Morrowind

Started by Tapewolf, April 02, 2007, 07:03:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Quote from: Cogidubnus on June 17, 2007, 11:46:23 AM
I'm assuming this is the quest in which you have to pickpocket either the butler in the council club or the guy in the manor? It's been some time since I did the Hlaalu quests

Thieves' Guild quest, but yeah.  The problem was that some time ago, one or two game years previously, one of the guys at Moonmoth said it would be nice if there was a massacre at the Council Club.  Since the place was a Camora Tong shop, I thought it would be nice too.  I should have taken all the keys as a precaution though... I don't remember quite what happened in that regard.

QuoteIf so, then not necessarily. You can do the Guild quests at any time. You might already have the skills when you join.

This is true, but he's level 48.  He was about level 2 when he first met Ahnassi, and I was kind of tempted to join the Thieves Guild then.  He would have been slaughtered at that point.

QuoteBut stealth is always the hardest route to take, simply because it's hard to get good at it without dying. The game is a little unbalanced that way. :)
Cat Dude is rich, he's saved the world, become Arch-mage and a Councillor of Redoran.  Now he's turned to theft as a hobby because it's a nice challenge  >:3

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Reese Tora

Quote from: Cogidubnus on June 17, 2007, 11:46:23 AM
But stealth is always the hardest route to take, simply because it's hard to get good at it without dying. The game is a little unbalanced that way. :)

You can turn on sneak, place yourself against a wall in view of a guard's patrol(so you're seen or not depending on him passing), and turn on autorun.

walk away(irl, as you've got better things to do)

come back in an hour or two.

If you're someone who uses sneak ALL the time(like me), it raises a lot faster anyway.
(If I go back to Morrowind from Oblivion, I'm going to have a lot of trouble remembering I don't need to stay in the shadows.)
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

Tapewolf

Quote from: Reese Tora on June 17, 2007, 04:00:49 PM
You can turn on sneak, place yourself against a wall in view of a guard's patrol(so you're seen or not depending on him passing), and turn on autorun.
Good idea.  I was tempted to try something like this for his athletics...

Quote(If I go back to Morrowind from Oblivion, I'm going to have a lot of trouble remembering I don't need to stay in the shadows.)
It doesn't really have shadows as such :P

Oh, the Thief's Guild is wonderful.  As an experiment I brought death and carnage to Ebonheart, stealing from the evidence box until they ordered my execution.  In this state, the guards won't take a fine, they will always try to kill you.  The Ordinators were already after my blood for a separate reason, so I skipped them and tried the Redoran guards and the Hlaalu guards to see whether they would accept a fine instead.  They have both sided with the Empire on this - apparently my crime was severe enough to threaten some kind of war if I was not immediately apprehended and put to death.

So I turned to the thief's guild and for a mere 4000 smackers they - somehow - managed to get the death penalty quashed.  How good is that?

Ryudo Lee

Quote from: Tapewolf on June 18, 2007, 05:16:16 AM
So I turned to the thief's guild and for a mere 4000 smackers they - somehow - managed to get the death penalty quashed.  How good is that?

That's the beauty of being in the Thieve's Guild.  You can get away with murder for a discounted price!

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

Tapewolf

Quote from: Ryudo Lee on June 18, 2007, 11:34:47 AM
Quote from: Tapewolf on June 18, 2007, 05:16:16 AM

That's the beauty of being in the Thieve's Guild.  You can get away with murder for a discounted price!

Murder?  As far as I can see that's just about 1000 per corpse - I can currently budget for over 3500 kills and have money to spare (I think there are only 2500 people in the game).
Getting away with treason is the really fantastic part  :mwaha

Of course it might be that they demand your death if the bounty exceeds 8000.  This needs more experimentation - an unprovoked attack on Seyda Neen should give me an answer to that, but so far it's only ever happened if I've been playing fast and loose with the evidence box.

I need to rack up a serious bounty at some point - see how the thieves guild reacts if I calmly fork over half a million gold coins...

llearch n'n'daCorna

only half a million?

Oh, come on, come up with some real cash. :-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on June 18, 2007, 12:08:31 PM
only half a million?

Oh, come on, come up with some real cash. :-]

They do a 50% discount so the bounty would be a cool 1M.  I might be able to fiddle the evidence box and bring it up to 6M but it would have to be done carefully.  If I go over budget, I might not be able to find a trader willing to buy things from a convicted mass-murderer and I'd be stuck with a phenomenal bounty and no way of paying it...

When I came in, the guild steward said they'd heard I'd murdered people.  I'm going to try and get a death warrant by simply stealing tons of evidence and see what she says then  >:3

Cogidubnus

So, Tape...

You've beaten the main quest, become the Nerevarine, Archmage, and Grandmaster of Redoran. You have a mansion. You have a girlfriend. You have many, many boomsticks. Power and glory are yours.

Have you thought anymore about the mods, mayhap? Or, maybe, the expansions? :3

Tapewolf

Quote from: Cogidubnus on June 18, 2007, 07:51:36 PM
Have you thought anymore about the mods, mayhap? Or, maybe, the expansions? :3

First I want to become the master thief and preferably eradicate the Camora Tong from the face of Vvardenfell.  Then, my immediate next project will be to write an anti-walkthrough if possible, or a set of evil notes if not.  I can't seem to get him to come down with Corprus out of schedule, but I really, really want to know what happens if I try to start the main quest after killing Dagoth Ur.

After that, I'm gonna install Tribunal, I think - although I might just skip to Bloodmoon if it's possible to run them out of sequence.  I wanna be a wolf.

**EDIT**

Today's experiments and notes:
It's the size of the bounty that matters.  I got up to about 6k by means of murder, and that was enough to earn me a death warrant.  Regarding Llearch's request for a higher bounty, it's really very easy.  What I did was stroll into Ebonheart, put all 3.6M gold pieces into the evidence box for safekeeping and then immediately withdraw them.
Instant 3.6M bounty.  I did this a couple of times and ended up with a 6M bounty.  Something went very wrong while I was paying it off at the thieves' guild because I still had the full 3.6M after 'paying' the bounty.

In Ebonheart, I tried to rescue the Khajiit bard, Joshuar or whatever his name is.  It worked after a fashion.  He refused to leave the cell saying he'd be caught again, so I went on a killing spree.  At one point I was forced to flee and locked myself in his cell alongside him.  I accidentally caught him in a fireball blast which upset him no end, even after a few doses of 'Heal Companion'.  When everyone else was dead, I unlocked the cell again and he ran out, rushing around the tower in a frenzy until I cast one of the 'Dominate Humanoid' spells which made him settle down again.  He wasn't at all happy with me so I gave him a grand or two, after which he kept saying "why is my friend here?" when I went past.  If I started a full conversation, he'd say "You're the notorious outlaw!  Let me out of here!".
Anyway, at that point I went to bed - those who might have objected now being strewn around the tower in pieces.  When I woke up, he had escaped (yay!).

I have not yet been able to reproduce this - my aim is to free him without killing too many other people.

Cogidubnus

Quote from: Tapewolf on June 18, 2007, 08:00:59 PM

After that, I'm gonna install Tribunal, I think - although I might just skip to Bloodmoon if it's possible to run them out of sequence.  I wanna be a wolf.

You can, but I wouldn't recommend it. You have to uninstall it to install Tribunal, if you do so later. And I think you have to download a patch.
But, yes. Werewolves are fun. :3

techmaster-glitch

Well, I guess this is kind of an open-ended topic about Morrowind...So I've got a problem and a question, I hope someone here can help me.

