Ex: 05/03/2010 [AS2 #100] Such a dominating personality

Started by Scow2, May 03, 2010, 09:19:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scow2

Quote from: danman on May 03, 2010, 08:35:08 AM
Quote from: Meany on May 03, 2010, 08:28:17 AM

Huge, unsightly thighs; not yay! :U

What? Her thighs are  far from huge, they don't even touch. This is called perspective!
Otherwise you would need to ask why does she have legs bigger than thighs.

As far as to say, i am not a fan of dominatrix outfits, but YAY for Dee! Abel pretty much deserved && needed this for quite a long time, and let's face it, this is nothing compared to Fa'lina punch.
Care to back that assertion up? If it's because you are still deluded into thinking Abel has been whining about his problems, I can add another to Dee's hit-them-with-a-whip list...

Sunblink

Quote from: Scow2 on May 03, 2010, 09:19:30 AM
Care to back that assertion up? If it's because you are still deluded into thinking Abel has been whining about his problems, I can add another to Dee's hit-them-with-a-whip list...

Well, if you're so generously offering.

Chalk me down on the list of people who think Abel was whining about them - or more specifically, he did nothing to improve his situation and acted like the outcome was inevitable when, in actuality, he had plenty of resources at his disposal to stop Aniz and at least allow him to visit his mother without any fear. That's why I agreed with Aaryanna's rant.

So I personally think you're the one deluding yourself, especially if you think that Abel has made the slightest bit of improvement in the past several hundred years.

Mao

I smell flamebait....

Turnsky

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on May 03, 2010, 09:25:50 AM

Well, if you're so generously offering.

Chalk me down on the list of people who think Abel was whining about them - or more specifically, he did nothing to improve his situation and acted like the outcome was inevitable when, in actuality, he had plenty of resources at his disposal to stop Aniz and at least allow him to visit his mother without any fear. That's why I agreed with Aaryanna's rant.

So I personally think you're the one deluding yourself, especially if you think that Abel has made the slightest bit of improvement in the past several hundred years.

well there is that nicely reinforced wall o' jerk he's put up by the time DMFA proper rolls around, granted it doesn't take too much to rattle ol' spotty's cage like a maraca.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Sunblink

Quote from: Mao Laoren on May 03, 2010, 09:30:04 AM
I smell flamebait....

Smell that? You smell that?

Flamebait, son. Nothing in the world smells like that.

Scarydragon

Quote from: Turnsky on May 03, 2010, 09:36:44 AM
...granted it doesn't take too much to rattle ol' spotty's cage like a maraca.

Indeed, all it takes is calling him by his full name and he throws a fit like a socially unstable 2 year who's just figured out he's bigger than his parent (and that he has magic tentacle wings).
A Scarydragon approaches!

[Attack]
>[Word Play]
     [Sarcasm]
     [Innuendo]
     [Backwards Logic]
     [Puns]
   >[Sarcasm]
  [Procrastinate]
  [Item]

Turnsky

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on May 03, 2010, 09:44:53 AM
Quote from: Mao Laoren on May 03, 2010, 09:30:04 AM
I smell flamebait....

has that lovely Napalm aroma about it, doesn't it?

VAE

Quote from: danman on May 03, 2010, 08:35:08 AM
Quote from: Meany on May 03, 2010, 08:28:17 AM

Huge, unsightly thighs; not yay! :U

What? Her thighs are  far from huge, they don't even touch. This is called perspective!
Otherwise you would need to ask why does she have legs bigger than thighs.

As far as to say, i am not a fan of dominatrix outfits, but YAY for Dee! Abel pretty much deserved && needed this for quite a long time, and let's face it, this is nothing compared to Fa'lina punch.
I'm not afraid, Eddie, do your worst BD
And yes,  i am one of the "deluded" folk. Aaryanna put it way better than me - it is nice to see him telling his tale of woe to others , since there is nothing he could have done in an academy full of cubi of all clans and persuasions (Like Owona, Piflak) and Dee and Aaryanna themselves, both of which are reasonably powerful, against a single deluded incubus who did not take next to no battle courses, and was basically the "too kool for skool" idiot-type back at SAIA when Dee fell for him,
Ergo, he did not even need to do that much himself! Besides Aary seems pretty obsessed with him and would for more than one reason help him with just about anything with regards to upping his skills - not to mention two or more have a much higher chance against one, even if the one is better than them.

