Northern Winds (OOC) - Open

Started by Stygian, February 04, 2007, 11:00:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stygian

This is where I want explanations. Immediately.

Aisha deCabre

*Finishes reading and blinks* ...Uhm, I wish I could offer one.  oO;
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

Cogidubnus

Just trying to keep the RP moving, boss. I'll talk to you in a moment.

Stygian

You could start by running to the room of the three mothafuckin' snakes and punch in the right keys, and a door might lead you down a staircase into the wonderful time. Here, you must choose scientology. You could [epic music] and pass into the room of the golden Nintendo 64! Once there, push it to the limit to release the Roflcopterswooswooswoo...!

Or, more seriously, people with the mind-controlling abilities might want to act a bit earlier.

Stygian

Allright people, this is when I'm starting to suspect that this might not work out. Unless we actually post, this is going down the drain like so many other RPs. So, I propose that first, we do a roll call, and then we get to discussing what's the damn holdup.

Sunblink

If you're doing a roll call, I'd like to state that I'm still in the game and still more than happy to post--I'm just waiting for an opportune moment to, since Xianxi is acting as stealthy as a ninja.

So yes, I'm in. And I'm sorry about my inactivity here.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Aisha deCabre

*Raises hand*  Present, of course.   :3  I might track Gar down as well...

Also, I thought the holdup was...somewhat on purpose?  x3  Since we're all having a free time before the next big piece of action, so to speak.
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

Boog

Present. Just rather little idea as to where to go from here other than small talk, the friendly types thereof I believe I've exhausted. I've pretty much been waiting for Keaton to do something.

Mel Dragonkitty

Mel here. The dragon is walking back to the meeting site along with Aisha unless something more interesting comes along to distract them.
My, I'll bet you monsters lead interesting lives. I said to my girlfriend just the other day: "Gee, I'll bet monsters are interesting," I said. The places you must go and the things you must see. My stars! And I'll bet you meet a lot of interesting people, too. I'm always interested in meeting interesting people.

Cogidubnus

I am, of course, here. Sitting in a coffeeshop, waiting for things to start exploding.

Or something like that.

Tezkat

I'm still popping in every now and then. I have some stuff going on in RL that's kinda sapping my inspiration to write interesting filler for this RP, though.

The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Stygian

Ah. Well, I can understand that. Except that were it not for infrequencies and a few minor problems this would be character development, rather than filler.

I'm getting the point here. We'll get somewhere faster, yes...

Stygian

Alright. This is the official jumpstart for the Northern Winds RP. Since we don't seem to want to focus on the miscellaneous business right now, I am suggesting that everyone meet back in the coffee shop.

I am also announcing the NW RP open for new characters and players, in the interest of turning the game healthy again. We have an excellent opportunity to include more people in here, once we get the story on the roll again, and I would like to see some new faces.

Gareeku

Well, Gareeku is now at the coffee shop, having bought a brand spanking new suit for the goings-on in the club. when he wants to, that wolf can dress sharp.

Tezkat

Sorry. That came out a little... uh... longer than expected, even after I cut out the second half. I started cramming a month's worth of interesting filler character development into a single post and got a bit carried away. :animesweat

The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Stygian

Hah! Well, at least it's good to have you back. We'll continue this pretty quickly, I hope...

Gareeku

Um, Cog, Gar's got a normal suit (black pants and top and a white shirt) and he hasn't put it on yet. Sebastian's the one with the white suit. ^^;

Cogidubnus

My apologies, sir. I must have misread. *fix'd*

Gareeku

SpottedKitty

Quote from: Stygian on September 21, 2007, 05:27:26 PM
I am also announcing the NW RP open for new characters and players,

I think I'd like to stick my tail in here, if you don't mind, it's been a while since I did much online RP. What sort of new character are you looking for — male, female, fighter, mage, fantasy, "modern", exotic? I have a few old characters I could dust off and adapt into a Furrae scenario easily enough. One or two of them should fit into the upcoming scene quite nicely, they're real party animals...
ENGLISH: A language that lurks in dark alleys, beats up other languages
and rifles through their pockets for spare vocabulary.

Stygian

Quote from: SpottedKitty on September 30, 2007, 02:35:24 PM
Quote from: Stygian on September 21, 2007, 05:27:26 PM
I am also announcing the NW RP open for new characters and players,

I think I'd like to stick my tail in here, if you don't mind, it's been a while since I did much online RP. What sort of new character are you looking for — male, female, fighter, mage, fantasy, "modern", exotic? I have a few old characters I could dust off and adapt into a Furrae scenario easily enough. One or two of them should fit into the upcoming scene quite nicely, they're real party animals...

