It's Twilight Time...

Started by Alondro, November 24, 2008, 11:11:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angel

Quote from: Jairus on December 20, 2008, 07:20:25 PM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on December 20, 2008, 06:32:39 PM
I'd vote for PTerry's vampires, only I don't think they pass the "serious" muster...
Serious, no, but he does take and treat them seriously. I'd say they count as the "good" kind of vampires. And The Dresden Files 'verse has some good vampires too: if I recall, the only reason that the "sexy" vampires are sexy is to make it easier to attract their prey. And of course, both of those universes have multiple types of vampires so they get to eat their cake and have it too.

So, then, different classes of vampire in literature... hm.

Sexy vampire - the monster equivalent of a pitcher plant. Attracts prey with the promise of something good, then devours them.
Monster vampires - Nosferatu. The guys who remind you that yes, these ARE bloodsucking monsters.
Good vampires - I assume these are the vampires who do their best not to kill humans. They kill animals, are disgusted at what they are, and tend to be emo-fangirl bait.
Bad vampires - they guys who want to kill all the humans not just for the sake of food, but because they WANT to kill. They either hate humans, or they love killing.

I think that's all of them...
The Real Myth of Sisyphus:
The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water spout,
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,
And the itsy-bitsy spider went up the spout again...
BANDWAGON JUMP!

Sunblink

What about the Ultimate Hellsing OVA? I'm just getting into the anime, but the vampires there are pretty cool.

Angel

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on December 20, 2008, 07:54:52 PM
What about the Ultimate Hellsing OVA? I'm just getting into the anime, but the vampires there are pretty cool.

...Well, I WAS trying to avoid the topic, because whenever it comes up I won't shut up for at least twenty minutes because that show is MADE OF PURE AWESOME.

But yes. The Hellsing vampires all rock. Let me know how obsessed you get, Keaton.  >:]
BANDWAGON JUMP!

Sunblink

Quote from: Black_angel on December 20, 2008, 08:00:09 PM
...Well, I WAS trying to avoid the topic, because whenever it comes up I won't shut up for at least twenty minutes because that show is MADE OF PURE AWESOME.

But yes. The Hellsing vampires all rock. Let me know how obsessed you get, Keaton.  >:]

Blackie, PM me. We shall make sweet fangirl music together. >:3

Colgatecrusader

i thought this thread was dead, as well as the twighlight craze. sadly i was mistaken.
I'm just really loyal to my brand... what can I say? Dental Hygiene is important.

Janus Whitefurr

Quote from: Jigsaw Forte on December 20, 2008, 07:07:19 PM
Quote from: Janus Whitefurr on December 20, 2008, 06:36:06 PM
I had actually forgotten about you. :b

You... you mean that night in Minsk meant NOTHING to you?!  :cry

Is cool. Technically Vampires are a subset of Djinn in the LR mythos anyway, so maybe they fall under the "Well, Vampire is just the most convenient thing to call them" theory.

Shhh! No one was supposed to hear about that!  :hug

And hey, at least Jigsaw isn't hitting on every pretty boy in sight with promises of svcking zeir blud! Except when you show up in chat, I guess. o.o;
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Alondro

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on December 20, 2008, 08:02:48 PM
Quote from: Black_angel on December 20, 2008, 08:00:09 PM

Blackie, PM me. We shall make sweet fangirl music together. >:3

Hellsing OVA?  I thought it was stupid. 

*pushes the Keaton's shiny buttons*  >:3
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Jigsaw Forte

Quote from: Janus Whitefurr on December 20, 2008, 08:40:40 PMAnd hey, at least Jigsaw isn't hitting on every pretty boy in sight with promises of svcking zeir blud! Except when you show up in chat, I guess. o.o;

No, not every pretty boy in chat.

Just you. ;)

Sunblink

Quote from: Alondro on December 20, 2008, 10:42:45 PMHellsing OVA?  I thought it was stupid. 

*pushes the Keaton's shiny buttons*  >:3

:U

BLASPHEMEEEEEEEEER :O

thegayhare

Quote from: Black_angel on December 20, 2008, 07:39:38 PM
So, then, different classes of vampire in literature... hm.

I think that's all of them...

There are also reformed vampires

Such as the black ribboners of terry pratchett fame

These are vampires who truely desire to fit into human society in a world where vampires don't need blood.  its a relex for them, a way to keep score as it were.

Black ribboners swear off the B word as they call it so that they can fit into polite society.  They focus they're thrist, there driving supernatural addiction towards something else.  In the books there were a number of them listed.  Otto von Chriek focuses on light and perfecting his art of photography.  others have shifted this drive to coffee or even politics.

but they look strange many wear stero typical vampire garb that has been warped some how by there new obsession

Otto Chriek for example still wears a black velvet opera cape, it is lined with pockets (similar to a photographer's vest). By ensuring people find him funny, he is able to ensure they do not find him threatening.

llearch n'n'daCorna

I think the best thing about Otto is his reaction to the flash on his camera.

For those of you who aren't aware, the flash is a bright blast of sunlight. Which promptly turns him into dust...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

thegayhare

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on December 22, 2008, 05:47:06 AM

For those of you who aren't aware, the flash is a bright blast of sunlight. Which promptly turns him into dust...

Yes but he's also developed the kit, A glass vial on a necklace with a few drops of animal b-vord when he crumbles the glass smashes on the ground and the b-vord reconstitutes him. ... which is a step up from the old standard of the card "Help I've crumbled and I can't get up"  Acording to Sally von Humpeding the kit has become a standard among black ribboners

Angel

Is that why vampires don't appear in photographs?
BANDWAGON JUMP!

thegayhare

Quote from: Black_angel on December 22, 2008, 10:21:05 AM

Is that why vampires don't appear in photographs?

LOL
maybe on the discworld

On the disc camera's are basicly boxes with a imp trapped inside you hit the button a little hammer thumps the imp on the head and he looks out the window and paints what he sees.  For a flash you use salamanders which store up the disc's rather slow and sluggish sunlight in special glands.  when they get scared they release the sunlight in a bright blinding flash... Photographers prefure them for taking pictures in dark places.