Heck - i think even Fa'lina would approve - she had her hands tied by politics as some clans consider holding together best, but nothing could ever be said if the guy he actually messed up went there and took revenge - not to mention that this kind of cubi "policing" could be used as an argument to Zinvth, as in - look we could not give him to you , but we don't approve and sorted him out ourselves!

All in all the whip was well deserved - either for him being stupid or for Dee to make him snap out, and realise Aniz is not only cubi who has power, actually he has little of it. She should have at least show something with tentacles, for just that reason - Abel does not seem to realise this fact (he might know it, but it does not click)
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Mao

Quote from: jeffh4 on May 03, 2010, 09:45:36 AM
Yeah, not too  surprising that we need to spend some time establishing Destania's personality at this point in time.

Interesting school, when teachers can assault the students.  Or maybe this passes as coporal punishment.

Given the approach of some folks around here, I'd almost be willing to call it education. :P

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on May 03, 2010, 09:44:53 AM

I know.  It's awesome.  *awesome faces*

Scrap Fish

I...I...
I predicted this! (sadly enough) Too bad there were three pages already up before I even realized it updated.

Just spreading the confusion around. There's enough for everybody!

VAE

Quote from: Scow2 on May 03, 2010, 10:34:26 PM

I DO! #1 Squiggle is up for the job. Aarryanna and Destania aren't.

Aniz is no longer of any concern to Abel... stopping the monster wouldn't have saved his mortal mother. His problems are strictly his own, it's not Dee nor Aary's place to intervene. So, they throw a hissy fit because he's exercising his right to not care about Dee or Aary's goals or desires... Fundamental, inalienable right.
Abel's loserdom aside, as i have pointed out before , him acting would improve the situation of many, and it would not even be difficult...
Therefore both Dee and Aary are fully right to wipe it over his arrogant face, as they both have stakes in the whole cause ,all with him refusing to realise who his friends and allies are in this case,
Not to mention the fact that he has no rights unless someone enforces them... and that does not seem to be much the case in this region of furrae
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Pvblivs

Quote from: danman on May 03, 2010, 11:40:41 PM
Abel's loserdom aside, as i have pointed out before , him acting would improve the situation of many, and it would not even be difficult...
Therefore both Dee and Aary are fully right to wipe it over his arrogant face, as they both have stakes in the whole cause ,all with him refusing to realise who his friends and allies are in this case,
Not to mention the fact that he has no rights unless someone enforces them... and that does not seem to be much the case in this region of furrae

Destania and Aaryanna are neither friends nor allies to Abel.  They want to use him to their own ends.  So, eventually, he needs to face what Abel hopes to achieve -- not what Aary wants, not what Destania want, but what he, himself wants.

Cogidubnus

Just idle thoughts here.

I don't think that Abel's general response to Aniz's actions is, for lack of a better way to put it, a bad thing. I've been getting somewhat a vibe that Abel is a loser for not learning the Esoteric Way of the Vengeful Fist and disposing of him with some indiscriminate justice. And I pause, to consider.

I've read in all the books that, when as a child, the hero's town is burned to ash, his parents killed and his face smeared with dust and tears, that hero shall rise up as a callow youth and destroy the evil overlord that has so wronged him.

But, I don't think that anyone other than a storybook hero would react in such a manner. Sure, Abel is in a storybook, but that's a world of difference away from a storybook hero. Consider Mink. Consider who is offering him the advice of revenge. Is he really in the wrong - is he foolish - to act the way he does?
Not to say that he's handling (or has handled - letting fear of Aniz keep him away from his mother was foolish, and would be a good reason to learn to find a way to stand up to the old man) his situation well, but I do think that a person, when confronted with the reality of what might be the most traumatic event in their life, chooses to not make it the focus of their life, they might be doing good.