What we are looking for? Who gives a damn? This RP isn't about that sort of thing. What character you choose is entirely up to you, though please do make sure it's something that fits into the setting. Other than that, it would be nice if it were someone who would actually go into a wild club like the Red Sands. But that's not a requisite.

Really, just pick whatever you like. Though be prepared for Stygian's hatred if it is a Fae.

SpottedKitty

Quote from: Stygian on September 30, 2007, 06:19:08 PM
Other than that, it would be nice if it were someone who would actually go into a wild club like the Red Sands.

In that case, I know exactly who to give a furstyle and wardrobe change. OK if I post a character info sheet here in a day or two? I'll have to re-read the bits where the club's described.

Quote from: Stygian on September 30, 2007, 06:19:08 PM
Though be prepared for Stygian's hatred if it is a Fae.

Not a problem, this character can be a bit scatterbrained at times, but definitely can't be mistaken for a Fae. Let me know when and (if needed) how to make an appearance, and I'll get something written up.

Stygian

Please, submit anything whenever you wish. We'll most likely pick you up in the club on our way out, so you have a bit of time...

SpottedKitty

OK, here's a character I used to put in some of my stories, but she hasn't had much of the limelight recently so I decided to dust her off for the occasion. Take a bow, Kerya.

-------------------

Name: Kerya
Nickname(s): She does have one she likes, but only her boyfriend gets to use it.
Race: Being
Species: Stoat (similar to ferret)
Family and Association(s): Master-ranked mage of the Four Rings school.
Place of Origin: Somewhere much too far away right now for her comfort.

Physical description

Height: 4' 2" (if she stands on tiptoe and tilts her muzzle up).
Weight: 50lb. She's a bit overweight, likes sweet things a bit too much.
Build: Slinky (as in the springy toy) -- her body is longer and thinner, and arms and legs shorter than average.
Eyes: Purple
Hair: Not much, really just a thicker tuft of slightly darker fur on the top and back of her head.
Fur Coloration: Rich chestnut brown, white from chin to stomach, black tail tip. Brown fur turns white in winter, or in prolonged period of really cold weather.
Distinguishing features: Smaller ears, a different muzzle shape and much less head hair would make her stand out next to an average ferret. Unless she has an excuse to wear a nice dress, she almost always wears the robes of her rank, grey with long sleeves and silver trim, and a silver cloak brooch. When working, she carries a wooden staff, almost her own height and intricately carved with silver end caps. Usually her clothes will hide it, but there is a finger-wide scar running up her right upper arm, over her shoulder, and part way down her back.

Biographical and general information

History: Kerya is a recently qualified Master-ranked mage of the Four Rings school of magic. Think of her as a university graduate with the scorch marks still smoking on her testimonial, all bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, ready to take on the world with one hand tied behind her back. As is traditional for wet-behind-the-ears Four Rings mages, she's now left the school for a wanderjahr.

A close examination of Kerya (close enough to earn you a whap upside the muzzle) will reveal she's Not From Around Here -- she's actually from another world entirely. A few months ago, Kerya acquired a not-quite-working Portal spell. After some work she fixed the spell, but she's discovered it's quite finicky (some spoken parts are very sensitive to tone of voice, and almost have to be sung) and can still go wrong. Especially if you sneeze right in the middle of defining the far end of the Portal...

Since finding herself in Furrae a few days ago, Kerya has been trying to get back home. But magic doesn't work quite the same way here as she's used to, some spells work as expected, some misbehave randomly, some just don't work. Her only choices are to recreate the research she did on the Portal spell, which could take weeks or months, or find a trustworthy local mage and trade information to find out exactly how to alter her spells.

Personality: Kerya doesn't entirely display what people might consider the stereotyped mustelid personality. She's hard to intimidate, even if you're twice her size. She can be cheerful and friendly, and usually is whenever she isn't showing her formal "company manners" on a job. On the down side, she can hold a grudge for an amazing length of time, and she can be a bit mercurial when the mood takes her.
Kerya's sense of humour has been described as "difficult to get along with". Her favourite trick is miniature, precisely guided fireballs. If you annoy her enough, they're not illusions.

Abilities: As a Master mage, Kerya has a variety of offensive and defensive spells to call on, and she's not limited to just the power she can hold within herself. The magic she uses is a bit different from what's found in Furrae, though: it could be described as mostly Light, but not all of it.  Her training includes physical defences as well: while her staff is mainly intended to be a focus and power-sink for her more powerful spells, it also makes a nice heavy club (among other things).

Strengths: Typically of a mustelid, Kerya's reactions are very fast. She's not physically very strong, but she can use spells to do "heavy lifting" for her. While not actually a fully trained Battle Mage, she can hold her own in a fight and tends not to panic unless the situation is so bad a panic attack is a perfectly reasonable reaction.

Weaknesses: Kerya has had a compulsion laid on her by the Adepts of her mage school. In a disastrous situation, especially if caused by magic, she will be pushed into offering help. Kerya doesn't mind the compulsion all that much, but she wishes it put more emphasis on getting paid for what might be a risky job. It also tends to grab her attention at the most inconvenient (in her opinion) moments. One drawback of her species is that she can be quite excitable: this is easily noticeable as she speaksfasterandfasterandmovesinablur until it's hard to guess what she might do next. Kerya is not used to "modern" technology, and may be puzzled as she tries to work out the magic making it go.

Trivia: Considers chocolate an assassin's softening-up weapon (it makes her sick), and may react accordingly if anyone offers to give her some and she recognises the taste.
If you look closely at her mouth as she speaks, you might notice her lipsynch is sometimes off by a second or two.
Apart from her fondness for sweet things, and the odd ripe fruit, Kerya is entirely carnivorous. Vegetables are what food eats.

Stygian

I must say... Quite a good choice of character. A ferret and a pure mage will give the group a bit of contrast. And one who doesn't like chocolate? Tell me then, what does she think of alcohol and cigarettes?

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: SpottedKitty on October 03, 2007, 03:20:30 PM
A close examination of Kerya (close enough to earn you a whap upside the muzzle) will reveal she's Not From Around Here -- she's actually from another world entirely. A few months ago, Kerya acquired a not-quite-working Portal spell. After some work she fixed the spell, but she's discovered it's quite finicky (some spoken parts are very sensitive to tone of voice, and almost have to be sung) and can still go wrong. Especially if you sneeze right in the middle of defining the far end of the Portal...

*snerk*

Kerya's sense of humour has been described as "difficult to get along with". Her favourite trick is miniature, precisely guided fireballs. If you annoy her enough, they're not illusions.

I have this mental image of a scene out of The Fifth Element, where the Bad Guy is demonstrating a guided automatic weapon to his mooks. He puts the target over here, and his mooks behind him, turns around to face the mooks, and pulls the trigger.

The bullets all CURVE over his shoulder to hit the target behind him. MOST impressive special effects, there. And not a lot in it, despite all that. But it looks damn cool...

.. so I now have this image of fireballs curving in the air, around things in the way, to hit what they're aimed at. And then half of them turning out to be illusionary fireballs anyway...

Apart from her fondness for sweet things, and the odd ripe fruit, Kerya is entirely carnivorous. Vegetables are what food eats.

Also *snerk*
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

SpottedKitty

Quote from: Stygian on October 03, 2007, 04:14:55 PM
And one who doesn't like chocolate?

Where she comes from, mustelids, cats, dogs, etc. have the same intolerance for a chemical in chocolate (theobromine?) as in our world. She was exposed to the stuff once as part of her training. Her fondest wish is never to taste it again.

Tell me then, what does she think of alcohol

She's quite fond of fine brandies. She says, "if you're buying, I'll have a double."   :rolleyes

and cigarettes?

Doesn't like them, she's also quite fond of her sense of smell.

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 03, 2007, 04:18:08 PM
.. so I now have this image of fireballs curving in the air, around things in the way, to hit what they're aimed at.

They only hit if you've really PO'd her. Usually they go into a tight orbit around the target's muzzle. It works a bit like a radio-controlled plane, or a TOW missile. With enough setup time and power to burn to prepare the right spells, she can also guide them beyond line-of-sight for maybe half a mile or so.

Stygian

So I understand she favors fire magic? That would be pretty neat. If she could put out the fires from all the bars that we are going to explode...

SpottedKitty

Quote from: Stygian on October 03, 2007, 05:56:39 PM
If she could put out the fires from all the bars that we are going to explode...
If you're willing to trust a fire-suppression spell she hasn't needed to try since she was stranded, so she has no idea if it'll work as expected or make matters worse...   

llearch n'n'daCorna

Can I put my money on "make matters worse" ? ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears