Ze Amber for Canada discussion thread.

Started by Amber Williams, December 18, 2008, 12:50:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amber Williams

I realized that it would likely be good to have a thread open for peeps to talk about things since I had the other locked.

Comments, bids, plottings of world domination, etc...have at ye!

Jairus

Well, here's something I think you need...

:hug

You can do it, Amber. I know you can.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Amber Williams

OH GOD WHAT HAVE I STARTED. D:

This auction is going to be brutal since I have to deal with emails. *flails around*

I just know when I wake up I can expect a whole buncha emails...

Reese Tora

speaking of which, I just bid and... someone's already outbid me by a factor of 4 :<

"no major roll" that's cool, I'd settle for a "hey." "hey." exchange with a main character. :3
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

Amber Williams

I actually did consider if things dont go well, I would do two more cameo auctions of the "fly on the wall" variety where they likely just show up for one panel.

But we shall see how it rolls.  Right now I am just tyring to keep up with this. :U

ShadesFox

I briefly held top spot.  Knew it wouldn't last though X3

Quote from: Reese Tora on December 18, 2008, 01:17:00 AM
speaking of which, I just bid and... someone's already outbid me by a factor of 4 :<

"no major roll" that's cool, I'd settle for a "hey." "hey." exchange with a main character. :3

I would not settle for anything less then gnawing on Azlan's tail.  Hell, Mab, I'm willing to put my old bid up on the table if I can have one panel of gnawing on Azlan's tail, like in the old days on the nice ;p
The All Purpose Fox

Janus Whitefurr

I'm just here to observe the chaos as it unfolds, and Amber gets buried under emails. I'd have no chance bidding, soooo...  :U
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Reese Tora

ooops, I forgot to add my handle to my bid...

briefly, I hold the top spot myself, lets see how long it lasts :P

techmaster-glitch

Oh mah godz, there's like...FIFTY FREAKIN' GUESTS looking at the info thread :eek

Reese Tora

aaaaaand... top spot is no longer mine, that was fast. :P

Dekari

Quote from: Amber Williams on December 18, 2008, 01:13:13 AM
OH GOD WHAT HAVE I STARTED. D:

This auction is going to be brutal since I have to deal with emails. *flails around*

I'll save you some of the headache and just donate what I would have bid (now if only I could remember my pay pal password).  I don't really think any of my character ideas would have fit if on the very off chance I won...they usually end up being too dark and anti-heroish.

But, yeah, just hang in there and all will pass in time.  I know all too well the feelings that coincide with money flowing the wrong way.
I somehow get the feeling that you didn't think your cunning plan all the way through.

Thanks go to Kipiru and Rhyfe for the art work used in avatars.

http://drakedekari.deviantart.com/

mopman

Yup I thought this was a good opportunity to both bid and give my Christmas gift to Amber for giving me the pleaseure of her artwork and stories.  :hug
" Man is the only animal that blushes - Or needs to " Mark Twain

Yugo

I'm going to go with Dekari. Looking at the current top bid, it looks like I don't even have enough money to bid. Already. It'd be easier for me to just donate what I can.  :hug I know there's a big "OHMAHGODS" that comes with suddenly losing your big money buffer. All of a sudden it comes to down to if that one thing goes wrong, will you be able to pay for it? Keep hanging on there.
https://www.weasyl.com/~boximus<br /><br />My Weasyl!

Drakokatze

Finally got around to registering the forum. Although I sadly don't have the funds to help out, I do wish you all the luck and good vibes you may need that you can get everything done <3.

Kryslin

Quote from: Drakokatze on December 18, 2008, 02:02:05 AM
Finally got around to registering the forum. Although I sadly don't have the funds to help out, I do wish you all the luck and good vibes you may need that you can get everything done <3.

I finally got around to registering, too.  However, I do have some spare change laying about, so ... bid's away!

In a contest like this, it all comes down to this important question : "How deep into your bank account to do want to go...?" :)

Steve
Os iusti meditabitur sapientiam,
Et lingua eius loquetur indicium.

ShadesFox

Heee... if nothing else we pick up new members.  More folk to chew on...
The All Purpose Fox

icarus

i had a sinister plan to foil world continuity by demanding a human, should i have won.

but yeesh, ka'superoutbid!

but hey, major more power to the high bidders. amber needs the fundage far more than the desire to have a character cameo needs fulfilling!

kellyn: it's like being a secret agent, outside we look perfectly normal. no giant metal faces or tattooed eyes or mohawks. BUT. SECRETLY. DRAWING RAINBOW MONSTERS AND ROOOOLE PLAAAAAYING oh the shame oh the humanity, and man i know so many more cool people now wtf is that

Tapewolf

Quote from: Amber Williams on December 18, 2008, 01:13:13 AM
Do we get a confirmation email?  My emails don't always get through to people (including Ren)   :rolleyes

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Mao

Quote from: Yugo on December 18, 2008, 01:43:09 AM
I'm going to go with Dekari. Looking at the current top bid, it looks like I don't even have enough money to bid. Already. It'd be easier for me to just donate what I can.  :hug

Honestly, I would hope that everyone takes this approach.  And to those who don't win in the auction to donate what they would have paid anyway.. or at least part of it.

