Tolerance issues!

Started by Gabi, December 31, 2008, 12:27:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valynth

Quote from: Zina on January 19, 2009, 03:24:48 AM
Valynth, You weren't banned for a "few days". You were banned for a whole 24 hours. And -I- did not make the call. All the moderators vote whether or not something is ban worthy. The majority of the mods made the call. I was simply the one that got tagged with the job of handing out the ban.

And if you have any problems with something the moderators do, you are more than welcome to talk to one of us privately and not air your frustrations in a completely different thread a whole three months later.

*sigh* I've been over it for a long time (hence my fuzziness on the issue), my whole thing was to make a jest at past events.  Sorry if that wasn't clear enough.
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

Zina

Unless you are really bad at conveying humor through text, I don't really see how any of that was "making jest". If you were over it, I don't see why you'd bring it up at all, since it had NOTHING to do with this topic. Or why you would edit your previous post form "the mods made the call" to "you made the call".
Really, we've gone from talking about China's population to claiming that "Zina banned me for several days for citing a source, with no warning whatsoever". Why? Why did that happen, Valynth?
But if you're telling me that was all in jest, well all righty then.
Don't I look silly.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Valynth on January 19, 2009, 04:07:06 AM
*sigh* I've been over it for a long time (hence my fuzziness on the issue), my whole thing was to make a jest at past events.  Sorry if that wasn't clear enough.

You missed the emoticon. It's hard to tell the difference in a text-based medium without some sort of indicator.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Valynth

Meh, go ahead and be right Zina, I really don't give a fly rat's buns about this anymore.

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on January 19, 2009, 04:19:37 AM
Quote from: Valynth on January 19, 2009, 04:07:06 AM

You missed the emoticon. It's hard to tell the difference in a text-based medium without some sort of indicator.

Emoticons?!  What are those?  You mean the smiles right? (now which one was the humorous-sarcasm one?)
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.

Omega

Could be this one ' :U ' Guess that's why Amber uses it every often.

But seriously though, at the moment, I don't know what to think about you as a person. You did claim that China had three billion people living in it, but on the other hand, you dislike the moderator's. I feel like beating you sensless and giving you an award of some sort.

Apropo, did you know that the dolphins that live in the China's Yangtze river's dolphins are dying (if not dead already) for pollution. Now the government has been trying to find a cure for this germ that kills the river mammals, instead of fixing the real problem: pollution. Well, it's not really doing that either. You see, it turned out that killing the germ wasn't as easy as they thought, so they're closing the research and denying that they knew anything in the first place. That's politics for you.

Zina

Quote from: Valynth on January 19, 2009, 04:28:51 AM
Meh, go ahead and be right Zina, I really don't give a fly rat's buns about this anymore.

That would be because I AM right, hurr hurr. You just realized what a huge tool you made yourself out to be, backtracked like crazy, and then when all else failed, you fell back on the old "I was only joking!" routine. And then you did the whole "I don't care about this anymore" thing, which is odd considering YOU were the one that brought it up in the first place. And then I was all "Oh ho ho Valynth, will you ever change?"
And please don't.
Because where will I go when I need a chuckle? :C

Valynth

Quote from: Zina on January 19, 2009, 04:41:50 PM
Quote from: Valynth on January 19, 2009, 04:28:51 AM

That would be because I AM right, hurr hurr. You just realized what a huge tool you made yourself out to be, backtracked like crazy, and then when all else failed, you fell back on the old "I was only joking!" routine. And then you did the whole "I don't care about this anymore" thing, which is odd considering YOU were the one that brought it up in the first place. And then I was all "Oh ho ho Valynth, will you ever change?"
And please don't.
Because where will I go when I need a chuckle? :C

I hear Fark has a few trolls.  Try over there.

Damaris

Really?  I didn't realize you had an action figure!  I'm impressed.

Enough.  Continued posting on this will result in thread lockage and other unpleasant side effects.

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

Lisky

we are now talking about unicorns... i mean...

I support the demon race (usually with my hands)!   Also... LOOK A DISTRACTION! -->

Valynth

You know what they say about unicorns....  They're always *is killed by the Internet Censorship Squad(tm) before he can finish that joke*

superluser

I never liked the fact that King Haggard was so intolerant of free unicorns.

What do you people think?

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Cogidubnus

I think I'm impressed you've read The Last Unicorn. I've heard it's pretty good, actually. Been meaning to get around to it.

superluser

Quote from: Cogidubnus on January 19, 2009, 10:48:49 PMI think I'm impressed you've read The Last Unicorn. I've heard it's pretty good, actually. Been meaning to get around to it.

Haven't read it.  I saw the Rankin-Bass film.  From what I've heard, I need to read the book, eventually.

