Previous topic - Next topic

Howl

It says "dserve".

/inb4abandonedmine

Amber Williams

Quote from: Howl on May 17, 2010, 04:33:29 AM
It says "dserve".

/inb4abandonedmine

I could have sworn there was a rule regarding making posts without anything but pointing out a typo...

http://clockworkmansion.com/forum/index.php/topic,488.0.html
Oh wait...

I'm going to sticky this for a bit, because I'm a lil annoyed. But I don't want to throw down a banhammer over it.  Instead I'm going to just repost the rules regarding typo things. Which will be my next post.

Amber Williams

And in case anyone is wondering -why- there is a particular rule regarding typos and my general irritability, please keep these things in mind.

80% of the time when I post the comic, it is directly after I've spent a good chunk of the day working on it. As such, I tend to be tired, often going to bed soon after.  And yes, I will be egotistical enough to say that after you spend 6+ hours working on a single thing, having the first and only thing someone says in response to it be "hey. typo." and nothing more, is annoying.  And a bit of a kick to the kneecaps.  (aka: oh em gee you guys. I slave over a hot stove all evening to bring you this and you just complain! :<)

The other thing is I don't go the forum as much I used to.  However when I get PM'd, I get an email to alert me to that fact.  So in terms of effeciency, I'd rather people directly contact me rather than hope that I get the message from someone else.

The third thing is, I don't really like taking all the time to clean obsolete posts from the forum itself.  I like to do other things than play janitor because people don't want to send a PM.  I only assume people don't send PMs because it is much easier and convenient to post on the forum directly and wait for someone ELSE to send me a PM.

So I really really REALLY recommend that in the future, if people do see a typo, to message me via PM directly.  Because in the future, the 1 day ban in regards to such things will be in effect.  The rule regarding typos have been up since the time the forum has started.

Cogidubnus

Something strange happened, and I posted stuff here. Disregard it!

Amber Williams

llearch n'n'daCorna

... and if, for some strange reason, Amber doesn't see your post first, the other mods would be more than happy to provide the aforementioned ban. We've been nice. Now we're not.

*polishes boots, gets out bent pipe, and does a few practice swings*
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Anker Steadfast

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on May 17, 2010, 09:05:54 AM*polishes boots, gets out bent pipe, and does a few practice swings*

Stomping Boots are a go, sir !

GAH - I have been lured into fiddling with forum tamagotchies.

Cogidubnus

Quote from: Amber Williams on May 17, 2010, 05:25:55 AM
Quote from: Cogidubnus on May 17, 2010, 05:12:34 AM
Something strange happened, and I posted stuff here. Disregard it!

NEVARGH! :U

Damn you woman!

Just in passing, as a registered and totally official English Major (capital letters, illuminated cursive), spelling is one of those things that everyone always makes mistakes at. Even professors, and if you look carefully, published books too. Everybody mispells stuff, even when it's like their job not to, and they have fancy pieces of paper saying they use words gud.

Except Keaton. She just sits there and makes the rest of us look bad. :<
(Sure, go ahead and spell lacrimosa and atramentous and silhouette in normal conversation without reference, see if I care ;-;)

Bjalf

VAE

My favourite typo was in a slovak newspaper - lacking a letter (typed without diacritic):
"Muza zranil elektricky prd"  instead of prud (current)
The new version meaning (in perfectly valid grammar and all which is not so common in typos) A man was injured by electrical fart
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Amber Williams

Yeah. I know in the end typos are an inevitability. I feel doofy when I end up having them show up, but overall I do like having the comic spelled properly.

Normally the way I operate is after I update, I tend to lurk around for a little bit while I get ready for sleepings. That way if there is accidently a double-new post, I can merge them beforehand. Or if there is a typo, I get the PM and can change it. You guys are usually pretty quick to spot the spelling errors so often if I make a typo flub, I get a PM from someone within 10 minutes of posting the comic.