Sure, he's probably repressed the traumatic event, which is probably also not healthy, but that's not what I'm getting at. Revenge, other than being better chilled, is not very filling. It's empty, in fact. Abel could choose to let what Aniz did to him dictate his actions for the next thousand years (or however long it takes Abel to kill him), make it the focus of his life, his reason for being - and be left with blood on his hands, and nothing more than what he started with.
Being able to move past an event is an incredible thing, and one that I'm surprised May was able to do (seemingly. She seemed alright on her deathbed, but that's not saying much). Sometimes we forget that Abel has lived longer than any of us, and that thirty-nine years is, in fact, a long time.

Of course, I could be misinterpreting things, but even so, I'd still have to say that I don't agree with the idea that he should strap on a greatsword and go Aniz-huntin'.

ADDITIONALLY:
Whenas in leather my Destania goes,
Then, Then, methinks, how sweetly flows,
the liquefaction of her clothes...

Cvstos

Quote from: Cogidubnus on May 04, 2010, 03:22:33 AM
Wall o' Text

All very good points, and largely what I was thinking.  Considering Abel's fear of blood he might not be all that great in battle - not to mention the revelations into his character that we discovered via that dream.  It could take far longer to get over those internal mechanisms and then become strong enough to fight Aniz than the 39 years before Abel's mother's death. We just don't know enough yet.

Abel might be a bit of a jerk but I think that people are being a little unfair to him on this one, especially Destania, although we all know she's not exactly the fair sort. (Shoot, after seeing this update I wanted someone off-screen to hit her with this.)
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them." - Albert Einstein

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." -Albert Einstein

VAE

Quote from: Pvblivs on May 04, 2010, 01:58:55 AM
Quote from: danman on May 03, 2010, 11:40:41 PM

Destania and Aaryanna are neither friends nor allies to Abel.  They want to use him to their own ends.  So, eventually, he needs to face what Abel hopes to achieve -- not what Aary wants, not what Destania want, but what he, himself wants.

Of course they do  , like anyone with anyone else.  The point is, they are his allies in this case, because they are against his enemy.

Quote from: Cogidubnus on May 04, 2010, 03:22:33 AM
Just idle thoughts here.
But, I don't think that anyone other than a storybook hero would react in such a manner. Sure, Abel is in a storybook, but that's a world of difference away from a storybook hero. Consider Mink. Consider who is offering him the advice of revenge. Is he really in the wrong - is he foolish - to act the way he does?

In ordinary cases, i would be inclined to agree that although not something i would approve of, avoidance would be at least understandable. Not in his case though - Aniz has enough enemies that Abel pretty much can lift a finger and have him go down - Aaryanna was there for about 20 years more than him ,and the only thing she sucks at is tactics (ie requires a leader in battle) - if she and Destania went with him,  the three could literally take Aniz out on the second day of  entering SAIA.
Even if we count with his more active role.  then no extreme preparation would be necessary, a few years at most.....

To me it looks more like the wronged youth finds a charged revolver on the ground just as the overlord is about to leave.

To say - the difference between a real-size and story-size character in this situation is the size of the feat accomplished - in real life the circumstances are much more important. Abel had and still in my opinion has, a real-life-kind of  chance to accomplish his revenge.
And such heroes exist in real life - one thing that occurs on me is several cases in russia and eastern europe, such as the guy who slayed a swiss air operator as his fault caused an airplane with his whole family to die, or some woman that killed the murderer of his son...
Saphroneth

Sunblink

Quote from: Arcblade on May 03, 2010, 11:48:57 PM
Quote from: Scow2 on May 03, 2010, 10:53:20 PM
Dee is, in precise terms: A sadistic, genocidal monster, with a strong "Sexual Predator" vibe...

Anyone care to contend any of those points?

Now you're just asking to be lit on fire.

This. Just this.

Tapewolf

Quote from: danman on May 04, 2010, 07:03:50 AM
In ordinary cases, i would be inclined to agree that although not something i would approve of, avoidance would be at least understandable. Not in his case though - Aniz has enough enemies that Abel pretty much can lift a finger and have him go down - Aaryanna was there for about 20 years more than him ,and the only thing she sucks at is tactics (ie requires a leader in battle) - if she and Destania went with him,  the three could literally take Aniz out on the second day of  entering SAIA.

I'm not sure Aary's much use for something like that at this point, to be honest.  She's only been there for about 60 years vs. Abel's 40.  The average length of study is around 400 years, and it looks like Aniz has done about that much.  At this point in time, he would have more experience than the pair of them put together, even if Abel had been studying single-mindedly to take him down.  In that scenario it would basically fall to Destania to do most of it, they'd basically be tagging along, maybe acting as decoys.

