2006/12/11 Guess he didn't need mind-reading...

Started by superluser, December 10, 2006, 10:08:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Now that I did not expect.

Quote from: Grenn on December 10, 2006, 10:38:38 PM
Actually, I think it's equally as likley that as soon as Jyrras lets the secret out, Lexi will walk through the door and Jyrras will see two of them :)

Since Mab and Alexsi have now met, and since Alexsi was concerned about the inn in front of Destania, her first question is likely to be "What about the inn?" at which point she'll be filled in on the plan.  If they fail to wait for the reporter to leave it's their own fault and not Dan's.
But yeah, Jyrras could be a casualty of the plan.  >:3

Dan himself is pretty resilient... the only thing which caused him to break down was Ink telling him that his natural calling was an adventurer-slayer, and even that might not have happened if it wasn't for the fact that too many things had happened at once.

No, Dan's reaction is apt to be more like when Merlitz broached the subject in #279.  It's Jyrras who's has a history of snapping under stress...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Zedd

Naw lets say he did and live with it and felt much better after a good nap

Sid

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 11, 2006, 04:33:10 AM
No, Dan's reaction is apt to be more like when Merlitz broached the subject in #279.  It's Jyrras who's has a history of snapping under stress...

Funny that you mention that, actually. Dan's initial reaction is kinda note-worthy: [Link] :P

And yes. Amber seemingly developed a nasty habit of luring people into the "End of Arc, all is well" mood even as she is charging up the Plot Death Star. :erk
:boogie

Tapewolf

Quote from: Sid on December 11, 2006, 05:49:04 AM
Funny that you mention that, actually. Dan's initial reaction is kinda note-worthy: [Link] :P

Quite.  It startled him, and he looked pretty surprised in the following strip, but he recovered pretty quickly and his immediate reaction wasn't "get away from me you freak!" or anything like that either.  The other interesting point which only hit me just now is that Jyrras saw the whole exchange.

If Dan plays it right he might be able to effect a successful put-down of Jyrras by role-playing his sister, assuming he doesn't flub his lines in the initial shock.  I can imagine Alexsi being somewhat surprised too, so it could work as long as he can keep from referring to himself as Dan.

I presume the reporter is outside with Merbel, because thinking about it, it might be sensible to brush Jyrras off with that excuse until she's gone.

Psaakyrn

Just a note... Didn't Jyrras already come to terms with his feelings for Dan in http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_646.php ?

Though it might be worse if he's actually attempting to plot Dan's wedding with Matilda.. and unknowingly discusses it with Dan.
Someone in the valley calls out to me;
A voice from the past, fading out fast;
Am I to be wary, do I have to be;
I just know, I have to be there.

MT Hazard

Quote from: Cogidubnus on December 10, 2006, 10:12:00 PM
Oh...devious... :mwaha

Amber manages to once again surprise. Poor, poor Jyrras...he keeps getting the short end of the stick, you know?

That's the second time iv heard that expression on these forums alone and Im sure its based on a mistake. You can draw the short straw (loose in a game of chance where there are a number of straws and the loser is the one who picks the short one) or get the wrong end of the stick (make a mistake, like pick up a stick your stirring paint with by the wet end)

however getting the short end of the stick? that makes no sense, if sticks are most straight they have no short end. There is a possibility I'm wrong but I'll need a good explanation of why.

Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Alablast

I hope Jy's just gonna tell Alexsi (Dan) that Merlitz (Abel) just blew up the lake.  I mean, that would be kinda akward...  And less embarassing for Jyrras.  >.<

Kasarn

Quote from: MT Hazard on December 11, 2006, 06:38:05 AM
Quote from: Cogidubnus on December 10, 2006, 10:12:00 PM
Oh...devious... :mwaha

Amber manages to once again surprise. Poor, poor Jyrras...he keeps getting the short end of the stick, you know?

That's the second time iv heard that expression on these forums alone and Im sure its based on a mistake. You can draw the short straw (loose in a game of chance where there are a number of straws and the loser is the one who picks the short one) or get the wrong end of the stick (make a mistake, like pick up a stick your stirring paint with by the wet end)

however getting the short end of the stick? that makes no sense, if sticks are most straight they have no short end. There is a possibility I'm wrong but I'll need a good explanation of why.

I'd assume it's another game of chance between two people similar to breaking a wishbone
You get a stick, each person takes an end and then they break it in two
Thus, short end of the stick.

Well, I would assume that if I didn't just type it into Wikipedia, which spits out
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tally%20sticks
In short, it's an old fashioned loan or IOU. The person in debt literally got the short end of the stick.

:tmyk

ShiningShadow

If this arc knowing Amber in the past of doing the complete opposite of what we just saw then as I see it this way Jy-Jy will Alexsi/Dan that he has very deep feelings for Lorenda but so afraid to go with his feelings and take the first step. As I see it he had tried in the past and ended up with an embarrassing moment when he said his feelings when his sisters were present. I think Jy-Jy is a very private person and tries to be open emotionally and characteristically with Lorenda. But in any case he waits for that right time to say what he really feels about Lorenda or Dan Or hell Kira for that matter. I have a feeling this is about Dan and If I was him in that situation I will play it off as Alexsi and try to give him the best advice I could as a friend.