First off, I have the Xbox version of Morrowind, the game itself is the Game Of The Year Edition; with both Bloodmoon and Tribunal on the one disk. Now, the problem is something called "pixel migration". I don't know if you have heard it in that name, but what happens is if you go through an area (exit, then enter and reload it) any NPC that doesn't normally walk around will "migrate" a few pixels every time. Nothing serious has happened to me...yet, but everyone in Arrile's Tradehous in Seyda Neen is out of place, the silt strider operator at Seydan Neen isn't on the ramp anymore(she's standing on the rock) and the Balmora silt strider guy has also moved around a bit. Like I said, none of this is serious, yet, but I've heard people say that some NPCs have gotten stuck in walls, some have vanished entirely, and one of my freinds decribed that in Gnesis, every time he went there the silt strider operator kept moving to the left, and the fourth time he loaded the area, he looked around, didn't see the operator, looked over the side of the platform, and saw the operator's corpse sprawled on the rocks below. He had to hike it back to Balmora.
I'm afraid of something like this happening to me, which is why i haven't played my Morrowind game in almost 3/4s of a year.
My question: Is there anything, anything i can do to fix this, or am I screwed to play the game, and have to just deal with any crap that happens?

Cogidubnus

http://www.forumplanet.com/planetelderscrolls/

Awaken my child, and embrace the glory that is your birthright. Know that this is the Overmind; the eternal will of Toril, and that you have been created to ask it questions.

techmaster-glitch

Grrrrr..... I was kinda hoping I wouldn't have do do something like, register on another forum. Grrrmmmfff....If no one here will help, I'll try registering on that forum some other time.....

And the using of the opening breifing to the Zerg campaign in Starcraft....interesting.

But seriously, is there anyone here that can help?

Toric

If it's the X-box version, I don't think there's much you can do. If you have X-box Live, they might have released a patch you can download from it that would fix the problem. If not, it's a console game, you don't have the console command that the PC version has. Sorry, I'd say you're out of luck.
Yap by Silver.

techmaster-glitch

Damn it. I don't have Xbox live either. Wonderful.

Tapewolf

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on June 18, 2007, 08:20:58 PM
one of my freinds decribed that in Gnesis, every time he went there the silt strider operator kept moving to the left, and the fourth time he loaded the area, he looked around, didn't see the operator, looked over the side of the platform, and saw the operator's corpse sprawled on the rocks below. He had to hike it back to Balmora.

Fantastic.  I was going to ask this myself.  Balmora seems to have the worst - the silt strider guy is now on the floor at the thing's feet as you described.  No-one I need has died yet but I have noticed the guards swimming in the river.  I put it down to the AI being incapable...

techmaster-glitch

The Balmora one shouldn't be too much of a problem, though. If he spawns off of the ramp, he shouldn't die, because it's at least not as bad a a 50-plus-foot drop like in Gnesis.

And if the Balmora operator already is off the ramp, as it sounded like you were saying, then the worst that will happen now is
a) he gets stuck in a wall (unlikely in an outdoor environment, but still possible)
or b) he vanishes entirely

Ryudo Lee

There is a ressurrect command that will allow you to bring npc's, like that operator in Gnisis, back to life.  There is also a command to put everybody back to where they were.  I believe when you have the console up, click on the corpse of the person you need alive and type in ressurrect.  That should bring that corpse back to life.  To put everyone back to where they were, bring up the console and type ra (it means reset actors).  Always handy for moving npcs out of your way.

llearch n'n'daCorna

And here I thought Tapewolf's preferred method of moving NPC's out of his way involved graves... :-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Ryudo Lee

Well yeah, if you wanna take the easy way out.

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on June 19, 2007, 09:36:03 AM
And here I thought Tapewolf's preferred method of moving NPC's out of his way involved graves... :-]
Oh it's so very tempting when they get stuck in the doorway and won't let me past.  It tends to upset other people though and it's such a hassle if you find you've killed someone you need later.

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: Ryudo Lee on June 19, 2007, 09:23:34 AM
There is a ressurrect command that will allow you to bring npc's, like that operator in Gnisis, back to life.  There is also a command to put everybody back to where they were.  I believe when you have the console up, click on the corpse of the person you need alive and type in ressurrect.  That should bring that corpse back to life.  To put everyone back to where they were, bring up the console and type ra (it means reset actors).  Always handy for moving npcs out of your way.

The command console tricks would be all fine and dandy, but some of us have the Xbox Morowind instead of the PC...

