CVRPG is Down

Started by Darkmoon, July 20, 2008, 11:24:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darkmoon

Looks as if CVRPG is down for now. I dunno what happened, but it was recent, since it was working when I started on the comic tonight. I'll check back tomorrow morning, and if it's up (and I remember) I'll post it then. Otherwise, I'll post the comics tomorrow night, along with that update (since these comics are already done).
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

Seth C Triggs

That probably explains that bizarre lack of CSS styling I had yesterday. Well I look forward to it returning!

The stories continue to be hilarious.

-Seth
BIBP Webcomic - bizarre and NSFW - http://www.bibp.com

Darkmoon

Yeah, any time the server has issues, it does a weird layout or thematic crap out. WHen I tell them what's going on they're always "oh, we don't see any issue..."

Morons.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Issue appears to have been resolved.

The issue is, it stops responding and delivering content on some of, but not all, the requests. Particularly not the first.

So testing it by telnet to the server and typing in "GET / HTTP/1.0\n\n" doesn't actually trigger the flaw. And you can bet that the issue is on the border of their network - ie, the internal test from their desktop doesn't actually test the bit that's broken.

Next time it happens, let me know, and I'll run some validation before you call them, so you can say "this device here is hung, please restart your router at $IP" type response. I should have done it this time, but...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Darkmoon

Thanks. I'll remember that.

Destina Faroda

You need a new host.

There's one thing to have downtime, but the support you're getting is terrible.

Get away from these people, please.
Sig coming...whenever...

Darkmoon

llearch and I are in talks about setting up our own server.

Mao

Are you sure you'd get better service from llearch?  He's just as likely to take your site down as a prank as you are to have their service screw up.  Though admittedly the customer service would be better.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Sorry, I won't service him like that.

He's just not my type. And Damaris scares me.

Mao

Sounds to me that you've got an optimal working relationship then.  You won't hit on your client so there can't be any awkward mornings at the virtual office or messy breakups.. and you won't give him to much crap for fear of Damaris killing you in a horrible display of box cutting skills.  She may even go so far as to make you into a Celene Dion standy.. and that my friend is a fate far worse than any else you could imagine.

So in closing:  Hurrah for this idea.  Working CVRPG for all of us!  Woooooo!

Destina Faroda

Your own server...are you sure you can handle it?  Managing a server is a LOT of work.
Sig coming...whenever...

Darkmoon

llearch'll be doing the heavy lifting. It's what he does for a living, so I don't think it'll be that bad.

Destina Faroda

Well what type of connection is being used for this server?  What does it run on?  Red Hat?  FreeBSD?  What type of connection does this server have?  Is this a server in another facility specifically used for web hosting?

And does llearch work for a web hosting company, or does he maintain servers for a large company?
Sig coming...whenever...

llearch n'n'daCorna

For your first five questions: We're still looking. Likely OS would be linux, but the distribution would depend on the hosting company; many of them have specific builds they supply, so depending on who we chose, the OS may be chosen for us. The connect is a minimum 100Mb, from what we've looked at, with something on the order of a terabyte of bandwidth per month. And, obviously, it depends.

For your last: I work for a web development company. We host websites for approximately 30-50 % of the top 1000 publicly traded companies in the UK. And I'm responsible for something on the order of 120 Slackware, Debian, Solaris, and Windows servers.

Not counting the servers I run for myself, at home, and in colo, with additional work I've done for others, I've been running servers since 1995.

Is that sufficient of a pedigree for you, or should I fish out my CV?

Mao

Oh, oh!  I'd like to see it!  It's likely got a lot more shininess than mine.

llearch n'n'daCorna

-.-

I knew making that offer would be a mistake.

Darkmoon

Just open MSPaint, draw a C and a V, and post it.

Mao

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on July 23, 2008, 05:58:16 AM
-.-

I knew making that offer would be a mistake.

Hehe, you knew there were other people in the field about who might actually want to know.  You accepted the risks inherent in that when you posted.  Anyway, I wasn't serious.  Reading some of your posts has more than tipped me off to your knowledge level.  Some made me question it, but I think I've got an idea. ;-)

Damaris

wait? You actually have experience, llearch?  I had no idea....

:)

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

llearch n'n'daCorna

Yeah, well, it's not something I like to let people know about, since they usually then start asking me to resolve the issues they have with windows...

... I haven't run windows on anything (other than accessing someone else's citrix server) in over a year. And even then, I was fighting to get rid of the damn thing...

Mao

Eugh, I hate that.  "Oh, you're a programmer?   I've got this problem and I was wondering..."

Damaris

Sad but true.  Someday someone online will figure out my skill set, and then I'll be screwed right along with you ;)

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

Darkmoon

Well, for a while there people really wanted pictures of your boobs...

Damaris

Yeah, but I think all of the people who wanted them have them.

Jairus

Quote from: Mowser on July 23, 2008, 07:48:40 PM
Eugh, I hate that.  "Oh, you're a programmer?   I've got this problem and I was wondering..."

I know someone who is, for lack of a better term, a tech geek. He does everything. Every time I go over to his house, he's got some new gadget or another. He even runs a server for some people. Guess who my family calls when some computer or bit of hardware goes belly-up?

Edit: Wow, Damaris and Darkmoon, you two move fast.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Darkmoon

Well, I will admit I use llearch a bit more than I probably should. He's my go-to for PHP needs.

Thankfully, when he needs some graphic work, he calls on me, so hopefully it balances out a bit.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Damaris on July 23, 2008, 10:51:02 PM
Yeah, but I think all of the people who wanted them have them.

I beg to differ. :-P

Damaris

You've never asked, boxy :p

Mao

Awww, this feels like a twisted form of forum peer bonding.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Damaris on July 24, 2008, 07:23:55 AM
You've never asked, boxy :p

I wasn't talking about me. ;-]

Quote from: Mowser on July 24, 2008, 07:29:58 AM
Awww, this feels like a twisted form of forum peer bonding.

What's twisted about it?