Sid

Quote from: MT Hazard on December 11, 2006, 06:38:05 AM

Whether it's adapted or has an actual analogy, it's listed as a valid idiom on The Free Dictionary (which apparently takes it from the Cambridge International Dictionary of Idioms). I didn't find a good explanation where it came from, though.

Quote from: Psaakyrn on December 11, 2006, 06:08:10 AM
Just a note... Didn't Jyrras already come to terms with his feelings for Dan in http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_646.php ?

I think that's a case of denial. He tries to convince himself by reasoning that it's in Dan's interest blah blah, but deep down, he might still have a nagging feeling.

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 11, 2006, 06:06:03 AM
Quite.  It startled him, and he looked pretty surprised in the following strip, but he recovered pretty quickly and his immediate reaction wasn't "get away from me you freak!" or anything like that either.

Good point, yes. I guess that Dan has witnessed a fair share of weird stuff as an adventurer (not even to mention his own recent issues with his heritage) and simply doesn't waste much time with being shocked anymore.

Alternatively, Jyrras just came over to discuss his feelings for Lorenda with Dan. Or all in one: Lorenda, Abel, Dan... Or it's about the book (and Dan's knowledge of said book - even though Jyrras doesn't know about that one, I think...). Jyrras certainly has enough awkward things to discuss with his best friend ;)

AND OH MY GOD! NEW IMAGE IN THE XEPHER.NET BOX! AMBER IS TEASING US! D: D: D:

Kibin

For you people STILL thinking that the real Alexsi will just walk through the door and ruin the plan, Pyroduck and Mab know about the plan and can advert such an event...

Akisohida

I think Jy-Jys head will explode if the real 'Lexi walks in while Jy is talking to Dan/Alexi. :D
Amber-ism #700: If the problem isn't solved, there are still survivors you missed.

Alan Garou

I know that it's wrong on so many levels, but it seems to me that Danlexsi is getting cuter every comic. The pose in the second panel is absolutely adorable. And it shows cleavage! :3

MT Hazard

Looks like I was wrong on the whole stick thing, thanks to others for looking that up. I probably just jumped the gun because of the various damaged expressions out there. (The one I just used maybe in the wrong context.)

The British institute of stop being a chav or (B.I.O.S.B.A.C)

Teacher "Now repeat after me 'I haven't done anything'"

Class "I ain't done nothing"

Teacher "lets try that again..."
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

superluser

Quote from: e_voyager on December 11, 2006, 03:11:15 AMi've seen simlar poses like IN that technology comic when Dan was drunk and talking to the robot but i need to scan the archived to see if there and any concert examples.

No, that one was more similar to the pose in frame 1.  Dangling a finger off the table is a nice, active pose.  Plus, it will make it obvious when Danlexsi contracts his hand after the inevitable yerg.

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 11, 2006, 06:06:03 AMIf Dan plays it right he might be able to effect a successful put-down of Jyrras by role-playing his sister, assuming he doesn't flub his lines in the initial shock.  I can imagine Alexsi being somewhat surprised too, so it could work as long as he can keep from referring to himself as Dan.

But then we've got the other problem--what happens when Dan-as-Dan meets Jyrras again?  You don't have to be an incubus to know when the way someone relates to you has changed, and I'll bet Jyrras will know that Dan knows.

Which will mean that he will think that Alexsi told Dan, since Abel is unlikely to tell Dan.  And then Jyrras will ask Alexsi why she told Dan...

``And then it's right back to the carbonite.''

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Tapewolf

Quote from: superluser on December 11, 2006, 10:09:05 AM
Quote from: Tapewolf on December 11, 2006, 06:06:03 AMIf Dan plays it right he might be able to effect a successful put-down of Jyrras by role-playing his sister, assuming he doesn't flub his lines in the initial shock.  I can imagine Alexsi being somewhat surprised too, so it could work as long as he can keep from referring to himself as Dan.

But then we've got the other problem--what happens when Dan-as-Dan meets Jyrras again?  You don't have to be an incubus to know when the way someone relates to you has changed, and I'll bet Jyrras will know that Dan knows.

Depends how Dan handles it.  He might, for example, give Jyrras suggestions on how to break his crush to Dan (i.e. himself).  It still has the potential to go a bit astray if Jyrras thanks Alexsi for her help later on of course, and Jyrras is likely to react adversely if he sticks around long enough to see Abel revert Dan's form and then realises that he's told Dan.

On the other hand, Jyrras could be distracted at a critical moment, since the inn is liable to be assaulted at any time by Merlitz' gang (although I'm privately hoping for the 'gang assaults the real Alexsi and gets mashed by a voulge-wielding Mab' scenario)

Izkata

Hmm.... I just thought of something....

