Soup!

Started by Arcalane, February 23, 2007, 06:05:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomato or Chicken - which is better when you're feeling unwell?

Tomato
9 (37.5%)
Chicken
15 (62.5%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Arcalane

Some say chicken soup is good for making you feel better. Personally, I prefer tomato soup.

You decide.

Tapewolf

Chicken soup makes me ill, so no contest there :P

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

King Of Hearts

Chicken soup for me on that list.

But all in all I prefer Nido Soup.

Brunhidden

i vote tomato soup, usually best with grilled cheese sandwiches but it does wonders for sore throats and blocked sinuses.

yeah, theres many people who get queasy with the idea of tomato soup though, either they don't like the smell or the tart taste or the consistency. the extra creamy tomato soups they have out there make me nauseous too, i don't know why they feel the need to make something tasty into something weird.

seriously, have you seen those 'campbells selects'? the idea of smooth gourmet soup at home is great, but why in the name of all that is large and hairy do you choose SQUASH SOUP to be your pilot product? yum yum, a bowl full of baby vomit, my mouth is watering already. throughout their whole line the only one that looks  remotely appetizing is the corn chowder, which they only came out with recently despite the rest being around for somewheres close to a year now.

QuoteOur wisdom comes from our experience, and our experience comes from our foolishness.
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Vidar

Whatever soup I eat, it will always be completely homemade. The store-bought stuff just doesn't compare, and whatever you have left over freezes very well.

Quote from: Brunhidden da Muse on February 23, 2007, 07:14:31 AM
the idea of smooth gourmet soup at home is great, but why in the name of all that is large and hairy do you choose SQUASH SOUP to be your pilot product? yum yum, a bowl full of baby vomit, my mouth is watering already.

I like squash soup, but then again, I make my own (with a little ginger and nutmeg) and not from a can. Canned soup is for when you have no time and don't mind the sodium overdose.

Talking about gourmet soup: I still have 2 servings of chestnut soup in my freezer. Very nice with a glass of whine.

Also, I'm still waiting for the weather to get really cold here so I can brew up a hearty batch of really thick pea soup with lots of veggies and various bits of meat / smoked sausage. A good pea soup is so thick and has so much stuff in it, that a spoon should be able to stand up straight in it.
\^.^/ \O.O/ \¬.¬/ \O.^/ \o.o/ \-.-/' \O.o/ \0.0/ \>.</

Brunhidden

one of the best soups out there is potato soup thats been loaded with so much bacon, beans, and shredded cheese that your essentially eating twice baked potatoes that got a little soft.

a secret told to me by a man who runs a profitable eatery serving mostly soups is that the majority of your rich creamy soups are made with instant mashed potato flakes to give it that texture. nearly every soup he made other then chicken broth and beef N veggie had instant taters in it.

on a side note again- people do not eat enough rutebegas, turnips, parsnips, and any other tuber that ends in 'snip'. really, when was the last time you ate either of those three?

QuoteCourage is contagious. When a brave man takes a stand,the spines of others are often stiffened.

Gabi

I prefer vegetable soup. Or Mexican style soup. But especially vegetable ramen, the one with shitake mushrooms in it. Corn, oat and pumpkin soups are ok too.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Ryudo Lee

Chicken noodle, the chunky kind, not that concentrate stuff.

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

superluser

Quote from: RyudoLee on February 23, 2007, 09:47:56 AMChicken noodle, the chunky kind, not that concentrate stuff.

I've never understood that.  The way that you make bouillon is by boiling bones, &c. in water.  It seems to me that what you get in the condensed varieties is the real stuff, while the non-condensed versions are simply watered down.  Furthermore, it seems like the condensed varieties would have more diverse preparation options.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Vidar

Quote from: superluser on February 23, 2007, 01:27:28 PM
Quote from: RyudoLee on February 23, 2007, 09:47:56 AMChicken noodle, the chunky kind, not that concentrate stuff.

I've never understood that.  The way that you make bouillon is by boiling bones, &c. in water.  It seems to me that what you get in the condensed varieties is the real stuff, while the non-condensed versions are simply watered down.  Furthermore, it seems like the condensed varieties would have more diverse preparation options.

Not quite.

By boiling bones in water you make stock, or bouillon, which is (amonst others) a good base for soup, but can't really be called soup, IMHO.
Good chicken soup has bits of chicken ,vegetables and good noodles in it. By good noodles I'm not talking about instant ramen, but real udon or wheat noodles whithout any freeze-dried crap mixed in it.

The condensed stuff is not nearly as good as the real thing, and is beneath my mention.

\^.^/ \O.O/ \¬.¬/ \O.^/ \o.o/ \-.-/' \O.o/ \0.0/ \>.</

Aisha deCabre

Chicken soup for me...I dunno, I've always had it when I was sick, and it just seems kinda traditional...or home remedy kinda thing.  Though tomato soup is good too.  Or clam chowder.  :3

Best home remedy for sickness: warm liquidy things, stay in bed, keep PJs on, play video games.   :B
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

Ryudo Lee

Quote from: Aisha deCabre on February 23, 2007, 04:47:58 PM
Best home remedy for sickness: warm liquidy things, stay in bed, keep PJs on, play video games.   :B

The ultimate cure-all!

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

xHaZxMaTx

Chicken makes me feel better when I'm sick, but tomato soup tastes better, and you can do all sorts of neat stuff with it.  Goldfish + tomato soup = win.

Zorro

Better than #1 Vietnamese Pho.

#1 Gumbo.

#2 Potato - Especially with roasted garlic and or mushrooms.

#3 Vegetable.

#4 Ramen.

thegayhare

Quote from: Vidar on February 23, 2007, 01:43:48 PM
Not quite.

By boiling bones in water you make stock, or bouillon, which is (amonst others) a good base for soup, but can't really be called soup, IMHO.
Good chicken soup has bits of chicken ,vegetables and good noodles in it. By good noodles I'm not talking about instant ramen, but real udon or wheat noodles whithout any freeze-dried crap mixed in it.

The condensed stuff is not nearly as good as the real thing, and is beneath my mention.

Well I'll argure there too Real stock isn't made with bones

It's made with a mirpoux (rough cut celery, onions, carrot, and whole bay leaves) as well as chicken parts (generaly a whole one quartered)  you boil it for about an hour or 2 (depending on the size) you then pull the chicken out (which can be used for a hundred other things) Skim out the Mirpoux (some chefs make a cheese cloth sake they put it in tied off and then attached to the stock pots handle with a length of butchers twine just to make it easier)  the hot stock is set to chill over night and the next morning you skimm off the condensed fat (generaly by pouring it threw a china cap)  Thats stock.

Most good reasturants have a pots of stock going all day,  they use what was made the day before in all there cooking (lots of thing use stock mainly chicken cause its versitial), and the cooked chicken from the current days stock can be used in salads, soups, sandwhiches and a hundred other things requiring pre cooked chicken.

Netami

Soup is fucking delicious.

Reese Tora

Mmm, tastes like chicken.

I don't really care for tomato (except as a sauce for pasta or in ketchup)

Then again, I don't like chicken broth, I like noodles flavored in chicken :p
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

Brunhidden

has anyone here ever known a person who has made ice cream soup?

has anyone here ever made ice cream soup themselves?

how many people here will rush off to put a bowl of ice cream on the stove just because i said something stupid?

im a bit torn whether or not branching this topic out to include stews, gumbo, and possibly even casserole would be a good idea. maybe just branching out to include sandwiches that go good with soup.

QuoteA handful of patience is worth more than a bushel of brains.

Sunblink

What, no miso soup? :P

Okay, I'm going to be honest: I don't think I've officially had any of those soups, except for a semi-equilvent which had mushrooms and chicken in it that I got from Chinese take-out. So technically, I'm going to click chicken. 'Cos it had chicken in it, that makes it chicken soup.

My logic is teh gewd.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Supercheese

Out of the choices, tomato wins hands down.

Overall, when sick I like some form of very easy to prepare ramen noodle cup-of-soup (whatever the brand name is 'round these parts). When I just want some really good soup, pho is excellent, as is French Onion, Minestrone, and... well, maybe I just like soup  :B.

I also like chili a lot. Chili + Ramen noodles = awesome.

Tarkya

Eh, I have to say tomato. It's a bit easier on the stomach since you don't have... well, noodles and chicken.

Tastes awesome if you saturate the stuff with cheddar, too.

Zedd

I like tomato...Specialy homemade and crushed up with some milk and butter in the mix

Turnsky

Minnstrone soup, which is tomato based, with vegetables, & pasta.. good eatin'!

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..