Morrowind

Started by Tapewolf, April 02, 2007, 07:03:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on June 12, 2007, 09:19:20 AM
Oooo. More meals?

I'm not going to do that again.  He wouldn't eat them all at once, so I had to feed him 42 individual pieces.  It took quite a while.

Mind you Ra'Viir in Balmora took longer.  Each time you talk to him he tries to sell you his fake Daedric weapons, so out of the goodness of my heart - and because it's a pain to sell something worth 80 grand - I sold him a wonderful pair of real Daedric swords at like 99% discount (he only has 600 coins worth of float).
You can't enter a new amount by hand so I was forced to wedge the mouse button down over the '-' symbol and go off to do something else.  It took 15 minutes each sword.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on June 12, 2007, 09:26:50 AM
You can't enter a new amount by hand so I was forced to wedge the mouse button down over the '-' symbol and go off to do something else.  It took 15 minutes each sword.

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...

*pause*

*breathe*

...hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...

*pause*

*breathe*

...ahahahahaha... that's priceless, it really is. :-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Kasarn

Quote from: Tapewolf on June 12, 2007, 04:42:08 AM
Cat Dude may be Archmage, but he still has a tendency to fumble the Create Enchantment spell, destroying a soul gem worth 80 grand  :rolleyes

You should get Azura's Star; it's a reusable soul gem and one of the more useful artefacts in the game.
To get it, you'll need to go to the Shrine of Azura, which is somewhere to the south east (i.e. Azura's Coast).

Tapewolf

Quote from: Kasarn on June 12, 2007, 11:00:09 AM
You should get Azura's Star; it's a reusable soul gem and one of the more useful artefacts in the game.
To get it, you'll need to go to the Shrine of Azura, which is somewhere to the south east (i.e. Azura's Coast).f form).

Ah.  So it does exist?  I've read a story about it and I was going to snag it if I could find it.  Thanks for hint.  I'm currently in that area anyway, so it could be a fun quest to embark upon.  (I'm also trying to get all the Propylon Indices)

Ryudo Lee

Oh yeah, Azura's Star is one of the better items in the game, especially if you've got a spell to summon a Golden Saint.  Summon the Golden Saint, cast Soul Trap on it, and kill it, and you capture it's soul, all nice and available for making all those nice enchantments.

I'm surprised you haven't played with the Construction Kit yet, Tape.

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

Tapewolf

Quote from: Ryudo Lee on June 12, 2007, 12:05:19 PM
Oh yeah, Azura's Star is one of the better items in the game, especially if you've got a spell to summon a Golden Saint.  Summon the Golden Saint, cast Soul Trap on it, and kill it, and you capture it's soul, all nice and available for making all those nice enchantments.

I'm surprised you haven't played with the Construction Kit yet, Tape.

I did have a quick fiddle, but I'm going to sit down and write some kind of walkthrough before I tinker with it in earnest.  Also, I was never that good with post-Doom engines.  Never really got my head around CSG.

And yes, I was going to try harvesting the saints in exactly the manner you describe.  More for the money than for enchanting things, mind :P
The last few days I've been touring the Daedric ruins waiting for them to show their ugly mugs so that I could de-soul them, or take the expensive glass kit that they usually carry.

Talking of saints, I've finally got the spells to return my strength etc to full without having to use the temples anymore.  It was a bit of a swizz to have to pay 35 gold coins so that I could pray at a shrine dedicated to me...

Reese Tora

Quote from: Tapewolf on June 12, 2007, 11:03:11 AM
Quote from: Kasarn on June 12, 2007, 11:00:09 AM
To get it, you'll need to go to the Shrine of Azura, which is somewhere to the south east (i.e. Azura's Coast).f form).

Ah.  So it does exist?  I've read a story about it and I was going to snag it if I could find it.  Thanks for hint.  I'm currently in that area anyway, so it could be a fun quest to embark upon.  (I'm also trying to get all the Propylon Indices)

It, and every otehr artifact in that book of artifacts. :3

My personal combo, last game I played, was the Dragonbone Currias, Helm of Owen Bearclaw, and Fists of Randagulf
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

Ryudo Lee

I don't believe I've ever read that book you mentioned Reese.  What book is it and where is it found?

Tapewolf

Quote from: Ryudo Lee on June 12, 2007, 12:38:08 PM
I don't believe I've ever read that book you mentioned Reese.  What book is it and where is it found?

I don't know either.  I read about the Star in 'Charwich-Koniiinge book 3' or somesuch.
The Star didn't solve the problem of Cat Dude messing the spell up and losing the soul, but it does work on Lord Vivec (!)
I shall use His pain and torment to light my desk lamp.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Better than letting it go to waste, at least.

Reese Tora

For all the trouble lord Vivec is, he doesn't tend to ahve much soul. :B

The book in question, I don't recall the name of off hand; it's still been a few years since I last played, after all.  I believe that 1: it has 'artifact' in the title, and 2: it's in a library somewhere in vivec.  A large library, in any case.

ah HA!