At the end of the day, I'm not convinced that the vigilante approach is a good thing anyway - it tends to create more problems than it solves.  If Taun's clan doesn't like the idea of Jin getting her hands on Aniz, having Destania, Abel and Aary hunt him down is not going to sit well with them either.
And as far as we know, Aniz has only killed about two people and ruined the lives of two more.  That's not exactly excusable, but putting it into perspective, Regina did far more damage.  Hell, some Demons might do more than that while courting...

QuoteAnd such heroes exist in real life - one thing that occurs on me is several cases in russia and eastern europe, such as the guy who slayed a swiss air operator as his fault caused an airplane with his whole family to die, or some woman that killed the murderer of his son...
I think you have a very different definition of 'hero' to me  :B

Here's one I was reading about the other day:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/8654604.stm
...note that the people who did this are now going to be tried, presumably on a murder rap.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

VAE

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 04, 2010, 07:49:35 AM

I'm not sure Aary's much use for something like that at this point, to be honest.  She's only been there for about 60 years vs. Abel's 40.  The average length of study is around 400 years, and it looks like Aniz has done about that much.  At this point in time, he would have more experience than the pair of them put together, even if Abel had been studying single-mindedly to take him down.  In that scenario it would basically fall to Destania to do most of it, they'd basically be tagging along, maybe acting as decoys.
I partially agree, but the thing is that this is unarmed (well, OK , multiple-armed BD) combat , and in such situations, being "many" is a great help, as however "leet" a single cubi has just a single attention span.
Not saying it would be easy, but for someone to take out multiple opponents who have at least some clue, he must be way above them in skill,  (+ favourable enviroment)
Notice how because of the presence of his mother and Hennya, Abel basically got a free shot with the chair at Aniz. Now imagine that Abel was at least basic-skill cubi, and the two others were cubi too so Aniz could not afford to ignore them any more.

At the end of the day, I'm not convinced that the vigilante approach is a good thing anyway - it tends to create more problems than it solves.  If Taun's clan doesn't like the idea of Jin getting her hands on Aniz, having Destania, Abel and Aary hunt him down is not going to sit well with them either.
And as far as we know, Aniz has only killed about two people and ruined the lives of two more.  That's not exactly excusable, but putting it into perspective, Regina did far more damage.  Hell, some Demons might do more than that while courting...
Hmm, i have addressed this above - i still think it would solve the problem. If i understand her well, (and i should ,given my signature :D )  Taun is all for "cubi solidarity" ergo, appearing all coherent and together, like don Corleone's family, and for much the same reasons. Therefore it would be politically ugly for Fa'lina to hand him over to the demons at Zinvth - a sign of weakness. The strength comes from the fact that Abel, Aary and Dee are politically unimportant - they can afford to do things others can't.
And , as i said above, in response to Scow2 , if they "fixed" him for good, this could be even, putting on a suitable political spin, used by Fa'lina to try to push Jin's agenda through, something along the lines of : "See? he was a dangerous outlier - we could not give him to you as you are not our justice court, but we did him ourselves. Blah blah, all in diplomat speak which i can't do"
As far as  Regina and other demons... well that is the matter of Dan, and whoever else is concerned and has means...to anyone, what happens to him , his surroundings, community and goals is most important, no?

QuoteAnd such heroes exist in real life - one thing that occurs on me is several cases in russia and eastern europe, such as the guy who slayed a swiss air operator as his fault caused an airplane with his whole family to die, or some woman that killed the murderer of his son...
I think you have a very different definition of 'hero' to me  :B

Here's one I was reading about the other day:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/8654604.stm
...note that the people who did this are now going to be tried, presumably on a murder rap.
Well, it seems we do have a different definition of hero  - i am personally a big believer in Hammurabi-style justice.
And if the law itself does not serve justice well, nothing wrong with people taking it into their hands - the state only borrows it after all..  :mowwink

Of course they are going to be tried - the guy i mentioned was in german jail - after they released him he is pretty much a hero there as many other people lost their families and children there as well.
Anyways, these people are probably not going to get large sentences.... there were many, facts will get muddled - power in numbers...
Saphroneth

Turnsky

Quote from: danman on May 04, 2010, 08:09:12 AM
Well, it seems we do have a different definition of hero  - i am personally a big believer in Hammurabi-style justice.
And if the law itself does not serve justice well, nothing wrong with people taking it into their hands - the state only borrows it after all..

