Morrowind

Started by Tapewolf, April 02, 2007, 07:03:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Quote from: Kasarn on June 01, 2007, 02:51:15 AM
You have to be careful when storing things. If you put stuff in an "owned" container and then take it back out, the item will be treated as stolen.

Yeah, I discovered that early on.  I hid some moon-sugar in one of Baissa's crates since it upset some of the other merchants - there was one hell of a mess when I tried to take it back out again.  Fortunately I'd saved beforehand.

Thanks for the tip on the evidence box, by the way - I'll have to find that as there are a few useful things which went missing.

**EDIT**
Duh... that's why they made off with the crossbow bolts and various other things that I paid good money for, isn't it?  Because they were left in Ahnassi's wardrobe and the ownership transferred to her >:[

My stronghold is currently in its second phase.  Slightly better but still a dump.  I'm thinking of using it as a summer home or something because Ahnassi's place is much prettier and in a better location.  I have pondered using the console to create a copy of her in the stronghold though since the place is filled with all these losers who have no brain and only understand the 'goodbye' keyword.

I began to experiment with that command when I found the slave market in Sadith Mora, since I was wondering if I could duplicate the slaves in the stronghold.  As a test I created two Dahleenas and an Ahnassi before getting bored and killing the slave trader.  In a way it was quite horrifying to see how she turned on her 'good and true friend' like that.  :U

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Ryudo Lee

I usually go the Hlaalu route since the stronghold is built near Balmora.  The stronghold is where I like to leave my more priceless things, like the stuff I tend to "borrow" from the various vaults in Vivec.  If I'm not mistaken, the containers in your room in the stronghold are owned by you so you don't have to worry about anything disappearing or anyone calling you a thief when you go back for stuff.

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

Tapewolf

Quote from: Ryudo Lee on June 01, 2007, 12:42:30 PM
If I'm not mistaken, the containers in your room in the stronghold are owned by you so you don't have to worry about anything disappearing or anyone calling you a thief when you go back for stuff.

Good.  Apart from the fact that I haven't quite figured out which room is actually mine  :rolleyes
Is it therefore possible to re-baptize 'stolen' items so that they belong to me?

I must admit I was tempted to go with Hlaalu myself, but I didn't really like their attitude to slaves.  The Caldera mine in particular was the thing which finally turned me away, that and the rumour I read somewhere that you can get freed slaves sent to the stronghold with Redoran.

Ryudo Lee

I don't think you can remove the stolen flag from items.  I believe that they stay that way.  But whatever you have that's stolen on your person when you're caught by a guard will be snatched away, but if it's not on you, like, on the ground, it won't get taken.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Ryudo Lee on June 01, 2007, 06:33:42 PM
I don't think you can remove the stolen flag from items.  I believe that they stay that way.  But whatever you have that's stolen on your person when you're caught by a guard will be snatched away, but if it's not on you, like, on the ground, it won't get taken.

That's what I was doing, but there were so many things to protect it was inevitable that some would get missed.  And there was a particularly awesome book which I can't find anymore so I suspect that has gone to the evidence box too.

I've built the stronghold completely now and the slaves thing was a wash.  I was hoping to populate the place with ex-slaves so there would be more than just one Khajiit in the place, but no... I have to go and find/buy some Dunmer women to go live there.  It didn't even give me an excuse to buy the slaves in Sadith Mora (hey... one of them was female!).

"Do you have the wives?"
"Yes.  See!  Nice wives.  Bright eyes, bushy tails..."
"I meant human wives.  For the settlers."

Is it possible to free the Sadith Mora slaves in any way, perchance?  There doesn't seem to be a way to actually purchase them.

Ryudo Lee

I believe that they may get freed during a Twin Lamps mission.  I'm still trying to figure out how to even get the missions.  I'm on the right path though.  When you go through the Thieve's Guild, you eventually meet up with the Grandmaster of the Thieve's Guild and he'll give you optional side quests, one of them is to steal Brallion's ring and give it to the Dren lady in Vivec (you can also buy it off him).  I think that has something to do with it.

Ah, I stand corrected. http://www.gamebanshee.com/morrowind/locations/sqtwinlamps.php There aren't any FORMAL missions per se, but if you free a bunch of slaves you'll get some bonus stuff and some mini quests.

EDIT

And there are only two quests.  It's probably worth it strictly for the fame bonus, and the skill bonus books you get from Jobasha after freeing 30 slaves.  So in a roundabout way to answer you question, no you can't free the slaves in Sadrith Mora.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Ryudo Lee on June 02, 2007, 06:16:25 PM
And there are only two quests.  It's probably worth it strictly for the fame bonus, and the skill bonus books you get from Jobasha after freeing 30 slaves.  So in a roundabout way to answer you question, no you can't free the slaves in Sadrith Mora.