Quote from: planet elderscrollsThe book, Famed Artifacts of Tamriel, can be bought from Jobasha's Rare Books
in Vivec. One can also be found in the Mournhold Museum of Artifacts. The book
has been edited and lists the artifacts that I added to the game as well as the description.
I also added these artifacts to the book that have been left out: Auriel's Shield,
Auriel's Bow, *Wings of the Queen of Bats, Azura's Star, Boots Of Blinding Speed,
Ten-Pace Boots, Veloth's Judgement, BiPolar Blade, Dagger of Symmachus,
Mace of Slurring, Robe of the Lich, Necromancer's Amulet, Volendrung,
The Mace of Aevar Stone-Singer, Kagrenac's Tools, Trueflame and Hopesfire,
Moon-and-Star, and Hircine's Ring.

From the descriptuion of a mod adding artifacts from previous elder scroll games to Morrowind.

Apparently, the book is available in mournhold with the tribunal expansion installed.  Whether the mod maker added the book to Jobasha's inventory or it it's there without mods, I couldn't say.

To save the trouble, here's a link to a web page with it's contents:

http://til.gamingsource.net/mwbooks/famed_artifacts.shtml

All of these are in Morrowind, somewhere. (The book can be found in Oblivion as well, though many of the artifacts themsleves are not.)

--edit--

The book is also known as "Tamrielic Lore"

Ryudo Lee

Thank you good sir.

Tapewolf

Further experiments with Constant Effect enchantments.
I noticed that when you sell armour or weapons to a merchant, they tend to wear them.  So today I made the Radioactive Ebony Shield of Doom, which drains the wielder's health until they die or remove the item.  I used Vivec's soul to drive it.

After briefly testing it on myself to make sure it was draining, I sold this to the pawnbroker in Balmora, who expired about 45 seconds later.  No-one saw it unfortunately so for my next trick, having taken it from her corpse, I sold it to one of the guys in the Fighter's Guild.  He too mysteriously died after buying the shield.  Somehow everyone knew I'd done it and I had a 1000 gold bounty on my head.  No-one actually moved to attack me, though.

Following this I forgot what I was doing and had Cat-Dude go to sleep in one of the Mage Guild bunks.  He passed away in the night with a sort of 'ngghrrrrr' noise.

Llewelyn

Yep, constant effect Chameleon items(and other ones such as Sabctuary I believe it was) do stack.  I did 100% Chameleon on a couple characters for the heck of it that way.

Janus Whitefurr

If I recall (I haven't played in a while), there's a "Max Sale" (or something similar) button that will immediately shift the price you're selling for down to the maximum possible for that vendor, in this case the 600 gold.

Just saying.
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agencyâ„¢. And possibly spy cameras.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Janus Whitefurr on June 14, 2007, 03:03:54 AM
If I recall (I haven't played in a while), there's a "Max Sale" (or something similar) button that will immediately shift the price you're selling for down to the maximum possible for that vendor, in this case the 600 gold.

Just saying.

*snicker* that makes it even funnier. 15 minutes he didn't -have- to spend? ;-]

Tapewolf

Quote from: Janus Whitefurr on June 14, 2007, 03:03:54 AM

There's no obvious UI widget to do that, although I must admit I haven't tried double-clicking on the maximum amount.  I didn't think to look for a key since it doesn't seem to have a key to add or subtract the offer either, otherwise I could have wedged that down with a coin like I usually do.
It might also be something added in Tribunal or Bloodmoon, or one of the ports - U7: Serpent Isle added a number of keyboard shortcuts and enhancements over the original U7: Black Gate, for example.

Nonetheless I shall dig out the PDF manual and see because that would be dead useful.

Taerkar

^^^^
With any new game with a similar interface, I try the usual suspects of shift, alt, and ctrl combined with mouseclicks. Eventually something works, unless the design is horrid.

Quote from: Llewelyn on June 14, 2007, 01:54:07 AM
Yep, constant effect Chameleon items(and other ones such as Sabctuary I believe it was) do stack.  I did 100% Chameleon on a couple characters for the heck of it that way.

Yeah, it's pretty easy to horribly break the game if you're so inclined.

llearch n'n'daCorna

sell items to a NPC until they're 100% Chameleon, then you can kill with impunity?

Or is it somewhat based on -you-, even if they can't see who you're killing?

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on June 14, 2007, 11:41:52 AM
sell items to a NPC until they're 100% Chameleon, then you can kill with impunity?
Or is it somewhat based on -you-, even if they can't see who you're killing?

I don't know.  But that's definitely worth investigating  >:3

Ryudo Lee

I'm pretty sure it's based on your interaction with the character.  If you attack first, you're the criminal.  If they attack first, you can get away with murder.  I don't think it's based on sight.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Ryudo Lee on June 14, 2007, 11:47:53 AM
I'm pretty sure it's based on your interaction with the character.  If you attack first, you're the criminal.  If they attack first, you can get away with murder.  I don't think it's based on sight.

If you kill someone when no-one else is around to see, it's not murder.  This is more likely based on character proximity, since I doubt this is a scenario the designers considered, but it's just possible that murdering the invisible man might have the same kind of effect.

