Tolerance issues!

Started by Gabi, December 31, 2008, 12:27:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabi

Quote from: Mao Laoren on December 31, 2008, 07:57:45 AMWhile many may not see Gabi's character as a symbol of attraction it's still refreshing to see a picture that shows it as a possibility.
Hey, now you're making it sound like my character is completely unattractive!

At my previous work they got mad if I watched ANYTHING that wasn't work-related. At university, they don't care what I watch as soon as I get the job done. Neither of them would have found that offensive.

Quote from: Mao Laoren on December 31, 2008, 07:57:45 AM
Stupid ultra-conservative scared of offending anyone (except for non-Christians) work place.  *wanders off muttering to himself*
Scared of offending anyone except non-Christians? Now that is offensive.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Mao

Quote from: Gabi on December 31, 2008, 12:27:52 PM
Quote from: Mao Laoren on December 31, 2008, 07:57:45 AMWhile many may not see Gabi's character as a symbol of attraction it's still refreshing to see a picture that shows it as a possibility.
Hey, now you're making it sound like my character is completely unattractive!

I neither said nor implied anything of the sort.

Quote from: Gabi on December 31, 2008, 12:27:52 PM
Quote from: Mao Laoren on December 31, 2008, 07:57:45 AM
Stupid ultra-conservative scared of offending anyone (except for non-Christians) work place.  *wanders off muttering to himself*
Scared of offending anyone except non-Christians? Now that is offensive.

Indeed.. beings how I'm one of those people they don't mind offending.  Sure, it's against company policy to offend anyone really, but I assure you from personal experience that they'll let a lot (if not all) of the ones against non-Christians slide.

Kipiru

I'm admit I'm bit of a racist, I don't approve of gay people, I hate environmentalists and am completely against feminism (though I do think men and women are equal, feminism goes beyond that as being fanatic in its core) but I would never deliberately insult anyone on those reasons! For I don't think it's my right to do so!

Suwako

Quote from: Kipiru on December 31, 2008, 12:44:40 PM
I'm admit I'm bit of a racist, I don't approve of gay people, I hate environmentalists and am completely against feminism (though I do think men and women are equal, feminism goes beyond that as being fanatic in its core) but I would never deliberately insult anyone on those reasons! For I don't think it's my right to do so!

Quite straightforward, but it's good to admit what you are. Of course most people have a little prejudice against races, especially when the group gets more represented negatively over time. Though, the others standings I would myself just disagree with, though feminism should be limited to equality, which at present time I think only truly exists in Sweden. ( Being the most gender equal country in the world~)

but meh. Everyone their own.  :B

Oh, Of course this is a Art thread of course, I should comment on the image as well.

Well, I like it.
Merry chistmas indeed. :3

And the Gabi picture is quite nice as well, though not my personal taste.  :U

Kipiru

Just to make it clearer, I do not disapprove of people being different, but of people who parade their difference and expect the world to treat them differently!

Suwako

Quote from: Kipiru on December 31, 2008, 05:54:11 PM
Just to make it clearer, I do not disapprove of people being different, but of people who parade their difference and expect the world to treat them differently!

Differently? As far as I know most of the world treat gays differently ( In a bad way.) The same applies to racial minorities within a country. People should stop giving a shit about other peoples sexual preferences, as well as stay realistic in racism instead of having blind hate. I do not know what you have against environmentalists, as long as their arguments are well supported I think the world needs to listen to them, CO2 should not be our focus, however we do need to invest in renewable resources I think ( even if it isn't going to repay itself, advancement comes with sacrifice sometimes.  But this is not the topic we should discuss this in, my apologies.

I believe that gays should have the right to be married and have the same benefits from it etcetera.
I believe that if a woman works and as much and hard as a man with the same job she should be payed just as much, not less.

cake.

Gabi

I applaud you, Aiyno. I wanted to say that myself, but couldn't find the words.

But it's true that this is meant to be an art topic. Maybe we could take the discussion elsewhere?

Kipiru

This discussion started accidentally in my art thread, but it seems people have something to say about it so lets give them a chance! I said that I'm against people who parade their differences and expect the world to treat them differently for that. I'm talking flashy faggots( not ordinary gay people who harm noone and should have equal rights as anyone else, but the in-your-face obscene type), environmentalists (not people with a sense of ecology, but eco-terrorists who put nature ahead of mankind), feminists( women are equal to men, but feminists are often fanatic about it) and racism( when some minorities tend to abuse their status as such and start aggravating the general public).
Share your opinion if you wish!