Edit: Amber, are you using a spreadsheet/database to keep track of the bids?  It might make your life a little bit easier.

Sofox

Quote from: Janus Whitefurr on December 18, 2008, 01:25:08 AM
I'm just here to observe the chaos as it unfolds, and Amber gets buried under emails. I'd have no chance bidding, soooo...  :U

Don't worry, you'll find a way to get a cameo in DMFA someday...

Amber Williams

I have been doing my best to send out at least one confirmation email when I get them. If you sent something in and havent gotten an email in regards to the auction now, that likely means the mail got snarfed.

I need to get me some lunch and get to work.I got stories of Abels to do tonight. That and I need to update the Amber vs Beavers later this evening. 

Kamunt

Alas, I am but a poor college student! I have nary a penny to my name!

No but seriously. :U I'd definitely help out my favorite webcomic artist in a heartbeat if I could. Though, from the looks of the present highest auction bid....I'm not sure anything I'd donate would mean much anyways. :rolleyes

Valynth

I would bid....  But the second-highest could eat my entire bank account and buy a PS3. plus a hardy helping of change.

Then there's the fact I'm still in college and need to get mah books for the next section....  So yeah, much support from me for you Amber, but sadly no monies.

*hates being sidelined by money.*
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

Talashar

Sorry for being a voice of reason, but... Canada is a land generally known to be welcoming of newcomers , immigrants and so on. Are there no organizations, possibly even non-profits, whose job it is to help people like Amber deal with all the the red tape?

Alondro

:erk  Ok, I am officially WAYYYY outbid.  To beat that I'd have to forego Anthrocon!

Charline will now do such horrible things to me!   :cry
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Jairus

Quote from: Alondro on December 18, 2008, 04:44:43 PM
:erk  Ok, I am officially WAYYYY outbid.  To beat that I'd have to forego Anthrocon!

Charline will now do such horrible things to me!   :cry

*cracks knuckles*
Charline.
*rests an arm on Charline's shoulder*
Now, you are going to be nice to Alondro, and you are not going to hurt him or do horrible thing like that... or I will make you sorry you had. Understand? *pats Charline on the head* Good.

If it makes you feel any better, I was outbid way back at $350. I knew I wasn't gonna win. I mean, I could outbid Morris (I wanted to write Maurice for some reason), but then I'd have to forgo food for a month or two.

mopman

Quote from: Talashar on December 18, 2008, 04:38:43 PM
Sorry for being a voice of reason, but... Canada is a land generally known to be welcoming of newcomers , immigrants and so on. Are there no organizations, possibly even non-profits, whose job it is to help people like Amber deal with all the the red tape?

Yes there are but their function is to aid people who have difficulty or are totally lacking in the ability to speak english or french.

Did some volunteer work a few years back and there are never enough peeps helping so those with the greatest need get the help.
" Man is the only animal that blushes - Or needs to " Mark Twain

Amber Williams

Quote from: Talashar on December 18, 2008, 04:38:43 PM

Part of the problem is that even if I was to get free consultation, there are several expenses that must be done regardless.  Like the medical exam with an xray. While I dont doubt an organization likely could point me to a clinic that quickly and easily does such things, I would still have to pay the doctor.  

And the processing fee where I request to be allowed residency and Mason requests to be allowed sponsership...those are pretty much 500 and they are admittedly not even for a guarantee yes...just a "Hey read our papers".  If we were to be rejected, its very likely we would have to resubmit the fees next time around.

Though truthfully, the largest sum is not so much the fees so much life itself.  A place to stay costs $800 a month, our groceries cost generally about 70-100 a week. (And thats us cutting back and making a list of 12 things in advance and refusing to break from it)  Bills and utilities, and all sorts of other things.  When frugal, Mason and I can save away 400 a month from his job.  Normally...this means Mason and I can subsist when things dont go wackity...but this fall it seems several things went wackity.

As the immigration officer said at the border, Canada is a land that tries to be friendly to immigrants...but don't mistake that for them being pushovers.  They still have fees and processes and all the various beurocracies that any other country has.

As an aside, its sad when I couldnt afford to cameo myself after 2 bids. :U

Jairus

Quote from: Amber Williams on December 18, 2008, 04:58:47 PM
As an aside, its sad when I couldnt afford to cameo myself after 2 bids. :U

Awww... wait, wasn't that second bid me? I'm sorry. :hug.

Well, look on the bright side, Amber: you don't have to pay yourself to cameo in your own comic! And if I ever make it big and make a career out of writing, you get a free cameo from me.

As for the rest of the info, that's actually kind of interesting to hear. But it sounds like you at least know what you're doing, which is really good. Keep going!

Lisky

yea, i've got 0 desposable income before the end of the year, but if you still need a little help in jan, i'd gladly help out since i just got a new job and the pay will be pretty much entirely disposable income...
on a (not) completly unrelated note, if your in the area of Lansing MI you can get pictures or other free stuff from "captain morgan", as the company is doing promotions at local bars, and clubs thur, fri and sat nights starting like jan 10th...

I support the demon race (usually with my hands)!   Also... LOOK A DISTRACTION! -->