[Art] Arroyo's Artz and Craftz (as of 2/26/11) This is still here?)

Started by Arroyo Milori, March 16, 2009, 05:51:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arroyo Milori

Random eye doodles

I got bored, happens a lot : L

Also, A slight Revision of "Brocken Spectre"

Of course I will try to make it look much neater when inking it.

Arroyo Milori

Brocken Reference sheet

Sword reference sheet. Not very pretty but it does the trick. :3

Also new FA account! Its on the First post!

WhiteFox

Is it intentionally spelled "Brocken," or should it be "Broken?"
This is my pencil. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My pencil is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life...

Arroyo Milori

Quote from: WhiteFox on September 05, 2010, 10:39:03 PM
Is it intentionally spelled "Brocken," or should it be "Broken?"
It isn't mispelt. Though Prototype might coin the term "Broken Spectre" for a little bit of humor :3c

Arroyo Milori

Arroyo Milori

Arroyo Milori

Inumo

Reminds me of the Miku Hatsune song Love is War...

Arroyo Milori

Quote from: Inumo on September 20, 2010, 06:58:16 PM
Reminds me of the Miku Hatsune song Love is War...
I guess it's safe to say I got the idea from that song. : D

WhiteFox

"I sound my barbaric yawp over the rooftops of the world."
— Walt Whitman

The perspective on the chain/post doesn't line up with the background. The angle of the bull horn doesn't match itself, either.

I like the bold shadows; they add impact. I like the pose, too. It really looks like she's putting her weight into it. It compliments the facial expression well.

The arm holding the bullhorn seems kind of stiff. Lifting the elbow would give it more tension.
This is my pencil. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My pencil is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life...

Arroyo Milori

Quote from: WhiteFox on September 22, 2010, 10:05:31 PM
"I sound my barbaric yawp over the rooftops of the world."
— Walt Whitman

The perspective on the chain/post doesn't line up with the background. The angle of the bull horn doesn't match itself, either.

I like the bold shadows; they add impact. I like the pose, too. It really looks like she's putting her weight into it. It compliments the facial expression well.

The arm holding the bullhorn seems kind of stiff. Lifting the elbow would give it more tension.
It's a definite idea will revisit someday. I'll keep this in mind for next time : D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step-by-step Tierra sketch
Cause I thought that showing the steps I take drawing my characters might help me understand where I went wrong anatomy-wise.
And a Massive sketch dump!

WhiteFox

I can't really comment on the proportions... cartoony figures are kind of arbitrary that way.

The hips and torso seem to be laid out using 2-dimensional shapes; adding a shape for the ribcage and pelvis would help give definition to the body, and make it easier to draw the figure from other angles and in other poses.

I do have one suggestion, but it's not a pleasant prospect. Studying real human anatomy, particularly the bones and muscles, would make a huge difference. I'm sure there are ways to tweak the simplified shapes in the first step for more lifelike results, but spheres and cylinders will only go so far.

I could redline the pic, if you like.

I find sketch dumps neat... it's fun to see experimental stuff.

Arroyo Milori

Quote from: WhiteFox on September 29, 2010, 03:04:56 AM
I can't really comment on the proportions... cartoony figures are kind of arbitrary that way.

The hips and torso seem to be laid out using 2-dimensional shapes; adding a shape for the ribcage and pelvis would help give definition to the body, and make it easier to draw the figure from other angles and in other poses.

I do have one suggestion, but it's not a pleasant prospect. Studying real human anatomy, particularly the bones and muscles, would make a huge difference. I'm sure there are ways to tweak the simplified shapes in the first step for more lifelike results, but spheres and cylinders will only go so far.

I could redline the pic, if you like.

I find sketch dumps neat... it's fun to see experimental stuff.
there's no stopping ya : D

WhiteFox

Quote from: Arroyo Milori on September 29, 2010, 03:28:39 PM
there's no stopping ya : D

Well, I never do something like this without getting permission first.

I R UNSTOPPABLE!

Ahem.

I'm going to go kinda in-depth here. I figured that I might as well give you everything I got, and you could take as long as you like to go over it. I did, however, keep the focus on places where the anatomy affects the actual appearance of the figure.

Also... let me note that I'm not a professional at this. I might be wrong in a few places.

Bones:

(A) Skulls are fun to draw.
(B) The bones of the elbow make a bump when bent, and a dimple when straightened.
(C) The lower end of the ribcage makes the torso curve outward slightly.
(D) The upper edge of the pelvis makes a bump at the hip. (Or a dimple, if the person has reeeely developed oblique muscles.)
(E) The socket of he femur is level with the inseam. ("inseam" being my polite term for groin). Good to know when posing the leg in different ways.
(F) The end of the collar bone makes a dimple or a bump, depending on the pose of the arm and the muscle build of the figure.

