04/26/2010 [AS2 #99] Not very surprising

Started by MelSkunk, April 26, 2010, 01:44:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mao

So you came up with a scenario in your own head, played it out and used this to determine that she was evil?

joshofspam

Quote from: Mao Laoren on April 26, 2010, 10:36:50 AM
So you came up with a scenario in your own head, played it out and used this to determine that she was evil?

Well so for she hasn't said anything to disprove it.

Though her one saving grace of being honest isn't much comfort when she says the things she says.

This could be a one sided slant of view given Abel's comments on her, after all she didn't seem so evil when we have flashbacks of Dan and his mom. We don't know if she's evil now for sure but she generally plays for that side at least it seems when she is interacting with Able in the past.

If anything it's more of an interpretation of what we have learned thus for about Destinia in the past and it has been a while from her first meeting with Abel, so she might have had a slight change of heart since than. Though I don't know if that would be necessarily a good thing.

So when I say that "I can see why Abel thinks she's evil" I definitely mean I see why and not "Definitely is evil". The idea is based thus for on what we know and is not at all based on a certainly.

But what is in life?

I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Arcblade

Quote from: Mao Laoren on April 26, 2010, 07:45:19 AM
Oh I know what he was referring to, but the way he worded that first sentence is disturbing. :P

I wouldn't be too proud of 'calling' things.  Last I checked it annoyed folks.  Better to just sit back and bask in your call.

Oh darn.  Duly noted.  Apologies to any annoyed Ambers in the vicinity. 

Re: Destania's expression- I originally thought she looked irritated as well, but then I took a closer look at her mouth.  There's a quirk in her face off to our left that makes me think it's more of a sly expression or a smirk of amusement than a scowl. 

Anker Steadfast

Quote from: Mao Laoren on April 26, 2010, 05:24:17 AMYour spelling and grammar mistakes give me a moments pause here.. you make it sound like Dan might have the hots for his own mother and that's just not right.

You are absolutely right, it's not right ... because I totally forgot to put Abels name in there.
My fault really, I have edited it in, so it makes more sense now.
Sorry about that.

I could have sworn I wrote abels name in the original post though ... there must be gremlins about!

Quote from: Arcblade on April 26, 2010, 07:39:44 AMI think he's referring to the comic where Dan asked Abel what Destania was like at the academy.  I can't find the comic and don't have time to search, or I'd link it.

Yes, yes indeedy I was .. in fact I linked to it as well with the "hot for teacher" bit. But yes, you are absolutely correct.
What I failed to do, was add abels name in my post, which made the whole thing rather weird.

GAH - I have been lured into fiddling with forum tamagotchies.

jeffh4

One of these decades I'll try to list out the unanswered mysteries and questions in the plot that exist to date. 

One of them showed up here: Why was Abel so reluctant to go to the Twink Territories?  Possibly because he knew Destania was there (or was told so by Fa'Lina). 

Perhaps something will happen in the next few Abel's Stories that will tell us why Abel would be reluctant to meet Destania again.  Perhaps his knowing Dan would be some sort of leverage for her to force Abel into joining her revenge scheme.  Maybe she knows the same thing that forced Abel into leaving the Academy in the first place.

Anyway, we'll see.

Corgatha Taldorthar

Alternatively, he didn't want to leave Dan unprotected, especially since he thought Pyroduck would be staying at the inn.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Pvblivs

Well, it's not just Abel that thinks Destania is evil.  Fi thinks so as well.

Lego3400

Wow. That's all I can say about Dee. Just wow.

And that last panel looks like an amused smirk to me.

Madd the Sane

Idea: What if Destania being evil is an act. Although Cyra clan probably wasn't as big as Siar, being the sole surviving descendant had to have been traumatic to her. All her brothers and sisters gone, as well as their children. Probably was in stages other than all at once, but still...

I know, I know: :B
Get out of my mind, idea!  I already have an idea in here!
Don't you hate it when you have an idea, don't write it down, and forget it?

Rambon

Quote from: jeffh4 on April 26, 2010, 03:32:37 PM
One of them showed up here: Why was Abel so reluctant to go to the Twink Territories?  Possibly because he knew Destania was there (or was told so by Fa'Lina). 

