Let's talk about Christmas!

Started by RJ, December 18, 2006, 06:14:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RJ

That time of the year is nearly upon us, so let's do a little group discussion about our plans, and afterwards... (the best part), boast about our presents!  :U

RJ's... Whatever: Here's what's happened to me so far...

Got too long and ranty, so I decided LJ was a better place to be emo at.

But to sum it up- I may have stabbed myself in the finger with a knife, but at least I had fun apart from that. And no, it wasn't serious, just a little puncture.

Tapewolf

I seem to have built up a few emotional scars about Christmas, or more specifically New Year as many terrible things have happened during that period.  Since none of the presents I have ordered for this year have turned up yet, it's getting off to an inauspicious start.  :<

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

King Of Hearts

Nice to see you are hanging on RJ. Dont worry Tapewolf, things are bound to get better eventually, what exactly happened to you before?.

Oh and Merry Christmas!

At least here. Apparently we have the longest Christmas season starting nine days before the 25th and ending during the first sunday of the new year which is the feast of the Three Kings.

December 16 began the Philippine Cristmas season with the Simbang Gabi or Evening mass. The story my grandmother tells me is that you complete the Nine evening masses your wish will be granted.

Though more of the parishoners use this time to meet up with their lovers and eat traditional Simbang gabi treats, the puto bumbong and the bibinka or girl/guy watching than actually paying attention to the service. :P

RJ

Aw, sorry to hear about that Tapewolf... that sounds horrible. Hope your presents turn up soon though. :<

Christmas doesn't last all that long here really with my family. We'll perhaps go shopping a couple days before Christmas, and then we have Christmas Day and we'll go see a movie on Boxing Day with friends. That's about it really :/

Tapewolf

Quote from: King Of Hearts on December 18, 2006, 06:46:01 AM
Nice to see you are hanging on RJ. Dont worry Tapewolf, things are bound to get better eventually, what exactly happened to you before?.

At the risk of casting a chill upon the festive mood:

1995: Mother died
1998: Dog died, firm I had been working for went under
2000: Stepmother's mother died
2004: Grandmother died (father's side)
2005: Grandmother died (mother's side), stepmother maimed

..so as you can probably guess, Christmas for me has gained something of an association with family members dying.
1999 and 2002 were kind of gloomy too, although that was more for economic/employment reasons than actually losing anyone.

Zedd

Damaris

:(  Poor Tapewolf.  I wouldn't like it either.

We're celebrating Hannukah this week (albeit poorly, but we're not really Jewish, so eh- it makes Darkmoon's dad (who is Jewish) happy)

We'll probably celebrate Christmas with my family sometime this week.

We'll go down to Darkmoon's mom for actual Christmas, which down there is more of a secular thing with family and presents.

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

Tapewolf

Quote from: Damaris on December 18, 2006, 07:22:36 AM
:(  Poor Tapewolf.  I wouldn't like it either.
I might add that wasn't a plea for sympathy, just giving the reason I get jittery around this time..

QuoteWe're celebrating Hannukah this week (albeit poorly, but we're not really Jewish, so eh- it makes Darkmoon's dad (who is Jewish) happy)

We'll probably celebrate Christmas with my family sometime this week.

We'll go down to Darkmoon's mom for actual Christmas, which down there is more of a secular thing with family and presents.

Heh.  My brother's fiancee is Jewish, so this could make for quite an interesting celebration this year.  The preliminary wedding plans are looking pretty convoluted as well.

Kasarn

Already got mine

I won't be doing anything of interest.
I might watch the 4th Ashes test; there's not really much else to do.

Valynth

My plans:  Do nothing, continue working out.  I might take a few pictures of the work out to please the photography gods, but beyond that I'm not doing much.
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

Aridas

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 18, 2006, 07:06:39 AM
Quote from: King Of Hearts on December 18, 2006, 06:46:01 AM

At the risk of casting a chill upon the festive mood:

1995: Mother died
1998: Dog died, firm I had been working for went under
2000: Stepmother's mother died
2004: Grandmother died (father's side)
2005: Grandmother died (mother's side), stepmother maimed

..so as you can probably guess, Christmas for me has gained something of an association with family members dying.
1999 and 2002 were kind of gloomy too, although that was more for economic/employment reasons than actually losing anyone.

I think my mom had a deal with that too, though all it did was make her more psycho about getting the decorations up...