It might work, I guess ultimately it depends if they did something like
if (attacker->flags & INVISIBLE)

or

if (attacker->flags & INVISIBLE || victim->flags & INVISIBLE)

llearch n'n'daCorna

.. and it's such a weird concept that it's worth testing.

Or at least messing around with.

Did you do more tests with your shield of suicide? Or re-make it, since I guess you had to go back to your last save... ?

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on June 14, 2007, 12:01:58 PM
.. and it's such a weird concept that it's worth testing.

Or at least messing around with.

Did you do more tests with your shield of suicide? Or re-make it, since I guess you had to go back to your last save... ?

Fortunately when you sleep it autosaves beforehand.

Anyway, to test the theory, I sold The Precious to someone.  They vanished, but because it's only invisibility, they reappeared as soon as I attacked them.  (Which is why Chameleon is better)

Rather than faffing around with making enough Constant Enchantment items to provide 100% chameleon, I built two rings which provided 24 seconds of 100% effect.  One operates on the user, the other operates on a target.  First I vanished, then I selected a victim - one of my toadying subordinates in the Mages' Guild - and made her vanish.  Then I attacked her.
Even though both attacker and target were undetectable, the other Mages went ballistic.  Didn't chuck me out of the Guild, though (sleeping in someone's bed is obviously a far, far worse crime than murder, so next time I need to sleep I should kill the bed's owner first).
It was as Llewelyn said, headless chicken time.

Ryudo Lee

Like I said, it's not based on if they can see you, though I think if you're actively sneaking, then you should be able to get away with a backstab.

Reese Tora

chameleon is meant to be used to enhance sneak... I suspect that if you turn on sneak next time you do that, you'll have better results.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Reese Tora on June 16, 2007, 03:09:12 AM
chameleon is meant to be used to enhance sneak... I suspect that if you turn on sneak next time you do that, you'll have better results.

Nothing but nothing allowed me to steal Nevaro's key.  150% luck, 67% sneak (can't find anyone who'll teach me above that), 100% invisibility AND chameleon, and the bugger still manages to stop me.  I was sorely tempted to kill him and take it, especially since I'd already killed the only other guy with a copy during the infamous Council Club Massacre about a year earlier.  I resurrected the manservant and killed him again for it.

It's an interesting thing that since Nevaro challenged me to a duel previously - which he survived - nothing I do to him is illegal anymore  >:3

Anyway.  I've been experimenting with older savegames from before I started the core mission, and I have a question.
Does anyone know if it's possible to force the player to contract the Divine Disease?  I know it's part of the core plot, but I'd like to have it happen earlier in the game so that he's got the full benefits of it as soon as possible.
Eating dreamer meat hasn't worked - I broke into one of the 6H hideouts and consumed a shocking amount of it, but he's still fit as a fiddle...

Cogidubnus

Stealing the key from Nevaro - I'm assuming you're pickpocketing? Chameleon and invisibility won't help with that. It's a roll based on your sneak skill, so you probably need to get a higher skill in sneak.
The master of sneak is Wadarkhu, in Gnarr Mok, inside the Dreugh Jigger's Rest. He'll train you up to 100.

Contracting corprus outside the main quest is impossible, as far as I know. There aren't any items in the game with corprus as an effect. In-game, the lore about corprus states that it is difficult to catch, but harder to get rid of - probably a subtle way of saying you won't get it.
You might try attacking Dagoth Gares, without actually having gotten to the Sixth House Base quest. I never tried, but it might work...

Tapewolf

Quote from: Cogidubnus on June 17, 2007, 11:27:07 AM
Stealing the key from Nevaro - I'm assuming you're pickpocketing? Chameleon and invisibility won't help with that. It's a roll based on your sneak skill, so you probably need to get a higher skill in sneak.
That's ridiculous.  :erk
He's on 67% already and that mission comes early enough in your ranking that none of the guild members will train you.  Plus it costs upward of 10 grand to get fully trained in a skill...  I guess it's to force you to pickpocket the dead guy, right?

QuoteThe master of sneak is Wadarkhu, in Gnarr Mok, inside the Dreugh Jigger's Rest. He'll train you up to 100.
Groovy.  I hate having to go to that hole, but if that's what it takes...

QuoteYou might try attacking Dagoth Gares, without actually having gotten to the Sixth House Base quest. I never tried, but it might work...
Already tried that.  He isn't there :(

Cogidubnus

Quote from: Tapewolf on June 17, 2007, 11:34:06 AM
That's ridiculous.  :erk
He's on 67% already and that mission comes early enough in your ranking that none of the guild members will train you.  Plus it costs upward of 10 grand to get fully trained in a skill...  I guess it's to force you to pickpocket the dead guy, right?

I'm assuming this is the quest in which you have to pickpocket either the butler in the council club or the guy in the manor? It's been some time since I did the Hlaalu quests.
If so, then not necessarily. You can do the Guild quests at any time. You might already have the skills when you join.
But stealth is always the hardest route to take, simply because it's hard to get good at it without dying. The game is a little unbalanced that way. :)