Brotherhood of the Machine (OOC Thread) {02}

Started by Azlan, August 13, 2007, 12:20:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on October 18, 2007, 07:28:06 PM
Oh great. I was hoping that Dorcan and the soldiers would be right behind Jexx.

Firstly, Dorcan had the signal lines in a partially-dismantled state, which it would not be a good idea to leave them in just in case they are all called back to base or something.  This is unlikely but not impossible.  If the mission is silently aborted, they will not want to leave evidence.

Secondly, your description of how he tore off like that gave me the idea that he'd just shot off instantly before the others could react.  And I had always assumed they would take it slowly and carefully, but that may just be my natural caution speaking.

QuoteI was planning for this exact thing to happen AFTER we reached our destination, with Dorcan yelling 'stop', because I figured he would do that. I have apparently figured right, but my timing is way off. I never imagined that it would be over this quickly.

Well IMHO the idea is to neutralise the tunnel's defences so that they can figure out where they need to go since it seems to be a maze without a definite ending.  Indeed, it might not HAVE a destination at all, just a closed loop for accessing the cables.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

techmaster-glitch

Well, now that I think about it, you're the one who gave me a nudge to get going. Given that, I thought that you would have anticipated Jexx, but oh well. What's done is done.

Azlan

Have fun storming the sewers!  Don't forget to count the wheelbarrow as an asset!

I'll wait for an indication from Ryu that the Brotherhood should assault us...
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

techmaster-glitch

And now that I think about it even more, Jexx gave everyone a heads-up well before he took off
  "Alrighty," Jexx said as everyone else came to agreement with each other. Jexx going first is exactly what he wanted. "These turrents are placed a nice distance apart, 'bout ten feet. I can mow them down as I go." Jexx looked behind him, his smile getting wider and wider at the prospect of freaking finally getting some action. "Try to keep up..." Jexx said.
   He turned back down to face the tunnel. The turrets in the distance whirred back and forth, still searching for the intruders. Jexx began focusing as much as he can, holding up his charged handcannons, and unknowingly tapping his metal foot at a rapid pace. He began muttering under his breath incessantly, and his foot tapped faster. If it could be seen through the glow of his handcannons, it might become apparent to everyone behind Jexx that his markings were also starting to glow...but Jexx didn't notice.
And it took some time from when he said to keep up, until he actually went off. Plenty of time for everyone behind him to prepare to run like hell like he did.
I guess I'm just a little irked that Dorcan prematurely killed what I was planning all because he either wasn't attentive enough or was just plain slow...But as said before, what's done is done. Just gotta go with things as they happen.

Ryudo Lee

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 18, 2007, 07:40:16 PM
Well IMHO the idea is to neutralise the tunnel's defences so that they can figure out where they need to go since it seems to be a maze without a definite ending.  Indeed, it might not HAVE a destination at all, just a closed loop for accessing the cables.

It's like a big spider-web network of tunnels, where all the main tunnels converge on the center of town, with intersections connecting the main tunnels.  The intersections aren't going to have turrets as they're smaller, and the main tunnels are larger.

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

Tapewolf

Quote from: Ryudo Lee on October 19, 2007, 09:50:24 AM
It's like a big spider-web network of tunnels, where all the main tunnels converge on the center of town, with intersections connecting the main tunnels.  The intersections aren't going to have turrets as they're smaller, and the main tunnels are larger.

Mmph.  I misread your earlier description as "it doesn't have intersections" which gave me a rather peculiar vision of the layout.

**EDIT**

I'm assuming that one of our backup does have medical supplies...

Ryudo Lee

Well there's no medic, but they'll have rudimentary first-aid training.  What you have with you are two grunts, a techie, a demolitionist, and a torch.

lucas marcone

I'm just waiting for Jexx to take on a "Well DUH! gimmie that first aid kit before you make things any worse" attitude

Tapewolf

Quote from: Ryudo Lee on October 19, 2007, 12:35:19 PM
Well there's no medic, but they'll have rudimentary first-aid training.  What you have with you are two grunts, a techie, a demolitionist, and a torch.
Okay, patched...

llearch n'n'daCorna

A torch?

They have one torch between the four of them? Surely you keep your guys better equipped than that?

*hides*
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 19, 2007, 04:36:57 PM
A torch?
They have one torch between the four of them? Surely you keep your guys better equipped than that?

I obviously need to watch more American war films because I don't really know what he meant by that.

"Another problem with the modern Reaver... refusal to acknowledge something beyond their comprehension."
--Benghal, Foxfire Chronicles

Ryudo Lee

I thought it was a common phrase across all militaries...  Chalk up another one for my ignorance.  A torch is the guy who carries a cutting torch, for getting through locked doors when they don't have a key.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Ryudo Lee on October 19, 2007, 05:24:10 PM
I thought it was a common phrase across all militaries...  Chalk up another one for my ignorance.
Remember that the word 'torch' has a rather different meaning on each side of the pond.
The first guess simply being stupid (which llearch is alluding to) I wondered if you meant 'flamethrower' although why you would want to do that in an enclose space didn't quite click.
But yes, I really should have thought of 'oxyacetylene torch'.  My bad.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Ryudo Lee on October 19, 2007, 05:24:10 PM
I thought it was a common phrase across all militaries...  Chalk up another one for my ignorance.  A torch is the guy who carries a cutting torch, for getting through locked doors when they don't have a key.

It probably is... across militaries. I'm not military, and I suspect half the players aren't either. I was merely bringing attention to the jargon in my usual fashion - to whit, amusing myself. ;-]

I would note that I'm aware of "torch" meaning "flash-light" or "a burning branch" or, as listed, oxyacetylene. I wouldn't go for the third one first. Perhaps you would? (I ask, merely because the differences in mindset interest me, and I collect examples...)
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: lucas marcone on October 19, 2007, 01:12:50 PM
I'm just waiting for Jexx to take on a "Well DUH! gimmie that first aid kit before you make things any worse" attitude

Actually, since Jexx has never recieved first aid or given it to himself before, he has the "shake it off, tough it out" mentality. To him, it's merely a flesh wound. He just lets it bleed itself our then heal naturally.

Tapewolf

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on October 19, 2007, 07:18:34 PM
Actually, since Jexx has never recieved first aid or given it to himself before, he has the "shake it off, tough it out" mentality. To him, it's merely a flesh wound. He just lets it bleed itself our then heal naturally.

Yeah.  To be honest I was thinking in terms of a bad cut, not something to halt the mission over.

Arcalane

You could use the torch to cauterize it. :B

techmaster-glitch

Actually, that's an even better idea...definately something Jexx would do :erk
AH! Of course! I cannot belive I forgot! I must go edit now... brb

EDIT: Editing done. I cannot believe I didn't think of this in the first place. How could I possible forget the one weapon/tool that Jexx has at his disposal? Holy jeeze, I'm beating myself up right now.
I guess Jexx has done first-aid on himself before...in his own way...

EDIT EDIT:
"Is that normal for the people on your planet?" he asked.
Oh, I soooo hope Ryudo comes up with a good responce that leaves absolutely no doubt that, no, this isn't >:3

Azlan

Torch is not a very universal term for militaries, the limeys like to call them "hot blue spanners" for some reason. 

Morgan didn't notice the lack of a medic because I assumed we had one.  Any combat unit takes a medic with them, SEALS deploy Corpsman, Rangers have a medic with them, so this oversight is the player forgetting that he's gaming with civvies who likely don't know their rifle from their gun :B

Arcalane

Quote from: Azlan on October 19, 2007, 10:45:39 PM
Torch is not a very universal term for militaries, the limeys like to call them "hot blue spanners" for some reason.

Not heard that one before, and watch the terms you're slinging around. :P Whilst I might not take offense to 'em, others will.

Azlan

Quote from: Arcalane on October 20, 2007, 01:58:55 AM

Not heard that one before, and watch the terms you're slinging around. :P Whilst I might not take offense to 'em, others will.

Fine, fine, take all the fences you want, but I'm going to keep the gates.

I used to call Lore a pommy all the time...

Arcalane

Quote from: Azlan on October 20, 2007, 02:35:28 PMFine, fine, take all the fences you want, but I'm going to keep the gates.

I used to call Lore a pommy all the time...

Just don't put me on "defence", or you'll find a lot of fences going missing. >:3

Tapewolf

techmaster-glitch

Well, whad'ya know Tapewolf, there he is now :U

It never fails, does it Tapey? If your waiting for something, the moment you get fed up and wonder aloud where the heck it is, it comes/happens.
It happens every time, doesn't it? It does to me.

Ryudo Lee

Sorry folks.  Had a busy weekend, then my car's power steering pressure hose decided to fail so I spent the majority of yesterday waiting for the mecahnic to fix it.

techmaster-glitch

It's alright. I knew you'd be back sometime, I just had to sit back and be patient. Believe me, over the years, that's a skill that I've had to learn very well.

Tapewolf

techmaster-glitch

No. They aren't gonna do that again for awhile now, probably.

EDIT: Scratch that. They might start glowing very softly soon, but not at this very moment.

EDIT EDIT: Just been looking back through the older posts to refresh my memory on the things gone by (and now looking back, some of my older posts are making me go, 'what the HELL was I thinking?'), and I think I've got it down. Jexx's markings will glow softly at times of either the beginnings of high emotion (which happens alot to Jexx, usually hate or rage) or when he's hyperfocusing. Hyperfocusing meaning he's actually going slow and methodical. Doesn't happen often, usually only when he actually needs to sneak, and is doing it at a very high risk. On the other end, they will light up and shine brightly if he goes into extreme emotion, like when he goes into a screaming fury. This also extends to the pupils of his eyes shining as well (and if you don't remember, his eyes are irisless. The actual pupils are red.  He's also got a red X on his forehead, in adition tho the marks on his torso). There's also another set of stuff, but none of them will be happening until Ryudo says they do.

Tapewolf

It's interesting to note that while PBH and the others made some kind of discovery about the chip it was never passed on the rest of the team  >:3

Prof B Hunnydew

Really I have not been able to get anything out of the Tech guys(or LEE),,, I would pass it on to you...what I know

Lee has not enlighted me about the nature of the chip.  I know only that it is passive. or only a receiver... What will it do if it is not receiving the signal, I am still trying to find out.

PBH