Northern Winds (OOC) - Open

Started by Stygian, February 04, 2007, 11:00:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kogitsune

I know the rules say I shouldn't but.... Can I please just edit my post?..............

Stygian

Umm... Yes. Of course. Why not?

Also, please don't double-post. Not anywhere. The edit button is there for a reason.

Kogitsune

Sunblink

Hello Kogitsune. Sorry to interrupt, but Keaton has her wings and headwings hidden, so there's no way to tell that she's a Succubus other than her clan marking. Even that's concealed at the moment, though.

So if you don't mind, could you please edit your post? Sorry for any trouble. X3

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Kogitsune

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on May 24, 2007, 10:18:04 PM
Hello Kogitsune. Sorry to interrupt, but Keaton has her wings and headwings hidden, so there's no way to tell that she's a Succubus other than her clan marking. Even that's concealed at the moment, though.

So if you don't mind, could you please edit your post? Sorry for any trouble. X3

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Okay, working on it! Sorry 'bout that.

Sunblink

Quote from: Kogitsune on May 24, 2007, 10:20:50 PM
Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on May 24, 2007, 10:18:04 PM

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Okay, working on it! Sorry 'bout that.

S'quite alright. Don't worry about it too much. :3

Also, Stygian, here's a profile for an upcoming character.

Name: Deirdre Donnachaidh
Nickname(s): Miss Dei, Deedee
Race: Gryphon (Bipedal, Sentient Race)
Family and Association(s): Parents' names unknown
Place of Origin: Unknown, was possibly raised in a more ordinary, suburban location

Physical description

Height: 5'7"
Weight: 120 lbs
Build: Lanky, lacking any noticeable curves or feminine allure.
Eyes: A muted sulfur, the color of which is clouded by thick, membranous cataracts. Her pupils are slanted and vertically slit, reminiscent of those of a feline's.
Hair: Shaggy black, cropped to resemble a man's.
Fur Coloration: Sandy ginger
Distinguishing features: Stripes of varying hues of bronze cover her body and wings and pinstripe the length of her tail, branching in an elaborate nest coating her back. Large black spots crown her left ear, the end of her elongated tail, her right forearm, and her left lower leg. Brown spots decorate her right ear, her left forearm, and her right lower leg. Smaller spots of both ebony and chocolate-brown dapple her back in no predictable order or arrangement. The flight feathers of her wings are brown. Often dresses in men's clothing such as dress shirts, jackets, and using a sports bra to keep her chest flat, and carries a drawstring backpack stuffed with various possessions and necessities. Sometimes she stresses the masculine persona further by wearing false facial hair to imitate a sort of stubble. Keeps her sword in its scabbard looped around her waist. Beneath her clothing, her body is crisscrossed with various scars: some seemingly the product of blades, some pockmarked patterns created by teeth, and others made by claws. Notably, a thick, horizontal scar mars the skin around her right eye, fortunately leaving the eye itself intact, although there is a thin, translucent line barely visible behind the membrane of that eye's cataract.

Biographical and general information

History: The average person knows very little about Deirdre Donnachaidh's history, mostly because very few people bother to ask her, and she rarely bothers to tell. All that is apparent is that Deirdre was an Adventurer at one moment in her life, lasting longer than most in her profession, and had encountered certain dangerous characters amidst her career. One of these collisions had resulted in her incapacitation due to eye injuries and life-threatening wounds, but quite remarkably she was on her feet once more. It is also known that this career was brought to an impromptu conclusion once she was forced to retire when she received notification from her doctor about her glioblastoma multiforme—her brain tumor. After she ended her Adventuring career she decided to live every second of what remained of her life as happily as she could, without regrets, and in order to do so she sold the majority of her possessions and began travelling.

Old habits and occupations die hard, however, and Deirdre occasionally finds herself forced to take up her sword again. So far little has been exposed about Deirdre's history, but the future will herald new developments.

Personality: Underneath the masculine apparel and the gung-ho and hack-happy reputation Adventurers have unfortunately garnered, Deirdre is a surprisingly reasonable and benevolent individual. Having become an Adventurer out of altruistic motivations, she has a deep appreciation for life and intends to enjoy every minute remaining in her decreasing existence, something she derives from helping others. Instead of enjoying battles for the visceral thrill, Deirdre simply treats them as no more than doing her job—and further stepping outside of the stereotypes of her occupation she tends to ask questions first, then hack and slash later, unless the situation is extremely perilous.

Deirdre is very logical, but hardly disillusioned. While she acknowledges the worst in a situation she keeps her hopes up for the best, then quickly picks up the pieces and attempts to recover when things go wrong. Despite her optimism she's far from blind, sometimes possessing an almost uncharacteristically rough, raw, fatalistic edge to her demeanor when confessing the cold, hard truth to a stubbornly ignorant individual. On another hand she has a surprisingly dry sense of humor and isn't afraid to confront most problems or analyze situations from all perspectives. Deirdre has also learned to regard her glioblastoma multiforme without breaking down, even though it means that her life will inevitably end prematurely. She has dubbed the malignant tumor nestled in her brain as her "lumpy little problem," an almost affectionate epithet for what could be her death.

