Started by Forsaken, August 03, 2007, 04:06:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Forsaken

So, I saw 300 last night.

The movie was good, and interesting- but not very filling. (I watched the entire movie, but can not recall any thing that great about it now.)

What did you think about 300?

FG
:januscat

Tapewolf

About the same.  Although granted I saw it on an airliner with a small screen and the sound in mono...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Zedd

I loved it...God I wish I was part of the spartan life

GabrielsThoughts

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 03, 2007, 04:18:46 PM
About the same.  Although granted I saw it on an airliner with a small screen and the sound in mono...

you didn't miss anything.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

thegayhare

for the most part I agree,  the real battle of themopoli was more interesting to me then the movie but there are a few memerable lines 

particularly the one about fighting in the shade

Damaris

I thought it was an incredibly moving and powerful movie about men (and women) who were willing to sacrifice everything to preserve their way of life.  I, personally, had chills while I was watching it.  This is one of the few movies that we will purchase at full price- usually we wait a year until they get closer to $10.

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

Slavkei

The movie was incredibly good for what it was - not a telling of the battle of Thermopylae, but a movie adaptation of a comic book loosely based on said battle. :P

superluser

Quote from: Damaris on August 03, 2007, 06:48:38 PMI thought it was an incredibly moving and powerful movie about men (and women) who were willing to sacrifice everything to preserve their way of life.

I dunno.  Most of it was taking place in battle, not in Sparta, so I didn't think that there was enough of that aspect to put it into the same class as other civic-minded films.  (I'm trying to think of some other films of that genre, but I can't come up with any.  The Tenth Man was a good novella about that sort of thing)

It was good, and if someone else is watching it, I'll probably watch it again, but I'm not going to buy a copy.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

King Of Hearts

It should've been named the "1000" curse you Miller, for patronizing the contributions of the Greek slaves who fought as free men when they were belittled by them.

I wouldve also liked a little scene with the Battle of Salamis, but that would have been stretching it.

yada yada... for tonight we dine in hell.

superluser

Quote from: King Of Hearts on August 04, 2007, 03:09:21 AMI wouldve also liked a little scene with the Battle of Salamis, but that would have been stretching it.

You know what would be fun?  A film about Battle of Mons Algidus, with an emphasis on Cincinnatus.

A film about the Second Punic War would also be awesome.  Plus, with that story you'd get cool CG shots of war elephants crossing the Alps.

...[searches IMDb]...

Hannibal the Conqueror (2008)?  Vin Diesel as Hannibal?  Awe-freakin'-some!

King Of Hearts

wait... what? Hannibal... Vin Diesel?

That's just  not right... That's like Making the Persian King Xerxes into a seven foot, Bald, effeminate, gold covered... wait...

bill

Wasn't Hannibal supposed to be, like, you know, kinda smart?

Tapewolf

Quote from: King Of Hearts on August 04, 2007, 04:23:44 AM
That's just  not right... That's like Making the Persian King Xerxes into a seven foot, Bald, effeminate, gold covered... wait...

That was a little bit disappointing in 300.  When Superluser described him as having a godlike voice, I was hoping they'd slowed it down and added echo, as was done in Zardoz...

superluser

Quote from: BillBuckner on August 04, 2007, 09:02:32 AMWasn't Hannibal supposed to be, like, you know, kinda smart?

Well, he did manage to lose territory in a war that started with a crippling surprise attack.

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 04, 2007, 09:09:56 AMSuperluser described him as having a godlike voice

Did I?  I certainly might have, but I don't recall actually saying that.

Tapewolf

Quote from: superluser on August 04, 2007, 10:24:06 AM
Apologies, it was Gryphon.

Zedd

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 04, 2007, 10:47:57 AM
Quote from: superluser on August 04, 2007, 10:24:06 AM
Apologies, it was Gryphon.
Darn Gryphon always beating me with Birdo!!!

Zina

Quote from: superluser on August 04, 2007, 03:45:17 AM

Hannibal the Conqueror (2008)?  Vin Diesel as Hannibal?  Awe-freakin'-some!

I don't know how I feel about Vin Diesel apparently "directing" a movie...

superluser

Quote from: Zina on August 05, 2007, 03:34:29 PMI don't know how I feel about Vin Diesel apparently "directing" a movie...

Yeah, I don't know every movie he's been in, but most of the ones I'm familiar with looked so bad, I didn't see them.  So I hope that the `directing' will actually turn out to be someone else letting Vin think he's actually in charge.

On the other hand, it looks like Vin's pet project, so it may be another Bulworth, where an actor does shitty film after shitty film to make enough money to afford to make a film that he actually wants to make.

Zina

Pitch Black was amazing.

Also, he was the voice of the Iron Giant. Ha haaaaah.

techmaster-glitch

The Iron Giant? Oh, I remember that movie! I loved it! It's mention brings back quite a few memories.

Fuyudenki

oh!  My mom's gonna want to see Hannibal the Conqueror.  She thought that's what the movie, "Hannibal" was about, and I had to warn her off from seeing it.(we don't really do R-rated movies at my house.)

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Zina on August 05, 2007, 05:00:35 PM
Pitch Black was amazing.

Also, he was the voice of the Iron Giant. Ha haaaaah.

Yeah, Vin does well at particular types of roles - he has to fit them, though.

He -looks- truly evil. It's when he has to show any sort of emotion, he has trouble.

OTOH, The Iron Giant was brilliant. I -loved- the car, when he sat on it. :-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on August 06, 2007, 11:09:52 AM
OTOH, The Iron Giant was brilliant. I -loved- the car, when he sat on it. :-]

Yeah, that was one of my favorite scenes as well! I also liked the part where Mansly gets into his car and finds half of it bitten off :) That was pure gold right there.

Alondro

Quote from: King Of Hearts on August 04, 2007, 03:09:21 AM

I wouldve also liked a little scene with the Battle of Salamis, but that would have been stretching it.

What about a scene with the Battle of Bratwurst?  Or the Killings of Kielbasa?  Or perhaps the Scuffle of Sausage?   :B
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

bill

Incidentally, I am disappointed that there has yet to be an epic movie made about the War of the Oaken Bucket.

Sunblink

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 03, 2007, 04:18:46 PM

Ditto to this. I saw about the climax of the movie as I was falling asleep on an airplane. It was confusing as heck since I hadn't seen the rest of the movie and the screen quality was as crappy as... well, something really, really crappy. So I couldn't enjoy the movie as much as I really wanted to, unfortunately. I'll probably see it again from the beginning.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

thegayhare