(Costuming) Update Can you hear me now? Cyber ear

Started by thegayhare, February 23, 2009, 08:36:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thegayhare

Hi Hi all
I've decided to redesign my Cyborgs eyes completly after a discussion with my sister over the placement of my last set of goggles

http://www.furaffinity.net/full/2025818/

So I've elected for a more Wrap around type.

The majority of it will be painted silver and the parts with the tape over it will be black. I'm planning to use a number of lights inside the eye piece to give the look of sensors working.

The basic unit is a gallon water jug with a power box on one end and a computer vent on the other

http://www.furaffinity.net/full/2025843/

as part of my facial redesign I've been toying with a few differnt sensor placement possibilities.

In the finished version these lights will be inside the mask I just placed them outside as a reference. the triangular ones are chase LEDs and basically rotate along the outside of the unit. the others are simple flashers (interestingly because of the type I used these tend to turn on and off at random so it should make for an interesting effect.

I was hoping you folks might be willing to help me decide which placement would look best.

In the first I have the triangle set up to form a figure 8 of sorts with the flashers in a basic square

the second one uses a single hazard as a central eye with a V pattern to the flashers

and the third uses a two eyed look to the hazard lights with cental and extreme outside flashers

GabrielsThoughts

THere seems to be a design flaw in your cyber suit and I'm not sure if I'm the only one to spot it. For starters...how are you planning to see? is there some crude mirror or digital  set up that I've missed somewhare in the design of your mask? Are you planning to be lead around by a blind seeing eye dog....like in arested development. Will this be like head gear, a crown or something that get;s pulled down over your face  when you're shaking hands?

clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

llearch n'n'daCorna

See, other than GT's very good question, I'd be inclined to use the chasers as eyes and then spread the flashers into a smile. Or possibly a frown.

Obviously, the smile won't be noticeable until you watch for a while. Sort of a visual easter egg, as it were...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

thegayhare

Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on February 23, 2009, 10:59:47 PM
THere seems to be a design flaw in your cyber suit and I'm not sure if I'm the only one to spot it. For starters...how are you planning to see? is there some crude mirror or digital  set up that I've missed somewhare in the design of your mask? Are you planning to be lead around by a blind seeing eye dog....like in arested development. Will this be like head gear, a crown or something that get;s pulled down over your face  when you're shaking hands?

LOL
Nope this will be on full time and I should be able to see fine

Like I said the tape is there temporarily  I'm spray painting later on.  I'm then going to cut a veiwing slot and cover that with some semi transparent material (not sure just what to use yet) and the rest of the non silver area will have some black material affixed to it on the inside of the mask.

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on February 24, 2009, 04:28:26 AM
See, other than GT's very good question, I'd be inclined to use the chasers as eyes and then spread the flashers into a smile. Or possibly a frown.

Obviously, the smile won't be noticeable until you watch for a while. Sort of a visual easter egg, as it were...

Hmm I hadn't thought of that... for some reason that makes me think of Jailbot *chuckles*

thegayhare

http://www.furaffinity.net/full/2032237/

Hello all

I just finished painting the shell

I haven't done any work on the guts of the eyes yet simply because I need a few things before I can start.

I'm looking for some cheap safty glasses (thats what the electronics will be attached too) a hinge and 4 bolts just the right size bu it shouldn't be to hard to get those once the roads are clear (friggin snow storm and the god damn 2 feet of frigun snow)

thegayhare

http://www.furaffinity.net/full/2034601/

I haven't heard much feedback on the eyes so far but I'm gonna keep plugging away at this thing till I get them right

My latest update features the light set up as well as a hinge for easy access to the switches and battereis

LionHeart

"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

llearch n'n'daCorna

Buhnny. ;-]

Loving the eye setup, TGH. Last time I looked for this, FA was down...

thegayhare

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on February 26, 2009, 01:20:18 PM
Buhnny. ;-]

Loving the eye setup, TGH. Last time I looked for this, FA was down...

Thats understandable hon

FA goes down more then I do (Badum tish)

anyway do you think I have enough lights hon?  thereis still plrenty of space inside but I don't want to go overboard...

anyway thanks I'm gonna do some small works but I don't have anything big till my sis gets back with the hardhat liners  so probably a week or two till my next up date

llearch n'n'daCorna

It's hard to say without seeing the lights on, but if you have too many, it's going to make the inside of the mask too bright and you won't be able to see out.

Kipiru

I think it's fine the way it is now with the lights- more and you risk it getting overboard!

GabrielsThoughts

are they blinky lights? no self respecting cyborg can go without  blinky lights.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Ah, he needs to memorise this:

ACHTUNG - ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das Machine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren musten keepen das cotten-pickenen hands in das pockets - relaxen und watchen das blinkenlights.

thegayhare

I'm thinking of putting in one more thing on the head

I'm thinking of getting a cheep watch with a lighted face  and setting it inside the eyes in a spot so I can see it easily but will be out of my direct line of sight

GabrielsThoughts

ok, I know this is pushing the limits but I'm thinking a  pipe cleaner or hose dohicky with a mechanical eye(s) or something coming out of the  your head like an flower stocks  or tentacles that you can maneuver around with fishing wire or balck thread...I might draw something later so that you can get a better idea of what I'm thinking. definitely an not earth based cyborg though   

thegayhare

Hi Hi all

I know I said it might be awhile till my next update but this realy isn't an update so much

since the last few pics realy couldn't give you an Idea on how the lights looked I thought you might like to see this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc4gMU9ryg0

Unfortunately do to the random nature of the car flashers one side realy doesn't light up for this turn round

but anyway how does that look

My sister thinks it may be still to preditory a look but I think with the wider aperture It could easily be a bunny

in other news doing some busy work till my head gets together... worked on the air system and my furry arm but nothing woth photoing

LionHeart

Looks good.

I hope you can still see with all the lights going.
"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

thegayhare

Quote from: LionHeart on March 02, 2009, 03:01:29 AM
Looks good.

I hope you can still see with all the lights going.

Oh yeah I can see fine... It's a little dim through the faceplate but thats okay...

I'm surprised at how good the rotating lights look

I didn't realizes that they seem to move at different speeds before but I think it looks pretty cool

thegayhare

Hi Hi all

Just a little update

I finished the rough form of my mechanical bunny ear

http://www.furaffinity.net/view/2089151/

I'll have one fuzzy ear and one metal one

thats the metal one

It needs alittle more work before painting but I think it's pretty cool