All she knows is that she's now enjoying life to the fullest and hoping to go out with a bang, not a whimper.

Abilities: Swordsmanship, flight, speed, magical prowess and versatility

Strengths: Having an aptitude and almost natural understanding for magic, Deirdre has pooled her resources and training into almost every elemental category, granting her a great deal of balanced spells to use in her arsenal. Fast and flexible, Deirdre can swing her sword, cast spells, and generally fight with quicksilver speed, even taking her agility to the air by using her wings to fly. Most of the time Deirdre relies on her sword, a customized weapon with a magically-reinforced and enhanced blade, the enchantments bewitching the blade allowing it to endure immensely strong assaults without denting or tarnishing in the slightest. She is a highly skilled swordsman who is nearly relentless in her attacks, stringing together stab after stab in order to disorient and chisel away at her opponent's defenses.

Weaknesses: Deirdre is nothing special in terms of strength or durability. Since she has no particular magical strengths and has divided her investments in each element, she isn't incredibly powerful in any selective elements. Thanks to the cataracts on her eyes, she has extremely poor vision and often requires someone else's help to see fine details or most anything beyond an enormous, multicolored blur. Her eyes are also extremely sensitive and vulnerable to strong light and other forms of provocation. When it comes to the battlefield this handicap is particularly exacerbated, especially when someone manages to weasel past her defenses. Hand-to-hand combat is another aspect Deirdre is weak in, so all her weaknesses are essentially laid bare when she is disarmed and her magical abilities are disabled.

Trivia: -   Deirdre is what one may call a "drag king," the broader definition of such known as "a female-bodied male impersonator." The shorter definition classifies drag kings as performers, but Deirdre, despite her singing talents, is not a performer.
-   Deirdre has a rather tomboyish singing voice. She loves swing music.
-   Deirdre's cataracts were not congenital, or the product of aging. They were caused by eye trauma, which was fortunately mostly healed by magic, but could not remove the cataracts. Her eyes are still sensitive today, although quite fortunately the development of the cataracts is decelerated, and is in a relatively premature stage. It can be assumed that the line barely visible on Deirdre's right eye has been caused by the same injury which nearly blinded her.
-   When she isn't wearing men's clothing, Deirdre likes more casual wear such as jeans and t-shirts.
-   Measurements are 24B-24-30.

~Keaton the Black Jackal
EDIT (11/18/07): Edited with a slightly new design, revised history, and more information.

Tezkat

Quote from: Stygian on May 24, 2007, 07:23:14 PM
Since I expect that someone will have some objections about my last post, I am going to preemptively say that I'm sorry and that I will be changing... well, just about anything in it upon request. :B

There you go, setting a bad example after I chided someone for one-hit KOs... :mowtongue

Heh... I wasn't expecting the scenario I PMed you to turn out quite so... uh... painful. :dface I suppose we did save a few days worth of fight scene that way, though. :animesweat I'll just have to wait until next time to look cool kicking your ass. >:]

Quote from: Kogitsune on May 24, 2007, 08:55:11 PM
eh, like I said, I think my latest thing suits her better, kinda. well, I have to read the last few pages of the RP to know what's going on! See yas!

Welcome aboard, Kogitsune. To help you get up to speed with the setting...

It's currently the middle of the night. There's a nice big moon out. All the action is taking place at the Dragon's Grin, a (normally) quiet and secluded little seaside inn south of the port city of Haszal. Apparently, it's run by an actual dragon, though I'm not sure how common that knowledge is supposed to be.

Incidentally, even if your character didn't notice the dozens of people shooting, slashing, or tossing fireballs at each other on her way up the road, she might have recognized that the magical blizzard that iced half the forest a few minutes ago or the more recent nuclear explosion were unusual events for Haszal in the springtime. >:] You're otherwise doing an decent job of conveying shock and confusion. :3

Don't worry about your colours, by the way. Everyone here wears all black anyway. :mowninja

The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Kogitsune

O-kay! Since I don't want to forget myself, Orin, Kiri's father was.... A dragon!........... Yeah, I'm not quite sure how it works, since the stuff on genetics isn't out yet.... All I can say is that since Kiri is half being, and because of the pendant (which IS a patch) she wears, she looks normal. As she never takes the pendant off, and has not reached maturity, she has no wings (visible, anyway) and doesn't think she ever WILL. Yeah...  :aack

Mel Dragonkitty

Kogitsune, you might not want to commit to that until the genetics arc and to go reread Demonology 101. I think only cubi have puberty transformations and they are born with their back wings. I'm betting we'll find that babies are basicly born what they are going to be, and don't have major rearrangements of body structure after 15 years (except maybe some of the really freaky mythos). And a dragon probably has enough magic not to ever need a patch.