Muscles:

(1) The pectoral muscles extend from the centre of the ribcage and collar bone, and all in to the armpit.
(1.a) Deltoids: At a certain point on the collarbone, the muscles don't stop at the armpit, and continue on down the arm: that point lies up with the outside of the sternomastoid (neck) muscle. Sorta. Mostly. I think.
(The little diagram there was drawn in one line: across, down, then zigzags for the muscle. I scribble one of those in the margins whenever I'm having a hard time drawing a shoulder).
(2) Abdominal muscles extend from the chest down to the inseam. These make a crease along the belly.
(3) Obliques: Between the bottom of the ribcage and the top of the hip, these bulge out a bit from the side.
(4) Brachioradials: Most of the muscle mass of the forearm is on the upper half, but you already knew that. The two muscles form a crease called the ulnar trench. It'll change position/direction depending on how the arm is twisted. (...Aaaand I just noticed that the line between the two muscle groups is in the wrong place. See (4) in the next diagram.)
(5) The trapezius muscles go from the base of the skull, down the back and out across the shoulder. Drawing them slightly concave or convex makes the shoulder line look more natural. It should be pointed out that this is one spots where muscles attached to the back of a figure are visible from the front. There are two others of note.
(6) The muscles on the inside of the back of the thigh go halfway down the femur. Again, these muscles are on the back of the figure but they're visible from the front. leaving these out makes a gap between the legs at the inseam.
(7) For the sake of completeness... the Latissimus dorsi is the third muscle of note. Paying attention to this spot goes a long way towards making torsos look three-dimensional: The pecs and deltoids go ontop of the bicep, and the bicep goes on top of the lats. This creates a layering effect.

...Dang, that is one smexy little diagram.

Surface:
Note: The arm on the left looks reeeely beefy, because I exaggerated some of the muscle definition for demonstration purposes. The arm on the right is not so exaggerated.

Muscles overlap and mesh with each other. One of the best tricks for drawing them is to look for Ys and Ts. Good examples of these are at (1) and (11).

(1) Deltoids go about a third of the way down the bicep.
(2) There's a convex spot where the bicep roots to the eblow.
(3) Corner of elbow joint sticking out.
(4) Ulnar furrow.
(5) Curve made by the ribcage and it's muscles.
(6) Crease at the armpit. Note that there's two here: One made by the curvature of the top of the breast, the other by the pectroal and deltoid muscles. Figures may have one or the other or both, depending on their physical build and their pose. And gender. (Dang it... I don't like how they look here. Argh.)
(7) Crease of the abdominal muscle.
(8 ) Protrusion of the hip. 
(9) Crease between the bicep and the deltoid. The bicep comes out from under the deltoid.
(10) Crease created by the ribcage. I added it here just to say that it shouldn't be there, because it is very rarely visible, unless the character is bending backwards. Or anorexic.
(11) Crease of the thigh muscles.
(12) This pose raises the shoulder, which flexes the traps, angles the collar bone upward, and creates an indentation between the deltoid and the trapezius.

The way you draw faces is highly stylized, so I'm not sure if thats something you want to change or not. I figured it wouldn't hurt to include the following points on facial anatomy, since it's all good to know.
(13) A touch of curve on the side of the muzzle.
(13.1) Small indent where the upper and lower lips meet.
(13.2) A slight slope at the bridge of the nose. Also note the Y there.
(13.3) The cheekbone and brow protrude a bit from the side of the head.
(13.4) Corner of the jaw is level with the mouth.

This one looks weird. Does it look weird? I  think it looks weird. :B

Anyway... I hope this helps.

(Note to self: It's 5:30AM! Go to bed already!)

Arroyo Milori

Legs were always a problem for me, especially thighs. Though I am trying to work on the face more, it's a bit of trial and error when stylizing and still working on it. Hopefully the face will eventually turn out to look the correct way it should. I also gotta keep in mind that I do draw characters with different builds (Tierra being practically normal, Citrine being muscular, ect.) let alone different species.

Your help is very welcomed and will keep in mind these notes for future drawlingz :B

WhiteFox

Quote from: Arroyo Milori on October 03, 2010, 10:43:35 PM
Legs were always a problem for me, especially thighs.
Personally, I hate feet more then hands and faces combined.  :<

Though I am trying to work on the face more, it's a bit of trial and error when stylizing and still working on it.
It's all trial and error. The moment an artists work stops being experimental, it becomes stagnant.

I also gotta keep in mind that I do draw characters with different builds (Tierra being practically normal, Citrine being muscular, ect.) let alone different species.
I heartily applaud you, good sir. It drives me nuts when artists never bother to learn how to draw more then one body type/species.

Your help is very welcomed and will keep in mind these notes for future drawlingz :B
I just hope it helps... Good luck

Arroyo Milori

Now to change things up a bit!

Pyro's Brain Slug Sprite

Cute little bugger isn't he? Too bad he's not all that noticeable in-game. : <

Also, debating whether or not if I should make a quick mini reference for Tierra and Devyn. Yes or no?

And who should I begin with?