Kipiru

llearch n'n'daCorna

Would you like me to move the posts here?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Sofox

So you start a thread with the Title "Tolerance issues!" and then say you won't stand for people who annoy you.
Hello Irony!

Gabi

Ah. Now that's different. I do not approve of terrorism of any kind, but when you said you hated environmentalists I thought you were in favor of highly polluting industries, killing of endangered species and the likes.

Similarly, when you said you did not approve of gay people, I thought you were against all of them, like those extreme religious groups who say homosexuality is an aberration.

It's amazing what the wording can do.

Anyway, I don't like people who consider themselves superior to others and want others to submit to them. Show-offs are something different, I often find them distasteful but I don't mind as long as they don't bother anyone (such is the case, for example, of cross-dressers who use extremely high heels, short skirts and heaps of makeup, and swing their hips as they walk as if they were dancing the conga: distasteful, but harmless).

Racists, xenophobes and religious intolerants I just can't take. I know some people who are otherwise nice but seem to have a phobia against Asians or Bolivians or whatever. I try to get around that and to make my point kindly whenever the subject comes up, but the truth is I lose some of my respect for a person if I find out he or she has that kind of attitude towards others.

Oh, and Sofox... even as bluntly as you put it, that is a tolerance issue.

superluser

Meh.  I tend to say to each his or her own, but I can't deny that people who flaunt their sexuality really bug me.

People who flaunt their heterosexuality tend to bother me more than people who flaunt their homosexuality, though.  I can generally just ignore gay PDAs, but the meathead heteros wound me personally, because I'm supposed to be one of them.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Lysander

I find it kind of funny that some people are kind of wary of other races, when that's as far as it goes. Sometimes that comes form people living in a population of mostly one race, like the state of the USA I live; people in another state where the people are much more divers would probably have little to no issues or phobias.

As for gays, people of my religion are often accused of hating them in every possible way when in reality, from what I recall, the main issue is the marriage. That doesn't mean I think gays who are married are not people, it's just not the kind of thing I believe in or would recommend.   :januscat
TytajLucheek

llearch n'n'daCorna

<admin>
I've merged the threads, after splitting out the posts that seemed appropriate. Note that some of the content is applicable to the art thread, so I've tried to be careful about how I split it, but there are some cases where I've moved the post here.

Please don't take it personally; I'm not picking on anyone, just doing the best I can. Any comments about the art, you're welcome to make another post in Kipiru's original art thread with those comments in it - and, indeed, any other comments you'd care to make.
</admin>

<personal>
I'm severely racist against stupidity. It irritates me immensely to have to deal with it on a regular basis. :-/

Having said that, I do my best to keep my irritation in check, since it's my problem and not anyone else's...
</personal>
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Kipiru

Let me elaborate on the racism issue! I for instance have no problems with Afro-american, Asian or Latin people! The form of racism I suffer from(yes I'm not proud of it) is one caused not from difference in skin or any other anatomic features, but from mentality! We have in our country quite a significant minority of gypsy folk. They are the most hostile and degraded kind of people anyone can imagine! They live off of theft and beggary and are completely reluctant to follow any laws or take up jobs especially provided for them by the government! They are completely unwilling to coexist with anyone and by being such have become a major thorn in our society!

Sunblink

Okay, time for my opinionated ranting.

For me, I really, really dislike feminazis, or extremists in general. REALLY. I really believe in the concept of equality, so I don't like the idea of one group totally belittling the other. (Weirdly, when I told my Chemistry teacher that during a discussion, he thought I was talking about Communism.  :erk I have a strange history of being misunderstood when I'm too vague about my opinions IRL. This is why I like keyboards so much.)

I think that feminism should be about the empowerment of women and supporting women's rights, which is necessary in some societies in the world. So the idea of feminazis and feminists being considered in the same group is a little insulting. So Kipiru, keep that in mind.

I don't care much about sexuality. I really hate it when people just act obnoxious in public, though, regardless of sexuality. A lot of people seem to think that promiscuity and homosexuality is mutually exclusive, for some reason. Some people in Congress agree with that misconception. God, how embarrassing is it when you hear a grown woman who was elected into her current seat talking about why gays shouldn't be allowed in the army because they would seek body heat from other men or distract other men by wantonly flirting? I wanted to say to the television screen, "They're not animals who think with their genitalia, you bitch."

I also don't see why some people seem threatened by the idea of gay people obtaining the same rights as straight people, or when people equate homosexuality to beastiality or pedophilia or something. Why is that? Are some people just willing to overlook the fact that homosexuality is practiced between consenting adults just because it disgusts them on an irrational level?

<virulent sarcasm> Ooh, oh no, gay people want to be treated like human beings! How threatening and vile!</virulent sarcasm>

I needed to get that off my chest. Cue the negative karma!

Also, Kipiru, why do you keep using exclamation marks at the end of every sentence in every post? No offense intended. It's just something I noticed.

Kipiru

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on January 01, 2009, 01:41:48 PM

I think that feminism should be about the empowerment of women and supporting women's rights, which is necessary in some societies in the world. So the idea of feminazis and feminists being considered in the same group is a little insulting. So Kipiru, keep that in mind.

Also, Kipiru, why do you keep using exclamation marks at the end of every sentence in every post? No offense intended. It's just something I noticed.

OK, Keaton, I honestly didn't know there was a thing like feminazis and it's difference from feminism, though by the sound of it, it is what I so despise. I'll know from now on!

As for the exclamation marks- I tend to think of myself as a very emotional person, so I use the marks to try and relate some of that nature of mine in the lifeless text. Sorry if it's bothersome!

Sunblink

Quote from: Kipiru on January 01, 2009, 02:06:29 PM

OK, Keaton, I honestly didn't know there was a thing like feminazis and it's difference from feminism, though by the sound of it, it is what I so dispise. I'll know from now on!

As for the exclamation marks- I tend to think of myself as a very emotional person, so I use the marks to try and relate some of that nature of mine in the lifeless text. Sorry if it's bothersome!

Feminazi is usually just a derogatory term, but I feel it kind of separates the extremist feminists from the more reasonable counterparts.

And oh no, the exclamation marks aren't bothering me at all; don't worry. I just wanted to know what the purpose behind that was. :B What you said makes sense.

Gabi

And so does what you said, Keaton. :3

Suwako

Gareeku

Looks like everyone's in agreement. I love a happy ending. :3

And to throw my hat in, I don't discriminate. I hate everyone equally. c:

Kipiru

Well ain't that comforting!  :)

gh0st

"oh my God. i'm a racist"

"oh i understand now!"

somebody had to say it.. still i'm in total agreement!

superluser

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on January 01, 2009, 01:41:48 PMAlso, Kipiru, why do you keep using exclamation marks at the end of every sentence in every post? No offense intended. It's just something I noticed.

He must have felt that the writing lacked certain emotion and intensity.

For example, ``It was damp and chilly afternoon, so I decided to put on my sweatshirt!''

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Kipiru

And to throw some more oil into the fire, what about vegetarians!? Have you ever been in a situation where you are having a meal along with a vegetarian and he is constantly commenting on your choice of food, trying to make you see how wrong you are for eating meat! I mean, for god's sake, if your choice is to eat greens only, then fine, but don't go shoving your idea on others as well, especially if they have clearly stated they don't want to have nothing to do with it! Humans eat meet and vegetables by nature- period! If one chooses to go with one or the other it's their business, it doesn't make others who don't discriminate between food groups wrong!

NOTE: Humanity's brain has evolved only after he started eating more meat!

Faerie Alex

I'm sure there are such people, I think I might have heard of some myself. But again, not all vegetarians do that. I have, in fact, had a lunch with meat with people who were vegetarians, and if they had a problem with my eating meat, they weren't shoving it in my face.

I think in any group with an opinion, there are bound to be people who take the stance that any other opinion in inherently wrong, and there are going to be others who act on that feeling. What's important is to not lump anyone with that opinion into the last group there.
Jeez I need to update this thing.

techmaster-glitch

Summing up modlin's point, the great Amber Herself put it best:

Ryudo Lee

Quote from: Kipiru on January 01, 2009, 05:16:52 PM
And to throw some more oil into the fire, what about vegetarians!? Have you ever been in a situation where you are having a meal along with a vegetarian and he is constantly commenting on your choice of food, trying to make you see how wrong you are for eating meat! I mean, for god's sake, if your choice is to eat greens only, then fine, but don't go shoving your idea on others as well, especially if they have clearly stated they don't want to have nothing to do with it! Humans eat meet and vegetables by nature- period! If one chooses to go with one or the other it's their business, it doesn't make others who don't discriminate between food groups wrong!

NOTE: Humanity's brain has evolved only after he started eating more meat!

Meat is murder.  Tasty tasty murder.

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

Valynth

My four cents: 

1.  I will tolerate you until you start telling me what I must do.
2.  I will tolerate you until you start telling me what I must believe.
3.  I will tolerate you until you start telling me what I must tolerate.
4.  I will tolerate you until you start harming others.
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)