I am a newbie. We are a common species.

Started by TheCrazyMeerkat, May 24, 2008, 07:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheCrazyMeerkat

*The little sanity this forum has left shatters as soon as I create an account* Oh look. I broke reality. Again.

My name is Meerkat. :3

I am a multi-tasking nerd... person... thing. I write, read, draw, and program. I enjoy anime, music, video games... The works.

I substitute regular keys for HTML symbol entities. (At least as far as quotation marks and ellipses goes.) But they don't work here so Character Map is my best friend assigned to F10. :)

So I heard you like the Tahoma font? :U

I enjoy web comics. Haven't read all too many, but I've read DMFA from the very beginning up to the current strip, including all the Wallpaper Wars Archives over the period of three or four days. And yes, I already know that I have no life, thank you.

So... Hi?

Roureem Egas

Welcome!

And the cake is a lie, but my companion cube will never betray me.

Tapewolf

Welcome aboard.  Make sure you do read the rules, do not annoy the moderators, and so on and so forth.

Your list sounds familiar actually... I also read, write, draw (somewhat) and program.  And write music and break video games...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Gabi

Yes, as I read the first post I tought that it seemed to come from the average CM member (if such a thing exists).

Welcome, I think you'll fit in just fine. :mowsmile
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

TheCrazyMeerkat

Quote from: Roureem Egas on May 24, 2008, 08:03:13 PM
Welcome!

And the cake is a lie, but my companion cube will never betray me.
Thank you~

The cake is a lie, yus. But it is delicious.

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 24, 2008, 08:26:15 PM
Welcome aboard.  Make sure you do read the rules, do not annoy the moderators, and so on and so forth.

Your list sounds familiar actually... I also read, write, draw (somewhat) and program.  And write music and break video games...

I did before I made my account. |D I'm one of those weird people that reads the rules of any given site before either signing-up, or doing anything at all with my account.

My coding skills are failing miserably, though. xD I can handle CSS and HTML just fine. (And XHTML, I think, but I can't remember much of the differences. Which is bad.) However, JavaScript, ASP/ASP.net, and PHP have managed to magically turn into random keystrokes. </3 *Needs to learn and/or re-learn everything from scratch*

Quote from: Gabi on May 24, 2008, 10:07:22 PM
Yes, as I read the first post I tought that it seemed to come from the average CM member (if such a thing exists).

Yay! I fit the norm! 8D

Neat. Someone thinks I'll fit in. :)

Suwako

Quote from: The Crazy Meerkat on May 25, 2008, 01:17:47 AM

Yay! I fit the norm! 8D

Fire, There shall be fire, that is the norm, yes. Of course there shall be greetings as well, that is the norm, yes. So hereby you a greeted, just like any other, yes.

It's raining napalm, hallelujah, it's raining napalm...

TheCrazyMeerkat

Quote from: Aiyno on May 25, 2008, 03:08:31 AM

Yay! I fit the norm! 8D

Fire, There shall be fire, that is the norm, yes. Of course there shall be greetings as well, that is the norm, yes. So hereby you a greeted, just like any other, yes.

It's raining napalm, hallelujah, it's raining napalm...

Raining... Neat. [o.o] *Watches*

Fire and greetings are the norm. Duly noted. :3

(I am so loving how cute all the emoticons are here. *Hugs them*)

llearch n'n'daCorna

I did before I made my account. |D I'm one of those weird people that reads the rules of any given site before either signing-up, or doing anything at all with my account.

No! I don't believe it! Such a creature is a total fabrication!

The newbie is a lie! The newbie is a lie!
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on May 25, 2008, 04:31:42 AM

This newbie is the truth, llearch! Let him be!

Welcome, Crazy Meerkat. Welcome to Clockwork Mansion. It's safer here. Beware of the box (it will try to crush your soul), random fires (asbestos may become your friend), sentient bubblegum (if it catches you, it won't let go), guys with swords (they cleave stuff) and the people who tell you to beware of the people. Follow the rules, venerate the immortal Empress, have fun.

Tapewolf

Good - we've had a depressing number of people who don't and the result isn't always pretty.

QuoteMy coding skills are failing miserably, though. xD I can handle CSS and HTML just fine. (And XHTML, I think, but I can't remember much of the differences. Which is bad.) However, JavaScript, ASP/ASP.net, and PHP have managed to magically turn into random keystrokes.

In that domain, you're probably better than I am.  My main website is following the same basic design patterns from about 1998, which were a little stale even then.  However it does make the pages nice and easy to convert to PDF or print out for reference.

I earn the crust with C and C++, though.  Sometimes I use x86 assembler but I don't get the chance to do that much these days.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Ren Gaulen on May 25, 2008, 06:09:52 AM

The newbie is delicious and moist. And will be minced.