I've got the books from Jobasha, and I intend to visit Ms. Dren again, to see whether she'll give me any duties.  I think she was supposed to tell me to rescue J'Saddha, but I did that impulsively when I visited Ald Velothi on a Redoran quest.  I guess if I can't free his slaves, that means he's outlived his usefulness then, doesn't it?  Especially if I only need his ring.

What about the Argonian Mission in Ebonheart?  I've heard that's a TL shop, but they won't talk to me about slaves or anything.  Maybe I need to free some more first.

The evidence box in Seyda Neen was empty.  Until they arrested me for picking the lock on it.  Then it was full of soulgems and many other goodies.  So I stole them from the evidence box - twice - at which point everything went totally pear-shaped.
I had a bounty of 1M gold pieces on my head but the guards refused to accept it saying that I would get the death penalty.  For a moment I thought they were actually going to drag Cat Dude away to be executed under script control, but it actually just meant that they were going to attack him.  As if they could take down the cat who killed a god.
I think I almost halved the population of Seyda Neen in that little brawl  :erk

IMHO the funniest bit was when I reloaded afterwards.  I was outside Ahnassi's house in Pelagiad, and one of the guards suddenly ran towards me wielding his sword.  Naturally I assumed that my crime was so severe that it had somehow tainted all my existing savegames - having a reward of 1M drakes for my head, after all - and so I panicked and ran.  Only then did I realise that the guard was actually coming to attack the cliff-racer which was right behind me.   :3

I managed something similar with Ebonheart, which is where all my goodies were (except for that fantastic book, but I have a list of evidence chests now so I'll keep looking).  This time the bounty was only 8k, but they still wanted to kill me and I still had to leave the streets paved with corpses.
What really amazed me was when I returned to Pelagiad - the aforementioned scenario was real this time - and the guards yelled "You won't get away so easily!" which I did by entering Ahnassi's house.  Virtually everyone in the game gets jittery or strange when I rack up a little bounty of 1k or so, so I wasn't sure how she would react what I'd done.
While it's perhaps mildly irritating that she doesn't realise her boyfriend has saved the world, the fact that she doesn't care that he's killed 14 people, stolen thousands of drakes' worth of kit from the Emperor who now want him dead rather makes up for it.

llearch n'n'daCorna

She's awfully blase about everything, isn't she? :-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Aridas

Tape, don't forget to kill everyone after you've done everything possible. That's what an old friend did.

Cogidubnus

You -can- remove the stolen tags, by selling and rebuying from a vendor, I think...

Ryudo Lee

Well you can do that, so long as you don't steal from another merchant and then try and pawn your stuff to another merchant.  They seem to know that stuff is hot.

Ryudo Lee

Quote from: Tapewolf on June 02, 2007, 08:13:44 PM
I've got the books from Jobasha, and I intend to visit Ms. Dren again, to see whether she'll give me any duties.  I think she was supposed to tell me to rescue J'Saddha, but I did that impulsively when I visited Ald Velothi on a Redoran quest.

After rescuing 15 slaves, one of them will tell you how to answer her question (which gives you a third choice when you talk to her).  She will ask you to rescue J'Saddha and the other quest is to rescue Hides-His-Foot who is on the Dren Plantation.  The guy with the key is wandering around near Hides-His-Foot.  After that she says that she's got no other duties for you.

I guess if I can't free his slaves, that means he's outlived his usefulness then, doesn't it?  Especially if I only need his ring.

Well, you need his ring for a specific mission that you can only get by going through the Thieve's Guild.  When you go through the Thieve's Guild and eventually find yourself before the Master Thief, he'll mention some special duties.  That particular quest is within those special duties.

What about the Argonian Mission in Ebonheart?  I've heard that's a TL shop, but they won't talk to me about slaves or anything.  Maybe I need to free some more first.

There's only one quest that I know of that has anything to do with that, and it's in Hla Oad.  Go into Fat Leg's Drop-Off and you'll find a trap door.  Inside there's a guy with a khajit slave and he'll ask you to deliver her somewhere.  Talk to her and you'll find out that she's carrying a load of moonsugar in her stomach and they want to... let's say... extract it in ways that she wouldn't survive.  She asks you to take her to the Argonian Mission.

Really, you find a bunch of nifty stuff and interesting side quests when you do the various guild missions.  One thing you should note is that when doing the the guild missions, you can't complete both the Fighter's Guild and the Thieve's Guild, because to complete one, you have to kill off the leader of the other so you won't be able to get that person's quests to become grandmaster.

llearch n'n'daCorna

... unless you clone him first, perhaps?

Now, that would -really- mess with their heads. Clone both, and bring back proof that both are dead, while both are not... :-]

Arcalane

Quote from: Tapewolf on June 02, 2007, 08:13:44 PMI think I almost halved the population of Seyda Neen in that little brawl  :erk

Fun, isn't it? >:3

Tapewolf

Quote from: Sheridan on June 04, 2007, 01:02:28 PM
Quote from: Tapewolf on June 02, 2007, 08:13:44 PMI think I almost halved the population of Seyda Neen in that little brawl  :erk

Fun, isn't it? >:3

Oh, indeed it is.  I suspect there will be many deaths when I go to liberate the slaves in Sadith Mora.
There was a similar story when I went to Moonmoth (?) near Balmora, in quest of the awesome book.  The evidence chest contained two pieces of rat-meat and some wax.  Curiously, stealing the rat-meat did not confer the death penalty.  Placing my own mace in the chest and then removing it again did, however.  I left the fort somewhat saddened by the pointless waste of lives.

"Who was the Nerevarine, Daddy?"
"He was a bold cat-warrior who arrived in a time of great peril and saved the land, my son.  He descended into the Great Mountain and slew the evil god Dagoth Ur!  As a reward for this feat he was granted life eternal."
"What happened then, Daddy?"
"He stole some bits of dead rat from the Emperor who ordered him to be put to death.  The Nerevarine flew into a rage and slew many men.  Now he lurks in places of night and shadow, killing all who offend him.  And that, my son, is why all men are afraid of the dark!"

I did eventually find the awesome book, though - it was actually in Ahnassi's library.  "A Game at Dinner" is the title.  At some point I must properly visit Seyda Neen - so far all my experiences there have been miserable  :B

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on June 04, 2007, 10:20:36 AM
Now, that would -really- mess with their heads. Clone both, and bring back proof that both are dead, while both are not... :-]

I know the command to create NPCs so this is trivial  >:3

It looks like I've done all of Ms. Dren's duties.  I guess I'll have to go and abolish slavery in that cave off Azura Coast.  I've been holding off that project in the errant belief that I could get the slaves I rescued there sent to my worthless dump of a stronghold...

Tapewolf

Quote from: Ryudo Lee on June 04, 2007, 10:07:08 AM
There's only one quest that I know of that has anything to do with that, and it's in Hla Oad.  Go into Fat Leg's Drop-Off and you'll find a trap door.  Inside there's a guy with a khajit slave and he'll ask you to deliver her somewhere.  Talk to her and you'll find out that she's carrying a load of moonsugar in her stomach and they want to... let's say... extract it in ways that she wouldn't survive.  She asks you to take her to the Argonian Mission.

I took her on a tour of the cave, which I'm assuming was the C-T hideout.  Each person we met, I insulted until they attacked me.  Then I gave them a crossbow bolt or two, and let Rabinna actually kill them.  They attack me by preference, even when she's attacking them, so all I had to do was stand next to them taking the punches while she slowly shredded them.
In the end, the only one left standing was the slaver himself, who can't be taunted.  So after I'd seen her safely to Ebonheart (damn - I should have led her to Bal Isra and told her to 'wait here') I returned and murdered him.  Since all the others were dead, there was no bounty.

**EDIT**
Whoops, double-post.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on June 06, 2007, 04:27:35 PM
**EDIT**
Whoops, double-post.

-I'm- amused enough to let you go.

of course, that may or may not actually mean anything just now...

Ouai

I'm new to the game and I'm at the point where I have to find the book 'Progress of Truth'

Anyone know where I can buy or "borrow" this thing from? I've looked all over.

And I'm trying to find someone named Mebestien Ence for the Thieves guild, a pointer for where to look would be greatly appreciated.

Ryudo Lee

Progress of Truth is found in the library of Vivec, but unless you're a really good thief, you'll have to get it elsewhere.  Someone in there can tell you where to get it.

He's in one of the shops in Pelagiad.  The object you're looking for is in a chest upstairs in that shop.

Llewelyn

On the subject of the fighter's and Thieves guild, you CAN become grandmaster in both without cloning.  The trick is timing, and a secondary path to Grandmaster.

