02/16/09 [DMFA #973] - piddle self and run

Started by Lisky, February 15, 2009, 10:52:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Feather Dancer

Badass Dan is seriously badass, dude he's shot up my favourite character list (Which ironically was msotly female) with this one :O

And God can you imagine Aary? She'd be squealing like a fangirl right now. Sure it's a demon and not a being BUT IT'S PROGRESS.
Notalope, making all worries as tasty as pineapples.

Dard

Two things came to my mind today:

1) Another day, another word learned. "Piddle" (I had to look it up)
2) Does Regina have a tongue piercing? (last panel)

Zate

Dan apparently cannot even leave the room without getting into trouble. Seems like he is the trouble here, though.

AmigaDragon

Quote from: Jairus on February 15, 2009, 11:18:43 PM
Quote from: AndersW on February 15, 2009, 11:15:32 PM
I have to ask, what is the webcast game thing that Amber mentioned in her rant.

And my response to the comic.   :U :erk :boogie :eager
This one.

And I never understood that "if you kill him, you will be just like him" trope. Dan is fully justified in killing Regina for murdering innocent beings and planning to kill more, whereas Dan only kills when he has to. And write now, I can't think very clearly for some reason, so I'll have to come back to this in a bit.

1.  What does that video have to do with anything? When I looked last night it looked like some kind of virtual photo shoot, not any kind of game I've ever heard of.
2.  Some kind of revenge or punishment for a killing spree doesn't itself necessarily have to take the form of killing. Other forms could be instilling fear (accomplished, piddle commencing), causing pain, imprisonment, servitude (currently serving Kria)...

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 16, 2009, 04:53:12 AM
Quote from: Madmann135 on February 16, 2009, 04:48:11 AM
4 - He's carving into a stone column with a talon.
Is he going to pay for fixing that?

As long as it doesn't do structural damage, Kria might just think it adds character to the decor.

Quote from: Amber Williams on February 16, 2009, 11:46:51 AM
In regards to the choice of using piddle instead of piss...thats pretty much what it is: a choice. As shown before, I have used to the word piss before...
As some peeps pointed out, Regina is in some ways a bit childish so it seemed more in character for her to use the word piddle than piss.

That and piddle is a hilarious word to say to me. Piddle piddle piddle. :U

We always used "piddle" when talking about puppies, so that goes along with the immature idea, lacking in self control when scared/startled/excited.

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 16, 2009, 12:11:52 PM
Quote from: Michael Chandra on February 16, 2009, 12:10:32 PM
Not to mention he's been taught how to hide them. And he can make them go pacman! Wokka wokka!
That was the headwings - the tentacles are probably more complex.

It's the same thing, part of his anatomy. The complex part is that there's more of them to shape and control.
One thing I've been wondering, Since the tentacle heads appear to have eyes, is he consciously aware of any sight through them (yet)? He must have at least some subconscious level of vision awareness through them since they were helping to find coffee filters at one point.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Tapewolf

Quote from: Madmann135 on February 16, 2009, 01:32:40 PM
Wing tentacles work on the subconscious level. 
Almost.  They do initially, but they can also be driven consciously.  If you create more than about 4, you have to control them consciously and it takes more effort and concentration the more you create.
The wing-tentacles stroking Matilda, or fetching the filters were unconscious.  His summoning them and turning them into shadow-puppets was voluntary.  The question is, are the wing tentacles we're seeing in this strip summoned and controlled voluntarily?  I suspect so, given Dan's "Among other things." line.

Quote from: AmigaDragon on February 16, 2009, 01:43:42 PM
One thing I've been wondering, Since the tentacle heads appear to have eyes, is he consciously aware of any sight through them (yet)? He must have at least some subconscious level of vision awareness through them since they were helping to find coffee filters at one point.
I don't know.  Amber has said that they can see, and that Dan will be able to see through them (and that one of his problems was that he's essentially grown 8 more eyes, which is screwing his brain over).  I'm not sure he's reached that level of expertise yet, though.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Michael Chandra

I always considered the four a kind of familiar. =) They're cute, cuddly, help in their own special ways and are perfectly willing to fight.

Remember when they were smoking in Wildy's story? That was fun. ^_^

Edit: @Dard: Well, one shot in her mouth available is #968, there definitely seems to be something there. Not sure if it's just her teeth pointing up though.

tikitori

I loved the 'piddle' choice, still makes me giggle thinking about Regina thinking that. I think 'piss' wouldn't have as much as an effect. On me, maybe, I'm 5 inside.  :U

Dekari

I have an interesting idea of how the next few panels could go...though I don't think Amber is going to go this way.

*Kira enters room*

Kira: Dan, whatever it is my Second-Niece did, I'm sure we can just talk it over.  (true, may be extremely out of character for her, but it's a good set up for the next part)

Dan: *still angry as hell* Your what?

*Mental diagram in Dan's mind*
Regina = evil...Regina related to Kira
Lorenda related to Kria...Lorenda = Demon?
Lorenda = friend...Friend who was demon betrayed and hurt my friends
Potential repeat of history = more anger

Or something to that extent.

Edit: Doh, forgot that Dan already knows Kira is a demon.
I somehow get the feeling that you didn't think your cunning plan all the way through.

Thanks go to Kipiru and Rhyfe for the art work used in avatars.

http://drakedekari.deviantart.com/

Cvstos

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 16, 2009, 07:56:48 AM
I don't suppose there's any chance of an Evil Death Dan wallpaper or something?

I second this! It would make a great wallpaper!
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them." - Albert Einstein

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." -Albert Einstein

Jer-oh-me

Looks like Dan took a level in badass there.

I think we'll see some awesome coming up, I don't like to speculate, so I won't assume anything. After all, I don't know what happened with these two before.

Jairus

Quote from: Jer-oh-me on February 16, 2009, 03:38:35 PM

I think we'll see some awesome coming up, I don't like to speculate, so I won't assume anything. After all, I don't know what happened with these two before.
Offhand, I'd say we have a general idea. Whatever happened beyond the basics, we know it's bad enough that Dan is feeling murderous towards her and currently has no second thoughts about it. So, probably not much lovey-dovey between them.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Psy-Kosh

Regina? I'd like to introduce you to Consequences. Consequences, Regina. Regina, Consequences. I'm sure the two of you will get on splendidly.

Quote from: tikitori on February 16, 2009, 02:06:12 PM
I loved the 'piddle' choice, still makes me giggle thinking about Regina thinking that. I think 'piss' wouldn't have as much as an effect. On me, maybe, I'm 5 inside.  :U

Well, then I am too, then. :) I really don't think "piss self" would even fit with her final facial expression.
Quote from: Jer-oh-me on February 16, 2009, 03:38:35 PM

Yeah, and as others have pointed out, Dan was already pretty badass, despite his goofy demeanor.

So it's more like "Serious badass has taken several additional levels of badass"

Tapewolf

Quote from: Dard on February 16, 2009, 01:40:20 PM

If not, I'm sure Dan will be happy to arrange it.

Ragesquid

I noticed that, too; but going back through this arc, and the wallpaper war, I didn't see anything. *shrug*

Corgatha Taldorthar

There are a few other shots of Regina with her mouth open in the kitchen, and no evidence of a piercing. Best shot I could find.

Edit. Something occured to me while I was digging. Has anyone else noticed that the color of the fur on patches of Regina's face seem to change color from white to off white to a faint pink, or is that just me?
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

M

I know everyone's said it but I have to say it too. Dan looks so freakin' awesome in the fourth panel.

Tapewolf

SpottedKitty

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 16, 2009, 04:04:46 PM

If not, I'm sure Dan will be happy to arrange it.
Along with several-other-parts-of-her-body piercings, if he can just remember what Aaryanna said about sharp pointy tentacles... although given what he's doing to that pillar, he's figuring it out quickly.

Hmm... I don't think anyone's said anything about this yet. Has it been generally assumed Regina's Dan/Wildy/a-dozen-redshirt-Beings incident is the "last straw" that got her packed off to stay with Kria?
ENGLISH: A language that lurks in dark alleys, beats up other languages
and rifles through their pockets for spare vocabulary.

Ragesquid

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on February 16, 2009, 04:21:04 PM
There are a few other shots of Regina with her mouth open in the kitchen, and no evidence of a piercing. Best shot I could find.

Edit. Something occured to me while I was digging. Has anyone else noticed that the color of the fur on patches of Regina's face seem to change color from white to off white to a faint pink, or is that just me?

1: It could simply be that what we are seeing, is the tongue, itself; that what we're mistaking for the tongue could simply be the inside of her mouth.
2: I noticed that, too. I thought it was just my monitor. o.o

Tiger_T

Yeah, that's one cool update right there!

Quote from: Turnsky on February 16, 2009, 08:25:36 AM
my new wallpaper
Needs a little "Meep."... :3

Kria will likely interfere - if she's nearby. Remember she's (kinda) youngster-sitting Regina.

Anyway. I think once Dan has Regina cornered and fearing him, something/-one will distract him for a sec and he'll realize just what he's doing. That ought to snap him out of his rage.

Maybe Regina will even learn something from the encounter. But I wouldn't bet on it. :P

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 16, 2009, 04:58:01 PM
In the absence of a high-res version, I've done my best to clean it up:

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/tapewolf/dmfa/Vol973_x2.png

http://www.project-future.org/stuff/things/Evil_Death_Dan_4x.png (1.1MB)
Peek-a-boo! >:3
Tigriel's got a guest:

A Furry fan, that's what I am! - Proud member of the AP-Team. - Avatar Art by INK

Kipiru

You know, as much as I don't approve of that purple-eyed demon- Regina actually almost looks cute in the first panel of the second row, with that doomed look to her face!

Michael Chandra

Okay, let's see... Dan is 25, Regina is 23. Regina is rather childish, and she seems physically mature, so perhaps 17 isn't that weird for that flashback far ago. But when I read her saying Danny back then, now "last time we fought" and the underscript about adventuring school, I wonder: Was the flashback and that fight 6 years ago part of the same event, or did he run into her for some reason later on and tried to fight her?

llearch n'n'daCorna

It occurs to me that running with one bony wing and one not-bony wing is going to do odd things to your balance, and to your maximum speed - you can't, for example, flick out your wings to assist you round a corner.

Well, not a left hander, anyway, in Regina's case...

Of course, it's now a bit moot.

In other thoughts, I wonder if Dan went to Adventuring School before or after he tangled with Regina and she "pulped him"...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

M

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on February 16, 2009, 05:46:24 PMIn other thoughts, I wonder if Dan went to Adventuring School before or after he tangled with Regina and she "pulped him"...

I think he went to school after his encounter with Regina. She seems to know Edward, and Dan started adventuring after his disappearance.

Shadowcatcher

Quote from: WhiteFire on February 16, 2009, 04:06:30 AM
Regina better hope Kria catches up quickly... or she is in a world of trouble. I think she failed her moral check. :P

Presumably Kria will have SOMETHING to say about Regina being killed in her home... of course, knowing her, it might be "Why, Dan, you are so sexy when you are mad."

Think we know now why Kria said "Ackward!  And I think I like it."  It wasn't about DP, it was all about Regina.  She knew this would happen.  Chances are, Kria's using this as a wake-up call for Regina, which means we can expect her to interfere only when Dan goes too far.  But until that happens, I sort of expect Kria to just enjoy the spectacle with popcorn.  

Baal Hadad

I just realized something....

Twelve more comics and this chapter will tie with Chapter 18 for the longest DMFA chapter ever!

Thirteen more and it'll beat out Chapter 18!

Shadowcatcher

Quote from: Turnsky on February 16, 2009, 09:40:23 AM
now imagine what'll occur if Lorenda pops up

Or if Lorenda becomes an victim.  Accidents happen.

Batratblue

Quote from: Baal Hadad on February 15, 2009, 11:39:00 PM
Killing is too addicting, regardless of who your victim is--once you've crossed the line and taken another life, it becomes like a drug, and you have to do it again.

And again.

And again.

And eventually you'll come to lower your standards for who can die and who must live, just so that you can have prey....

O_o

It never ceases to amaze me how much this sort of thinking propagates among the sheeple. If you're talking from personal experience, you're a homocidal maniac and I'm pleased to inform you that not everyone who has ever taken a life has reacted to it this way. If you're talking from what you know about a friend...Keep an eye on that friend.

People react to it differently. Most of the people I know aren't exactly happy about it having happened, but in a 'them or you' situation, well, they are happy to be alive and back with their families, and they did what they were trained to do.

Stereotyping all people who have killed as serial killing maniacs is somewhat unfortunate. No matter what nation you live in, odds are that some of the protection, rights and freedoms you enjoy owe their existence to 'killers'.

It isn't a drug.

It isn't addicting.

Shadowcatcher

Quote from: Madmann135 on February 16, 2009, 01:32:40 PM
I don't think Dan will kill Regina but instead scare her and beat the living day lights out of her.

Agreed.  I think he's going to give Regina payback with a healthy dose of interest for the harm she did to Dan years back, but draw the line at killing her (or maybe Kria or Lorenda will intervene.)  The conversation from comics 935 and 936 are probably going to become very relevant very soon.

Naldru

Let's try some possible scenarios made from whole cloth (with probable plot holes that make it look like swiss cheese), run them up the flag pole, and see who shoots the most holes.

Regina feels that it is unfair for adventurers to go after demons just because they kill beings.  She hears about Daniel Ti'Fiona, the son of an adventurer and a succubus, and decides that to do something to punish adventurers.  (Dan may be just starting studies for being an adventurer at this time.)  She waits until Edward and Destania are both away from the inn.  She then befriends Dan, claiming such lines as the following:  "Hey, your father married a creature.  We aren't all bad."

She uses Dan to get her past magical defenses set up by Destania to defend Lost Lake and then begins wholesale slaughter.  Dan, Wildy, and perhaps some others, attempt to stop Regina.  However, given their inexperience they are unable to stop Regina's demonic power.  Just as Regina goes into the evil villain monologue before killing Dan and Wildy, Destania shows up in full terror generating form.  (Perhaps Regina did piddle herself at this time, and Dan's appearance and demeanor is reminding Regina of Destania.)

Now here I move from whole cloth to the The Emperor's New Clothes in constructing possible words for Destania.  "You say that you can do whatever you want.  Then perhaps the same is true for me.  If I were you, I wouldn't want to know what I want to do with you.  I don't want to start a fight with the city of Zinvth or the Demons.  It's bad for business.  However, if any of my family ever set eyes on you again, you will learn what my worst is like."

(Look somebody had to save Dan and Wildy.  Destania would have been in the right place at the right time.  Destania would hava also been perfectly capable of stripping Regina's wing to the bone.)

Remember that Kria does have one bargaining chip to use with Dan to save Regina's life.  She can offer to cremate Aliph's body herself if Dan spares Regina.  (Regina doesn't know that it was going to be destroyed anyway.)  Just imagine how Regina will feel, believing that her survival was purchased at the cost of her uncle's existence.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.