2006-12-02: News flash - Devin is a smartarse!

Started by llearch n'n'daCorna, December 01, 2006, 10:03:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boog

Well, wait. Devin may not know. Adventurers children having strange mutations were common around there. Remember the platapus girl? With the eyes on her hands? She's a prime example. He may just be saying "So what if Abel has wings?"

e_voyager

that fits with my notation and with what we read at the beginning of the story.
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Toric

Quote from: Manawolf on December 02, 2006, 11:17:37 AM
You people really need to start shaving with Occam's Razor.

No thanks, I'll stick to the forum favorite: the Convolux 4000! 20 blades that may or may not move in conjunction with each other! A computer chip that modifies your shaving experience due to important changes in atmosphere, including dust saturation, barometric pressure, and current global position relative to a certain, anonymous jumbo jet! The law of diminishing returns states that if you use it enough, after so many lacerations you'll get a perfect shave eventually!

The Convolux 4000: It could work!

[Edit] Right, relevant material to validate this post... So it seems Devin knows that wings are suspicious or at least unusual on an individual, but has said nothing about them to Abel. I wonder what the paladin knows that we, Abel, and possibly Devin don't. Want my bet? Pally thinks Abel's an angel.
Yap by Silver.

superluser

Quote from: Toric on December 03, 2006, 04:44:05 PMI wonder what the paladin knows that we, Abel, and possibly Devin don't. Want my bet? Pally thinks Abel's an angel.

I found out she's an angel
I don't think she knows I know
I'm worried that something might happen to me
If anyone ever finds out

(When you're following an angel does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?)

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Tapewolf

Quote from: superluser on December 03, 2006, 05:09:40 PM
[She's An Angel by TMBG]

This thread seems to be even more off-topic since I left it :P

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

superluser

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 03, 2006, 06:03:04 PM
Quote from: superluser on December 03, 2006, 05:09:40 PM
[She's An Angel by TMBG]

This thread seems to be even more off-topic since I left it :P

We're running out of avenues to speculate on!

Here's something--non-speculation, even!

I noticed that the third frame in this strip has a lot of head room for Devin.  I presume that that's supposed to emulate a high-angle shot, meant to emphasize the weakness or helplessness of the subject.

Anybody else want to discuss artistic techniques?

Grenn

I donno.... I think Xander's Dad's a Pygmy Shrew. :p

ShiningShadow

Who knows where this will lead I have a feeling that Devin and Xander and Abel will have to go against the the other group. I sense the oddness of them in a manner of bad guys. Let's see how this story progresses.

Sienna Maiu - M T

ShiningShadow

I think Devin is establishing himself a real solid character. I'm beginning to like this part of him very cool indeed. Btw TW that pic you have of Xander comparing it to the stainglass of that other being with the glasses? I have a feeling that being that Amber was drawing was in fact is her hence the glasses. I don't know maybe I'm wrong about this but this is something just popped in my head just now.

e_voyager

Quote from: Sienna Maiu - M T on December 04, 2006, 03:35:35 PM
I'm just loving Devin more and more now...

love is too strong a word for me but i can respect his  self image and determination to be himself.
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

ShiningShadow

That's why Devin is Devin a solid character the we closely associated with ourselves. We all have Devin inside of us with our smart ass response etc. I think we love the character of Devin to begin with.

Eibborn

I know I did. I adore jerks, if only because I could never truly be one regardless of how hard I try.
/kicks the internet over

ShiningShadow

who knows what else Devin can give us in the sense of his character. I for one want to know if Devin is still around at the point of Dan and Mabs time. Now answer me that Amber *please*.

Roureem Egas

I doubt that. Abel's Story is set a few centuries back before the current lifetime and I'm pretty sure Devin's not a Creature despite his ability to use ice magic. From what I remember, Creature/Being offspring generally look like the Being parent but may have inherited the Creature parent's traits if they become a Creature themselves.

That does make me wonder if Cythia is a Creature herself. Her own parents look like Beings, so that speculation might be null. That, or I missed out on the discussion at the time.

e_voyager

remember that adventures are hit by magical abilities and curses all the time maybe Cythia had mythos ancestry and her father was hit by a magical booster or a failed transformation spell that caused him to pass on his ancestry to her and this ancestry came with the extra eyes

superluser

Quote from: Roureem Egas on December 14, 2006, 11:37:50 AMI doubt that. Abel's Story is set a few centuries back before the current lifetime and I'm pretty sure Devin's not a Creature despite his ability to use ice magic.

Or...

