The clock loses it

Started by Tapewolf, September 27, 2008, 07:57:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Occasionally I've mentioned a talking clock of mine which has been known to go on a bender.  This usually comes up in a discussion of unlikely things to crash.  Last night I was looking at it again with a view to using it as an alarm clock, since my new watch has a pathetic alarm which I slept right through on Friday morning and was late for work.

This is what it said:

http://www.jpmorris.force9.co.uk/music/clock_gone_apesh__.mp3

..apologies for the sniggering in the recording, I just couldn't help it.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Turnsky

at least it didn't start saying..

"Llllook at you hackerrr, p..pathetic creature of MEAT AND BONE...."

or

"This was a Triumph..."

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Lysander

Is it in pain? Does it wish it could be in pain? Is it sad to want to laugh at that pain?   :januscat
TytajLucheek

Tapewolf

Quote from: Lysander on September 27, 2008, 01:28:19 PM
Is it in pain? Does it wish it could be in pain? Is it sad to want to laugh at that pain?   :januscat
As an analogy that's fairly close.  When the batteries go on that unit, the logic starts to fail - usually with hilarious results.

FWIW, you test the alarm by holding down the button.  As a side effect, it will generally say the time about three times before the alarm goes... there's a complete set of that early on in the recording.  What it is not supposed to do is make a farty sound instead of the alarm.

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 27, 2008, 01:54:46 PM
Quote from: Lysander on September 27, 2008, 01:28:19 PM
As an analogy that's fairly close.  When the batteries go on that unit, the logic starts to fail - usually with hilarious results.
I giggled a little, but I think my logic processor just broke :<
The willful torment of innocent little machines must EEEEEEEND!!! Free them from their pain! :crying Join People for the Ethical Treatment of Automatic-machines (PETA) today! >:O

Tapewolf

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on September 27, 2008, 02:01:24 PM
The willful torment of innocent little machines must EEEEEEEND!!!

Wilful is if I hook the thing up to a variable power supply and keep reducing the voltage until it starts to lose the plot.  Though I guess not checking the batteries might count as neglect.

Ren Gaulen

..Now imagine it worked fine when you tested it, but went all "SHODAN" in the morning. >:3

Darkmoon

Honestly, from the sound of the recording, it was static-ing out after repeating itself three times. I thought it was a little freaky, like it was trying to open a gateway to the white noise realm.
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

Damaris

Ironically, after hearing it, but before reading Darkmoon's comment, I said that it sounded like it was trying to break through the fabric of space and time.

I think we spend too much time together.

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

Darkmoon

In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

Damaris

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

Janus Whitefurr

Where Damaris and Darkmoon are going, they won't need eyes.
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Damaris

Unless we want to be kinky...

Mao

I was expecting it to sing that Daisy song that Hal was so fond of.

Sofox

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 27, 2008, 02:02:41 PM
The willful torment of innocent little machines must EEEEEEEND!!!

Wilful is if I hook the thing up to a variable power supply and keep reducing the voltage until it starts to lose the plot..

I've got an idea...

Tapewolf

Quote from: Sofox on September 28, 2008, 10:46:27 AM
I've got an idea...

If anyone's interested, it's this kind of thing:
http://www.lighthouse-sf.org/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=40

Mine has the colours inverted but is otherwise the same basic design and spec.  It's also about 15-18 years older, so the internals may be different (less buggy?) these days.

rabid_fox

Quote from: Janus Whitefurr on September 27, 2008, 11:43:41 PM
Where Damaris and Darkmoon are going, they won't need eyes.

Merciful christ, I lol'ed. Simply because that's one of my favourite lines from anything ever. It's actually my windows shut-down noise.

Behold!

http://boomp3.com/listen/bytksa5b1_3/eyeball

Oh dear.

Zedd

Alondro

The willful torment of innocent little machines must EEEEEEEND!!! Free them from their pain! :crying Join People for the Ethical Treatment of Automatic-machines (PETA) today! >:O

*dissects an old laptop slowly and painfully!*  SUFFER AND DIEEEEE!!!!   :mwaha
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: Alondro on September 30, 2008, 03:31:16 PM
*dissects an old laptop slowly and painfully!*  SUFFER AND DIEEEEE!!!!   :mwaha
NUUUUUUU! D: *firebombs your laboratory*