What if it's actually just about Wildy's book?  He doesn't know Dan knows about the book AFAIK, and he could be referring to the shonen-ai-torture bit....

superluser

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 11, 2006, 10:41:25 AMDepends how Dan handles it.  He might, for example, give Jyrras suggestions on how to break his crush to Dan (i.e. himself).  It still has the potential to go a bit astray if Jyrras thanks Alexsi for her help later on of course, and Jyrras is likely to react adversely if he sticks around long enough to see Abel revert Dan's form and then realises that he's told Dan.

I still say Jyrras would know that Dan knows.  The only way that this could work is if Danlexsi suggests that Jyrras slip a note to Dan.  That's horrible advice, as he wouldn't get the catharsis from discussing it.

At any rate, I think that it's most likely Jyrras would chicken out and not tell Dan, and then Dan forgets that he's hiding from Jyrras until he confronts Dan.

And then they meet, and it's a whole new level of awkwardness.  Dan knows that Jyrras is attracted to him, and also knows that Jyrras didn't follow his advice, and now it's super-awkward to broach the subject.

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 11, 2006, 10:41:25 AMOn the other hand, Jyrras could be distracted at a critical moment, since the inn is liable to be assaulted at any time by Merlitz' gang (although I'm privately hoping for the 'gang assaults the real Alexsi and gets mashed by a voulge-wielding Mab' scenario)

Meh.  I'm getting less and less enthusiastic about that happening.  They should notice that Alexsi doesn't have any transformation magic, and that she's coming the wrong way and has a different hair style and eyes.  Depending on what they know about warp-aci (I wouldn't be surprised if they know nothing), they might figure that she's the one being impersonated.

Or, since they probably don't all have detect magic skills, one of them attacks Alexsi and the others try to pull him off.  And then they tell Alexsi that she's being impersonated...

Unless... (too late!)

Alexsi has transformation magic.  It's hiding her head- and backwings from her `mother.'  See, Abel doesn't change base forms because of a rather traumatic experience he once had with Edward Ti'Fiona...

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Janus Whitefurr

Quote from: Izkata on December 11, 2006, 10:53:50 AM
Hmm.... I just thought of something....

What if it's actually just about Wildy's book?  He doesn't know Dan knows about the book AFAIK, and he could be referring to the shonen-ai-torture bit....

Fixed that for you.

....what?
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

GabrielsThoughts

it's not about the book at all, it's really Abel trying to patch things over between Dan and Jyrras, and he completely screws everything over.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

ShiningShadow

But in any case I think with Jy-Jy and Danlexsi I think he will give the advice on to how to handle this situation with Jy-Jy and Dan etc. Who knows I bet you Danlexsi will give great advice at this point.

Madmann135

me personally I think it's gonna happen something like this.

Jyrras looks at Alexsi (dan) for a moment, straight into her (his) green eyes then says "Alexsi what happned to your eyes, their green now," and that one sentence causes a cascade of questions  that stalls long enough for someone to come in and save Jyrras's little poofy tail.

OR

Merlitz (Abel) pops in after the photoshoot and says that the "interview is over Dan" or something along those lines and saves Jyrras's tail.

NOT

Jyrras tells Alexsi (dan) about his conflicting emotions, dangerous attractions and how he doesn't want it to harm his friendship with those that he cares about.

but that's my guess.  I serously doubt Amber will actually go through with this train of thought, I am betting that Amber has a twist in mind that saves Jyrras's tail. 

I'm still laughing over Kira's crush on Jyrras and how Deebs was the mature one.

Yes, I do post just to see my own words on the screen.

Sid

Quote from: Madmann135 on December 11, 2006, 12:50:51 PM
Merlitz (Abel) pops in after the photoshoot and says that the "interview is over Dan" or something along those lines and saves Jyrras's tail.

Yeah, that's my idle fear, too... :/

ninjannihilator

I'm guessing that Abel will save him in some form. :eager

Next comic going to be funny. So, much for Amber hating cliffhangers. Extra comic needs to come out today/tomorrow.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Sid on December 11, 2006, 01:11:56 PM
Quote from: Madmann135 on December 11, 2006, 12:50:51 PM
Yeah, that's my idle fear, too... :/

You mean the reporter isn't going to say 'thank you' to Alexsi, the owner of the inn?  How rude.  >:3

e_voyager

I'm betting that amber has a story bored sketch(at least) for the next three comics and is laughing at our guessing. and on that not.

i believe that the conversation will take place off screen was we see Merlitz (Abel) finishing up his display for the reporters then when we come back the the in Merlitz (Abel)  picked up on Dan's mental distress and the tow of them have a talk about Jy-Jy and what Able learned about him up at SAIA.
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

KarlOmega1

Quote from: Manawolf on December 10, 2006, 11:18:43 PM
His mind will break before the spell.

What I mean is that the mind shock from the info might break the spell...oh and as for debating the power of emotions, some of them can be so overpowering that it could break that spell.
I'm a Skype User.
Skype Name: Karaius

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 11, 2006, 01:59:00 PM
You mean the reporter isn't going to say 'thank you' to Alexsi, the owner of the inn?  How rude.  >:3

... which Alexsi? :-)

Quote from: Janus Whitefurr on December 11, 2006, 11:35:59 AM
Fixed that for you.

....what?

*snerksniggerchortle*
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

e_voyager

I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey