About the comic..something i noticed

Started by Nekoboy, October 16, 2008, 02:34:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nekoboy

Amber ,why is it that in the normal comics that under the strip is a saying , like for example
http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_940.php and how it says under the pic #940: At least the definition of suprise is still spot on. [] Now why is it that the new love date ones like this http://www.missmab.com/Comics/PD_05.php do not have a saying? Why is that Amber?

Lego3400

Because it's a Mini arc? I dunno actually. I guess It's just amber's choice.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Amber usually writes those subtitles for the main strip, only.

if you look at Abel's Story, they don't exist there, either.

...thinking about it, that's going to cause me some problems. Hmm.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Nekoboy

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 16, 2008, 02:55:41 PM

Hmm....i wodner why it would be great to have a extra comment for the women her self xD

Jack McSlay

probably because amber is lazy to come up with page titles for the secondary comics...
Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to resume.

Nekoboy

Quote from: Jack McSlay on October 16, 2008, 06:08:46 PM
probably because amber is lazy to come up with page titles for the secondary comics...

*Hits Jack McSlay on the head* AMBER IS NOT LAZY!!!....She just has a rare working disorder that makes her not want to do things and go to sleep =3 xD

Azraelle

Glad I'm not the only one.  We should start a support group.

Darkmoon

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 16, 2008, 02:55:41 PM

Can't you just have them generate from the comic titles (since that's pretty much what they are)? I'd say just have them appear on all the pages. Less confusing that way.
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Darkmoon on October 17, 2008, 05:53:33 PM
Can't you just have them generate from the comic titles (since that's pretty much what they are)? I'd say just have them appear on all the pages. Less confusing that way.

Sure I can. The other ones don't have any titles.

... which is where it gets messy. But we'll take that out of here...

Mao

<nerd-speak>Couldn't you just check for a message and if not have a default one?  not sure how you're handling these things, but a simple if statement of some sort should resolve that, or even have it pre-populated if you're using a db.</nerd-speak>

Huh wuh?  What happened there?

Darkmoon

That was one of the options that occured to me as well. ;)

llearch n'n'daCorna

... the code isn't as simple as "if there's a message"

There's "if there's a message, prepend it with the strip number, if they've asked us to, otherwise don't, and add it, but only if it's needed, and if it doesn't exist, then don't bother, or set it to null."

The problem is, making it work smoothly with "yes, prepend" and "no, it doesn't exist" when both cases exist on the site. And in some cases you _do_ want prepending and in some cases you _don't_, and I can't say ahead of time which way to go.

So I need to make my code deal with all the options. Which aren't simple.

Edit:
Oh, and sometimes the message might exist, but not be valid ("", or a single, or multiple, space or tab character) which means I need to check it has content as well.

Darkmoon

Why not just give every comic a title, then? As an example:

Abel Story 1
Abel Story 2
Abel Story 3

Et all...

As a bonus, with your system, we can do chapters, so the Abel Story arc would be broken up in half, just like she has it.

llearch n'n'daCorna

... and all the wallpaper war images.
And the bonus comics.
And...

It's not that I'm trying to say this is a problem. I'm merely noting it as something I need to spend some time thinking about.

Darkmoon

You or I... one of us is gonna end up moving over the archives...

Nekoboy

Quote from: Darkmoon on October 18, 2008, 09:27:56 PM
You or I... one of us is gonna end up moving over the archives...

Eremm...what? and one other thing i notivced in the new date thing for some strange reason the Soda thing isnt there? why is that?

Damaris

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

Dagardo

Quote from: Damaris on November 03, 2008, 07:18:54 AM
What soda thing?

I think he means the soda intermission thing that Darkmoon put up while Amber was sick.

Brunhidden

that would be beer, or ale if you preffer.... probably neither a lager or a stout, although pilsner is a possibility....

meh, just leave it at beer
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Damaris

actually, I don't know why I phrased my question like that.

"what the heck are you talking about- please rephrase in english" would have been more appropriate.

*sighs*

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

Nekoboy

Quote from: Damaris on November 03, 2008, 07:18:54 AM
What soda thing?

On the dateing game there was a special 8 bit soda can....but its gone now D:

Damaris

Do not necro threads.  This is covered in Rule 4, Section B.  One's posting ability is not an excuse for posting in a dead thread.

I am locking this thread, and will be having a discussion with the moderation staff as to whether someone who so blatantly continues to not read the rules needs to stay.  I've had enough, and you're unlucky enough to catch me on a really, really bad day.