Justice is often blind, and cannot see the truth to its fullest extent. Justice must be balanced with wisdom and clarity, Mob justice is anything but.

Justice, after all holds a sword in one hand, and scales in the other.

Scow2

If Aniz has so many enemies already, why does Abel have to be the one to do anything? To our cookies-and-cream incubus, Aniz isn't an enemy. He was simply a trauma. I dunno if Abel would have contacted his mother even if Aniz didn't threaten to kill her for it. He even admits it was merely a convenient excuse to stay away (My biggest point of contention with Mao isn't that Abel is cowardly, it's how much sympathy/ire he deserves for it).

Danman, you say a lot of people would benefit by Abel taking action. But, really, the only people he should be concerned about benefiting from him are those he actually cares about.

Shutting down Aniz wouldn't make May any less dead, so she wouldn't benefit from him taking action anymore.

While Destania may benefit from stopping Aniz, she is antagonistic toward Abel. Also, she's technically a genocidal (Kill ALL[/i] Dragons!), sadistic (Clan Cyra, and recognized campus-wide as master of inflicting pain) monster(Experimenting on Infants, anyone?), and possibly sexual predator (See her current outfit!). So, she's not generally the person you want to help for advancing "The Common Good" (A term used to justify oppression anyway, historically).

While becoming less of a nihilistic coward would improve Abel's image to Aaryanna, he has no need to earn her respect, since he doesn't like her anyway. So, no benefit to him for helping her.

Aniz's existence doesn't have any bearing on Abel's life anymore, so he wouldn't help himself by stopping Aniz (no matter how painless) directly.

The only person in any position to get Abel to do anything against Aniz is Mink, who is Abel's friend. If Mink is affected by Aniz staying on the loose, then he's the one to give Abel the wake-up call, not Dee or Aary.

If you say Abel would benefit from stopping Aniz because not doing so incurrs wrath or abuse from Dee or Aary, then him going along with their plans is just as right as him choosing to stay at SAIA without contacting May until her death, since both are based on EXTORTION

VAE

Quote from: Scow2 on May 04, 2010, 01:13:37 PM
If Aniz has so many enemies already, why does Abel have to be the one to do anything? To our cookies-and-cream incubus, Aniz isn't an enemy. He was simply a trauma. I dunno if Abel would have contacted his mother even if Aniz didn't threaten to kill her for it. He even admits it was merely a convenient excuse to stay away (My biggest point of contention with Mao isn't that Abel is cowardly, it's how much sympathy/ire he deserves for it).
That does not add any points to him, does it?

Danman, you say a lot of people would benefit by Abel taking action. But, really, the only people he should be concerned about benefiting from him are those he actually cares about.

Shutting down Aniz wouldn't make May any less dead, so she wouldn't benefit from him taking action anymore.

While Destania may benefit from stopping Aniz, she is antagonistic toward Abel. Also, she's technically a genocidal (Kill ALL[/i] Dragons!), sadistic (Clan Cyra, and recognized campus-wide as master of inflicting pain) monster(Experimenting on Infants, anyone?), and possibly sexual predator (See her current outfit!). So, she's not generally the person you want to help for advancing "The Common Good" (A term used to justify oppression anyway, historically).
Firstly i think Mao addressed the four conveniently reddened points already, in a way somewhat better than i could put together.
Not to mention the fact that genociding dragons who killed most of her clan, driven away Aniz in the effect ,and caused endless death and destruction to Cubi seems like a mighty good idea.
Secondly, Destania is generally someone you want to help to advance common good of CUBI, who abel doubtlessly is.
Not to mention the only reason she is antagonistic towards abel somewhat (and even that i wouldn't be sure of  - otherwise she would do decisively less talking and more beating up) is that he, instead of helping her with a scheme good for both of them and requiring little effort of his side, just does nothing pretty much...