Ryudo Lee

Ah, well then there's not much you can do there.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Ryudo Lee on June 19, 2007, 12:18:26 PM
Ah, well then there's not much you can do there.

Pull the savegame into the PC version, correct it and then pull it back into the console?  This presupposes binary compatibility, but it might work. 

Ryudo Lee

I know you can load XBox maps into the PC version, but I don't know about save games.  Someone with an XBox will probably have to verify that.

Josh Massa

I actually figured out an exploit that will get you from just started, to level 100 in no time. Would anyone like to hear it? My description might be a little rusty, but it's fun if you don't want to stay a noob! :D

Tapewolf

Quote from: Josh Massa on June 20, 2007, 05:53:10 PM
I actually figured out an exploit that will get you from just started, to level 100 in no time. Would anyone like to hear it? My description might be a little rusty, but it's fun if you don't want to stay a noob! :D

I'm interested.  Do you think you could PM me?  I collect weird stuff like that but I don't want to ruin the game too much for others who are casually reading this...

I get the feeling that the Thieves Guild is not designed to be approached after having completed the Mages' Guild.  I have just had a remarkably surreal experience which has lead me to conclude that the Mages may have to be disciplined somehow.
Firstly, in Sadith Mora, the local thieves ring asked me to hire a mage to protect them from the Camoras.  Fair enough - I can protect them.  I love killing Camora people, it gives me a sense of justice and wellbeing.
They didn't want that so I decided to humour them.  Off to the Sadith Mage guild - this should be easy since I'm the Archmage.  Actually it isn't and my subordinates are not only rude about the whole thing but actually demand a favour first.

"Get me four chunks of Ebony ore."
"I beg your pardon?  I just gave you a duty.  Now protect the thieves' guild."
"I don't care where you get it from.  Buy it, steal it, mine it yourself, but you'll have to give me four lumps of Ebony if you want your guildhall protected."
"DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM?"

In the interests of keeping the peace I gave them four lumps that were just lying around on Ahnassi's dining room table, but I think I might have to come back later and punish them.

The second experience was just outlandish.  I came into Alderuhn via the Mage's guild transporter, all was well.  I went to the Thieves' guild and spoke to the local thief leader, who told me that the Alderuhn Mages were on some kind of holiday and could I burgle the place while they were out?  I didn't believe it because they were there two minutes ago, and besides I never signed off their holiday forms.  Nonetheless, the entire guild had absconded, apart from one lone maniac who accused me, the Arch Mage of all Vvardenfell of being a thief (Uh?  Non-guildmembers are allowed to use the teleporter!) and then proceeded to attack me.  I left his corpse as a warning to the others.  Strangely, none of them would mention this affair when they returned.

Ryudo Lee

Quote from: Josh Massa on June 20, 2007, 05:53:10 PM

I too would like a PM on this.

@Tape
As you've undoubtedly noticed, there are quite a few instances like that. 

Let me share an experience.  I just finished up with the Bloodmoon quests.  There, you can join the East Empire Company.  Well, at the end you are supposed to expose one of the important people there for his crimes.  Before going into the Bloodmoon quests, I had finished the main quest and the Imperial Legion quest so I'm the Imperial Knight Dragon or whatever it's called and St. Nerevar.  So when I get to the end of the East Empire quest, I approach this guy and he says "I'm surprised to see you here, you weren't supposed to survive."
Yeah, well you're under arrest.  I'm the freakin' Knight Dragon I can arrest you if I want.
Then he attacks me.  Yeah, attack the guy protected by prophecy.  Idiot.

Tapewolf

Does anyone know if and where you can buy a Fireball Ring, and/or a Ring of Toxic Cloud?
I'm planning the start of the adventure, so getting one made at an enchanter's place is going to be far too expensive and waiting for one to turn up in the loot is both too risky and too random.

Ryudo, did you get the PM from Josh?  If not, I can let you know the technique.  I still haven't tested it yet though.

Ryudo Lee

I did get that PM.  It's a technique that's actually already been publicized.