But it also means that usually by the time I post, I'm really hella sleepy.  So often it also means I'm hella cranky and easier to get my knickers in a twist over things.  :U

Bjalf

Quote from: Amber Williams on May 17, 2010, 01:25:36 PM
So often it also means I'm hella cranky and easier to get my knickers in a twist over things.  :U

So, pointing out typos is like a high-risk sport, then?   :eager

Dang, this place is awesome! It's got everything!   ^_^

Mao

I wouldn't be so tempted to play that sport.  I've experienced the wrath of Mrs. Williams.  It's not an enviable thing.  For that matter, the wrath of the mods here in general isn't much fun.

Except for Darkmoon and Damaris.  They can be pretty awesome with their wrath.

Drayco84

Quote from: Amber Williams on May 17, 2010, 01:25:36 PM
But it also means that usually by the time I post, I'm really hella sleepy.  So often it also means I'm hella cranky and easier to get my knickers in a twist over things.  :U
Soooooo, wait at least 8 hours after the release of a comic, wallpaper, or any other new content before PMing about spelling errors?

EDIT:
Quote from: Bjalf on May 17, 2010, 01:09:29 PM
Well, a good typo can be quite funny.

IMAGE OMITTED

More at http://www.oddee.com/item_95202.aspx
I'm blaming you for my new sig, Bjalf.

Damaris

No.  PM about a typo when you see it.  Don't post about it on the forum.

And, you know, read what is typed.

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

Mrs_A_ZeTavia

Technically, according to this it doesn't really matter what order the words are in, as long as the first and last letters are in their proper place and that all the letters of the word are there (regardless of how jumbled they are), our brains will still comprehend and understand it....

So, I say who cares about typos as long as you can read it and understand it fine!  :mowhappy

Mao

Guys, this really wasn't supposed to be an open discussion on the topic I don't think.  It's a rule clarification/reminder.

Turnsky

generally i myself am disinclined to point out/fix typos when it's the wee hours, i'm tired, i feel like crud and just wanna strangle the first little grot that nitpicks.  :U

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

VAE

Quote from: Mrs_A_ZeTavia on May 18, 2010, 10:36:36 PM
Technically, according to this it doesn't really matter what order the words are in, as long as the first and last letters are in their proper place and that all the letters of the word are there (regardless of how jumbled they are), our brains will still comprehend and understand it....

So, I say who cares about typos as long as you can read it and understand it fine!  :mowhappy

True, but it works only for words you are well familiar with, and stuff that is unambiguous..
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Mrs_A_ZeTavia on May 18, 2010, 10:36:36 PM

Which is fine and all, but snopes says that that's a total fabrication. And if you mix up the words differently, it suddenly becomes totally unreadable. Funny how it only works if you mix them up in a specific fashion... you might as well spend your time making it correct.

And, as Mao said, this is all a little off where the thread should be.

Mrs_A_ZeTavia

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on May 19, 2010, 04:27:18 AM
And, as Mao said, this is all a little off where the thread should be.

I understand and my apologies....

lilpuppy23

I just Ignore the typos. I trust that whoever created them will eventually notice them and fix them on their own.

Darkmoon

Quote from: lilpuppy23 on May 20, 2010, 10:07:45 PM
I just Ignore the typos. I trust that whoever created them will eventually notice them and fix them on their own.

Doubtful. I really doubt most comic artist pay that close of attention to their own comics after they've written them. I know I have a thread set up in a secret forum just for typo tracking. llearch is quite good about finding them.
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

llearch n'n'daCorna

llearch is OCD and pedantic. *cough*

Madd the Sane

Can we lock this, or is it fine for the discussion to continue? :kruger
Get out of my mind, idea!  I already have an idea in here!
Don't you hate it when you have an idea, don't write it down, and forget it?

Darkmoon

We would have, until you asked. Now we're not going to. :p
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

Tapewolf

Quote from: Darkmoon Firelyte on May 22, 2010, 05:57:38 PM
We would have, until you asked. Now we're not going to. :p
IMHO it should have been locked almost immediately, but - like actually responding in the first place - I figured it was Amber's call.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Amber Williams

I honestly left it open in case there was some questions or some discussion that needed to be.

However at this point I figure the warning has been up enough so I'm gonna lock and mine this thread.

That and well...DMFA is going on a month-long mini-break so I doubt there is going to be much issue.

Damaris

Unless Darkmoon does a guest comic ;)

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber