#1000's Fan Picture Final/done on the 1st post

Started by Prof B Hunnydew, January 27, 2009, 07:38:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunblink

I'd be happy with contributing. :3

ShadesFox

I would be willing to contribute.  Though it seems that my only skill in life is programming X3

Well, I can paint miniatures, but where would I get a Mab mini X3
The All Purpose Fox

Tyranastrasz

Well, considering we still have, what was it, 3 months you said? I could probably work up a semi-passable drawing of one of the characters in that amount of time...

Tapewolf

At great length, I've found the group shot picture I was mentioning as an alternative style to the Disgea proposal:

http://img403.imageshack.us/my.php?image=nightonthetowncolor7de.png

The thread is here: http://clockworkmansion.com/forum/index.php/topic,497.0.html

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Kipiru

I'm sorry Mao, but the whole Disgaea thing doesn't work with me either- never even heard of it and have no desire to comb through the net to search for pictures of it! As for the comic idea, maybe there is a way to do it. We could agree on a simple story from a writer and then have a rudimentary storyboard done. Afterwards the artists, already assigned characters, draw the poses in sync with the storyboard. It won't be perfect, but it will be unique.

Sunblink

I'll be honest: I don't think a Disagea theme will work, if only because it just sounds like fanservice intended for people who happen to be fans of both Disagea and DMFA, not a celebratory image. Sure, it'd be great to those who recognize the iconic uniforms and whatnot, but for everyone else it'd just be the DMFA cast standing around in some fancy clothes.

Besides, if this is going to be a gift for Amber, we'd need to make sure if she even likes Disagea first.

Reese Tora

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 31, 2009, 12:12:14 PM
Quote from: Mao Laoren on January 31, 2009, 12:11:14 PM
Any particular reason why basing it off of characters from a game is a bad idea?  Fan-art, last I checked wasn't a crime.
Tell that to the Harry Potter fan sites.

There's a difference between crimes against the law and crimes against nature, Tape. :P
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

Kipiru

Quote from: Reese Tora on January 31, 2009, 07:31:22 PM
Quote from: Tapewolf on January 31, 2009, 12:12:14 PM
Quote from: Mao Laoren on January 31, 2009, 12:11:14 PM
Any particular reason why basing it off of characters from a game is a bad idea?  Fan-art, last I checked wasn't a crime.
Tell that to the Harry Potter fan sites.

There's a difference between crimes against the law and crimes against nature, Tape. :P

I'm starting to feel like you guys don't like Harry Potter! But, that's silly right- after all there are only two kinds of people in the world- people who like HP and people who will be made to like HP  :mwaha HARRY FOREVER!!!

Tapewolf

Quote from: Reese Tora on January 31, 2009, 07:31:22 PM
I don't think it even was a crime, but not so many years back, Warner had a field day taking down pretty much every site with the words "harry" and "potter" in the domain name.  When they can afford better lawyers than you, right and wrong is a little academic.

Sofox

In case I wasn't clear, I'm totally down for helping Amber in any way.
My medium of choice is pencil on paper (unless you want to delve into my horrific past of sprite editing) but I'm not the best. Recently I've been having a hard time getting a handle on my skill recently unless I have a direct reference to work on (such as copying by sight).

Reese Tora

Quote from: Kipiru on January 31, 2009, 07:36:42 PM
I'm starting to feel like you guys don't like Harry Potter! But, that's silly right- after all there are only two kinds of people in the world- people who like HP and people who will be made to like HP  :mwaha HARRY FOREVER!!!

What? no.... No. no

Nothing wrong with HP (or even fans, for that matter) it's the kind of media and art you find on those sites...
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

Magic

It was a running theme on my gallery. And Mab just happened to fit Flonne's personality so perfectly; it was not intended to start a theme/continuity in the special art you people have to do. The point of this was to show appreciation to Amber, and I wanted to do it in a way I know how. I didn't want to wait for a specific milestone to say 'Hey, I like how you draw this comic, keep it up!'. Besides, she needed cheering up at the time.

(And just so you know, I've never even heard of Strawberry Shortcake at the time she draw me that picture. If she doesn't know Disgaea, then I've at least shared something. Heh.)

You are free to ask of me for another, you realize. After you've all decided and convinced each other on a specific who, what, when, where and how. You people have great ideas, I'm sure you don't really need my input.
True Magic does not bow down to rules like mana or sacrifice. True Magic bends all rules. I have seen the truth. I am now free forever. (I used to be Doctor Ink. Now stop asking.)

Kipiru

Quote from: Reese Tora on January 31, 2009, 09:45:34 PM
Quote from: Kipiru on January 31, 2009, 07:36:42 PM

What? no.... No. no

Nothing wrong with HP (or even fans, for that matter) it's the kind of media and art you find on those sites...

Well, yeah, that is true-some of those guys go waaay overboard!

Howl

As much as I'd love to partake, I'm afraid it is far, far, far out of my ability. All I can say is 'Congratulations" to Amber for keeping this webcomic online.

Prof B Hunnydew

Okay Okay

I was hoping that we could try and keep in the Amber-ish style, since this is to DMFA... Disgaea-ish  is too manga-ish for some people to copy.... Why can't we try to stay in our own styles?  I would be the only one who would ask anyone to try to do any character from one artist and do that character on another artist's style... That is insanity, but wait where am I...Oh yeah, Lost Lake Inn.

Okay, a random lottery like Zina Cat secret Santa.... We can try to marry up artist with characters.. I will PM which character goes to which Artist....and maybe I can get some other "fans" to add ideas to the artists. 

The Beach idea is good... But we could do Fairyland, too.
There, you can do anything.

From this point, If you want in as an artist or a "writer"... Please post or post again.  I will post on the first post, who is in and PM their main character to them.
The writers can give ideas to artists,  A Writer could post ideas for any characters, they want, but the artist decide what idea can do once they get their "secret" character.  PMed me If you have trouble with a idea or character.

The Character Lottery will be on Feb 14th. and That will close the writers' ideas and the artists entries.

:mowcookie
PBH

Kipiru

Great idea Prof! As I stated several times now- I'm in! I'll go along with any rules you give out, as I see this as an art challenge.

Tyranastrasz

As I stated before, I would like to take part in drawing a character.

M

Emerauld Drathmir

Quote from: Prof B Hunnydew on February 01, 2009, 10:32:41 AMThe Character Lottery will be on Feb 14th. and That will close the writers' ideas and the artists entries.

PBH
CG art count?
Yoho, yo ho, a pirate's life for me...Darn it Bean, no Looting until after dinner!
--Home of Angst Technology/Weak-end Warriors/Sorry We're Open, and InkTank-now back from hiatus.

Tapewolf

I'm in as a colourist if needed.  I'll still have to decide about writing.

Lisky

I support the demon race (usually with my hands)!   Also... LOOK A DISTRACTION! -->

Tiger_T

Me=Artist. :3
Tigriel's got a guest:

A Furry fan, that's what I am! - Proud member of the AP-Team. - Avatar Art by INK

Prof B Hunnydew

Quote from: Emerauld Drathmir on February 01, 2009, 01:40:52 PM
Quote from: Prof B Hunnydew on February 01, 2009, 10:32:41 AMThe Character Lottery will be on Feb 14th. and That will close the writers' ideas and the artists entries.

PBH
CG art count?

ah sure... It has to be of the character... or the background...

Emerauld Drathmir

I'll have to grab the alternate morph packs for my figures, but I'm in.  Worst case, I grab my Wacom and doodle.
Yoho, yo ho, a pirate's life for me...Darn it Bean, no Looting until after dinner!
--Home of Angst Technology/Weak-end Warriors/Sorry We're Open, and InkTank-now back from hiatus.

Faerie Alex

I'd love to offer my services as an artist.
Jeez I need to update this thing.

Silver Pomeranian Genji

I guess I'll contribute, if only as a writer, 'cause my skillz of an artist are not so good.
Mah Boi, this peace is what all true lawyers strive for. Anybody know Moira Gianna's number?

Siren

I'm in as an artist, if that's still going.
And everyone ought to make a quick contribution. Even people who (feel they) can't draw and don't want to be writers could.... I don't know, make a nice patterned border for the opening panel?

AmigaDragon

Quote from: Silver Pomeranian Genji on February 02, 2009, 02:12:43 AM
I guess I'll contribute, if only as a writer, 'cause my skillz of an artist are not so good.

How much writing does it take to make a group picture? Or are you talking about doing a set of fan strips?

----------------
Now playing on Winamp: Louis Spohr - Grand Nonetto (Classical Minnesota Public Radio)
via FoxyTunes
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Prof B Hunnydew

Quote from: AmigaDragon on February 02, 2009, 03:56:13 AM
Quote from: Silver Pomeranian Genji on February 02, 2009, 02:12:43 AM
I guess I'll contribute, if only as a writer, 'cause my skills of an artist are not so good.

How much writing does it take to make a group picture? Or are you talking about doing a set of fan strips?

----------------
Now playing on Winamp: Louis Spohr - Grand Nonetto (Classical Minnesota Public Radio)
via FoxyTunes

Okay what would you like Dan to be doing at the Beach....?

Would the Girls be sunbathing or playing volleyball?  Croquet anyone?

Will Pip be chasing seagulls? ... female drakes? or stealing chicken from the bar-b-q..?

Examples like these

PBH

Kipiru

Yeah, the writers should come up with a plot behind the image!