-Man topical, though?

... does he come in cream?

Somehow I doubt "public lice" are the same as "Spider-Men". One type is radioactive.

Damaris

On a serious note, I find people who do the "let's go ON TOPIC" thing to be seriously annoying.  How many times, in a discussion with your friends, will you actually stay on the exact. same. topic. for hours?  Not often.  Conversations naturally flow - that's how people work. If that means going off on a tangent, then so be it. But people shouldn't deliberately try to derail a thread to something completely unrelated.

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

Darkmoon

llearch n'n'daCorna

Are we discussing a movie, now? I've lost track...

Darkmoon

Keleth

Ugh.

I seen Crank and now I can't get that movie OUT of my brain.

So . . . so bad it was hilarious.
Help! I'm gay!

Darkmoon

Drayco84

Quote from: Damaris on May 25, 2010, 05:55:52 PM
On a serious note, I find people who do the "let's go ON TOPIC" thing to be seriously annoying.  How many times, in a discussion with your friends, will you actually stay on the exact. same. topic. for hours?  Not often.  Conversations naturally flow - that's how people work. If that means going off on a tangent, then so be it. But people shouldn't deliberately try to derail a thread to something completely unrelated.
On an ironic note, though... The biggest offenders in that department seem to be the elder go-I mean, mods... In fact, most of the times where Mao comes in and urges people to stay on topic, one of them will swoop in and... Well... WE HAS THREAD DERAILMENT!