While becoming less of a nihilistic coward would improve Abel's image to Aaryanna, he has no need to earn her respect, since he doesn't like her anyway. So, no benefit to him for helping her.

Aniz's existence doesn't have any bearing on Abel's life anymore, so he wouldn't help himself by stopping Aniz (no matter how painless) directly.

The only person in any position to get Abel to do anything against Aniz is Mink, who is Abel's friend. If Mink is affected by Aniz staying on the loose, then he's the one to give Abel the wake-up call, not Dee or Aary.
There is nothing to say it will not have an effect in the future... Aniz is not likely to stop with his plans, making more broken cubi in the process as the most likely outcome , and do not say that you reallistically consider that abel will stay in the academy forever....

If you say Abel would benefit from stopping Aniz because not doing so incurrs wrath or abuse from Dee or Aary, then him going along with their plans is just as right as him choosing to stay at SAIA without contacting May until her death, since both are based on EXTORTION

Firstly if you call what Aary did "wrath and abuse" , or even better (sic) EXTORTION you have very , very "cushioned" definition of the term. Suffices to say that i hear such kind of arguing in my family pretty much every time (not hitting with riding crops)  i am there now, and we are not psychos.
People argue, when they do so, they say things bluntly and with anger as the topic is usually emotionally important to them.
Boo hoo, what a tragedy.

Heck, even the facecrop can be seen as  a valid response to his snark. And, for extortion, she would actually need to claim to do him something if he does not comply. Instead she is basically going on this way: Heya abel, lissn up! I really hate your father because he is a swine in more ways than you even know. I wanna kill him but it would be rly neat if i could get ya to help me, y'know as his son. I'm not forcing ya to do it, but if ya don't wanna help, stand out of me way or else!

And in the end , the difference is that they are trying to do something for his good too  - as we saw with the episode with dreampip, as long as Aniz lives, and probably a bunch of years after, Abel cannot really separate of his past and live properly - it does, and will do haunt him
Saphroneth

Pvblivs

QuoteAnd in the end , the difference is that they are trying to do something for his good too.

I don't see it that way.  Of course, I'm rather cynical when that excuse comes up.  Similarly, Destania's scheme is good for Destania, not Abel.  Indeed, I think your example hurts your case.  One thing that Abel does want is not to become like his father.  Going along with this would only solidify that he was like his father.  A case could even be made that Destania and Aaryanna are enemies of Abel as they are working against his dearest interest.  So, no, this isn't for his own good.

Arcblade

Quote from: Pascal on May 04, 2010, 07:42:07 PM
As an addendum, I'm still somewhat baffled by the mad on some people have for Abel. If the guy wants to sit on his backside for a couple of centuries and do sweet FA, why shouldn't he? He's immortal and he's got a pretty cushy gig going on. Why not spend a few lifetimes doing the 'cubi equivalent of sitting around in his underpants and playing x-box?

Well, possibly because his mother was growing old and dying in that time.  And the last memories he has of her are bad ones, despite that he (seems to have) loved her very much, and she him.  Most people would find that reason enough to do something, I believe.  Although I'll grant I'm no expert. 

AGE00

Quote from: Arcblade on May 04, 2010, 07:51:57 PM
Well, possibly because his mother was growing old and dying in that time.  And the last memories he has of her are bad ones, despite that he (seems to have) loved her very much, and she him.  Most people would find that reason enough to do something, I believe.  Although I'll grant I'm no expert.  

Meh. She would'a died anyway. Although it wasn't the case here, I wouldn't blame someone for wanting to make a clean break, as opposed to hanging around for decades and watching their mum slowly fall to bits.

Edit: Just seems a bit morbid and futile to me, that's all.
Re-Edit: Besides which, that whole scene is just FUBAR. Nothin' he could ever do is going to make that all alright. As I said, better to go for a clean break rather than make a mess dragging it all out.

Turnsky

my, aren't we getting uppity?

For starters, it's less about taking out Aniz and more about Abel growing some backbone so he could stand up to his father.  There is a quote, the only way for evil to succeed is for a good man to do nothing. I.e: Abel's inaction is just as bad as what Aniz has done in the past. Because he let it happen.

i love this, it's just hilarious... historically Cubi by any definition were 'sexual predators'.  and Mao's right, Abel was being rude, and got a good smack across the chops for his troubles. It's a wakeup call on the point of 'be respectful'.

besides, given how badly he was mauled by Aary sometime later, he's still not too hot at self defense.