I thought it was because he didn't want an unknown and possibly dangerous dragon (Pyro, and who can blame Abel? It's not like Fa'Lina actually name the one nice dragon) to say with Dan unsupervised.

joshofspam

Quote from: Pvblivs on April 26, 2010, 04:11:49 PM
Well, it's not just Abel that thinks Destania is evil.  Fi thinks so as well.

I'm beginning to suspect evil is a matter of where a creature stands.

I suspect the cubi race might have had more infighting with other clans about certain issues that they may not agree with than any other creature race.

I wonder if the dragons attacked during a heated argument between the clans?

VAE

I like the way Dee looks utterly bored by Abel's comments, as if thinking  - this phase will soon be over, but how i wish it was over NOW!

Hmm, leather garbs are not my mustard-glass of tea
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Arcblade

I always thought that was more because Abel was afraid to leave Dan alone with Pyroduck... a dragon, after all.  And for some reason, the dragons have it in for clan Cyra. 

RandomMetaphysics

Quote from: Arcblade on April 26, 2010, 06:02:46 PM

I always thought that was more because Abel was afraid to leave Dan alone with Pyroduck... a dragon, after all.  And for some reason, the dragons have it in for clan Cyra. 

If I recall correctly, Destania and Biggs are working to end the dragon race. The dragons seem to know this.
However, since apparently Cyra's ascension sparked the war, one could argue that this is the primary cause her clan is despised by the dragons. (http://www.missmab.com/Demo/Leader10.php)

I don't think so. It appears (to me) that Abel just didn't want to go. It looks like Abel's primary concern is keeping Dan safe and teaching him the basics about his Cubi abilities.

His response to anything else is a slash from his rapier wit, or a deadpan.

Arcblade

Quote from: RandomMetaphysics on April 26, 2010, 06:42:08 PM
Quote from: Arcblade on April 26, 2010, 06:02:46 PM

If I recall correctly, Destania and Biggs are working to end the dragon race. The dragons seem to know this.
However, since apparently Cyra's ascension sparked the war, one could argue that this is the primary cause her clan is despised by the dragons. (http://www.missmab.com/Demo/Leader10.php)

Yeah... my guess is that Cyra drained a few dragon souls somehow for her ascension.  But it's pure speculation, of course.   :)

Brownie

Quote from: Anker Steadfast on April 26, 2010, 03:34:26 AM
One does start to apprechiate why Dan though Abel might have the hots for Destania, in a hot for teacher kinda way.
Though Dan's imagination regarding her outfit, isn't up to par with reality.

:D

Edit :
Forgot to put Abel in there.  :B

Aww..Cute Abel is cute.
GYAH! The gay for Abel is truly beginning to kick in!

On topic now...
Yea, I think I will just sit here and agree with everyone who has typed in before me.
-Destania looks great
-Abel looks Anrgy/Fed up
-Vengeful tea and evil pastries sound delicious.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Arcblade on April 26, 2010, 11:34:03 AM
Re: Destania's expression- I originally thought she looked irritated as well, but then I took a closer look at her mouth.  There's a quirk in her face off to our left that makes me think it's more of a sly expression or a smirk of amusement than a scowl.  

Yes.  On the right side of her face (left side of picture) there's a mark on her cheek.  It looked rather like the cut Aniz gave her, which she might have deliberately kept for various psychologically-broken reasons.  I thought it was this at first, and that would make her look annoyed.

However, if you draw a line between the 'scar' and her mouth, the 'scar' becomes the corner of her mouth and her expression becomes one of amusement, which on balance seems more likely.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Mao

Quote from: joshofspam on April 26, 2010, 11:06:10 AM

So when I say that "I can see why Abel thinks she's evil" I definitely mean I see why and not "Definitely is evil". The idea is based thus for on what we know and is not at all based on a certainly. 

The point I was more making that, from your post, you played out a scenario in your own head and used that to call her evil when there's plenty of other resources that point to her morals being quite different from the mainstream.  As for the rest of it, I think you had it pegged pretty well:  Evil is relative to one's point of view.  I could go on and on about the finer philosophical aspects of this but simply put: to the starving man, stealing that bread isn't evil, it's a necessity.  In fact, he likely considers it evil that he's punished so for only trying to survive.  This is the most common argument for this sort of discussion, forgive me for abusing it once more, but I think it fits.  Each is doing their best to survive and to ensure their own safety and happiness.  Even if it requires doing some things that some others might consider 'evil'.

joshofspam

Quote from: Mao Laoren on April 27, 2010, 07:38:41 AM
Quote from: joshofspam on April 26, 2010, 11:06:10 AM

The point I was more making that, from your post, you played out a scenario in your own head and used that to call her evil when there's plenty of other resources that point to her morals being quite different from the mainstream.  As for the rest of it, I think you had it pegged pretty well:  Evil is relative to one's point of view.  I could go on and on about the finer philosophical aspects of this but simply put: to the starving man, stealing that bread isn't evil, it's a necessity.  In fact, he likely considers it evil that he's punished so for only trying to survive.  This is the most common argument for this sort of discussion, forgive me for abusing it once more, but I think it fits.  Each is doing their best to survive and to ensure their own safety and happiness.  Even if it requires doing some things that some others might consider 'evil'.

I remember a movie that used that scenario.

The poor man that is arrested for stealing bred for his family and escapes.

The warden goes after him and the only noticeable characteristics of the man are his branding and his ability to lift heavy things with pure determination.

So when the warden finally finds him, his view on the man changes and I think that he had a poor set view if you broke the law you are a blight to society and deserved to be locked up.

At the end having his view put in doubt, along with going against his very point of view of life and acting against his own view of the laws he enforced he jumps of the bridge rather then deal with the guilt and shame of letting the man go.

I wonder if that story was ever a book before it was a movie?

Arcblade

Quote from: joshofspam on April 27, 2010, 09:11:31 AM
I remember a movie that used that scenario.

The poor man that is arrested for stealing bred for his family and escapes.

The warden goes after him and the only noticeable characteristics of the man are his branding and his ability to lift heavy things with pure determination.

So when the warden finally finds him, his view on the man changes and I think that he had a poor set view if you broke the law you are a blight to society and deserved to be locked up.

At the end having his view put in doubt, along with going against his very point of view of life and acting against his own view of the laws he enforced he jumps of the bridge rather then deal with the guilt and shame of letting the man go.

I wonder if that story was ever a book before it was a movie?

Oh that's, um...  Les Miserables!   Yes, there's a novel as well as a musical.  As well as at least 10 movie adaptations, according to Wikipedia. 

Scrap Fish

It also was the best running Broadway play ever, right? It's been running for, like, the last twenty-five years.

Just spreading the confusion around. There's enough for everybody!

VAE

I really like the Master of the house song, although in the czech version the text, it is much better.
is called "hlava mazana" (clever head) I saw it in a silvestre program .
Really fiits the way business is done!
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Bjalf

Quote from: Scrap Fish on April 27, 2010, 09:51:10 AM
It also was the best running Broadway play ever, right? It's been running for, like, the last twenty-five years.

Nope, beaten by 2 other shows.

Perhaps understandable. I'd rather watch a show about cats than about people being miserable.

Mao

And yet here you are commenting on a comic that is about both.

VAE

Quote from: Mao Laoren on April 27, 2010, 10:23:18 AM
The only time miserable people show in this comic is when Amber does a filler.
At least if we are to believe her
Saphroneth

null0010

not like it was terribly complicated, but here is Destania cleaned up:

Bjalf

Of course! I love anthropomorphic cats. And the misery here is sporadic and often humorous, much preferable to the sad, drawn-out misery so lovingly described in supposedly great literature.

If I wanted to experience misery, I'd read newspapers or watch the news. I don't, so I read DMFA instead.

VAE

Quote from: Bjalf on April 27, 2010, 10:37:41 AM

Of course! I love anthropomorphic cats. And the misery here is sporadic and often humorous, much preferable to the sad, drawn-out misery so lovingly described in supposedly great literature.

If I wanted to experience misery, I'd read newspapers or watch the news. I don't, so I read DMFA instead.
A lot of IRL misery is entertaining too.Sometimes even when you participate
Saphroneth

AmigaDragon

Quote from: Kuari on April 26, 2010, 06:25:05 AM
Quote from: InsanityRequiem on April 26, 2010, 02:27:26 AM
Hawt Destania is hawt.

And on the Destania note, she's looking pretty peeved at Abel those last few sentences.

Peeved?  Looks more like smug and amused to me.

Though at first she looks a bit more bored.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Caswin

Quote from: DamarisThis is the most freaking civil "flame war" I have ever seen in my life.
Yap yap.