Arroyo Milori

Icon batch: Arroyo and Tierra
I might do commissions (ATs for close friends) for these icons. I might do another batch as an example.

arroyo sprite sheet as of (10/9/10) (NSFW?)
Anddd a sprite sheet...yay~ Yeah not much on it. I don't like making sprites as I use to but I still do it to relief myself of boredom. Hopefully I'll get around to doing more different poses (than just doing random arm poses)

WhiteFox

If that top version of the sprites is naked, might want to make it a url tag instead of an img, and mark it NSFW. Not that anything is visible, but... you know. As a matter of protocol.

Considering it's a sprite, there's quite a bit of detail there. Particularly on the outfit and hair.

Are you going to do any animations for it?

Arroyo Milori

Quote from: WhiteFox on October 10, 2010, 05:06:49 PM
If that top version of the sprites is naked, might want to make it a url tag instead of an img, and mark it NSFW. Not that anything is visible, but... you know. As a matter of protocol.

Considering it's a sprite, there's quite a bit of detail there. Particularly on the outfit and hair.

Are you going to do any animations for it?
Most likely, that's why I make sprites nowadays. Sprite comics are a low form of comicing and it's too much work to make a 100% custom sprite comic with backgrounds from scratch and such.

However making a colorful assortment of poses will be tricky, seeing that some poses will require foreshortening of the body and such.

Plus the sprites aren't showing anything naughty (unless you consider pubic fur naughty) so I dunno what the forum's policy is on clean nudity.

llearch n'n'daCorna

The forum's Official Policy is "play it safe"

Case in point: At least one person I'm aware of has a job that would object to artistic pictures of women in full clothing, if the clothing is tight. That particular job is, IMHO, excessively anal-retentive, but having said that, it's someone else's livelihood we're working with here, so if you err on the side of caution, everyone is happy.

Does that help?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Mao

I love my job.. but the rules are brutal by time. ;_;

Arroyo Milori

kept everything in a link so it doesn't stretch the page in a ridiculous fashion.

Profile doodle
The arm gave me trouble on this. plus i haven't drawn a profile of anything in a while.

Gaia avatar headshot for October 2010
Zombie scarecrow. What else can you say about it? Oh wait, this was my first attempt at a human skull : D

WhiteFox

Profile Doodle:
In human proportions, the neck is about 2/3rds as deep as the head is. The figure here has a neck about 1/4th as deep as the head, which reduces the depth of the chest. This in turn reduces the width of the shoulder and pushes it forward. It also flattens the spine, which normally curves out a bit at the base of the neck, and back in at the lower ribcage. The head itself looks about the right size, and the front of the neck seems to be in about the right place.

That's the thing about proportions... changing the size of one thing can change the size of everything else:B

The chest usually comes out a bit from the collar bone down, and the sternum lines up with the front of the face (not accounting for a furry muzzle, that is).

The shoulder is actually placed pretty far back. In profile, the front of the shoulder lines up with the middle of the torso.

Headshot:
I said skulls were fun to draw, didn't I?  :3 Looks cool.

Arroyo Milori

Landscape quick sketch

Googled some random landscape and decided to do a quick sketch of it, I still need work on stairs : E

Arroyo Milori

Emotion Request 1
Emotion Request 2
Random Requests I did for some people on FA. Think I could have done a bit better.

Random Arroyo head practice
Wanted to alter his look a bit so, I played around with the eyes and junk.

WhiteFox

ER 1-2: The muzzles are much less blocky looking than usual.
Random Arroyo head: I like the chin in the profile.

Interesting developments... It looks like you're making some good progress. Very cool.

Arroyo Milori

Jamballon~

AKA jellyfish balloon <3

I should probably draw something awesome to make up for this much "Kawaii" going on.

Arroyo Milori

WhiteFox

Gravity sketches: I swear... not enough artists practice this stuff.
   I notice the eyes and muzzle are looking less blocky, and the mouth has more definition to it. That little indent for the lips on the bottom left drawing is a nice little detail.
   In human proportions (and animal ones too, I think... not certain for sure) the corner of the jaw lines up vertically with the front of the ear. The ears are set farther back, but the eyes are extra large, so it'd probably look alright there without having to move anything around.
   The hair looks good as far as being affected by gravity goes. The shape of it seems like a flat surface, rather than strands.
   The ears on the two drawings on the left seem like they're not quite placed right... Hold on.
   (Turns laptop sideways for a moment)
   Actually, the lower one looks okay if the ears were being flattened back. The position of the top two don't match up: in the drawing on the left, the lower point of the ear is level with the middle of the eye instead of being slightly above the eyebrow, and the upper side is above the corner of the eye, rather than the middle of the eye. Same goes for the part of the hair.
   When eyes are relaxed or neutral, the upper lid covers over just a tiny bit of the pupil. Characters look wired if the eyelid is higher. Which, really, might be the intended effect. Just thought I'd point it out.