Fallible Computers

Started by Jer-oh-me, October 09, 2008, 06:02:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which of the following has failed on you the most with computers?

Hard drive.
10 (58.8%)
Motherboard.
4 (23.5%)
Power Supply.
2 (11.8%)
Disk Drives.
1 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: October 29, 2008, 06:02:41 AM

Jer-oh-me

Well, as some of you know, I've had yet another computer die on me recently, been having quite a stroke of rotten luck with them, and it was the Hard disk yet again.

Janus Whitefurr

My computers (I've had two of my own through the years, this being the second) eat PSUs for breakfast.
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Tapewolf

Mostly it's been disks and filesystems for me.  I maintain a monthly backup schedule, but this is itself to a pair of portable HDDs, which concerns me slightly.  I'd prefer something a bit more durable as a backup media, but there is nothing else that I can afford which still gives the kind of capacity I need.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Lady Buggery

Oddly enough the keypad and power supply are always the first things to go on my computers. I've had to replace the power supply on this computer and I've only had a few issues of crap getting under the keys. I must say, my current MAC has served me well. *knock on wood* All the PC's I've ever owned have been temperamental pieces o crap. (My laptop purrrs when I dis a Dell product, especially their lousy outsourced tech support.)

Ryudo Lee

Video cards, monitors, and mice get eaten on a regular basis with my machines.  They particularly like to get all nomnomnom on ATI cards, ViewSonic monitors (both CRT and LCD), and Microsoft mice.  So I have since switched to nVidia, Acer (or Dell), and Logitech.

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

Mao

Ram, Video Card,  PSU and Motherboard, in that order for me.  I usually wind up over heating them.

Kipiru

Heating has been my greatest problem, with my old crate!

superluser

Dust antelopes.

Lost a power supply to them, and I'm constantly having to clean out my heat sinks.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Myxini

Quote from: superluser on October 09, 2008, 02:35:07 PM
Dust antelopes.

Lost a power supply to them, and I'm constantly having to clean out my heat sinks.

I have the closely related Lint Wildebeests.  my desk is right beside a door to the screenprint/embroidery floor.  they've fried one power supply already, and I can only hope the new one is doing ok, it's in a really tough spot to see/clean

Azlan

Any non-western digital hard drive has died on me... without fail.  I've killed a few northbridges with OCing.  Last but not least, sound cards have randomly blown up on me and BSoD'd endless Windows boxes.

My Linux systems are running on 3 year old and older AMDs and low-end MBs and have yet to die of any hardware failure.
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

DarkAudit

Lm_sensors FTW. Standard package in nearly every linux distro. Some motherboard vendors have monitoring software for Windows as well (at least my ABIT board has a set).

No matter what you're using, it's a good idea to have something there to keep track of temperatures and voltages so you have some warning when a potential problem is coming.
The power and the glory is over, so I'll take it.
The power and the glory is over, so I'll make it.
The power and the glory is over, and I'll break it.
The power and the glory is over....

Jer-oh-me

Well as I said at the beginning of the thread I have had Harddisks die on me the most. Though I did have one have a power adapter socket, it was a laptop, go bad, even after the guy who'd replaced it said it wouldn't, couldn't go bad. I'd gotten the lappy for free except for what it cost to fix it. After that it was a desktop that a friend didn't need anymore, and it was a tad temperamental, and then a Dell lappy that up and died in the middle of operation with a weird clicking sound.