Farinata

Plans: Well, I considered getting heavily drunk but alcohol just makes me fall asleep so no fun there. I'll probably just hang out and sketch and read and play games on my computer. It's the true meaning of Christmas!

And Tapewolf... I actually don't know what to say, except that I hope you manage to have a happy holiday regardless.

Drake Manaweilder

My plans: As little as possible for as long as possible with lots of drawing breaks.
That's what i do during the weekends anyways but theres honestly NOTHING to do in my town.

Got a computer two weeks ago, and i'm hoping to ger either Starcraft+Broodwar, or a Scanner, or both. Perhaps I'l get a game for my PS2 but I'm doubting it.

yeah, Pretty boring.

Miaka

Because my mothe'rs the only person in my immediate family that religious(well, we belong to a church, but the Uniterian Universalist one hardly counts as an actual religion.) and she's Pagan, so we celebrate on the winter solstice(Yule).

I almost always have school on that day(usually the first day before vacation or the like.)

I'm getting a camera and a coat, I bought my little brother a game for his GBA, my mom a book, Dag the first Ultimate X-Men book, and I don't want to say what I bought Kaos yet. >>

Shadrok

I've already done part of what I do every year for Christmas.

Last Sunday I spent time with my Great Grandmother and family, and on Christmas day I'll be spending it with my Grandmother and family.

Wildy

Quote from: Farinata on December 18, 2006, 12:39:06 PM
Plans: Well, I considered getting heavily drunk but alcohol just makes me fall asleep so no fun there. I'll probably just hang out and sketch and read and play games on my computer. It's the true meaning of Christmas!

I'm up for that one.. After a movie and hitting the bar (The only two places open on Christmas Day) But -someone- had to go and be born on Christmas day, so I'm not only celebrating Christmas, but a birthday with someone as well. I likely won't get drunk, I'll drive. But as soon as we get home. Yeaaahh.. Drunken WoW!!! I can see it now...

Too bad I have to work the next day. Stoopid holiday being on a Monday. *grumbles*

But Woot for Second Shift! So sleeping in FTW!

xHaZxMaTx

What will I be doing on my 2 weeks off from school?  Sleep and Halo.  And of course spending time with family on Christmas day.

bill

I get 8 days off, including the weekend.  :<

Supercheese

Well, even as I type my little sister is pestering me to do stuff with her. Since she's out of school, I don't expect this to stop anytime soon, likely continuing past the New Year. I don't mind 'cause my sister is really cool (she begs me to play Twilight Princess "with" her. More like just her watching me...)

Also, Dad bought himself a new Ford Explorer, writing it off as a "business expense". He's really jazzed and thinking "road trip!" We'll probably be driving south for more warmth. Fun in the sun and all that.  :)

hiro1112

I'll be getting that Superman dvd collectors package. So I imagine I'll be spending much of my time watching Superman on Christmas.

bill

I'm likely getting a pair of noise-reduction headphones that I've had my eyes on.

ITOS

Quote from: BillBuckner on December 19, 2006, 03:29:04 PM
I'm likely getting a pair of noise-reduction headphones that I've had my eyes on.

Not the light-reduction glasses you've had your ears on? ;-P

[Edited because my language skills drops after 22:00]
This generic comment was brought to you by:

bill

*deactivates Murray Walker mode*

Gabi

Well, I'm already celebrating Hannukah. I even had a party, thanks to Sergio and Joan, my relatives from New York. Lots and lots of food.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Suwako

I'm getting a Computer-monitor (TFT, LCD whatever) Paying half of it myself since my parents budget isn't that large this month.

:U I want a laptop , but they're so.... expensive...

TheGreyRonin

Let's see. I'm working Christmas eve, spending the day with my folks, then back to work afterwards. Man I love being an adult....*sighs*

Valynth

hmmm, Christmas smells like sarcasm this year!
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.

xHaZxMaTx

It doesn't feel like Christmas is in 6 days. :/

Valynth

That's probably because reality, cynicism, and the economy have teamed up to ruin Christmas.

TheGreyRonin

Well, Christmas has never really been a big thing for me. My family lives scattered across the U.S., so getting together is a logistical nightmare.

Plus, we've been in a drought for the past few years here, with this year being the worst. Since the snow flurries in late September, it's been dry as a bone and dead brown here. Hardly inspires cheerful seasonal feelings, in my book.