This isn't the first time I've referred to it, though.

Brunhidden

i made the mistake of reading it in highschool and carrying it around where people could read the cover.

....jackasses kept asking what i was reading every other day, despite my efforts to use book covers, i thought i may as well confuse them with strange titled books....

to those who have not read the book- the movie is surprisingly true to the book with the exception that the book is very dark and just a touch morbid. schmendric may look like a goofball on film but he is actually quite the tortured literary character... also he eats stray dogs at one point of the story
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Hrm. It's been so long, I don't remember if I ever saw this or not.

I know I saw a movie about someone saving the last dragon, in a sort of "roll the dice and be transported into the game" sort of thing, kind of. It was a bit more complex than that, but I don't remember the details. I've been trying to find it ever since, with varying degrees of effort...

superluser

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on January 20, 2009, 03:45:30 AMHrm. It's been so long, I don't remember if I ever saw this or not.

Rankin-Bass is pretty distinctive.  If you've seen a film where characters look like this, and it doesn't take place in Middle Earth, you've probably seen it.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Hrm. I'd guess not, then.

superluser

You've piqued my interest now.  The only two stories that I can think of that could be construed that way would be The Neverending Story and The Color of Magic.  The latter removed all references to gaming in the film version, though.

Would you care to describe the story?

llearch n'n'daCorna

I just did. I said, it's been a long while since I saw it, and I can't remember most of it.

Damn frustrating, in fact...

superluser

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on January 20, 2009, 09:27:01 AMI just did. I said, it's been a long while since I saw it, and I can't remember most of it.

You can't remember anything else?  Not even something like the color of a character's hair or a brief snippet of dialogue?

llearch n'n'daCorna

Not reliably. Not without it likely coming from some other movie entirely.

We're talking a movie I haven't seen for over 20 years, here. I think. Which gives you some idea of how far back to look. It had live action at either end, and there was some excuse as to why the hero couldn't go back afterwards, so he ended up playing a board game that resembled his lost friends. IIRC, the middle section was all cartoon.

Does that help at all?

Omega

Kasarn

llearch n'n'daCorna

Tiger_T

On a related note:

I like films where the dragon isn't the bad guy.

I really loved 'Dragonheart'.
Tigriel's got a guest:

A Furry fan, that's what I am! - Proud member of the AP-Team. - Avatar Art by INK

Lisky

i feel that hollywood in general is intolerant towards the bad guy... they almost never win... and lets be honest, some of them are just soo awesome you really want them to win too

I support the demon race (usually with my hands)!   Also... LOOK A DISTRACTION! -->

Brunhidden

llearch- yes that is the movie, and i believe the entire thing was cut up into small youtubeable pieces if you're willing to watch over ten consecutive ten minute segments

thegayhare

the movie was flight of dragons... an oddly adapted version of the dragons and the George

since in the book the dragons don't breath fire,  there wasn't an evil wizard just the amorphous Dark powers.  and both the hero and the girl came from the future in the book threw a scientific experiment.

Mostly they kept some of the names the same Gorbash and his uncle had the same name, and Sir brian is an important char in the book but in the movie they made Giles o the wold a gnome in the book he was the female archers father.. and she doesn't fall for brian but anouther archer named Dyffadd.  the only char they realy kept true to form was Arrgh the english wolf

Edit:I was wrong they changed the knights name from Brian Nevel Smythe to Orin

Brunhidden

Quote from: thegayhare on January 20, 2009, 03:40:04 PM
the movie was flight of dragons... an oddly adapted version of the dragons and the George

actually the movie was extremely loosely based on a book of the name 'flight of dragons' which was actually a ver clinical look at historical records of dragons, any time dragons appeared in folklore or myth, and then trying to use science to figure out how a dragon could fly, breathe fire, and not leave a fossil record. the book is actually somewhat compelling as they tie up all the loose ends, however its not proof but merely saying its entirely possible and it would be nice to know that dozens of different accounts of the same creature throughout the historical world are actually based on something.

as that would make for a somewhat boring movie they based the movie only slightly in the book, and slightly in everything else they wanted to. if you watch the movie closely there is a scene where the senior dragon teaches the junior dragon (been a long time, but i think the human from 'now' was placed into the younger dragons body) how the flying and fire breathing works, with a chalk diagram and taking bites off of limestone.

dang, its been so long sinse ive seen it, but i don't have tie time to see it all on youtube

thegayhare

that may be Brun but most of the characters and locations were taken from Dragon and the George.  (and your right about what happens the man from our time  takes up residance in Gorbashes body  something that takes place in the movie and in the book I mentioned)

some have miner name changes... the main char, and the knight for example but most are the same.