There's another fighter in one of the towns(it's been a long while since I played, but I think it was a Dunmer town) who isn't very happy with the current Grandmaster.  At the point where you were start running missions for the Fighter Grandmaster, go find this fighter instead and do his quests up to a point.  Do the Thieves Guild quests first though, up to right before the final quest.  Then after doing most of the rebel fighter's quests, he'll finally ask you to kill the current Grandmaster of the Fighter Guild.  Go activate the same quest from the Thieves Guild.  Finally go kill the Fighter Grandmaster.

Voila!  Two guilds with one kill.  Just make sure you don't accidentally break the fighters guild codes though, because you can't reinstate yourself, and the guy who could is dead.

Tapewolf

Interesting.  I might simply using cloning if I decide to do both.

Anyway, because I've got 3.5M drakes and a whole load of exotic soulstones which are too expensive to sell easily, I decided to make some nice enchantments.
Three in fact - a Daedric Ugly Shield of Cure Blight, which I used to cure some orc in a temple, and two Constant Effect rings.
First, The Precious.  I'm sure you can work out what that does.  The other one is the 'Jesus Ring' which gives me constant walk-on-water, and about 34 points of Feather.  Very useful for carrying loot to the Mudcrab Merchant who lives in the middle of the damn sea.

I'll put up some pictures of Ahnassi's house soon, but right now I'm too tired...

Llewelyn

If you feel like it, try making a 100% chameleon outfit sometime... it's funny to watch them run around like chickens with their heads cut off trying to find you.  On the other hand, you'll have to take something off to talk to merchants; they won't respond to the voice in the air either.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Llewelyn on June 11, 2007, 07:34:59 PM
If you feel like it, try making a 100% chameleon outfit sometime... it's funny to watch them run around like chickens with their heads cut off trying to find you.  On the other hand, you'll have to take something off to talk to merchants; they won't respond to the voice in the air either.

I wanted to make one of those, but 100% Chameleon requires more capacity than any object in the game can provide.  So I had to stick to invisibility :(

Or are you suggesting I create several 50% units and wear them all at once?  I'm not sure if it works additively...

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on June 11, 2007, 07:39:07 PM
Or are you suggesting I create several 50% units and wear them all at once?  I'm not sure if it works additively...

Surely you've got enough cash to test the theory? :-]

I -love- the "The Precious", by the way. Made me giggle.

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on June 12, 2007, 04:22:41 AM
Quote from: Tapewolf on June 11, 2007, 07:39:07 PM
Surely you've got enough cash to test the theory? :-]

Yeah, well it didn't seem to work when I tried to use a feather ring and amulet together - it seemed to be taking the higher of the two.  I'll have to re-test it though.  As for cash, I've just given the enchanter at Caldera almost 300'000 gold coins to make that little lot.  Cat Dude may be Archmage, but he still has a tendency to fumble the Create Enchantment spell, destroying a soul gem worth 80 grand  :rolleyes

QuoteI -love- the "The Precious", by the way. Made me giggle.
Yeah.  I was going to call it 'the One Ring' at first, I'm glad I didn't.  One of the neat things about this game is the custom spell design and enchanted objects, of which I have had several failures.  You can't un-learn spells, which can be a problem.

Two things which would probably have got me booted out of the Mage's guild if they'd found out were the infamous 'Eye of 1440', a light spell which was intended to last practically forever.  Unfortunately I forgot to set the magnitude and ended up with a spell which does absolutely nothing whatsoever for 24 minutes.
The other one is the spell of 'Big Unlock'.  This works perfectly apart from the fact that it actually locks things and I have remember to choose 'Big Open' instead.

Aridas

Tape, Hogwarts called, they said you're fired. And they don't ever want to see you back teaching anyone. There's also a restraining order limiting you to contact only with anything and anyone non-wizard and non-magical.

llearch n'n'daCorna

What, you mean they don't have useless teachers on the roll anymore?

I mean, they've had enough useless ones already, what's one more? :-]

Tapewolf

Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on June 12, 2007, 06:42:19 AM
Tape, Hogwarts called, they said you're fired. And they don't ever want to see you back teaching anyone. There's also a restraining order limiting you to contact only with anything and anyone non-wizard and non-magical.

I'd love to see them try to enforce that!  Remember what happened to Seyda Neen and Fort Moonmoth  :dface

Ryudo Lee

Tape, if you're interested in a big fighting challenge, I would suggest you get the plugin Siege at Firemoth.  Hordes of skeleton warriors and rats giving you the ol' zergling rush.  But the reward is worth it.  There's a king's ransom of ebony in there.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Oooo. More meals?