And elipses have three dots (...) not four or eleven.
My, I'll bet you monsters lead interesting lives. I said to my girlfriend just the other day: "Gee, I'll bet monsters are interesting," I said. The places you must go and the things you must see. My stars! And I'll bet you meet a lot of interesting people, too. I'm always interested in meeting interesting people.

Tezkat

Creatures (and Creature-Being hybrids in particular) aren't always born with all of their Creature characteristics, but the extra traits usually pop up at adulthood rather than puberty--when they've "finished growing", according to Amber. Human epiphyses typically fuse well before age 20, so it's possible that the growth she's talking about isn't entirely physical. Her balloon analogy partially supports that viewpoint. Dan and Abel acquired their headwings in their mid-20s. Lorenda's Demon wings came in around the same age. Aaryanna got her headwings in her late teens, and that was considered early.

It's unlikely that the subject of Dragon-Being pairings will appear in the Hybrid Genetics mini-arc unless we start a campaign to bug Amber about it. >:] She's repeatedly sidestepped the issue in the past, both in the comic and on the forums. Given the level of magical power that Dragons possess, any "rules" governing their progeny would be inherently flexible anyway.

As for the patch... Dragons are nothing if not long-term thinkers. Even though her dad wouldn't have needed one himself, he may have worn it for the sole purpose of getting it into Kiri's paws after he left. That stuff is all just plot hook fodder anyway, so the most important rules it needs to follow are "That Looks Good" and "The GM is Always Right".
:mowcookie

Mel Dragonkitty

Obviously she can and will do anything she wants and can use the "it's magic" card to cover it. This can turn out very very good, or very very bad. I was gently hinting that she might want to run the character through a Mary Sue test to make sure she hasn't overloaded on the benefits and ignored the disadvantages.
My, I'll bet you monsters lead interesting lives. I said to my girlfriend just the other day: "Gee, I'll bet monsters are interesting," I said. The places you must go and the things you must see. My stars! And I'll bet you meet a lot of interesting people, too. I'm always interested in meeting interesting people.

Aisha deCabre

Say, Boog?  I don't think Mel has really revealed yet that she is an ice dragon in the RP...
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

Boog

He saw the big wings earlier, and heard her speak in draconic. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to make the connection.

Gareeku

Say Boog? Kindly stop with the snarky comments. Aisha was only stating what she thought.

Boog

Sorry about that; snarkiness wasn't what I was aiming for. I meant no offense.

Kogitsune

I am, once again, getting the feeling that my character is the most boring one in the RP  :.

Not whining. Just commenting......

I think....

Boog

Kogi, the cast consists of an angry adventuror, a demon hunter, a dragon, two flavors of demon, a calm adventuror, an altered angel, a cubi hitman and an undead musician. Boring makes you stand out here. :P

Gareeku

Kogitsune

yeah, I guess boring kinda stands out in that group...  :3

Boog

Every group needs at least one civilian to add perspective. Don't worry about it.

Mel Dragonkitty

And your character is the youngest and least worldly of the group. She'll catch up eventually if she sticks with this disreputable group.

Tezkat

I'm a fan of low-powered PCs, myself... or even full blown victim campaigns. Flying by the seat of your pants and using wits to defeat enemies can be much more interesting than pwning them in one shot with a twinked out character. Granted, in a high-powered campaign like this one, there's always the danger of turning into a sidekick figure. Regardless, a fresh perspective like Kiri's can only benefit this RP.
:mowcookie

On an unrelated matter...

Quick question for the other folks in the group: Is anyone not shielding their thoughts? Inquiring minds mind-readers want to know... >:]

Boog

Richard has no way of doing so, but I find myself wondering if being undead might mess with that somehow.

Aisha deCabre

Aisha can't shield her thoughts, but she's pretty good at hiding them anyway, having been friend to a few 'Cubi.   :rolleyes
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

Somber

Ugh, sorry for being so incommunicado the past week.  Long story short, Alice and I had to find a new place to live for a while.  It's been a hell of a week and next week isn't going to be much better.  I hope things will normalize some time this week and I can come back.  Till then Somber can just be recovering.

Kogitsune

sorry for the amazing shortness of my posts. There really isn't much to say in Kiri's situation... That and I suck at writing.  :c

Kogitsune

sorry about the incredible lack of posts lately. I have come down with severe writers block, and life's been, well, quite frankly it's been a bitch. It's supposed to be summer, but I'm busier than ever! Yeeg  :erk. Anyways, sorry. I won't be posting for a while. Once my head stops ringing and I actually get an idea, I'll post.

Mel Dragonkitty

Cog, Mel hasn't appeared in her dragon form yet. She looks like a snow leopard right now.

Cogidubnus

Sorry Mel. Cog was being a distracted Cog. :B

Somber

Hi everyone.  Sorry for being absent so long but things kinda fell apart on me for a bit.  Anyway, if it's okay, would it be possible for me to come back this afternoon?

"Just wondering."

Somber