...Beware of the box (it will try to crush your soul),...

... try?

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on May 25, 2008, 08:22:05 AM

Great. Now I'm hungry.

...Beware of the box (it will try to crush your soul),...

... try?
Alright, alright, I was wrong! Here:
QuoteBeware of the box (it will crush your soul (eventually)).

llearch n'n'daCorna

See? I succeeded with Ren, I shall succeed with everyone, mwahahahaha!

(except for Damaris, she scares me.)

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on May 25, 2008, 10:08:22 AM
See? I succeeded with Ren, I shall succeed with everyone, mwahahahaha!

(except for Damaris, she scares me.)

I never said that you can crush my soul, llearch. :tumbleweed

llearch n'n'daCorna

You mean I'm supposed to ask first?

Where would the fun in that be?

TheCrazyMeerkat

I'm a Vagrant AI lie! :)

Welcome, Crazy Meerkat. Welcome to Clockwork Mansion. It's safer here. Beware of the box (it will try to crush your soul), random fires (asbestos may become your friend), sentient bubblegum (if it catches you, it won't let go), guys with swords (they cleave stuff) and the people who tell you to beware of the people. Follow the rules, venerate the immortal Empress, have fun.
Safer here than where? Or is that a question that will destroy all known existence if asked? (A.K.A. shouldn't be asked?)

Beware of people who tell you to beware of other people? :U *Brain manages to crawl into motion*

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 25, 2008, 07:55:55 AM
Good - we've had a depressing number of people who don't and the result isn't always pretty.

Yeah. It's kind of weird sometimes how people don't bother to spend about 10 minutes reading the rules of a web site. [O_o;]

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 25, 2008, 07:55:55 AM
QuoteMy coding skills are failing miserably, though. xD I can handle CSS and HTML just fine. (And XHTML, I think, but I can't remember much of the differences. Which is bad.) However, JavaScript, ASP/ASP.net, and PHP have managed to magically turn into random keystrokes.

In that domain, you're probably better than I am.  My main website is following the same basic design patterns from about 1998, which were a little stale even then.  However it does make the pages nice and easy to convert to PDF or print out for reference.

I earn the crust with C and C++, though.  Sometimes I use x86 assembler but I don't get the chance to do that much these days.

The W3C HTML Validator would have a heart attack, but it's a tad bit insane with standards. (If I do not want to include an alt attribute, I will not. Get over it. [9_9]) No big deal. :3

Minced? :<

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: The Crazy Meerkat on May 25, 2008, 05:39:03 PM

Safer here than where? Or is that a question that will destroy all known existence if asked? (A.K.A. shouldn't be asked?)
No, no, it's fine to ask. The answer? It is a secret! ;)

Beware of people who tell you to beware of other people? :U *Brain manages to crawl into motion*
I've got the powers... >:3

The box will devour your flesh and then feast upon your soul. It happens sometimes. Don't worry - general resurrection machinery never fails.

TheCrazyMeerkat

Quote from: Ren Gaulen on May 25, 2008, 05:53:02 PM

No, no, it's fine to ask. The answer? It is a secret! ;)

One of life's little mysteries, eh? :3

I've got the powers... >:3
The powers... The powers... OF *insert what you control here*

The box will devour your flesh and then feast upon your soul. It happens sometimes. Don't worry - general resurrection machinery never fails.
What a coincidence! Souls are one of my favourite foods! :)

Of course, when I eat them, the human/being/whatever is unharmed and just regenerates their soul automatically. :/

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: The Crazy Meerkat on May 25, 2008, 07:19:18 PM
Indeed.

The powers of MAKING YOUR BRAIN CRAWL INTO MOTION!!! >:D MWA-HA-HA-HA-HA!!! :veryevil

TheCrazyMeerkat

Quote from: Ren Gaulen on May 25, 2008, 07:31:32 PM
Indeed.
Will it ever be answered? [Owo]

The powers of MAKING YOUR BRAIN CRAWL INTO MOTION!!! >:D MWA-HA-HA-HA-HA!!! :veryevil
Your powers are confusing. :U *Mind crawls into the motion of trying to understand*

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: The Crazy Meerkat on May 25, 2008, 07:47:13 PM
Nnnnnnooooooooooo... >:3

Your powers are confusing. :U *Mind crawls into the motion of trying to understand*
These are the effervescent powers of mine! >:3 Mind Crush! >:D

llearch n'n'daCorna

The W3C HTML Validator would have a heart attack, but it's a tad bit insane with standards. (If I do not want to include an alt attribute, I will not. Get over it. [9_9]) No big deal. :3

The reason for alt attributes is for people who can't see. If you don't have any visiting the site in question, it's not a problem. However, if it's a public, company site, depending on which country you're in, you are legally required to include alt tags for accessibility - amongst other things.

That's the UK and the US, I believe, if not other places as well.

TheCrazyMeerkat

Quote from: Ren Gaulen on May 25, 2008, 07:57:18 PM
Nnnnnnooooooooooo... >:3
Oh yes it will be. :)

Quote from: Ren Gaulen on May 25, 2008, 07:57:18 PM
These are the effervescent powers of mine! >:3 Mind Crush! >:D
TOO-MANY-CONNECTIONS ERROR GENERATE!

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on May 25, 2008, 07:57:55 PM

The reason for alt attributes is for people who can't see. If you don't have any visiting the site in question, it's not a problem. However, if it's a public, company site, depending on which country you're in, you are legally required to include alt tags for accessibility - amongst other things.

That's the UK and the US, I believe, if not other places as well.
So what. I'm going to get sued if I don't include them? :U

bill

Raffe

Welcome!
Quote from: The Crazy Meerkat on May 25, 2008, 04:01:50 AM
(I am so loving how cute all the emoticons are here. *Hugs them*)[/font]
And thats only a fraction of them! They have weird hidden ones like penizilla!(I'd post it, but I think it breaks its own PG rule :B)

And quick, give me your soul! The box can't take it from you if you give it to me!
Hooray ellipsis!

TheCrazyMeerkat

Quote from: Deebs' servant on May 26, 2008, 03:19:56 AM
Welcome!
Thank you! :>

Quote from: The Crazy Meerkat on May 25, 2008, 04:01:50 AM
(I am so loving how cute all the emoticons are here. *Hugs them*)[/font]
And thats only a fraction of them! They have weird hidden ones like penizilla!(I'd post it, but I think it breaks its own PG rule :B)
Yes, I know. I saw it when I was looking for different emoticons.

I think that one's just there to make all the new forum members who weren't expecting it go "WHU?! :U".

And quick, give me your soul! The box can't take it from you if you give it to me!

My soul is safe and happy in the Pentagon. :)

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: The Crazy Meerkat on May 26, 2008, 10:07:40 AM
My soul is safe and happy in the Pentagon. :)
The Pentagon? It does nothing. :3

The box is after you, Meerkat... The box will get you. You can run, but you cannot hide. You fate... is already sealed.

Damaris

Quote from: The Crazy Meerkat on May 25, 2008, 10:42:11 PM

No, but you look like an asshat that can't be bothered to spend fifteen minutes being descriptive of your pictures so visually impaired people can enjoy your site.  But then, if you're not including alt tags I very much doubt you're actually coding in a handicapped accessible style, so it's not like it really matters.

I'm just hoping Darkmoon doesn't decide to wander into this thread.  Although the lecture might be fun to read...

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Damaris on May 26, 2008, 11:37:23 AM
Quote from: The Crazy Meerkat on May 25, 2008, 10:42:11 PM

No, but you look like an asshat that can't be bothered to spend fifteen minutes being descriptive of your pictures so visually impaired people can enjoy your site.  But then, if you're not including alt tags I very much doubt you're actually coding in a handicapped accessible style, so it's not like it really matters.

I'm just hoping Darkmoon doesn't decide to wander into this thread.  Although the lecture might be fun to read...

... and the company that hired you to build the page for them can get sued.

What that does to your hirability in the future is left as an exercise for the reader.

Darkmoon

Well, the simple fact of the matter is that it takes less time to code right from scratch than it does to go back and fix half-assed code once the site is done. Alt tags, proper format, proper layout, these are all there to assist your website, be it for handicapped people, for proper layout in all browsers, for ease of use in bug fixing...

There's a lot of reasons to code properly. The only reason I've heard to code improperly is laziness-- which really doesn't hold water when you tear the argument apart. When I used to code websites with tables and bad code, sure, it felt like I was flying through the process. I could design and code a site in about 5 hours (from concept to art to code). However, when I wanted to go back and make tweaks to the layout, to add new things, to revise whole pages, it took forever. Some of that was accommodated for with a bit of PHP, sure, but the better solution in the log run was to code it right the first time.

Now I can code a website (from concept to code) in under 2 hours. When I want to wholly revise the site, I can do so in a matter of minutes, not hours or days. Plus, it'll display right in all the browsers, and, in case a blind person comes to the site, I don't have to worry about whether they can "see" the content right.

Not coding properly is moronic on the most basic level -- it makes you look like a lazy, idiotic, simple-minded person that should have stuck to Geocities for their site-building, since it's plainly obvious they can't do much better on their own.
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...