Scow2

Quote from: danman on May 04, 2010, 03:04:06 PM
That does not add any points to him, does it?
Nor does it detract any.

Firstly i think Mao addressed the four conveniently reddened points already, in a way somewhat better than i could put together.
Not to mention the fact that genociding dragons who killed most of her clan, driven away Aniz in the effect ,and caused endless death and destruction to Cubi seems like a mighty good idea.
Genocide is not the answer, because not ALL dragons are equal in crimes against the 'Cubi. Race is a genetic thing determined by one's parents... it's not a political faction or nation or other homogeneous grouping. Do I need to go into a lecture on how Genocide is always wrong?

QuoteSecondly, Destania is generally someone you want to help to advance common good of CUBI, who abel doubtlessly is.
Can you prove that Destania is a boon to the 'cubi race? Also, Abel is an individual. 'Cubi are a race, not a political faction, nation, or other willful group entity. He has his own objectives, agendas, and definitions of what are best for him. He doesn't need Big Brother to tell him what's in his best interest.

QuoteNot to mention the only reason she is antagonistic towards abel somewhat (and even that i wouldn't be sure of  - otherwise she would do decisively less talking and more beating up) is that he, instead of helping her with a scheme good for both of them and requiring little effort of his side, just does nothing pretty much...
I don't see how Abel expending effort to aid some bitch he doesn't care about get revenge against a man he has no remaining issues with. Stopping Aniz isn't worth any of Abel's effort, because the psychopath isn't his responsibility, and he doesn't have any benefit for shutting him down. Leave those who give a damn to do it.

There is nothing to say it will not have an effect in the future... Aniz is not likely to stop with his plans, making more broken cubi in the process as the most likely outcome , and do not say that you reallistically consider that abel will stay in the academy forever....
None of that is Abel's concern... and Aniz has nothing left on Abel to control him.

Firstly if you call what Aary did "wrath and abuse" , or even better (sic) EXTORTION you have very , very "cushioned" definition of the term. Suffices to say that i hear such kind of arguing in my family pretty much every time (not hitting with riding crops)  i am there now, and we are not psychos.
People argue, when they do so, they say things bluntly and with anger as the topic is usually emotionally important to them.
Boo hoo, what a tragedy.
I was merely holding off any attempts for someone to claim "Abel would benefit stopping Aniz because then it would get Destania and Aaryanna off his back", not that they were currently extorting him. Right now, they seem to be venting at him because they know there's no way to get him to shut down Aniz now. His mother's dead, of natural causes. Abel stayed away not because he feared Aniz killing May, but feared May's reaction to his nature... Remember what Devin told him about his Mom? He feared that, not the guy who killed his best friend and turned his life completely upside down.

Heck, even the facecrop can be seen as  a valid response to his snark. And, for extortion, she would actually need to claim to do him something if he does not comply. Instead she is basically going on this way: Heya abel, lissn up! I really hate your father because he is a swine in more ways than you even know. I wanna kill him but it would be rly neat if i could get ya to help me, y'know as his son. I'm not forcing ya to do it, but if ya don't wanna help, stand out of me way or else!
So far, he has stayed out of her way. And his snarking was simply him telling her she had nothing to say to him, so has no reason to bother him. I don't think she has the legitimate jurisdiction to punish him for telling her to buzz off and leave him alone... all it does is make her into a Sadistic Genocidal Monsterous Bully with a Sexual Predator vibe... the kind of person who resorts to assaulting people simply for saying things they don't want to hear.

QuoteAnd in the end , the difference is that they are trying to do something for his good too  - as we saw with the episode with dreampip, as long as Aniz lives, and probably a bunch of years after, Abel cannot really separate of his past and live properly - it does, and will do haunt him
How do we know Aniz is still alive? And the dream sequence simply means he has PTSD over the death of Hennya. Stopping Aniz wouldn't have undone that tragedy. Whether Aniz is alive or not has nothing to do with Abel fearing he may be as unhinged as his father was. The damage was done before he arrived at SAIA. You are jumping to the conclusion that the reason Abel cannot move on from a traumatic moment is because Aniz and Abel are like Harry Potter and Voldemort's "None can live while the Other Survives" thing, when it's more likely Abel can't move on with his life because his brain is permanently fucked up on a chemical level from the severe trauma he suffered. If your hypothesis is correct, then it means we can cure a lot of real-world Veterans with PTSD by glassing Vietnam and North Korea...

@Turnsky: Abel isn't a good person. He's not a bad person either. Inaction isn't as bad as wrong action, though it's not as good as proper action. He has the right to refuse to help. He has no need to stand up to his father. In fact, a second meeting between the two would likely only result in Abel being indifferently defiant to the psychopath. Also... respect is overrated.

AGE00

Quote from: Turnsky on May 04, 2010, 10:23:49 PM
There is a quote, the only way for evil to succeed is for a good man to do nothing. I.e: Abel's inaction is just as bad as what Aniz has done in the past. Because he let it happen.

Then I take it you hold everyone else who could've stopped Aniz but didn't, such as Fa'Lina, equally responsible? Or does being a blood relative confer some sort of special judicial responsibility upon Abel?

Arcblade

Quote from: Pascal on May 04, 2010, 07:56:20 PM
Well, possibly because his mother was growing old and dying in that time.  And the last memories he has of her are bad ones, despite that he (seems to have) loved her very much, and she him.  Most people would find that reason enough to do something, I believe.  Although I'll grant I'm no expert.  

Meh. She would'a died anyway. Although it wasn't the case here, I wouldn't blame someone for wanting to make a clean break, as opposed to hanging around for decades and watching their mum slowly fall to bits.

Re-Edit: Besides which, that whole scene is just FUBAR. Nothin' he could ever do is going to make that all alright. As I said, better to go for a clean break rather than make a mess dragging it all out.

Of course she'd have died anyway.  Doesn't mean they couldn't have enjoyed what time they had left together.  Ending contact so soon would be a waste of good conversations, memories, and smiles, in my opinion.  If it was me, I'd rather watch my mom slowly age, and brighten her life in that time, rather than just ditch her because it'd be quicker and easier.  That's my take on it.

VAE

Quote from: Pascal on May 04, 2010, 10:38:18 PM
There is a quote, the only way for evil to succeed is for a good man to do nothing. I.e: Abel's inaction is just as bad as what Aniz has done in the past. Because he let it happen.

Then I take it you hold everyone else who could've stopped Aniz but didn't, such as Fa'Lina, equally responsible? Or does being a blood relative confer some sort of special judicial responsibility upon Abel?
A short trip to memory would have revealed that Fa'lina would indeed do it but she is caught up in high politics as one of the more important cubi around there . As lower downs, Abel , Aary and Dee can actually afford to do things she cannot due to being unimportant
Saphroneth

AGE00

Quote from: Arcblade on May 04, 2010, 10:38:46 PM
Quote from: Pascal on May 04, 2010, 07:56:20 PM

Of course she'd have died anyway.  Doesn't mean they couldn't have enjoyed what time they had left together.  Ending contact so soon would be a waste of good conversations, memories, and smiles, in my opinion.  If it was me, I'd rather watch my mom slowly age, and brighten her life in that time, rather than just ditch her because it'd be quicker and easier.  That's my take on it.

It's the way most people feel about the subject, and there's nothing wrong with it. However, it's not the only way to feel about it. At the end of the day, I guess I just feel that Abel is his own person, and entitled to run his life and his relationships as he chooses. He has no obligations to anyone.

Quote from: danman on May 04, 2010, 10:40:58 PM
Quote from: Pascal on May 04, 2010, 10:38:18 PM

A short trip to memory would have revealed that Fa'lina would indeed do it but she is caught up in high politics as one of the more important cubi around there . As lower downs, Abel , Aary and Dee can actually afford to do things she cannot due to being unimportant

In other words, she decided that her political considerations were more important than stopping a murderer. Practical, perhaps, but of dubious morality. Aary and Dee, of course, are quite capable of handling the matter, although they don't seem to have gotten around to it for some reason. I'm still not sure why it falls to a woefully inexperienced 'cubi with haemophobia to resolve the matter, though.