Maybe Devin's in Aaryanna's jar.  Which would make Aaryanna Abel's...father?  The ages *do* match up...

e_voyager

the jar i understand but not the whole parent thing. after all i don't see it happened that she and able would be related like that and on such odd terms. there no love and no hatred just annoyance it doesn't add up to me

ShiningShadow

But that's something if Devin is in Aaryanna's jar the timeline do coincide or I'm wrong on this one am I? I'm just curious if anything has happened to the Devin etc. Or maybe it will be all explained when the Abel arc ends.

Tapewolf

Quote from: ShiningShadow on December 15, 2006, 07:19:42 AM
But that's something if Devin is in Aaryanna's jar the timeline do coincide or I'm wrong on this one am I?
Aary is about 50 in this timeline and therefore currently in SAIA.  I suspect that soul-trapping is something you learn there rather than something that 'cubi can instinctively do.

**EDIT**
To clarify: the jar thing probably happened within Dan's lifetime.

superluser

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 15, 2006, 07:25:25 AMAary is about 50 in this timeline and therefore currently in SAIA.  I suspect that soul-trapping is something you learn there rather than something that 'cubi can instinctively do.

We don't know when Aary joined SAIA.  Dan was volunteered for SAIA within a few days, but only because he knew an alumna.  Aary might not have known anyone, and thus roamed the wilderness hunting paladins.

It's also possible that she learned the soul trapping thing from somewhere else, much like Abel knows magic, but not from SAIA.

Also, Aary might have learned it from one of her parents, maybe a `cubi that might not have wanted her to go to SAIA, or perhaps she is a half-demon, and demons can do it, too.

Tapewolf

Quote from: superluser on December 15, 2006, 10:10:31 AM
We don't know when Aary joined SAIA.  Dan was volunteered for SAIA within a few days, but only because he knew an alumna.  Aary might not have known anyone, and thus roamed the wilderness hunting paladins.

Aaryanna was born a Cubi and raised a Cubi deep within one of the hidden cities. A rather prodigal child, Aary was enrolled early to the Cubi Acadamies where she excelled in many of her classes.

QuoteIt's also possible that she learned the soul trapping thing from somewhere else, much like Abel knows magic, but not from SAIA.  Also, Aary might have learned it from one of her parents, maybe a `cubi that might not have wanted her to go to SAIA, or perhaps she is a half-demon, and demons can do it, too.
Possibly, but since she seems to have spent most of her life in SAIA, I suspect she learned it there - that and the "I'm not fifty anymore," line which could be taken to mean that Fa'lina knew her at that age.

superluser

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 15, 2006, 10:25:05 AM"I'm not fifty anymore," line

Hmmm.  I can't find that line.  Not that I'm doubting it, just that my search-fu is failing me.

P.S. I just noticed that Destania doesn't have a marking on (at least the front of) her right shoulder (should have been visible in either #701 or #714).  Two solutions: either the place of the clan marking isn't the same for all `cubi, or she's over 9000!

Tapewolf

Quote from: superluser on December 15, 2006, 12:13:20 PM
Quote from: Tapewolf on December 15, 2006, 10:25:05 AM"I'm not fifty anymore," line
Hmmm.  I can't find that line.  Not that I'm doubting it, just that my search-fu is failing me.

http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_583.php

In any case she's been in SAIA for most of her life according to her profile and that she entered 'at an early age', which I'm assuming to mean 'younger than Dan'.

QuoteP.S. I just noticed that Destania doesn't have a marking on (at least the front of) her right shoulder (should have been visible in either #701 or #714).  Two solutions: either the place of the clan marking isn't the same for all `cubi, or she's over 9000!

She's 7026, and I think (but can't prove) that its location depends on the individual, not the clan.

Aridas

Devin can't be in Aaryanna's jar, because he isn't a knight and amber's not insane enough to plan such obscure details.

superluser

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 15, 2006, 12:40:11 PM
Quoteshe's over 9000!

She's 7026, and I think (but can't prove) that its location depends on the individual, not the clan.

Actually, I was referring to the power level.

``Most Cubi can die from normal means unless they are a certain power level.''
``There is also rumours that upon reaching a particular level of power, a Cubi gains a third set of wings.''

Maybe over a certain power level, they can obscure their clan marking?

As for power level 9000, it's one of those stupid internet memes.

Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on December 15, 2006, 01:29:06 PMDevin can't be in Aaryanna's jar, because he isn't a knight

I've suggested that Devin actually is a paladin, which would explain why knows so much about Glory, why he knows what quest she's on, and why he has taken an vow to protect all beings.